Tucson Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

Job was as adjunct faculty, substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 12, 2016
Difficult to review the company from the standpoint of a substitute teacher. Reserve judgment on some issues.

The teachers had a culture that did not include the substitute teacher. It was a closed system. I believe that if they depend on substitute teacher for 20% of the student's education that they need to factor in the substitute teacher's input in a meaningful way.

This is a good job for someone who likes autonomy on the job and works well without supervision.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
No benefits, No job security, No sense of corporate identification
Motivated staff ready to make a change
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 27, 2016
Love to motivate students to learn and grow to be productive citizens today and in the future. Excellent team collaboration and enjoy guiding and helping new teachers. Love the passion of students when they learn something new and how they grow together as a team and community in the classroom.
Pros
Continuation in growing in trade and molding our future, watching your students continue to grow through their education career.
Cons
Can be micro-managed at some school sites
Middle School teacher
Teacher - Alice Vail Middle School (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 30, 2016
I taught an elective subject (World Cultures) at a public middle school to three grades (6th through 8th). It was a full year curriculum. Students of all ages and abilities were included in all classes.

Teaching is an undervalued, underpaid job. Although there are many emotional reward, they do not outweigh the positives. After the second layoff, I decided to leave the profession.
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 11, 2015
Good work environment and good benefits. A typical day was spent teaching 5 classes and planning for hour. I learned a lot from this job. The management was fair. My co-workers were good people. The hardest part of the job was making time. The most enjoyable was the kids.
fun employees, long hours,good students
school bus driver (Former Employee) –  Tucson, Arizona 85746May 16, 2016
Getting up at 3:00 am. go to work Routes start at 4:00 clock run the routes picking up students and dropping off at high schools, middle schools, elementry schools both reg. and special needs and wheel chairs as well done by 9:30 am. is stay for lunch we did alot of cooking the lounge is huge and carpeted with pipe in music we have on a average day about 25- 40 drivers and monitors having fun for about 4 hours then we go back to driving routes at 2:00 pm. go to the schools at picking up students and taking them home and done by 5:00 pm. if I have a activitys late ones start at 6:00 pm. to 9:00 pm.
Pros
good peoples, good food, long hours, good pays
Cons
brakes are long working 9 and a half months out 12 months
Tucson Unified School District.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 6, 2015
Showing up at a certain scheduled at site such as a school, 1010, or a district warehouse and then going to about 2 to 6 site a day until the end of our work day. Sometimes taking a lunch if our work load wasn't heavy for the day or sometimes working through an 8 hour day eating on the run. Management was awesome but the district has been mismanaged a lot by previous super intendants. Awesome co-workers who work for the school district. Pay increases are few in the district for the workers especially teachers, custodians, etc. Pretty much from the middle of the District to the bottom. The school district really has a variety of hard working workers who work hard at doing their jobs.
Pros
Benefits good
Cons
Advancement
It was a good and secure place to work at. I enjoyed working with my coworkers management at times was rough but we managed through teamwork
Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 8, 2015
Good place to work at supportive management most of the time always learning something new in our area loved what I did. There were really busy days when we had to do new hire orientations and afterwards process all the paperwork ASAP when we had payroll deadline. Coworkers were the best we worked as a team and covered each other when one was not there.
Pros
worked as a team
Cons
sometimes management just didn't understand us especially when new management would come in
great job with kids
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 31, 2016
I worked for this company for over six years in different fields. I loved my job I got to work with kids which is my passion in life. I would make up assignments and help them work out any issues they had. Sometimes days were hard but at the end of the day I know I helped our future generation better themselves for a better future. I learned that everyone may be different but that doesn't mean they can't learn.
Pros
Better kids futures
Cons
To much bureaucracy / no caring about the employees
Maintained a fun and safe learning enviornment for young children.
Exceptional Education Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AzMay 11, 2015
I learned on a daily basis that children need and must start a new day with a clean sheet. They need to know that every day is a fresh start to meet their goals. I have learn to adapt to multiple ways of teaching, some of which works and some in which don't. The hardest part of this job is the physicality of this job, in the end its all completely worth it. The most enjoyable part of this job is that if I can make one ounce of a difference it means I am doing my job.
Pros
Making a difference in one childs life.
Cons
That there is not enough praise for this profession.
Challenging
Learning Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 12, 2016
Diligently helped to implement the mandated criteria of a Federally mandated Unitary Status Plan. Required a great deal of documenting. Enjoyed the fast pace of change. I learned how to embrace ambiguity.
Pros
Working to help remove learning barrier for all students.
Cons
Mandates kept changing.
Customer Service for students, staff, and student parents.
High School Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 5, 2015
One person office and school has an enrollment of 3,000 students so during peak times lines of students can be very overwhelming.

