Turning Stone Resort Casino

Turning Stone Resort Casino Employee Reviews

Unique environment
Catering Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Verona, New YorkApril 5, 2016
Working with guests was fun and enjoyable. Company is not focused on customer service and more about the bottom line. Weak Management and doesn't take the employees side of situations.
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits
Cons
Weak Management
Thriving Casino
Director of Bingo Operations (Current Employee) –  Verona, NYNovember 23, 2015
Turning Stone is an upstate casino that strives to be the best at everything it touches. The casino is located in a very rural area, which makes it difficult to hire adequate staffing for daily operations. The executive team is very strong, driven and goal oriented.
Pros
exceptional employee benefits
Not worth your time
Level III Technician (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYMay 5, 2016
The best part about the place is 80% of your co-workers are friendly and supportive.
The only way to advance in your "career" is if someone retires, gets fired or takes a new job with another company. Other than that, you're stuck at your current level no matter how hard you work or how much effort you put in. Every year to 2 years they keep cutting back on the benefits. If you take a job here you must be extremely desperate.
Pros
401k matching
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, poor management skills, little to no advancement options
fun place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYSeptember 5, 2015
did not like their management team. to much smoke on gaming floor good benefits work hours were good. work days were good
poor working conditions.
grounds keepr. (Current Employee) –  verona,nyJuly 7, 2015
Very short handed. Mandatory overtime every day. 1 raise in 3 years. 25% turnover rate. No training . No rules . No OSHA. Employees pay an in house TAX on food .
Pros
Anyone who breathes can get hired.
Cons
No training or advancement.
Always and interesting place to be.
Bingo Moneyroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYJune 18, 2013
It is a pretty good place to work and you learn something new almost daily.It is a very good Resort and Casino to work in, especially if you like interacting with all types of people. I have learned so many different aspects of both a Hospitality and a Gaming environment. You never really understand how much goes into this field until you experience it. You learn how important communication, team work and good management is. The most challenging part of the job is guest interactions, however, it is also the most rewarding part of the job. You get to meet and talk with people from all over the world. On any given day you can run into almost anyone, from a celebrity to an elderly person with lots of life stories. It is a lot of work and quite time consuming as well to be part of, but it worth it.
Pros
good benefits, fun co-worker and guests.
Cons
crazy hours, not a lot of free time
Decent place to work
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Verona, NYMarch 29, 2016
worked here over 12 years... Typically a fun place to work. Good days and bad days like all places. Very good benefit package.
Horrible Place To Work
Former Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Verona, New YorkMay 2, 2014
It is my personal opinion that this place is not a very nice place to work. Pay rates are frozen so there is no chance or earning more money unless you get a promotion, and the opportunity for advancement barely exists. Management pretty much decides who they want for a position and make them apply for it and then close the posting. There's not even a point to have internal interviews. Different levels of Management are not on the same page. You will rarely get any acknowledgment for any hard work that you do and they will sometimes expect the impossible from employees. They are not organized and they care about the guests more then their employees. They take advantage of you and suck you dry, this place really drains the life out of you and they don't care because you are easily replaced. It can be a great place if you just need a job, but if your trying to make a career out of it that will only happen if you are lucky enough to become noticeable by management no matter how hard you try.
Pros
somewhat decent benefits package, they do try to help with scheduling needed days off, coworkers are friendly, decent break times and no need to clock out for lunch
Cons
management is disorganized and does not pay attention to employees, poor opportunities for advancement, no pay raises
Great Learning Experience
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYNovember 25, 2013
A typical day:
Morning:
Following up on art approval as well as sending approved ads out in the morning. Meeting with clients to get information on what they need for jobs coming up.
Afternoon: Making revisions and creating new artwork for approval. Working with vendors on proofs. Mocking up proofs for approval with paper selections for clients. Printing flyers, posters.
Pros
great benefits. they do a lot for their employees such as holiday parties.
Fun work place, always has something going on.
Resort Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oneida, NYOctober 28, 2012
Small work area
Good benefits
Many shifts and positions available in this very large resort
Scholarships available for employees continuing education
No raises
Pros
good benefits, lots of room for schedule needs, many different positions
Cons
no raises, have to be bused into resort
Employment for the Turning Stone ResortCasino and Oneida Indian Nation
Security Officer and Lead Security Officer. (Former Employee) –  My position covered the entire Resort/Casino.February 1, 2012
Excellent opportunities for job diversity, advancement, and promotion.
Pros
largest employer in central ny, with job opportunities, excellent benefits and pay.
Cons
security department to small for the complex.
Fun place to work
Gaming Commission (Current Employee) –  Verona, NYNovember 19, 2013
Fun place to work, great environment. Really good benefits. Limited room for advancement due to the nature of the job. I've expanded my writing skills in this position and have learned to multitask better. The hardest part of the job is the hours, really difficult to have much family time.
Fitness Attendant
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYMarch 29, 2014
Fitness Attendant at the casino is probably the best job in the entire casino.
I worked with great people, management was understanding and appreciate everything you do.

My co-workers and I got along great and we had wonderful relationship almost like family. We would all make sacrifices to make sure everyone got there vacations.

