Tutor Doctor Employee Reviews

Very good companyt but I worked part time as contract employee
part time tutor (Current Employee) –  Phila PA SuburbsJuly 11, 2017
This is a well organized and well run company. I worked minimally part time and the pay was not very good compared to other tutoring I do independantly. But they do a good job of booking clients and organizing the system for recording data about the visits. It is necessary to have a car of one's own to travel to clients. Overall it is a good way to start out tutoring or for someone needing to pick up extra income.
Pros
Well organized, systemitized business
Cons
Low pay
You definitely make local house calls like their slogan says
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAJuly 11, 2017
If you're in between undergrad and graduate school, need some extra help getting the gears going for studying those exams, definitely go into tutoring the subject and related subjects you're getting your masters or PhD in. They coordinate you with students that are relatively close to you, or not too far of a drive away. You can also apply for students who you feel would fit your personality and level of expertise on their tutor job board. The students in the program are all good and want to be helped. I've cycled through several students in my 6 or so months with being a tutor with TutorDoctor. Their grades went up and didn't need me anymore. I felt pretty accomplished knowing that I helped a student advance forward instead of falling backward.

Generally, if you like helping others succeed academically, then try be a tutor. The passion and dedication kept me going. I took this as an alternative to substituting for the local school district.
Pros
good pay
Tutor Doctor Review
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  El Mirage, AZJuly 10, 2017
I have been working for Tutor Doctor for 5 years and have been very satisfied. It has allowed me to work extra hours to supplement my base income. I enjoy working with the students, parents and the staff. It is a great second job. Best in the west and northwest valley in Phoenix, Surprise, Peoria and Glendale, AZ.
Pros
Flexible, Great Pay, Very Well Managed.
Cons
Would like to have more students to work with!
In-home math tutoring
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 4, 2017
It was a contract job, so I wasn't actually an employee. Still, they provided me with a lot of helpful material and advice on getting the most out of each tutoring session.

I did have to drive my own car, and gas money wasn't compensated.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Middle-school math posed less of a challenge intellectually, some concepts became more difficult to explain due to overfamiliarity
Children, Youth, and Adults are fun to work with!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 9, 2017
I worked 5 hours per month in Administration and Marketing. When I tutored, I did so for 6 hours a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A typical 'hour' on Tuesdays and Thursdays was spent with a small group of students (3 to 5) who needed help with reading skills. Each session last approximately 3 hours. The most difficult part of the job was the drive from NMB to downtown Myrtle Beach. The most enjoyable part was when I was working in the office and when I was tutoring. The workplace culture is what you make it when you are tutoring youngsters. Over all the workplace is relaxed, and with the expectation that deadlines be met.
Pros
Clean surroundings; Part-Time, management enjoyable
Cons
No benefits; no work assured
Flexible, and rewarding job if you like teaching in bites.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2017
It's a pretty sweet job if you've just graduated college and you're in between school and professional or grad school. Honestly if you're patient and knowledgeable in the subject, teaching/tutoring isn't that bad the first time the round. Second time you're a pro.
Pros
Get to make your own schedule, review/refresh in subjects, rewarding to help students and see progress :)
Cons
Get paid once a month, hours are limited bc students relatively want tutoring at the same time ie afterschool.
Great
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2017
I love working with them. The staff is friendly and very communicative. They keep everyone up to date on opportunities and paper work. Well run business and they care about their employees.
Pros
Great communication
Cons
Use this as a supplement to income
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Tutoring is a difficult job that requires extreme scheduling. Though Tutor Doctors puts you in contact with clients it can be difficult to feel like you have someone that is there to support you when clients are difficult or unreceptive.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
administration, unreliable work hours
I love working with children
Reading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 15, 2016
I am a retired teacher and this is what I like to do - work individually with kids. Tutor Doctor gives me the opportunity to keep active and working in my spare time. I choose the students I want to work with and the owners in Tucson, AZ are great.

