Turner Job Corps Employee Reviews

Safe work environment, great training and learning experience.
Facility Maintenance Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAFebruary 4, 2016
I was able to do a lot of hands on projects. I learned a lot of what I expected to learn in my trade. My overall experience was very beneficial.
Pros
Free place to stay, eat, and train.
Cons
A lot of possible distractions if one isn't disciplined.
Great experience
student employee (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 24, 2016
I learned a lot of valuable skills, work ethics and was exposed to many work cultures and networking opportunities. I was also taught the importance of health and safety precautions.
Pros
Strict schedule
It's a very productive and learning experience.
Welding Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 20, 2016
The enjoyable part of the job is learning new things having the experience to do more. My co-workers are very cooperative and understanding. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is trying to do something I've never done but I always ask for help so it helps me out.
Pros
Free lunches, Pool Hall, movie theatre
Fun workplace
office (Former Employee) –  Albany, GADecember 1, 2015
Its a fun workplace with supportive management. Everyday would be the same, You come in the morning and type for an hour, then for the rest of the day you would do a little of everything like answering calls, faxing, copying, scanning, organizing paper work, and working on either Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the hands-on training experience with computers.
Productive and a nice training facility
Electrical Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 16, 2015
An amazing place to learn a Career Skill. Learn how to manage time and money. Also learn about multi cultural awareness. Plus obtain the ability to get along with other co-workers.
Cons
short breaks
Job Corps is a life changing
Intern Health Occupation Department (Former Employee) –  Albany, GANovember 10, 2015
Life at turner job corps is a life changing experience. while being here I have gained the necessary tools to find a job and furthering my education
Work environment moves at a predictable and consistent pace.
Independent Living Advisor (Current Employee) –  Residential DormsOctober 14, 2015
I work 3rd shift so it's pretty slow paced, and the main responsibilities are accountability, documentation, and administrative management of student residents. Additional duties consist of manual maintenance labor and time management. My department is always subject to change depending on management and nationwide administration. My co-workers vary depending on dorm and how that dorm is operated, frequent inconsistency and communication.
Pros
Benefits, Pay (in comparison to price of living), Shift works well with my online school schedule
Cons
Inconsistency, Expectancy; in comparison to pay/incentive/process of holding staff accountable
very productive
facility maintenance (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 13, 2015
I would have to lead a group of people that was assign to work with me and finish a task given to me every day. we had lots of freedom and it was a pretty fun work place but still all about business and getting the task done.
A great place to gain alot imformation
Facilities Maintenance Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 5, 2015
A fun place to work with a lot of supportive staff . This program is good for young adults to come lean life skills and find themselves to become a better worker in the field she/he choses to make a career out of
Pros
free breakfest/lunch/dinner
Overall it is a professional student employee program. It has a lot of activities that keeps you going throughout your enrollment.
Welding department Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 8, 2015
My co-workers are great, we work together as a team to complete tasks. The individual tasks are good because you get the constructive criticism from your instructor that will give you pointers on how to be the best.

Want to know more about Turner Job Corps?

