Tutor.com

Tutor.com Employer Reviews

Tutor.com is a great homebased job
Tutor (Current Employee), Tutor.com (home based)June 15, 2014
Pros: set your own hours, at home, convenient
Cons: may have to float or log in and wait to tutor sometimes
I enjoy working from tutor.com. I can set my own schedule or i can log in and wait to tutor whenever I want. Tutors have their own mentor who help praise us for what we are doing well and give us resources to help us to improve strategies that we need to work on. Tutors start off on probation but can get promotions to tutor 1, tutor 2, and tutor 3 and – more... earn more pay/hour, and receive bonuses for high ratings. Pay for tutors starting out on probation earn $9/hr plus and incentives for doing a great job tutoring. It does not take very long to move up as a tutor. Tutors in higher education subjects earn more than in elementary/middle school subjects. – less
Nice place to work,
Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 30, 2014
You can set your own hours here which is nice. It's also nice to be able to work from home.
The Hunger Games Version of Teaching
Part-time tutor (Former Employee), NYFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: scheduling is easy.
Cons: you get low pay and are expendable.
If you can deal with being watched all the time in your interaction with students, and it's about to get much worse with voice tutoring coming on-board, and probably eventually video, then it might be okay for you. But say something uncouth to a student, look out, incoming missile! Give an answer to a question... bombs away! Your survival depends on – more... who is watching you.

Pay is low and occasionally boring. You also have to deal with lots of lazy students who want you to do work for them or foreign students who don't know the language and wan't you to write for them.Tough game to win. I recommend going with competing companies if at all possible. – less
There are better companies out there
former employee (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 8, 2013
Pros: low commitment, work from home
Cons: scheduling is next to impossible, reviews are based on one bad student evaluation
Pay is low compared to other companies. Scheduling is next to impossible. They open it up at, for example, 12 noon to everyone. Within 5 minutes, all of the hours are taken. You could have 100 positive or average ratings with one low rating, and they seem to harp on that one low rating and make you out to be a substandard employee. Only things good, – more... you don't have to commit to a super load of hours each week, and you get to work from home. This wouldn't be a first choice company; probably a 2nd or 3rd choice at minimum. – less
Great way to earn extra income from home
Tutor III - Math/Science (Current Employee), CAApril 4, 2013
Pros: meaningful work, responsive staff, ability to work anywhere/anytime, decent pay/bonuses.
Cons: can't contact other tutors, no benefits, part-time.
As a tutor, you can sign into tutor.com's application and mark yourself as "available." When you get a student (usually pretty quickly, depends on the day/time), both of you will work together in the tutor.com classroom to finish whatever they asked you about. It's not an answer service - your job is to guide the student, not recite solutions. The classroom – more... allows live chat, drawing on a virtual whiteboard, uploading/sharing files, and (optionally) voice.

Tutors can work up to 30hrs/week (part time). You can either schedule hours, or log in as a floating (backup) tutor. Tutor.com is open 24/7, so you can literally tutor at 3:00 am in your PJ's if you want.

As a probationary tutor (new hire), the pay rate is $9/hr, but you will be promoted quickly to higher pay rates with good student ratings and good reviews by your mentor. Pay for senior math/science tutors can be as much as $15/hr (including pay bonuses). Tutor.com hires all of its mid-level managers (mentors) from among their tutors, so there's opportunity for advancement.

Tutor.com is a student-driven service, and they take student ratings seriously. Tutors who have high ratings are eligible for pay bonuses. You mentor may contact you with feedback about sessions which left students unhappy. 90% of the time, a bad rating is because you could have handled something better, perhaps by further clarifying the question or trying a different approach if the student was getting frustrated. Tutor.com is a real business that expects quality tutoring from its tutors.

The students are generally nice and interested to learn. I've yet to encounter an abusive student out of 1500+ sessions. Most of them are pretty easy to work with, though occasionally you'll encounter a student who is really clueless or expects you to do the work for them.

It is possible to conduct two sessions simultaneously, though I seldom do this, and tutor.com doesn't care as long as your average session length is ~25 minutes. They understand that some of the upper level math/science topics simply can't be finished within 20 minutes flat. If someone asks you a second question and you've already been with them for half an hour, you can simply ask them to reconnect with another tutor.

The job isn't perfect though. Writing on the whiteboard using a mouse/touchpad can be a pain, and not all of the students are easy to work with. Sometimes students will give you a bad rating that you truly don't deserve, and it will lower your pay bonus. Other times students will expect tutors to help them with out-of-scope questions (e.g. asking an accounting or economics question as "Statistics") and downgrade you because you can't help.

