U-Haul Employee Reviews

Found 1,691 reviews matching the search
Pretty stressful and not much room for growth
Center Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2017
When I started, I spent time training, which unfortunately most of the information i was trained with turned out to be incorrect and I had to be retrained under someone else, the actual position itself that i am in is pretty easy, the only problems I found to have with it was that I was a part of team, but could never really reach out to my superiors because they were always too busy to help. They changed the set up of the system and never reached out to walk me through it even though I asked repeatedly because i didn't want to cause any issues with any payments or reservations. Also, I found myself having many many technical issues, which turned out to be the actual programs needed themselves, and not my own computer (my own computer ran everything outside of the programs perfect, and I even bought a new laptop to run strictly for work and it continued to do it). Whenever I would call about technical issues that i was having repeatedly, I always just got told, often rudely, to just "buy another computer". My only other issue was with scheduling. They had told me when I was hired in that they would be able to work with my schedule if needed, which was never the case. Changing my hours or requesting any days off at any point has yet to be a success.
Pros
short shifts, easy to learn
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, lack of communication, lack of proper training, inability to work with schedule concerns
Not much was done
Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 9, 2017
Was not able to stay long enough in order to get the full experience of the job. Management was not looking out for the best interest of company, only looking out for herself.
Work Summary
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 8, 2017
A productive day at work consists of properly completed task, sales improvements to the company and satisfied customers. When working dayshift my responsibility is to prepare the work place for the business day. That would consist of cleaning, organizing and opening on time to the public. Although the workday may be at its busiest towards the night, every procedure is still to be met at for closing. When closing we usually clean, reorganize, prepare store for the dayshift and try to properly close on time. Although I listed some task they are not all; they are just the basics to most work environments. Each day I learn new skills and improve my abilities. Interacting with customers boosts my abilities to make sales, meet their needs and insure they come back the next time.
I can adjust myself to pretty much any work environment. I enjoy being challenged and being able to taste the success after I achieved the set goal. The hardest part about a workday would be the up-passed moments. However, I don’t tend to break under the pressure of a busy work place. I feel my customer service skills help with unruly customers and help us come to a solution for their problems. The easiest part of the day would be around evening time when business is not heavy but at a constant pace. More customers have open mind and will take a little extra time to review some of your other products offered to sell. Managers are always willing to help you improve your work abilities and everyone is treated fairly. We all have the same mindset and that is improving and bettering our company day by day
Stressful and Busy workplace
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEFebruary 8, 2017
A typical day at U-Haul consisted of conducting inspections on the trucks, assisting customers with renting trucks and buying moving equipment, and receiving phone calls. At this job, I learned that it is important to care about your employees and to make sure customers are treated with respect. The workplace culture was very stressful--near the end of my employment, we only had two workers (my manager and myself). The hardest part of the job was trying to balance work with school, and everyday life. Where there was only two of us, our schedules were very busy. Unfortunately, there was not anything that sticks out as positive about the job.
The best company I have worked for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 7, 2017
I enjoyed all 23 years I worked for them. U-Haul can be a career for life. Do your job and you can have a job for as long as you want. The best health benefits.
Pros
Great health benefits. Good pay. Good management
Cons
Sometimes too many hours
Good work environment, always something to do, enjoyable work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day at work consist of installing hitches on a variety of vehicles as well as cleaning and maintaining trucks. I learned a great deal about installing hitches and wiring as well as management skills . Enjoy the work I do and U-Haul looks out for its employees and offers a lot of perks for the employees.
Pros
Discounts for daily things, Boot costs covered, good benefits
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKFebruary 6, 2017
Fast paced job. Lots of business. this location stays busy most of the time. With the ebb and flow of the college schedules
Pros
customers
Typical retail environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTFebruary 5, 2017
The pay could be better (which is probably why they have a hard time keeping employees).

The hardest part about this job is upset customers. If they don't like the price of something, or are unhappy with a company policy, the CSR's are the ones who hear about it.

The company is pretty flexible with hours. They are generally accommodating with school schedules and other jobs.
Pros
They are always hiring.
Cons
No breaks.
Busy, fast paced environment
Reservations Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 3, 2017
U-Haul was a good opportunity for me. It was good sometimes and, very difficult at other times. We had over 142 locations that depended on us for daily reservations, transfers and trips by way of micro- traffic. I learned to be able to work at a fast pace, handling over 200 calls a day on a average. The management wasn't the best. The workplace wasn't a problem. The hardest part was being out of trucks, the most enjoyable part was satisfying the customers.
Over worked, Under paid.
Area Field Manager (Former Employee) –  East TexasFebruary 3, 2017
Work 6 days a week, doing everything under company policy. Company vehicle was nice to have. Don't do what your told to do by Marketing Company President. If you do, he will turn on you and say he doesn't know what your talking about, even though he is the one that told you to do it.
Pros
The people you work with.
Cons
Upper management doesn't help it's employees.

Want to know more about U-Haul?

Ask a question
learn new stuff every day
Electrician Lead Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 2, 2017
work on different thing every day, I learn new things every day, I also manage my team and work, work order finished projected before deadline , It would be nice if they have management to be on point, the hard things for me is that i have to guide myself through out the whole problem without no one guide me,Use my skilled knowledge thats i was though by my parent and teacher.
Not a good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALFebruary 2, 2017
I would not recommend working here. Very little training. Had a lot of stress. Felt management was uncaring and not very helpful at times.
Benefits Benefits Benfits! Calls, Personal Relationships
Benefits and Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2017
I absolutely love benefits and policies. Learning California state laws FMLA laws, traveling to U-Haul Health Fairs to explain benefits was very exciting and rewarding. I learned a lot with U-Haul.

The hard part of my job was system. It made it very difficult. We had a lot of manual work. Open enrollment is normal and it will require overtime and extra work, but I do believe systems should be in place to make life easier.

All in all, I enjoyed my job. I definitely enjoyed my team. We were a fun group. I had a great supervisor and Manager who made those rough long open enrollments easier.
Pros
Great Knowledge of all Benefits and state laws, great Team
Cons
Poor system during my time which made it very difficult to work
fun workplace
Center Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLFebruary 1, 2017
great job! i enjoy workin g with them. I have learned alot about sales and upsell. i get to work at home and enjoy my schedule.
Great company to work for
Fleet Sales Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 1, 2017
I've learned a lot about data analysis, marketing, sales and logistics during my time here at U-Haul. Management is very knowledgeable and willing to help you.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Pay
fast paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Park Forest, ILFebruary 1, 2017
A typical work day would include greeting customers and providing them with information to assist with moving valuables. As a customer service representative, you must be knowledgeable about all products and services provided such as hitch installations, wiring kit installations, and used truck sales.
Great work environment.
Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJanuary 30, 2017
A good company to work for. The have great benefits and make sure you have everything to complete you task. Would recommend them to anyone.
Fast paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJanuary 30, 2017
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upper management and customers that are not able to be satisfied regardless of your efforts. The workplace culture is good and your peers end up feeling like family.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAJanuary 30, 2017
My favorite part of the day was helping troubled and low income families with something affordable. I liked being able to help in anyway I could. It really went a long way
Pros
Good management
Cons
healthcare
Ok workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 27, 2017
The management of U-Haul don't generally care for the employees. They work them very hard for little pay. They do not look out for the well-being or welfare of the employees under them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.