They are very encouraging and welcoming if your interested in teaching fitness classes and learning more about fitness.

Its a small gym so everybody knows everybody and you really build relationships with some of the members and guest.

Some guest are rude and can be down right nasty. But the good people out way the bad. The ones you build a relationship tip you often and always showing they appreciate you around Christmas time.

The staff will work with your schedule as much as they can but there are some limitations but you can tell they really try to be flexible. You kinda have to give a little to get a little. As long as they see your willing to do the same for your coworkers they will work with you the best they can.

They pay isn't awesome but its not bad for a college kid, retiree or newly wed, Especially if your in the field of fitness

The best part was the staff and members and the relationship you build.

The worse part no real advancement unless you go to some other department
Pros
benefits, good team, vacation time, flexible as possible, good job if your inschool or retired, fun people, good members and guest
Cons
pay, guests can be rude, early morning shift 5am, no over time, work weekends
A Place for Everyone
Accommodations (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYApril 10, 2013
The Resort has many jobs that will suit just about anyone. They are helpful and good to their employees. The health benefits are a bit expensive, but absolutely worth it.
Pros
good lunches, good benefits
Cons
not many good shifts to work.
Good Job if you don't use your brain
Spa (Former Employee) –  Verona NYApril 3, 2013
The want ad states "must be experienced", but they have such a high turnover, they hire inexperienced massage therapists right out of school. You will do an average of four to seven massages per day with ten minutes in between, IF the guest comes out immediately. You usually end up with three minutes to change the linen, IF there is linen, wash your hands, get the next guests intake card, unless they are a return guest, then they don't have one. So, if something with their health changes you will only know with questions, and that takes a few minutes and doesn't set well with guests. If the guest complains, you get to go into the managers office. Managers do not back their staff up.
The oils are diluted and tiny portions for scrubs etc. are insisted on.
Co-Workers are wonderful.
Hardest part is being told to do things we were trained not to do, like give the guest what he/she wants even if it's CI, "TS has lots of Insurance" - yes that came from a manager.
Management does not consult with their professional staff before making new policies, and policies change VERY often.
You WILL work week-ends. They never have staff enough to cover their employees sick days, vacations or high turnover. If you want time off, you must find coverage, but it can't be anyone with too much OT, and the on-call people are on the weekly schedule and not used as intended.
I learned how to keep a detailed record of the insane way they lose money.
I love what I do and the majority of guests are awesome.
Pros
health insurance, 401k, salery.
Cons
you are considered a commodity, not a human being
enjoyed the many challenges and rewards the resort had to offer
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Verona NYOctober 11, 2012
When i arrived i would find out what had happened the previous night. I would help break house and deal with any issues that had arrived.I would brief the housekeepers and team leaders on what the goals were for the day. I inspected rooms. I helped team leads, dispatchers, and anyone who needed it. I would help the assistant executive with any projects she needed. i worked on our linen numbers. Then i would work on our work order lists. I would make sure the housemen and laundry attendants were doing what was needed and made sure they had what they needed for the day.
I learned that team work can accomplish anything. The hardest part of the job was doing the linen numbers. I worked for the most part with a great group of people.I still keep in touch with most of them now. We would work hard but laugh and joke during the day. This made it a great place to work.
Pros
i had my two days off together and little incentives were given out.
Cons
short staffed many times
Work
Bingo MoneyRoom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYSeptember 16, 2015
It was a great experience I never had no complains just could not get a ride to work so had to leave the job. You work a lot of hours but the time goes by so fast you don't even realize it the co workers are great and caring you have room to grow and be yourself.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Long days
Fun workplace
Money Room Cashier (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYMay 24, 2013
I would arrive at work and count my drawer for my register. I would then count out the merchandise I was to sell for the day and make sure I knew what the promotion was for the two sessions. I would see many people on a daily basis and learned the proper ways to deal with problem customers in customer service. The hardest part of my job was the long lines and feeling a little pressured by the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing some of the same people everyday and getting to know them. Management was always available as a resource.
Pros
very nice facility
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced and creative workplace
Marketing Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYFebruary 6, 2013
As a part of the casino's marketing team, on a daily basis I'd need to review gaming revenue and individual players drop to determine the effectiveness of events and promotions or the need to increase advertising and trip incentive. Based on planned events for the fiscal year and impromptu pop-up revenue driving events, I'd oversee each event and promotion from start to finish. This would include meeting with upper management to identify each events marketing goal, brainstorm creative/inventive ways to achieve goal, facilitate any required advertising, invitations, social media or direct mail, take incoming event RSVPs and requested accommodations, prepare are all aspects of event such as: budgeting, guaranteeing location, d├ęcor, F&B, vendors, reward incentives, gifts, contract review and execution, hired staffing, onsite management, and post event reviews. In order to continually achieve the large volume of creative events held annually, Turning Stone employs a friendly, hard working staff that works together to make Turning Stone Resort Casino a Central New York destination location.
nice place to get knowlege of casino buisnes
Blackjack Dealer (Former Employee) –  Verona, NYJune 13, 2015
Great place to a start a career and help you for a better fut er.Good place to make friend and practice social live.The benefit is very great.
Pros
free cofffe
Cons
not to many day off

2.8