Tulsa Public Schools Employee Reviews

Very disorganitized
Driver (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 4, 2015
Pros: The kids
Cons: the company
I would clock in grab my route book and then I would walk out to the bus. I would check all the fluids under the hood then I would start my Pre-Trip inspection of the bus that I was driving. Then I would start my route to anywhere from 3-5 schools for the morning. Making sure that the students got to there destination in a orderly and safe fashion. Then I would go back to the lot and file out all the necessary paperwork for that shift, and turn into the dispatch office.
Paraprofessional
Para (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 2, 2015
The job was rewarding working with the special ed students. The classroom size was 14 kids with a para and a teacher. I also taught math.
Growing district
Administration (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 29, 2015
Pros: Professional learning opportunities
Cons: Balancing work and home life
This district is growing in its expertise on how to reach all students. It is currently making adjustments in order to accomplish this goal.
Great Benefits, Pay not so good
Accounting Technician (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 29, 2015
Pros: Plenty of PTO
Cons: Work Culture needs help
Benefits are nice, but that is about it.
The atmosphere is very laid back at the Education service center. Everyone is nice and friendly. A typical day depends on your immediate supervisor. My supervisor does not require deadlines to be met. Work or jobs are distributed between each member of the department.
Great work environment and great staff.
Health Assistant (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 22, 2015
I have worked for TPS for seven years now. First as a Teacher Assistant and currently as the Health Assistant. The staff and management are great. Very welcoming and I have enjoyed working there.
Meaningful work in a changing environment
Community School Coordinator (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 20, 2015
Pros: Relationships
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working with students, families, staff and the community. The program I work for is eliminated as of June 30, 2015, so I have to seek a position elsewhere.
It's a tough job
Police Officer (Current Employee), tulsa, okJune 19, 2015
I enjoy TPS, but I do not enjoy the pay. It's a really tough job that takes a certain kind of person to do it. It's a tough day and age to be a Police Officer with the media.
Good people
Compliance Technician, Special Education (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 17, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: micromanagement
Most of the people I came across were genuinely nice who wanted to make differences in lives of people and children that they came into contact with, but like many other places, bureaucracy and administration got in the way.
Substitute taught middle school and high school
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 11, 2015
Served as substitute teacher in TPS middle and high schools while conducting my career search. Conducted my career search while working part time as a teacher at my alma mater.
Great opportunity provided for professional development
High School Teacher (Current Employee), High SchoolJune 11, 2015
Pros: District does really care about teachers and their concerns.
Cons: Some urban school settings - if that is a con
Worked for TPS for many years and other districts in area too. TPS offers so many classes, workshops and training for their teachers. Student load much lower than Union Public. Much opportunity and support and would recommend highly for new or experienced teachers.
Nice quiet school.
Custodian (Current Employee), Eugene FieldsJune 2, 2015
I have six and a half hours to finish twelve classrooms seven bathrooms and a kitchen. Trash, Vacuuming, Bathrooms. I work five to 11 Monday-Thursday.
Decent Beginning
Janitor (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMay 30, 2015
Typical work day required heavy lifting
Great environment,Decent Management
More room on advancement needed
employees should not do supervisors work without supervisor
pay. However job was enjoyable.
A place where every interaction with a child can be an opportunity to make a difference in a child's life.
Counselor/Social Worker Hamilton Elementary School (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKApril 29, 2015
Pros: Ability to help others face difficult challenges
Cons: Difficult to leave job behind at end of work day.
A typical day includes providing groups and classes to children and support to staff. I learned I am able to provide encouragement and support to children and adults facing challenges. Management is often unavoidably hampered as a result of expectations at both the federal, state and local level. Co-workers were supportive and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job is taking home the knowledge of the difficulties of student's lives. The most enjoyable part is making a positive difference in a child's life.
na
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Training traveling managerMarch 27, 2015
Currently working as a manager in training for school cafeteria's working hours with the school manager that I am working at. (ie. Memorial H.S. 2/26/2015 to 3/12/2015 7:30am to 3pm and Key E.S. 3/23/2015 to current 7am to 2:30pm)
Never a dull moment while teaching children.
Special Education Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 10, 2015
Pros: working with children. different location. picking your own hours.
Cons: lack of communication with subs. very short lunches. and no bathroom brakes.
Substitute teaching in large school district one has to have plenty of love, patience and flexibility.
What I have learned is that each school has their own way of operating within the Oklahoma's Core Curriculum so every assignment is different from school to school, but not the students.
Classroom management it the greatest challenge then administrative management is second. Once you have learned the rules of each school, you can ease into what you came to do and that is to be around and teach children. That is what I am there for. I love helping children learn and how to succeed with their education.
enjoyed the snow days
Paraprofessional in Special Educational Department (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: great lunches, birthdays, and holidays
Cons: micromanaging is the name of the game
The game changes every day, there is always some new directive in place before the old directive has had a chance to work, ever changing.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKFebruary 18, 2015
The role of a substitute teacher ensures there is no interruption in our students’ educational
process. Provide instruction and direction to students in absence of regular teacher.
Knowing the food that you prepare or helped prepare for children brings joy to their faces.
Cafeteria/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKFebruary 8, 2015
I was the assistant manager in the cafeteria for Tulsa Public Schools. I would prepare breakfast everyday and sometimes lunch if the cook was off that day. I would do the rosters for breakfast and assist the manager. I would also assist other schools if they were short-handed. I would help my co-workers if it was needed. I'd wash dishes to lighten the load off my co-workers. I enjoy working with people that enjoy their job, or even if they don't I'll try to help them see the best features in that job and not to look at the negative. The only hard part was leaving, but my help is needed at home with my dad.
Great place for retirees
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: shifts
Cons: 9 month employee
Tulsa Public Schools is a great place to work if you are wanting part time work.
n/a
custodian (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKDecember 27, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: low pay short breaks
A typical day at Tps was hard work any custodian work is hard especially in a public school , But I tried to give it my best . I learned that no matter how hard I worked it was not hard enough . Management is another issue that I do not want to get into . Some co -workers were very nice to work with . The hardest part of the job was that due to medical problems I have I could not keep up with the demands of that job and my Pain Doctor told me it would be detrimental to my health if I kept that job So I was forced to leave etc. .
The most enjoyable part of the job was when everyone went home after 5:00 and I was at the school there by myself so I could finally do my job without any interruptions .