Turner's Outdoorsman Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful employees and customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 27, 2016
Very rarely did I get a difficult customer and my coworkers were very friendly.
I learned a lot about guns and how to work a cash register.
Management had it's issues but it seemed to improve a little when I left.
The hardest part of the job was when you would get a difficult customer and the line would build up and other customers would get frustrated while I was dealing with the difficult customer and trying my best to answer their questions and understand their concerns.
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to talk to all the customers and hear a lot of funny things customers would tell me.
Pros
Fun environment, non-stressful
Cons
Little to no breaks if you didn't ask for one, do not train you well (only supervise as you watch other coworkers do the job)
Good company when I worked there (prior ownership)
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAOctober 25, 2012
I worked for Turner's in the late 90's for 6 years and for the most part, enjoyed my time there. There were a lot of hours at the corporate level-- sometimes 85 hours a week (during store openings) and a lot of weekends. Store level employees are basically 40+ hrs./week.

For a purely hunting/fishing retailer we feel during our (the team I worked with) tenure there, we had the best group of stores and products anywhere--GM was an excellent leader and helped make the stores the best they could be. In the early 90's we were the number 17 retailer in the US in terms of volume (distribution included), prior to Cabela's, Bass Pro, and the "big box" chains.

Ownership has now changed, so I cannot speak for what it is like to work here now. Some employees I worked with, however, have gone on to other key positions within the industry.
Pros
access to great trips, decent pay and a fun culture.
Cons
long hours, typical retail issues, but overall better than some.
Productive work enviroment
Cashier/Gun Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 21, 2012
-A typical day at work at Turners consist of getting the gun cases ready for sales. Make sure the store is stocked with products. Assist all customers with any questions asked.
- I learned so many things about various handguns, rifles, and shotguns. I learned how to keep track of special orders and how to take inventory on all the guns and other products in the store.
- Management was especially excellent. always worked around school schedules and other personal schedules. fun to work with.
- Hardest part of the job was remembering all the guns and which caliber ammunition goes with it and all the accessories.
- Most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the employees, everybody had a stand up attitude and all enjoyed working with each other. like a tight knit family.
Very good at the retail store.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CADecember 12, 2013
Working at the warehouse was trying most times. Management left a lot to be desired but once at the retail store it was very good, top to bottom.
Fun work place.
Cashier, Customer (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 6, 2013
it is a fun place too work, you enjoy coming in too work on a day too day basis, the managers are strict but also laidback when the job is done right, ive learned so much about different weapons as well as fishing.I could not ask for better friendlier coworkers. the hardest part of the job is that you stand for long periods of time. the most enjoyable part is working with all the people i work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Turner's Outdoorsman. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2