Tucson Unified School District Employee Reviews

worked with wonderful principals, parents and children
4th Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 13, 2017
A typical day in the classroom at Tucson Unified School District TUSD was entering at 8:00am and sometimes not leaving until 7:00pm. Also needed to work 2-4 hours on weekends. Most of the time a 8:00am to 6:30pm job in order to fulfill all other teaching duties and computer work.

TUSD offered good professional development on state required items such as curriculum and instruction.
They have an excellent Language Acquisition department dedicated to keeping Bilingual Education Alive and well in the few Dual Language classrooms available. The office managers at each of the schools I taught at were kind, dedicated and hard working people.
Workplace culture was good. Friendly co workers willing to help as I was willing to help them as well.
Hardest part of the job was the limited salary for the teaching experience and college level experience I have. Also not able to travel as required by my Native American Language non-profit organization.

With an online full time teaching job I will be able to work from any city that I am at.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting, encouraging and seeing success in young students in their language development and overall educational success.
Pros
medical insurance benefits life insurance benefits social security
Cons
low salary, restriction in work location
Stable Employment
Naylor Middle School-Eng (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 12, 2017
TUSD is a strong district that has its ups and downs. Generally, the management tries to provide the best environment for their employees. Fellow employees have the best interests of children at heart.
Pros
Safe work environment
Cons
lots of documentation to complete
A great school district to learn from
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 11, 2017
A typical day included preparing to engage student learning. Working and collaborating with colleagues took place. The workplace culture at the school was vibrant and alive.
Very good school district, innovative and much training.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson,AZMay 1, 2017
I was employed with Tucson Unified School District for 23 years as an Elementary Lead Teacher. Much training and support from Principal. Enjoyed my job and encouraged to improve myself trough taking ongoing classes and staff training.
School Nursing
School Nurse RN (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 24, 2017
Typical work day included multiple cares needing to be provided at often more than one school by educational team that were not qualified to provide medical cares provided while it was the school nurses job responsibility to not only train but create an environment in which safe nursing practice would be provided to the community through the school health office.
Pros
So much work that needed to be accomplish and get done that every day was productive.
Cons
Limited time and resources to uphold job responsibilities, insufficient sallary to provide for basic living needs
Totally enjoyed working with children, teachers, and office personal.
Temporary Custodian (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 4, 2017
This is an elementary school. Students appreciated the way I cleaned their rooms, and my kindness, I would dust, vacuum, mop, clean windows, and clean restrooms in the rooms, and exterior restrooms. I got along with the teachers really well. I felt honored, taking down the flag, I felt by securing all gates, I was keeping teachers, and students safe.
Pros
The children, and teachers, were so kind and friendly.
Cons
Cockroaches in some of the rooms.
flexible with family schedule
Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 19, 2017
Health Staff Department has been wonderful to work with. Very professional and respectful. Enjoyed working with faculty and students attending to their needs, subbed around different schools and gained great positive experience.
The ability to grow and prosper
Tutor Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 27, 2017
Spent 13 years and started out in clerical then went to school and earned my bachelors. Which allowed me to move up and interaction with students. This allowed me to grow and learned new skills where I came out of my shell and achieve more than I can imagine
Pros
Success of students
Cons
politics
Kept me moving
Teacher's Aide / Monitor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 27, 2016
I started each day on the playground greeting children and parents, then moved to the classroom to assist the teachers and children in their day to day activities.
Great place to work with perfesional people.
Synergy Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2016
TUSD is a good place to work with great people working there. They have an energetic workforce and a caring staff who love what they do. I help train staff and faculty on the use of their new SIS (Student Information System). I also help provide instruction and guidance once our training classes are done. I provide help documents which I work with a team of trainers to develop for the district. As a trainer, I have refined my public speaking skills and developed a stronger sense of self while working here. My team has helped me as much as I have helped them, this is one of the best teams I have ever had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Great people to work with, understanding managment, with a family atmospher.
