Tyler Technologies, Inc.

Tyler Technologies, Inc. Employee Reviews

Declining company; bad culture; ineffective management
Software Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 21, 2016
The company is in decline and failing to catch up with modern technologies; it is gradually losing market share to competitors.

The Renton office is downsizing and has reduced to outsourcing shop for junk work.

The job is easy for a computer science graduate but coworkers are low-calibre.
Pros
Shared van pool in and out of Renton; decent working hours; casual dress code
Cons
Managers have little outside experience and have no clue what's happening in the marketplace, salary is below par and so-called promotion is just a title change with minimum raise, the company is regularly getting rid of team members every year, it is hard to hear honest feedback from the management
Untrained Management, Untrained Employees, Defective&Outdated Software
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 2, 2016
One has only to read the countless complaints about Tyler Technologies in order to get a grasp of how terrible this company is, In service , in product, In management. Their software is hard to mesh with existing software, which causes errors and downtime. The HR is a nightmare, the training is non-existant. People are hired with NO working knowledge of the job they were hired to perform. Causing huge headaches for the clients, audits of Tyler's property assessments are a routine thing, as they make phenominal errors. And the software is nothing to brag about, Competitors are creating and have available far better software. From the CEO to the call center...this place just plain sucks.
Pros
your day off
Cons
low pay, stressful work environment, no training
Good Company with growing pains
Confidential Employee (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 1, 2016
Tyler is a good company with growing pains. It has younger managers that haven't been developed as there is not a true internal learning management team. Because it is a niche market, they promote within. It's a stable company with good people overall, but the wages are not always competitive and each department varies. There are pros and cons with every company and the pros at Tyler far exceed the cons unless you fall under the wrong management team.
You have to be the right kind of person
Software Support OS/DBA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, MENovember 1, 2016
The corporate equivalent to McDonalds. A clearing house for grunt labor and number driven production. The kind of place where no matter how hard you try, you can still expect to hear "That's not good enough." It seems to me that they hire anyone they can find with talent, but then try to squish them into some pigeon hole and hamstring any overlapping expertise. And if you don't rebuild yourself in their image, then they cut you loose. All their jobs are specifically focused and I felt my wider skills atrophy after my time there. You have to drink the kool-aid to fit in. If you're OK with being a drudgeon for decent pay and bennys, then go for it. If you want to explore your full potential, then run away from here.
Pros
The pay was decent for the area. Bennys are top notch.
Cons
Half hour lunch break. Misleading job descriptions. Glorified telephone tech support.
Bad Company from CEO down to its project managers
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYMarch 30, 2016
This company is run poorly ,has a big employee turnover. Their benefits system and structure is horrible. They do not like anything associated with the phrase overtime because they were sued for it already by a class action lawsuit from former and present employees. They use people like old socks . The project manager in this office was horrendous, inept and a blowhard with no people skills . He treated and talked to his employees like trash . I really don't understand how anybody could even write this company in a favorable light unless they are in a position where they could hide from company management / mismanagement.
Pros
Its a job, barely
Cons
See review
Agree with others. Bad management style, terrible year review process, no work/life balance
Worker (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 4, 2016
This company will run you to the ground. I actually like to be busy, it keeps me focused and not drifting off to la la land. But up to 300 emails in a day, hmm well ya thats kind of not fun. Management style is weird, they are always busy all the time and then swoop in to tell you how much you suck. Unless you are the most amazing worker ever, then you are praised. If you are the most amazing worker ever usually you are already being praised, but over and over again, I think they can pick other people to bring up. Stressful fast environment. They did mention that they build marriage like long term relationships and want you to work there. But will let you go like a bad one night stand. Or maybe a Brittney Spears marriage? Processes are still new and changing and they are always trying to identify themselves. So, once you get the hang of it, you will be doing something else that you have to figure out.
Lots of good things, people are nice, campus is nice. Work sucks overall. 21 years in IT.
Excellent place
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Falmouth, MENovember 9, 2016
Corporate culture is amazing, great team. The only pitfall is that they don't pay (me) enough to support my family. We will never get ahead in life unless I find more money.
Run, worst job ever
Held (Software Support Specialist) (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, AROctober 20, 2016
Horrible company to work for. Absolutely no training no respect for the employees and an excessive amount of work load with no management or guidance. DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY.
Pros
THE PAY
Cons
LACK OF TRAINING
Good Team
Residential Data Collector - City of Warwick (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RISeptember 22, 2016
I enjoyed interviewing the homeowner's about their properties and updating the properties' information on the tax field cards.

I didn't enjoy having to walk onto the properties without the owner's permission or knowledge. One of my responsibilities was to measure the exterior of the home and I would have to walk into the back yard even if there was a fence. The majority of the time no one was at home.

My immediate supervisor was very understanding about this situation and also gave me guidance and if I needed his assistance he would meet me right away.
Pros
Worked outside in the warm weather. Flexible hours. Goals were explained clearly.
Cons
Worked outside in the cold weaather.
Good people frustrated by bad product
Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GANovember 21, 2016
The software is over-complicated and unstable. Clients are constantly frustrated. Employees are constantly frustrated. Apathy is the only way out. If you don't mind missed deadline, unmet commitments, meaningless promises, and general confusion without solution, you could be perfectly okay.
Pros
Good parent company
Cons
Dysfunction local one
Pretty on the outside, rotten on the inside
Principal Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 24, 2015
What started out as a great company with high ethics - has degenerated into a scary place to work, with trickle-down fear tactics being coached by the head of HR.