Ask a question
Able to mentor and train young student -employees
Independent Living Advisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 27, 2015
Conduct bed check to ensure student employees were in their assigned dorm rooms, make work assignment and schedules, case management. Supervised and train student employees. hardest part of job getting students from inner city and at risk homelessness to follow and obey center rules.
Witnessed growth of successful students who went on to college or armed forces; most enjoyable part of job.
Good working relationship and support from co-workers.
Pros
weekends off and holidays
Cons
poor management, no job security, hostile work environment
The job entailed challenging skill building qualities
Senior Independent Living Advisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 25, 2015
The most challenging skills I learned about SELF working at "Turner Job Corps" is teaching the students to refocus their values in life. This entailed completing a skilled trade, earning a High school diploma, plus getting a full time job after completing the program. I had to motivate, model, encourage, and mentor many students and staff under my Senior Supervision.
Pros
Decorating the dorm rooms, teaching organization, learning to handle strong-welled staff and students, trainings for staff to improve center life, and competitions in the winter for the best decorated dorms.
Cons
Changing management policies and procedures and the staff rebell against it, and being short staffed.
It is what you make it
Welding Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 13, 2015
I have been at Turner Job Corps for about a year now, and the biggest thing I've learned is that, if you want it hard enough, nothing will stop you from achieving your goals. The food isn't great, the staff tend to be jerks, the students are even worse, and there's a sense of apathy that hangs over the campus like a thick fog. However, I am very thankful to it for teaching my trade in welding.
Pros
free food, free education, free board
Cons
poor quality of life, poor attitudes from staff and students
gets you the skills you need
welder (Former Employee) –  albany gaAugust 10, 2015
Turner Job Corps is a great place to go to learn all the skills you need to know in order to succeed in your selected trade. you live on center so you never have to worry about making it to training on time. although initially hard or awkward, the satisfaction of knowing you have the skills you need is well worth the effort you put in.
Pros
learn skills and be taught how to manage money and function in society
Cons
limited health care and cant go off center so often
cooking while learning
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time on campus. I was able to perform on different level in the culinary industry. going to school and earning money was a plus.
Pros
learning a new skill
Cons
I had a productive day putting down tiles on floors at work
Facility Maintenance Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 17, 2015
One day at work I had to put down tile on the floor I wasn't quite sure what I had to do but I had got help from my boss and he had shown me how to do the work for a split second and after he has shown me how to put down the tile I had no more problems putting down tile anymore but at the end of the day I had fun and I had a good productive day and also I learned how to put down tile faster and easier
It was a great place and experience for me to go to and get a early head start in the work field
Stuent Employee (Former Employee) –  Albany, GaJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at Turner Job Corps consisted of getting up early every morning and getting ready for the days work which required going to class or trade depending on what ever you were there for. Class was from 8am-3pm. After that we basically found productive things to do around campus such as go to the library, gym, computer lab, pool hall, or even tutoring and a lot more activities. Curfew was at 10 or 11 p.m on weekends and 8p.m on weekdays i believe. I learned how to be more responsible as an adult and how to handle business which consist of taking care of important things that needed to be handled in order to move forward. I had to learn how to manage my time for example going to sleep on time so that I could wake up on time and not be late which is very important if your going to keep a job. Fellow students/co-workers were fun to work with and we helped each out. The hardest part I would say was just being away from home and the most enjoyable part was just knowing that one day it would all pay off.
Pros
free food.
Cons
early curfew, food not so good, having dirty peers.
Turner Job Corps
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 17, 2015
Go to class for 8 hours of training then free time until curfew. Learn how to prepare food serve decorate dishes. My co workers were fun energetic and trust worthy. The hardest part was remembering the temperature all different types of foods. Most enjoyable part were the student cookouts we had. The teachers were that supervised me were outstanding.
Pros
Cookouts, free time
Cons
Shortbreaks
Wonderful place to work
Secretary of Administration (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 8, 2015
I would start the day off with checking emails and messages. After that I would meet with my supervisor and get my list of duties that he wanted done. Then there would be meetings to attend and students to deal with. I would then see if any of the other 7 departments that I was a secretary for needed my assistance.

Being the secretary for 7 departments I learned to prioritize. I also learned that I had to be fair, but firm with dealing with some of the managers.

The main management was wonderful. They made sure I was fully involved in the day to day activities, thus helping to ensure our department was cohesive.

My coworkers came to know that I did not mind jumping in the trenches and helping out. I would stay late or come early to work in several departments. Especially those that had deadlines coming up.

The hardest part of this job was dealing with students that would become belligerant and we had to calm them down.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the work and the people.
Pros
the work, the people
Cons
dealing with belligerant students
Productive and a great opportunity
Intern Health Occupation Department (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 2, 2015
During my year at Turner Job Corps, it has been a great year for me. I've gained so much knowledge and learned skills that I can utilize in my everyday life as well as on the job. My peers and I have become closer as the year progressed and been through many obstacles together. I've learned about safety precations, the do's and dont's of the healthcare field, how to properly get and keep a job.