Tulane University Employee Reviews in United States

Too much turmoil
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 30, 2015
The "Tulane" reputation is quite true. It is big business, there is little concern for the community, and things are managed with only the interest of major donors in mind. Specifically, the smaller institutions attached to Tulane have horrible management- or mismanagement-, are only focused on the bottom line and treat their employees as numbers. Fortunately, this is not true of all departments and institutes associated with Tulane. There are several examples of great leadership, caring approaches to business practices and good, ethical decisions. The salary is great. The benefits are also pretty good.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Career Advancement, management, decision making
Co-workers are nice people.
CTU Research Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 20, 2015
I have been in research for the past 17 years. Although the name of the department and department heads has changed several times, I have always been employed at Tulane University throughout my research career.

Presently everyday is different. Either: Tackling IRB email issues, developing study related documents, assisting other coordinators, meeting with investigators, preparing IRB submission documents, recruiting or calling subjects or preparing for study visits. My day is full of things to do. There is always a to do list that never seems to end.

I have learned much over the past 17 years about coordinating studies. The in's , outs' and shortcuts to coordinating. Still learning, everyday.

Management - Tulane is not a employee friendly employer. Little room for advancement or raises. Been experiencing this for quite sometime. Had enough and ready for a change.

Co-workers are fun. I train for local runs with one co-worker.

Hardest part - Knowing that I am not being compensated for the amount of years I have been doing this job.

Enjoyable part - meeting new people.
Pros
Tuition waiver
Cons
One CTU Nurse coordinator doing the job of 3. No help
Great opportunities
SR HRIS/BENEFITS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 8, 2015
Fun place to work the Benefits team are wiling to work hard to ensure the employees are happy. The best of job is making a difference with the employee. The most part of my current job is learning a new system and being challenged to write reports and assist with some of the compliance issues we are facing.
Pros
Free Tution
Almost like an internship for IT Career
ONSITE TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 11, 2016
As an onsite technician I was responsible for responding to any hardware or software issues that could not be resolved when users called the help desk. I worked out of a ticketing system in which my boss would assign and track work tickets as they progressed. For particularly challenging cases I would inform my coworkers of the methods that were successful in restoring the system to normal working order. This allowed me to deal with many different faculty and staff in a one on one setting and really helped develop my customer relations skills while I gained experience in the daily corporate world of IT. Tulane University is the largest private employer in Louisiana and has over 5000 faculty and staff.
Pros
Experience in a corporate network environments
Cons
Federal student worker pay is set at 10$.hour
Work at school or home
Research Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 27, 2016
To investigate the compensation for portfolio managers in different companies. Collect and Compare them from SEC website.
Accomplished administrative professional in healthcare
Admin Prog Coordinator Dept of Neurology (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 11, 2016
Accomplished administrative professional with over 40 years experience across several fields and work environments. Effectively navigated 5 national accreditation program reviews and contributed to the successful graduation of 30 residents/fellows. Established, managed, and maintained communication channels both within the organization and between the organization and the external community. Managed the budget on federally awarded grants.
Difficult environment
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 24, 2016
My partners on the media project I was conducting were in India which meant communication was done over Skype and was time sensitive and challenging.

The overall supervisor was very specific with what she wanted the project to look like, though not always able to communicate those requirements and often ended up doing work herself. Her colleague, who was also supervising the project, was insulting, frustrating and confrontational.
Cons
lack of communication
Improving speaking skills and having fun with students/
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 19, 2016
For a non-native speaker, the assignment for TA real improved my speaking skills and the quality of communications between students and me. As I taught more classes, I had better controls on the materials I learned before and was also inspired by some fantastic ideas put forward by my students.
Great atmosphere and incredibly friendly people to work with at the Reily Center
Group Fitness Instructor & Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 21, 2015
It was such a blast teaching group fitness classes at Tulane's Reilly Center. The other instructors were very friendly and the members were so much fun to interact with on a daily/weekly basis. Also, management was very open to any suggestions or ideas that my coworkers and I came up with and they took swift action to get it done.
great place to work
Director of Recruiting (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 12, 2016
athletic department provided many professional development opportunities that helped make employees more successful in their fields. Great work environment.
Everyone was hard working in my department. It was a team we all helped each other
Outpatient coder II (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work. I receive my work from a co-worker who's duty is to clean and scan ER records. I work a list of all outstanding OB?GYN accounts when I am finished with the ER records.

I have learned a lot from the Inpatient coding as far as coding certain diagnosis'. Management has always been fair and kind to me.
I love my co-workers and will miss them. Another company is taking over.

The hardest part of my job is trying to get the Physicians to document properly and complete their records.

The most enjoyable part of my job is all of the people that I became friends with over the last 16 years that work in other departments, it's a small hospital so every one knows each other.

I miss working for Tulane-Lakeside Hospital. My co-workers are great and more like family.
Pros
I loved that job and know exactly what was expected of me.
Cons
another company is taking over and splitting up a great team
Tuland University is a fun and productive place to work.
Account Analyst 3rd Party Accounts (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 23, 2015
Tulane University is a diverse company. The campus is busy seven days a week. Tulane do reward their employees with time off during the Christmas and New Year holidays. My co-workers are great group of people and we work well together. The hardest part of the job is letting calls from unhappy parents and trying to keep them happy with Tulane University.
Pros
Time off, healthcare, flexiable work schedule, free tuition for self and children, special events, etc.
Cons
Low pay, hard to move up the ladder
Relaxed research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 27, 2016
Literature research in the Latin American Library was my favorite, hours were flexible for being a student. Nothing was hard about the job besides being able to sync EndNote into Box and also finding storage memory on my phone for scanning/copying pages
Great Resource
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 23, 2016
Provides many resources for students in a great and comfortable environment. All employee's are approachable and easy to talk to, creating a safe space for students.
Great!
Senior Financial Aid Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 15, 2016
An average day at work consist of time management, learning how to balance all duties and responsibility given and provide outstanding customer service.
Temp Position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 30, 2015
•Enter transfer credits, major declarations, and update worksheets for Tulane students.
•Provide direct administrative support to the Department of Comparative Medicine.
•Submit animal orders for research and testing.
•Maintain calendar for Veterinarian surgery schedules.
•Enter data into database programs, fax, copy, file and distribute mail throughout dept.
very nice
informal rec (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 25, 2016
i spent 4 months working there part-time. every employees are nice to me and the managers had been teaching me stuff. i've learned how to cooperate with others and communicate with customers.
Machinist
Machinist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 9, 2016
I fix pumps, and anything else that brakes on campus. Work a lot of over time hours due to needing to shut down buildings sometimes.
Low salary/great schedule
Technology (Former Employee) –  AcademicsMay 20, 2013
Having worked at several universities, I can say that Tulane is one of the most poorly run universities out there. Senior Administrators make high salaries without having to perform. Remaining staff must make do with a 1% raise each year regardless of performance. The best qualified staff often leave to make a living wage somewhere else. The staff that remains are mostly ones who need the tuition waiver, health benefits or can't find employment elsewhere. Directors are rarely competent and almost never dismissed, even when they are responsible for serious mistakes, such as losing laptops with social security numbers on them.
Pros
great work schedule
Cons
uncompetitive pay
A great place to work!
Accounting Office/Property Accounting (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 13, 2015
A day at work is always interesting in my field. I'm in contact with so many people each day. Constantly keeping track of university and grant funds. I've learned so much in my nineteen years. The most enjoyable thing has been interacting with so many different people. You can always learn something new.
Pros
Stability

4.4