TUFF SHED, INC. Employee Reviews

Very fast paced, no free time during busy season, opportunity to make a lot of money
Installer/prefabrication (Former Employee) –  Savage, MNDecember 7, 2017
Being in prefabrication, the day started at 330 a.m. and didn't end until everything was ready for the next day. Sometimes that would be 6 p.m. It was very stressful when management would demand more and more out of you. The work environment was awesome, great co-workers. Very relaxed group of guys, friendly, they become your friends. The new management that came in summer of 2012 killed that vibe.
Pros
Hard work, makes you feel accomplished. Fun atmosphere, something new everyday
Cons
New management. Overworked, under appreciated, worked to the bone. No free time
overworked not appreciated
former employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2017
very poor customer service, everyone overworked under paid , mangement only care about what benifits them , they will run the store and location to the ground. Hostile work enviroment , who would want to work in that enviroment .I cant believe that Corp doesnt question the high turn over
Awesome team and an overall great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hutchins, TXSeptember 11, 2017
I love my job, sometimes it has its days but what job doesnt? I just feel I have something bigger calling me and I want to advance so I'm exploring other career options.
Reliable and challenging place to work.
Builder/sub contractor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 11, 2017
Tuff shed is a reliable company to work for. You can make good money with them. Lots of traveling if you're willing to do so. They have offices in several places in the US.
Know what your getting into
Sales Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLJuly 9, 2017
Pros

Great product if built correctly. You get to interact with lots of interesting people. Have a product to fit most budgets. You can honestly tell customers the only limitations are their imagination and their budget.

Cons

You will see lots of negative reviews regarding pay. This is why. As a sales design consultant you are classified as an I 7 employee. This means you are not entitled to overtime pay it does not matter how many hours you work. Your floor rate is $12.50 per hour or 150% of minimum wage. The commission rate is 5.5% up to 8.5% depending on how much money you collect (don't confuse this with your sales objective) in the YEAR. You have to put in an insane amount of hours to meet objective or make any real money as a result you can toss out any semblance of work life balance. You will be regularly encouraged to pick up the company provided phone on your day off. You are working for a licensed general contractor that has a vary casual understanding of the Florida building code. While I was there Tuff Shed's license in Duval county was suspended at least once. In Clay county it was suspended multiple times. Tuff Shed had expanded into Florida previously and pulled out because of the recession but also because the permitting process is one of the most difficult in the nation. You will spend at least half your time dealing with issues that have nothing to do with sales. See above. Management will spend a lot of time talking about sales and objectives and extremely little talking about money. While I worked there I would regularly pull up commission reports
  more... that were wrong or incorrect and management was not exactly eager to fix the problem. Also don't expect that you will get a copy of your commission report with your paycheck (you won't). This is the only sales job I've ever held where you weren't clearly told exactly what you being paid for.