A typical day starts about 4 pm for the two families I work with. I have three children between the two families. I work with each child one hour, three times a week. I am home by 6:30. I could take on more students but I like my free time too much.

Management are owners. No supervisors or other staff. They are directly involved with the families. They don't tell me how to do my job.

I rarely see other tutors but I could if I wanted to.

I like the owners and would recommend this company if you want to make some extra money.Don't expect it to be your sole income!
Pros
Love working with kids
Cons
Parents who want to chat after their lesson is over
You make your own schedule
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLNovember 22, 2016
I love this job. Working one-on-one with students while tutoring allows for students to receive greater clarity about the material. You make your own lessons and schedule. It is about and hour a week and the pay is decent. Management is very sincere about answering any questions you might have. I have no complaints.
Pros
You are an independent contractor and this allows you to make your own schedule
Cons
Only one student at a time. I wish I could tutor several in one span of time.
fun place to work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 11, 2016
get to choose the right children for you
very flexible
good pay
provided resources to tutor
laid back
great management
Overall good experience
Great job for college student or post-grad. Flexible hours!
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 30, 2016
I'm a second bachelor's student and I applied here 6 months ago. The hiring process was very fast--I was called in for a phone interview and a final interview in about 2 days. I was hired on the spot! I love the flexibility of choosing hours. Working with a student can be challenging at first, but knowing that the student is showing progress bit by bit is what I strive for--since I know I'm making progress as a tutor.

The only bad part is it may take a while to find a match, either 2 weeks or a month. You choose a list of clients either by email, or you are called.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay, get to choose client
Cons
takes a while to find a match
Great pay with a great work life balance
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXJune 16, 2016
Tutor Doctor was a great Tutoring service. It had great pay as well as compensation for gas reimbursement. It had a positive work life balance and you got to be flexible with your schedule.
I'm happy with Tutor Doctor.
Math/Science Tutor and SAT Prep (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJune 2, 2016
Tutor Doctor takes the time to interview their prospective students and assesses their learning style and the intensity of tutoring needed. Tutor Doctor does the ground work in finding students so I can concentrate on my favorite part of the job.
The hours are very much part time and on a as-needed basis. If I ever feel overworked, I can speak up and let them know with little anxiety or stress.
Pros
Work around my schedule. I have control over subject areas and who I want to work with.
Cons
Gas and travel is not compensated. Any prep work is not compensated.
Great Job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2016
The overall job is great yet requires lots of travel. This job is worth it however, because tutoring in home at a great rate.
Pros
In Home Tutoring, Great Pay, Decent Number of Students
Cons
Traveling, Odd or Infrequent Hours
Great hands on tutoring experience
Staff Tutor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 28, 2016
Rewarding job, love helping students increase their grades, making math more enjoying for students, making my own schedule, accommodating with work and school
Ok money
Tutor Doctor (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NJNovember 20, 2015
Been there 4 years. It is ok. Salary could be better. My students love me. Work week is what you make it. Watching my students succeed.
Flexible schedule with interesting job opportunities
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTNovember 16, 2015
I enjoyed working for Tutor Doctor because of the flexibility it offered and the independence I got from the company. The job itself was enjoyable and made me feel excited about my culture.
Pros
I often got free food from my student who owned a restaurant
Cons
The commute was a little bit far
Strong Corporate Culture of Helping People
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAMay 23, 2015
Tutor Doctor cares about its clients and tutors and strives to help students and families with their supplement educational needs. The Franchisor is very supportive and allows franchisees a great deal of flexibility in running their businesses.
Great Part-time Place to work
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAMarch 29, 2015
Tutor Doctor is a great place to get experience, but you must have a job to keep this job. It is a wonderful experience to meet other education professionals and plan community education events!
Pros
Great opportunity to network
Cons
All expense are out of pocket and cuts deeply into profits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tutor Doctor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3