TFCU is a democratically operated credit union. Our past helps define our future. TFCU exists for the benefit of our members.
Tyndall Federal Credit Union is, well, unique. TFCU is a not-for-profit financial organization, made up of individuals coming together to share a common bond. Credit unions are similar to other financial institutions in many ways, but we have one very important difference: we are owned by our members and are dedicated to serving them, not as customers, but as member-owners.
Tyndall Federal is a democratically operated credit union. You, as a member-owner, have a say in your financial future. While we offer solid returns and competitive rates on basic services like savings accounts and loans, we also provide more advanced services our members want and need. And we're able to provide member service on a cooperative basis.
We offer you financial security under the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). Your savings are federally insured up to at least $100,000 and backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government.
We welcome you to browse our site to discover the substantial benefits of membership in TFCU.
TFCU History - Our past helps define our future. On January 19, 1956, the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, the forerunner of the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), chartered Tyndall Federal Credit Union. The first office was located in Building 207 at Tyndall Air Force Base and was then known as Tyndall Air Force Base Credit Union. In February 1956, the original Board of Directors set the maximum secured loan amount at $200. Tyndall Federal has certainly come a long, long way since then. New and Used Auto loans, Home Equity loans, Signature loans, Share Pledge loans, Line of Credit loans, VISA® Cards, Construction and Mortgage loans, Certificate accounts, IRAs, and many more products and services are now available to our members.
Only two years later, in January 1958, the one-thousandth member joined the Credit Union, and in December 1958, the name was officially changed to Tyndall Federal Credit Union. By May 1975, due to our tremendous growth, Tyndall Federal Credit Union opened a new branch office on Harrison Avenue in Panama City. In March 1976, checking accounts were introduced, and in June 1979, the new Main Office was opened on 23rd Street.
To continue to provide excellent service to our members, we had to be completely accessible. In December 1980, the Mail & Phone Services Department was added to serve members all over the world after they moved away from Bay County. Now called the Member Service Center, this department provides members with most of the services by phone, that are available in person. Members can access the Member Service Center with a convenient toll-free number.
To take advantage of the latest technological developments, in July 1983, an in-house computer system was installed. And during that same month, Tyndall Federal was named "Credit Union of the Year" by the National Association of Federal Credit Unions. Along with the accolades and new technology came Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), and shortly thereafter, an in-home telephone banking service was introduced known as GENIE...the Touch-tone Teller. Both ATMs and GENIE enabled members to transfer funds between accounts under the same member number, make balance inquiries, receive line of credit advances, or even make loan payments.
As growth continued, and in an effort to provide convenient service to Panama City Beach residents, Tyndall Federal added a full-service branch on Panama City Beach in February 1993. In 1993 and 1994, new drive-through facilities were completed at 23rd Street and Parker, and four new ATM locations were added to serve our growing membership. Plus, the Operations Center was completed in January 1996 to house the administration and support functions in addition to housing our Member Service Center and the Lending Center. This facility was designed to allow Tyndall Federal Credit Union to continue serving its membership well into the twenty-first century.
In 1999, TFCU redesigned its web site to make the site easier to navigate, as well as to provide members with up-to-date information on products, services, and promotions. The "new" web site allowed members to easily apply for membership, accounts, and loans on-line. In keeping with technological advances, we also implemented a fully-functional Internet Banking site in the year 2000. Internet Banking allowed members immediate, secure access to their TFCU account information from any personal computer. A new on-line Bill Pay Service was also added to enable members to pay their bills electronically, directly from their TFCU Checking Accounts.
TFCU made a significant addition to its Field of Membership in August 2001 when it received approval from NCUA to designate seven outlying counties and sizable areas of Bay and Okaloosa Counties as Underserved Areas eligible for membership with Tyndall Federal. Plans were developed to make full-service facilities accessible to members in each of these counties.
More exciting improvements were made the following year. In order to provide the very best member service, Tyndall Federal enhanced its Internet Banking and Bill Pay Services and provided them at no cost to its members. Internet Banking has proven to be extremely popular with our membership worldwide. In addition, our Parker Branch facility was renovated in February 2002 and more than doubled in size - to over 8,000 square feet. To make it even more convenient for our members in the local area, we completed construction of our Lynn Haven Branch. This branch consists of a nearly 8,000 square foot full-service facility, 10 drive-through lanes, and 2 ATM lanes.
2003 was also a year of expansion. In order to provide more members with convenient access to personal service, we opened a new full-service branch in Marianna. During that same time, we renovated a facility in Panama City to house our growing Member Service and Lending Centers. We also made significant improvements to the Internet Banking and Bill Pay Service.
In May 2004, TFCU continued its expansion into some of the surrounding counties by opening a full-service branch in Mary Esther, Florida. We are pleased to be a part of the community in this beautiful area of Okaloosa County.
Tyndall Federal Credit Union remains a leading financial institution in Bay County. In fact, we now serve over 99,000 members worldwide and have assets of over $830 million. Tyndall Federal Credit Union continues to set the pace as one of the leading credit unions in the nation. – less–ZoomInfo