Working with students to assist them with the extracurricular activities was very rewarding, making sure the items required were purchased. Attending prom, winter formal and sports. Watching the marching band, steel drums and other fine arts perform during the lunch hour in the main mall. In general was very rewarding to support the staff, students & parents in the education environment.
All staff are supportive of each other and the needs of students are top priority.
Pros
Flexibiltiy.
Cons
Education funding.
working at TUSD is seasonal
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 2, 2015
Day starts with safety inspections and paper work. Then I move into location and customer service. Planning routes may be interesting but I enjoy assisting customers, particularly the hard to help. When I'm successful I feel like I have helped the customer accomplished something important in their day. This makes me feel fulfilled. Being able to complete my day- safely- is foremost on my mind. The last area of the day is again safety. Inspections and paper work.
Tucson Unified School District is a great place to provide service
School Guidance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 30, 2016
Counselor Position is greatly needed in this district. Large district with many high needs areas. Need to restructure in some areas.
Pros
Enjoy working with students
Cons
Less focus on counseling curriculum due to testing and behavior issues.
Easy going workplace
Assistant Register (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 4, 2015
Friendly staff. Easy going workplace. Some room for advancement. Easy transition from work and school. I worked here while attending the school.
Excellent work place
Interpreter-Translator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 5, 2015
Great Employer! Great co-workers and ethics. Very flexible in schedule. Very supportive boos and management. Very few opportunities to grow though, unless your path is education.
Love the staff, but administration is weak.
Exceptional Ed. Teaching Asst. (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 29, 2015
I have been with TUSD for over 10 years now. There is no room for advancement that is supported for my particular job. I have tried to move around in other jobs while there, but it hasn't happened. I definitely have grown tired of being in a rut.
Pros
Friendly teachers, children are always amazing.
Cons
Poorly run by the administration. No room for advancement .
my department
Student Finance Accounts Processor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 6, 2015
I work in a very busy department serving 108 schools....processing invoices daily, approving requisitions and processing purchase orders, dealing with vendors, preparing for the weekly check run. Also my department participates in the pcard program and we pay many vendors with a bank issued VISA card.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when the school will say thank you for rushing something through for them.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no overtime
The most enjoyable part about the job
SUPERVISOR-NICK MACKRES (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 1, 2015
I loved connecting with the kids and having holidays off to spend with family while working at Tucson Unified School District. Good place to work for a retired person!
Pros
Kids/ no work on holidays
Cons
only work 9 months a year
HR is where I belong...
Employee Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 11, 2013
I was given an opportunity to work in Human Resources at Texas Instruments and found my home!
I loved changing the Human Resource environment to a positive and energetic environment. Helping the employees with resolving employee’s concerns related to benefits issues, payroll issues, and other administrative concerns.
Coordinated on-going events including recognition lunches, dinners.
The hardest thing for me was when I supported consolidation process due to change in business charter resulting in a series of seven phases for reductions-in-force and a change in work shift schedules.
Pros
working with upper management
Cons
having to work difficult situations with the employees
Excellent supervision and professional growth.
Speech and Language Pathologist, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 20, 2015
Enjoyed staff and supervisor. Staff at elementary school were fantastic. They were caring and supportive of students.
Pros
Professional growth opportunities.
Cons
None to speak of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tucson Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.