Salaries are stagnant and falling below both local and national levels. Raises are stuck at an annual 2-3%, with little to no merit pay increase.

They are hiring in support and implementation left and right because the turnover is so high.

Management is distant, and they're constantly experimenting with new pay structures and cost efficiencies to drive up stock prices - at the expense of long term employees that have spent years dedicating themselves to the company, at their own personal expense - because of fleeting promises of promotion or pay increase.

You'll probably enjoy your first couple of years there - but after that, disillusionment will set in.
Pros
Free sodas and often free lunches
Cons
Stagnant salaries and fear tactics
Productive, Adopting new technologies.
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOApril 1, 2016
Environment is cool here. Managers are very helpful and cooperative. People tend to support you in case of any hurdles. complementation is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Good management
Cons
low salary ranges.
Internship
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 9, 2016
The internship at Tyler Renton Engineering team is terrible; it is a waste of time if you want to learn from the best. My mentor was a bearded man from Pakistan. He was introduced to me as a senior engineering resources. But to my surprise, he lacks the basic computer science knowledge and his job knowledge is really poor. He is frequently absent from work and when he is occasionally present, he would swoop in to check on me in the most intrusively manner as if i am the slacker.
Pros
Other young interns; corporate experience
Cons
Employees and managers are weak in job knowledge; the people are political; cannot learn anything
Great Opportunitues to Advance
Business & Design Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 1, 2015
An innovative corporation offering integrated software solutions for the private sector. Relaxed atmosphere with excellent work/life balance. Great benefits package offered. Lots of opportunity to travel. All in all, a great place to work with unlimited opportunities for a rewarding career in software.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, Breaks offered as needed, Lots of opportunity for growth, Education Reimbursements for courses related to career
Once a bastion of professional development...
ARCHITECT (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 9, 2015
Once this company was a startup with just one client, and the company put a real premium on developer creativity and professional development. The growing pains of commercial success have worked against this culture, and now it is a bit technologically stagnant.
The work/life balance of Tyler is excellent, and they certainly have a beautiful campus. But management has failed to face the challenges of keeping up with modern technology and have failed to foster a culture of trust, creativity, and personal growth. The sudden influx of money has created an atmosphere of irrational exuberance at the executive level, and the company has taken its eye off the ball, allowing competitors to begin to gain ground.
If your main goal is stability, this place may be a good bet for you. If your goal is to remain relevant in today's technology marketplace, perhaps you should look elsewhere.
Pros
Subsidized lunches, workout facility, tennis courts, running track, stability, work/life balance
Cons
Lack of competent leadership, lackluster culture, old and ailing technologies, hostile environment at times
Just started but great workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAOctober 27, 2016
I just started but I really like working here. I love the hours, I work 8-5. The pay is okay for what we are doing. They are very cooperative with your situation.
Worst place I've ever worked for
contract appraiser (Former Employee) –  everywhereApril 10, 2012
Worst place I've ever worked for. The money was ok, but the project manager was not experienced enough to have that position. They had no more experience than me and they couldnt even do the job. If u are a appraiser dont try to go above and beyond for them cause its not good enough you will be let go. Make sure you keep track of your own hours cause they will try and cheat you out of alot of money, I think they try and see what you will notice. hope you get work where it doesnt rain or snow cause you wont get no hours at all
Pros
decent money and outside environment
Cons
cheat you out of money, not enough hours, bad management
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 16, 2012
A typical day at work would be to enter data in the computer that the supervisor assign us to do that day. What I learned was how many properties was appraised. My management was awesome/ My co workers was very nice and some were not to nice which that they have that on every job. The hardest part of the job was making sure that you didn't enter incorrect data for properties because that can really cause problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning different types of things that are valued on a property.
Pros
every weekend off
Cons
messy co workers
A great place to work.
Office Manager / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 10, 2016
I loved my time here. Had the position not been a temporary assignment, I would definitely still be there. I was able to use my extensive hospitality and management experience to excel as an administrative assistant.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
None.
Can be good or bad, depending on your department
Content Developer (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 12, 2013
Some people who work at Tyler are amazing. Some people who work there should be fired immediately. It all depends on which department you work in, and who your boss is. Unfortunately, Tyler has been growing so fast for the last several years that many people in management positions simply shouldn't be there, and have no training in leading others. The head of HR also believes in trickle-down fear tactics to keep people in line.

Cross-promotion and upward mobility are almost non-existent unless you have a degree that matches the new position. Unfortunately, an overemphasis is placed on masters degrees and certifications, even when they aren't necessary.

When going to negotiate your salary, make sure to be confident and ask for more. Tyler generally hires people for very little, expecting the low cost of living in Lubbock to excuse it. Also be aware, they almost never give raises of more than 2% a year. They also recently went to paying scales based on job title, rather than experience or longevity. This is seriously frustrating several current employees I'm still friends with.
Pros
fancy building, free soda, company parties/events, generally friendly culture.
Cons
inexperienced management, low salaries, executives are usually blocked off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tyler Technologies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Tyler Technologies, Inc. Reviews by Location