Advice

Get it fixed
Everybody in the company is overworked
Sales Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJune 29, 2017
Co-workers were really nice and helpful.
Everybody in every department is overworked and nothing is ever good enough for management. All they care about is KPI's. You can do all of your work but if you don't make sure it is logged in their micro management system it is like you didn't do it at all.
Expected to work overtime and on days off at the drop of the hat. Very hard to get a break to take lunch because the customers keep needing to be helped. You get in trouble for not taking a break and in trouble for not helping the customer. Expect to be on call 24/7/365. I got a "urgent" text from my manager at 6AM on NEW YEARS DAY! They are in a class action lawsuit about these issues right now and a settlement is just being finalized to the tune of $900,000.00. Looks like I am not the only person who has experienced this it is the same nationwide.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
overworked and underpaid
Vampire Company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 24, 2017
This company will suck the life out of you. It is 6 days a week from basically from 7am to 9pm and you must have your phone on every Sunday ... and still the managers will want more. Poor mileage reimbursement, (expect at least 300-400 miles weekly), poor pay. Bad training.
Pros
Working with Home Depot.
Cons
Working with Home Depot.
Micro Managing
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 7, 2017
They are too focused on processes than results. They treat experienced, proven sales people like entry level rookies who are trying to rip off the company. Their mileage reimbursement policy is a complete joke. Once you build up a territory, they reduce your number of stores. You get no rewards for doing a great job, they just cut your income significantly. If you want to be halfway successful, you constantly have to answer your phone, even on nights and weekends. They go through regional sales managers constantly. These managers fail because they never have done the job themselves, they are typically hired from other companies including Home Depot. They try to push you at the end of months like that somehow matters when you work on STRAIGHT COMMISSION. It doesn't matter what day of the calendar it sells to a commissioned sales person.
Pros
Out in the field, working with Home Depot associates.
Cons
Micro managing. Clueless management.
cant be scared of work
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 25, 2017
depending on location where I worked I was scared for my job..... I was in a area where sales were not in a good place which was nothing on the company, just wasn't placed In the best spot in my opionion
Will Lie
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 4, 2017
You drive about 250 miles a day in your own car. So if you go to work for them you better have a reliable, car. Learned not to trust people. Management is not great. They lead you on to believe , things that are not true. Plus you drive your car all over the state . Not real fair about reimbursement . Stay away .
Pros
Meet People
Cons
Lies
Lacks continuity of Management Style
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 26, 2017
Great product with some very good people. However, company focuses more attention on quantity than quality by using sub-contractors to deliver finished product and does not pay for the labor quality to match the product.
Company in existence for more than 35 years, yet management policies continuously change with seeming little or no consideration of cause and effect.
Pros
Very good people
Cons
Weak management policies and business model.
Hard place to work
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 26, 2017
It really is a grind, management is the worst, they want you to produce as many sheds as possible. Hard place to work if you have family. More sheds you get out the more of a bonus the GM's get. Corporate people come in an try to make change, there ideas usually fail. Don't know when you will be off work from day to day. Need to work fast or they get mad.
Benefits
Cons
Hard work, long hours, no advancement
Best job I have ever had
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNDecember 30, 2016
I have worked in sales my entire adult life. This is the most fun job i have ever had. In Minnesota, we have a extremely knowledgeable and awesome General Manager. There are a lot of good people I work with. Good pay if you try. I know there are a lot of negative reviews about Tuff Shed, but I am thoroughly enjoying my career here.
Pros
Good pay, you don't get micromanaged if you perform, good benefits
Cons
winter time in MN is kinda slow
Not good
SDC (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 24, 2016
I do not wish to give my location and for my review to be private, but this place is a joke, Turnover is over 100 percent annually, they get upset over everything, Customer can lie and blame you and get money back. Speaking of money, business like Subway and MdDonalds pay more. The companies computers suck, know one knows how to work them and no one can help you. They are the highest priced vendor, Home Depot sells the same product, made by Tuff Shed for 40 percent less. They want you to email every Tom, Dick and Harry in your database every three or four days, which is stupid. The key question is how many people have had this job in the past say three years.
Pros
Free use of company rest room
Cons
which page
Avoid this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 6, 2016
Incredibly bad leadership and direction. You get one directive from the manager and then the regional manager comes to town and says you're doing it wrong. Everything is a firedrill at this place. Very dysfunctional workplace due to poor management
Pros
Cons
High turnover, poor compensation, dysfuntional chain of command
Not a good company locally or nationally to work for or advance
Admin (Former Employee) –  KentuckyOctober 25, 2016
I left this company a few weeks ago after a very short time period. The job is tedious without any support at the corporate level. Turnover is apparently very high due to this. Upper management is a joke and values no one.
The best decision I made was to leave. No job is worth that amount of stress. They just throw you to the wolves literally. Sales people are not trained properly or well. One of the worse companies I have worked for in 15 years. I could go on and on. I would not recommend this company to anyone
Pros
Cons
Too many to list.
This place is a grind
Sales Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 8, 2016
Poor management. Sales staff is treated very poor. Your regional managers and store management get bonuses for your hard work. The sales people get no credit for making the money. To reward for your hard work. Commision structure is set so the guys at the top make the money. The employee experience is terrible, zero team building exercises, no picnics , no family time. Just work 6-7 days for free. Home Depot is your biggest competition . They sell the same shed for a fraction of the price. Production is run very poorly. You think a building will get installed just for the contractor to not show up. Management tells you to tell the customer the truck broke down. They always want you to lie to customers. Lie to the government. Lie to OSHA. This company exploits the employee. Typical cooperate gamut. When it comes to safety they don't give a hoot. Poor work conditions. What a joke. I've realized that they want you to quit so they can get new blood , and then bamm your screwed. Beware of this poorly run cooperate monster. They will chew you up and spit you out!!!
Pros
Cons
No such thing as a lunch break, no bonus, no assistance from management, no mentor ship. Training is horrible
Great product, poor management
Worker bee (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 23, 2016
Tuff Shed makes a great product but falls short on management. An major issue is customer satisfaction due to contractors bad mouthing the company, building sheds poorly, and lack of follow up from management.
Communication is not consistent from the top down. The general managers do not follow the company plan or play the blame game. The regional managers are overwhelmed with issues and are not able to effect change where needed. Training is not a priority and safety is glossed over, here sign this make sure you watch the video.
It made a hard job even harder.
Pros
Set your own schedule, meet great people.
Cons
Management not clear, under value people who want to work.
Don't be fooled into taking this position.
Asm (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 11, 2016
This job is commission only and you drive 80% of the time. They expect you to work 6 days a week every week and you're on call 24/7 it seems like. No organization especially at the local Lubbock location. GM has a bad temper makes business decisions based on feelings.
Loved working for Tuff Shed
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 29, 2016
I had an excellent relationship with all of my contacts across the US factories with Tuff Shed. My HR co-workers were all very east to get along with and my direct supervisor was one of the best ever!