But, if you enjoy working with students, it's a great way to earn extra income. It really makes your day when someone tells you "I get it! You're the best tutor I've had." – less
My 3 months in this company
Tutor 1 (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 23, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay, terrible management
I worked with Tutor.com for three months. During that time, I received minimal support from management, experienced significant delays on communication from management’s end, and noted management’s extreme tendency to avoid actual interpersonal communication like it was the plague.

The service absolutely is teeming with abusive students who are rude – more... and disrespectful. Tutor.com’s management and so-called “mentors” will evade your grievances regarding aberrant student behavior, and chastise the tutor for not be able to “meet the student’s needs” even when it’s blatantly apparent that the student is getting a sophomoric enjoyment out of harassing and “trolling” the tutors.

I was terminated from Tutor.com for essentially no other reason than Tutor.com’s management and “mentors” being incompetent and completely unresponsive to concerns and feedback provided by their tutors.

The only way I expect anyone could succeed with Tutor.com long-term is if one:
A. Has no life, no self-esteem or self-respect, and takes no pride in their work
B. Doesn’t mind being abused by students who go out of their way to waste the tutor’s time, and,
C. Doesn’t mind when management ignores your concerns and then blames you for their inadequacies.

In other words, if you value your skills and expertise as a tutor, and take pride in your work, and expect the people you work for to be equally-invested and equally-responsive as you are … then Tutor.com is NOT for you; don’t waste your time.
If on the other hand, you’re callous or ambivalent enough to not care when students abuse you, and you’ve got plenty of time to burn (no spouse, no kids, no pets, no responsibilities), and you don’t mind a below-average paycheck while your organization reaps money hand-over-fist, then sure, give working for Tutor.com a try. Just don’t come back and say I didn’t warn you. – less
Independent Contract Tutoring from Home
Tutor (Current Employee), LAMarch 15, 2013
It is a great supplimental because it is from home, it's mostly in the evenings, and you are given the freedom to log in and tutor when you want.
do not waist your time there
tutor (Former Employee), new york, NYDecember 2, 2012
The last month I worked there, I get 19 ratings of 5 (highest rate) and 3 ratings of 1 (lowest rate). The overall average rating is 4.2 which meet the criteria of promote to tutor I. However, they terminate my work solely on the mentor's comment. I wrote email to their director and VP, but no response. They just need someone to be servile, not really – more... need one has knowledge and know how to tutor. – less
Typical and Routine
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAJuly 1, 2012
Come online whenever we are free and tutor students.
Students sometimes abused.
Excellent company to work for
Professional Tutor (Current Employee), at home onlineMay 7, 2012
Pros: set your own hours, opportunity for advancement
Cons: not a full-time job, no health benefits
I love working for tutor.com. I set my own hours, and I can work as much or as little as I want, up to 30 hours a week. My mentors are very helpful and give only positive and constructive feedback to insure my success. The pay is reasonable. A typical day of tutoring for me, as a stay at home mom, is fitting in an hour or two while my three-year-old – more... naps, then sitting back down at the computer for a couple of hours after the kids go to bed at night. I also tutor here and there on the weekends. This is not a job that you would support a family on, but it is a great way for stay at home moms to earn extra cash. Also, the job satisfaction from helping students in need is awesome and instantaneous! I love working for tutor.com and would recommend this to anyone who is talented in a subject area, or is a teacher or retired teacher who loves working with students of ALL learning levels/styles. – less
Flexible and fun!
Tutor 1 Tutor (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 21, 2012
This job is very flexible. It lets you work from home and you get to choose the hours you want to work. All the tutoring is done online!
Flexible challenging Part time position which may cause burn-out
Senior Mentor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 20, 2012
Pros: opportunity to be part of an innovative company.
Cons: burn-out. lots of work, little pay.
This position had amazing flexibility: you pick your hours and can work according to your own schedule.

One fun opportunity of this position is reviewing the work of others. Additionally, it requires full-telecommuting, and and it provides opportunities to improve managerial skills.

Unfortunately, this job frequently requires tasks that require more – more... time than billable hours. Documenting billable hours can indeed be a headache. This results in getting paid for less work than done.

Although the flexibility lets you pick which hours in any given day you work, it does require daily availability. – less
Hard work for mediocre pay
Mathematics/statistics tutor (Former Employee), OnlineApril 11, 2012
Working with the electronic whiteboard can be taxing. It is very challenging to answer math questions online. I thought that I was underpaid for the work that I did.
Good for part time work
Tutor (Current Employee), onlineDecember 7, 2011
Pros: flexible schedule, easy advancement
Cons: less need for tutors when i am most available.
Allows you to make your own hours and work when you can. You can sign up or go one whenever you can, but you have to wait for students to be one. They let you know what you need to do to advance so you just have to meet the requirements.

About Tutor.com

Tutor.com is the world’s largest and highest-rated online learning service. Providing live, on-demand, one-to-one learning – Read more

Tutor.com Photos