Tulsa Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Tulsa Public Schools
Para Professional/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 18, 2016
TPS is a great company to work for with great insurance benefits and great people to work with. The only thing lacking is wage increase or advancement pending education background and availability. Otherwise a very stable job and get your nights and weekends off.
Pros
stability of hours
Cons
no room for advancement in pay
Would not work here
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 28, 2016
You have to be a VERY special person to be able to go to work in the TPS school system. It is a definite culture shock if you are not used to, have the patience and a special calling to teach these children it can be very difficult. Bless all the teachers that are able to teach in this environment and in ANY school these days.
Cons
Students behavior, no principal support, lack of resources
play while you are learning
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 6, 2016
In 20 years of working for Tulsa Public Schools it has been an amazing experience. I have learned so much from some pretty awesome teachers. I have had many opportunities to sub in the classroom, tutor children, supervise children, and help them select appropriate books for their age and grade level. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job is being out for all of the vacations and not getting paid for those days that I miss. But the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the difference that I made in their lives. I know this because over the course of all these years I have had countless students come back to visit me or send me letters through other family members who are currently enrolled here. It really touches my heart to see what I have accomplished with these children.
Pros
free lunches and work stability
Cons
summer breaks and holiday breaks which you are not paid for
Many Challenges, Benefits are OK
Biology Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 13, 2015
This district is dichotomous in that it has really great places to work (schools with lots of funding and plenty of resources) as well as bad places to work (little to no funding and resources, poor leadership). Overall leadership seems oblivious to the realistic struggles and support systems for new teachers are lacking. Benefits are decent due to it being a state government job. Holidays are frequent.
Loved the people I worked with.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed my job very much. Any stress for this job is for the obvious reasons. Teaching can be tough and so can monitoring teenage students. I very much loved the staff at the school I worked for and recommend assisting to anyone interested in a teaching career. This is a great opportunity to see how you like the environment. The only reason I'm not there any longer is because I realized teaching is not for me.
Pros
Great environment, great people, good for getting a feel for being a teacher and what they do.
Cons
Not really a con however, it can be stressful monitoring kids in a teaching fashion
Autistic classroom
Administrative Assistant/Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 29, 2016
A typical day in this particular class is most of the time slow paced. Going over work that students need help on, feeding, and changing. I learned that patience plays a big part of your everyday life. Not everyone is capable to perform everyday life skills like you are. My coworkers are amazing. We all are on the same page when it comes to giving the best to these students. The hardest part of my job here....is that fact that it is NOT a year round job. I have a child and I need every hour I can get to provide for her. The most enjoyable thing is to watch the Autistic students smile!
Hard but rewarding work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 1, 2015
Teachers are a dedicated bunch of professionals working to make the world a better place. I consider it one of my greatest accomplishments to have worked with this fine group of self sacrificing individuals.
Pros
Friendly people committed to a common, good goal
Cons
Low pay and long hours
Never a dull day
Registrar/Attendance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 16, 2016
There is no typical day at work; it is a different day each day. I have learned that I am more of a people person than I thought. I can control my reactions and provide service with a smile no matter what. The hardest part of the job is dealing the inconsistent enforcement of rules regarding parents and students. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the growth of the children and teachers daily.
Pros
Good hours, holiday's off.
Cons
bad pay, health insurance is expensive, no paid vacation, no paid holiday
its Ok
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 15, 2015
It seasonal work hours aren't consistent The management is so so blah blah blah blah blah ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Great Benefits, Pay not so good
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 29, 2015
Benefits are nice, but that is about it.
The atmosphere is very laid back at the Education service center. Everyone is nice and friendly. A typical day depends on your immediate supervisor. My supervisor does not require deadlines to be met. Work or jobs are distributed between each member of the department.
Pros
Plenty of PTO
Cons
Work Culture needs help
Tulsa meets challenges with energy and intelligence.
Principal (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 27, 2016
Tulsa has about 87% poverty students and seeks to improve the lives of our students through education. We have been challenged by recent budget cuts. Teachers are not well-paid and morale is low though professionalism and dedication are steady.
Pros
Caring and dedicated professionals
Cons
OK legislature has affected our budget
para professional
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 26, 2016
the job is great the children that I had the pleasure of working with. I was told that they will be going on to other schools. My co workers were great. Which none are returning to the school this coming up year.
Pros
my schedule was great not 40 hours
Cons
breaks were little but it was ok
Elementary Schools
Substitute/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa OkOctober 21, 2015
Tulsa Public Schools
Elementary School
Kids (k-5)
Diverse
Job Security
Great company if you love to work with kids and parents. Oklahoma is always hiring for teachers,teacher asst, subs.
Good people
Compliance Technician, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 17, 2015
Most of the people I came across were genuinely nice who wanted to make differences in lives of people and children that they came into contact with, but like many other places, bureaucracy and administration got in the way.
benefits
Cons
micromanagement
Very stressful, but rewarding
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 13, 2016
I enjoyed the ability to inspire student, but the worst part about the job was the administration and their actions. I would suggest a reorganization of TPS and it's administration.
Exciting and productive place to work
Aftercare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 5, 2016
The facility was always positive and consistently looking for opportunities for improvement. Fast paced and up beat to keep the children interested
School Secretary
Head Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 17, 2015
I loved working at an elementary school. Interacting with the students was my favorite part of the job. They brightened my day coming through the office or running up and hugging me in the hallway. I had some very nice co-workers and enjoying working with every one of them. Overall, I loved the job. The only reason I left the job was because it was a 9 month a year position and I needed to make more money. I have absolutely no complaints about this job!
Pros
Wonderful work environment; loved working with elementary school children! Great co-workers!
Cons
Only a 9 month a year position.
Some of the best teachers in Oklahoma
Classroom teacher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 16, 2016
Urban school district with many challenges. However, the district typically provided the resources to implement programs to ensure student successes.
Manage SPED children
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 24, 2015
An assessment of needs for each school may vary, and plans to implement them vary. Developing IEPs and their maintenance is a very rewarding experience.
Pros
new challenges
Cons
always have a fun day at work
Cheerleading Coach (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 31, 2016
a typical day at work is working hard to get the job done correctly and in a timely manner. I learned about orginzation of documents and phyical forms.