Cons
A lot of contract work and you have to pay for your own benifits.
Safely for Our Children Education
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 26, 2016
Good exercise in regular knowledge in the driving for Tucson district school and for the special needs students, service their needs for transportation for their safety as well as the health, good reward for recognize the safety for all student and the importance to fellow student every day by transportation, knowledge on behaviors on the bus as well in school. Reward comes with passion understanding the culture and life style of student to relationship, provide service to all student well-being to further their education and the their future.
Great Opportunity
Director of Instructional Technology (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 23, 2016
This is a great opportunity if you can stay focused and are willing to work hard. There are a large number of moving parts which can be confusing at times.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
Lack of communication
Not Good
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 12, 2016
Awful company. Only cares about the money and not their employees or the children. Unstable and supplies nothing for the teachers. Thinks it is necessary to pay their superintendent a ridiculous amount of money when he clearly does nothing to support his staff.
Challenging and rewarding
Intervention Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 19, 2016
Worked with emotionally disturbed and behaviorally challenged youth. While working with the kids was great the support system for staff was not and there needed to be more proactive as opposed to reactive solutions for problem-solving.
great job with kids
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 31, 2016
I worked for this company for over six years in different fields. I loved my job I got to work with kids which is my passion in life. I would make up assignments and help them work out any issues they had. Sometimes days were hard but at the end of the day I know I helped our future generation better themselves for a better future. I learned that everyone may be different but that doesn't mean they can't learn.
Pros
Better kids futures
Cons
To much bureaucracy / no caring about the employees
fun employees, long hours,good students
school bus driver (Former Employee) –  Tucson, Arizona 85746May 16, 2016
Getting up at 3:00 am. go to work Routes start at 4:00 clock run the routes picking up students and dropping off at high schools, middle schools, elementry schools both reg. and special needs and wheel chairs as well done by 9:30 am. is stay for lunch we did alot of cooking the lounge is huge and carpeted with pipe in music we have on a average day about 25- 40 drivers and monitors having fun for about 4 hours then we go back to driving routes at 2:00 pm. go to the schools at picking up students and taking them home and done by 5:00 pm. if I have a activitys late ones start at 6:00 pm. to 9:00 pm.
Pros
good peoples, good food, long hours, good pays
Cons
brakes are long working 9 and a half months out 12 months
Challenging
Learning Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 12, 2016
Diligently helped to implement the mandated criteria of a Federally mandated Unitary Status Plan. Required a great deal of documenting. Enjoyed the fast pace of change. I learned how to embrace ambiguity.
Pros
Working to help remove learning barrier for all students.
Cons
Mandates kept changing.
Middle School teacher
Teacher - Alice Vail Middle School (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 30, 2016
I taught an elective subject (World Cultures) at a public middle school to three grades (6th through 8th). It was a full year curriculum. Students of all ages and abilities were included in all classes.

Teaching is an undervalued, underpaid job. Although there are many emotional reward, they do not outweigh the positives. After the second layoff, I decided to leave the profession.
Motivated staff ready to make a change
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 27, 2016
Love to motivate students to learn and grow to be productive citizens today and in the future. Excellent team collaboration and enjoy guiding and helping new teachers. Love the passion of students when they learn something new and how they grow together as a team and community in the classroom.
Pros
Continuation in growing in trade and molding our future, watching your students continue to grow through their education career.
Cons
Can be micro-managed at some school sites
Job was as adjunct faculty, substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 12, 2016
Difficult to review the company from the standpoint of a substitute teacher. Reserve judgment on some issues.

The teachers had a culture that did not include the substitute teacher. It was a closed system. I believe that if they depend on substitute teacher for 20% of the student's education that they need to factor in the substitute teacher's input in a meaningful way.

This is a good job for someone who likes autonomy on the job and works well without supervision.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
No benefits, No job security, No sense of corporate identification

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tucson Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Tucson Unified School District Reviews by Job Title