Turkey Hill Minit Markets Employee Reviews

Poor management and employee morale and work ethic
Part-time Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAJanuary 20, 2016
Management was mostly unreliable and unprofessional. Gossip was commonplace. Management did not provide good training, or example of work ethic.
Goals and expectations changed without notice. Staff meetings were held at random times, some inconvenient for employees.
Employee morale was poor, customer service was poor. Their was no equity in regards to disciplinary action for broken rules or missed expectations.
Machinery was constantly breaking, some was not safe for use by employees.
Some co-workers were fun to work with, some couldn't be trusted.
Pros
some friendly co-workers
Cons
poor management, work ethic, employee support, pay rate
Success and happiness in a workplace
HVAC Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 10, 2015
I learned after 15 plus years to be positive and appreciate the things you achieved. We all make mistakes and I learned to learn from them.
Pros
A job that had every day of something different to do and to travel to
Disorganized and poor communication
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PANovember 23, 2015
The worst company I have ever worked for. Upper level management communicate in an antiquated and tedious manner. They say one thing and do another, follow through is very difficult to achieve. There is a serious break between the upper management (the corporate structure) and the store personnel. A regional manager can be quoted stating that "all hourly employees are liars, cheats and thieves." on several occasions. During manager meetings and while touring stores on the sales floor, these are the kinds of statements made. This is the mindset of those in charge, they preach team work and great customer service, but they make their employees feel like they are nothing, untrustworthy and disrespected. Store managers routinely work an excess of 70 hours and the reputation of the company makes it very difficult to hire anyone, let alone qualified individuals. Not to mention the very low pay scale for hourly employees. Most stores are under staffed and constantly reprimanded with little done about the lengthy hiring process (an excess of 3 week possible) an lack of applications coming in. There's an old saying that "the fish rots from the head". This company is a prime example of the corporate structure needing to be seriously revamped.
Pros
Management pay scale is decend
Cons
Too many to list
Great co-workers
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAOctober 27, 2015
Fast paced customer service based company. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and the regular customers.
Hard work and sometimes fun
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 21, 2015
Turkey Hill is a company that makes you work very hard. It depends on who your manager is and who you work with. If you have awesome co-workers, going to work doesn't seem so bad. Hardest part is learning lottery, but you get the hang of it. Most enjoyable part is the regular customers.
Excellent place to work
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 9, 2015
Treats employees with respect. Genuinely cares about employees. Owned by Kroger but still exemplified small town business.
Day as a manager at Turkey Hill
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes Barre PASeptember 26, 2015
Typical day at work was very busy and always multitasking, I would the start the day with doing paperwork, counting money and entering the information into the computer, then getting the deposit to the bank. Then I would assist with customers and whatever tasks needed to be done around the store, for example making coffee and filling coolers, then I would be back in my office responding to emails, looking at new applications for new employees, or watching video and checking transaction journal for anything suspicious. Then I would have to check competitor's gas prices and help out more with customers and stocking and cleaning the store.
Great environment, Horrible Upper Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioMay 24, 2015
Great environment to work in you make the job fun, Upper management would not train you fully they'd expect it to be right the first time if not see you later. Overall a great company just upper management needs improvements.
Pros
Free Drinks, Work environment, contests
Cons
no breaks, upper management horrible, paperwork new every week, no training.
Fun and a customer oriented job with tons of advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Avondale, PAApril 24, 2015
This is a very good company to get retail experience with. The benefits are great. Just be open to abrupt schedule changes. Overtime is there all the time.
one of the lower paying convenience store chains
FIELD AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 20, 2015
Meet and help lots of customers.
Provide a clean, friendly environment.
Work in a team environment.
Work availability needs to 24/7 and you will work on holidays, weekends, and nights.
Opportunity for promotion into management.
Pay is not competitive within the industry, however this is a fast paced environment.
You can learn a lot of skills that will aide you in any future endeavors
Pros
Fast paced, friendly environment
Cons
Upper management doesn't spend enough time in the stores. Low pay
Poor management - good underlings
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Minersville, PAApril 7, 2015
This probably isn't an awful place to work as long as there is a good manager in the store - unfortunately, I worked at a store with an awful manager. She teased her employees relentlessly. She changed schedules without informing employees that changes had been made. I was hired to move into a management position; however, within the first two weeks of working there, I was told I would never be promoted to the position I had been promised. I didn't mind the the co-workers or customers, and seeing people on a daily basis was enjoyable.
Cons
no breaks no matter how long of a shift you are scheduled
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  lancaster paDecember 1, 2014
very fast paced and energetic place to work. very friendly workers. go above and beyond to satisfy customers.
deli associate
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, PANovember 12, 2014
i worked as a deli associate, duties included taking customer orders, preparing food and cleaning of my area and floor. After a year i realized that retail is not my type of work
Pros
great co workers
Cons
pressure from customers
Average
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  3585 Rothsville RD Ephrata PANovember 12, 2014
I loved my job. I was very good at running a C-store. My upper management did not support me and chose favorites among the district. There were several situations where I was placed in a position that my morals and values were put to the test. there was also an incident where I was directed to ignore company policy to get the end result the immediate supervisor wanted.
Pros
i loved the customers and the daily challanges put before me.
Cons
little or no support from my immediated supervisor. no holidays off allowing family time.
Busy
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAOctober 23, 2014
Stock, shelves, freezers, coolers, coffee prep, food prep, cash register operator. Management was ineffective.
Pros
it was a paycheck
Cons
hectic, obnoxious, no benefits, no actual breaks, and no helpful management.
The best job so far
Utility worker (Current Employee) –  Enola, PAOctober 16, 2014
Great work atmosphere. The best coworkers and job duties. I was very grateful to be hired.
Trade skills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Temple, PAJuly 25, 2014
Worked at customer's house's or business. Fast pace to get the job done and complete. Learned skills on the job and ran to pick up products.
Great to meet customers but bad management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  columbus, ohioApril 20, 2014
Turkey hill was great for meeting new people (customers). the management showed favoritism and bias towards certain types of people. and never gave raises
A hard days' work with exciting people to work with.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAFebruary 26, 2014
The typical day at work includes stocking, cash handling, people in general. I meet new people every day, and see the same people as well. Building a foundation of relationships with customers is of high importance, and it's done every day. When all goes well, working with one another is one of the greatest parts of the job. The most difficult part of the job is making sure every task gets accomplished before the end of each shift. It is sometimes difficult, but that is what makes the challenge and reward greater. The most enjoyable part of the job is creating a relationship, even for only a few minutes, with everyone who walks through the doors.
Pros
working with the public
Avoid at all costs!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 20, 2014
It is hard to believe that this organization stays afloat with the poor leadership that exists. Upper management treats store management with open contempt. If you are looking to maintain an ounce of self esteem or self respect this is not the company for you. It thrives on the 'good ole boy concept'. You could be totally inept but if you are someone's buddy you are in! From district level on up they take a lot of pride in destroying the self esteem of every store team and telling you how bad you are. This is mostly in effort to deflect their shortcomings. Most, if not all,have no leadership ability at all. That coupled with very little industry knowledge makes for a bad work environment. If you enjoy a fast pace and engaging customers than this is a good job, just not the right place to work. It thrives on the history of Turkey Hill in Central PA and it's affiliation with Kroger. That will soon end as people rezlize the competition is better!
Pros
nothing worth mentioning.
Cons
leadership, physical conditions of stores, little support for stores.