U-Haul

U-Haul Employee Reviews

Great place to meet many people from all over the USA
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDSeptember 23, 2014
Typical day come in trun off alarm run report for the day count money draws clean up a little by put some things back in place and clean off service counter to prepare the store to receive customers, I learned you haul is a very fair place to work, their were several General Manager during my 11 months but the one thing that stayed constant ,Assistant Manager she is very knowledgeable in U-Haul's way and she taught me a lot co-worker became more like family there wasn't anything hard about the job but what could be challenging was the sometimes unpleasant customers but I understand that moving under any kind of circumstances is very stressful. What I enjoyed most was being able to put a smile on their face before they left when they may have
come in mad or upset.
Felt isolated, under-compensated and bored.
IT Contracting Business Development (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2014
I gave U-Haul a try looking to get out of contracting. I moved from Las Vegas to Phoenix but got no relocation help from them. No vacation your first year. No healthcare until 3 months later.

I felt isolated from the business areas that I was building applications for. I found that highly unusual. The DBA's get really old Oracle databases that were so old the development tools wouldn't work with them. I get going building the applications but never felt really right about the whole thing.

Since this was a trial I took a share near the office. The traffic back and forth to the location was terrible. Only a couple of streets allowed crosstown traffic and it was always backed up with a number of accidents. Just turning out of my block was dangerous with drivers going 50+ in a 30 MPH residential neighborhood.

I finally decided it was not worth it.
Pros
i liked the web team manager
Cons
money, location, isolation and boredom, out of touch with business areas, old building, bad parking, bad traffic
Terrible disrespectful management No life/work balance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 25, 2012
My manager always expects me to camp out by my phone and always put my life on hold at his every beckon call he will get upset when i tell him im out and i will be in later and this is on days off. I never truly have a day off. I can never make plans with people because i never know my schedule. He always makes me feel like im going to lose my job. I always feel worthless when i come in to work because i always get reminded of my mistakes and always told about how bad of a job im doing when i am trying my best. There is barely any training. I am always told all managers are worse than him about firing and writing up. if this is true U-Haul should focus on hiring managers that respect employee lives. Telling me how bad of a job I am doing and making me feel worthless will not motivate me to do better.
Pros
most customers are nice
Cons
disrespectful management, no matter how much you do it is never enough, never appreciated for work you do, not enough training
Uhaul - Morse Road-Employee Review
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohio,November 26, 2014
Daily tasks include managing reservations, confirming reservations, helped customers, dealt with distribution of vehicles, and increased sales transactions within Columbus vicinily.

If you are part time dont exspect to get more than 23 hours per week, the traffic control manager is extremely rude and obnoxious to customers, the work environment is beyond un-professional due to constant cussing about customers and anything else, and the staff noses around in other people's business and constantly talks about others personal issues, pay is extremely low, and your schedule is not convenient to your preference but, convenient to the traffic control manager, i personally wouldn't recommend any one work in there in there regional office unless you are desperate for a job, also if you resign they look at you crazy and will tell you to your face that they don't care and treat you like an outsider which is ridiculous and immature.
Pros
decent benefit package
Be sure you are ready to do lot of work for little pay and no advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins GaJanuary 6, 2013
The higher management in Columbus is biased. I was a CSR when I was hired and I worked up to ASM in about a year under old GM. I had a chance to be GM but was told I didn't have strong will. When my old GM left, the higher ups decided to hire a prejudiced and biased person with no knowledge that had to be trained by me and my co-workers. I was fired because he has an inferiority complex and could not stand that someone had more experience then him. He is not a customer or employee friendly person. He is a poor representative of the UHAUL company. If you are hired watch your back and be prepared to pick up his slack because he leaves EARLY everyday and does not respond to calls if needed. The management in Columbus Ga are not worker friendly and will make you fear your job. If one co-worker messes up it is everybody's fault.
Pros
employee discount meet a lot of people
Cons
management no advancement poor attitude
very hard sell oriented
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  vacaville caApril 10, 2012
My job varied each day and I never new what to expect. Some shifts were for only 2 hours to come in and cover someones lunch. I did my best to make the customers moving experience as positive as possible but I still had to deal with not enough equiptment or having gas being siphoned out which led to the contract taking alot longer to be closed. The hardest part of my job was the constant reminders to push storage since I was under the impression that that is what really made the money and gave payroll so there was always a job security issue. Job training was very poor and basically self taught. Lack of personel and scheduling of pickups really was difficult as well. The only bright spot was some of the crew that I worked with and the few repeat customers that would come in and say Hi. This was a very disorganized location.
Pros
some of my coworkers and certain repeat customers
Cons
management, crazy hours, disorganized
Not a good company to work for
CSR (Former Employee) –  PensacolaOctober 17, 2013
Worked as a CSR for a period of 3 months. The GM at the store I worked at was being transfered to another store so there was little continuity in way of training. Both the original GM and his replacement were very knowledgeable and helpful. The problems were mostly with the Area Manager. He treated both customers and employees like garbage. I have never seen such a dictatorial style of management and hopefully never will again. He would come in and berate brand new employees who had zero experience. And when told that they hadn't been trained properly yet, He still continued to jump all over them without explaining how to do the procedures correctly. If you are looking for employment at U-Haul, I would look at stores outside of the Pensacola area. Save your time and sanity.
Pros
gm and fellow employees worked hard and helped out in any situation.
Cons
area manager was a cruel monster
I love working for UHaul
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 26, 2015
Working for UHaul has been and continues to be rewarding. I have learned to better deal with people on a level playing field. In my typical day I meet anywhere from 10 to 100+ people. I assist them with thier moving needs such as: rental equipment, moving supplies and storage. UHaul is always teaching me something new to the piont the we have regular classes that we take through them to keep up with the ever changing world and do's or don'ts. I get along very well and easily with my co-workers and we have fun while we work. The hardest part of my job for me is that UHaul doesn't offer full-time because I have been there for 8 years and would live breath UHaul if they would let me. The most enjoyable part about my job is ithe job it's self. I am happy to be there and look forward to going to work.
Pros
constantly learning
Cons
no full-time
Fast paced, productive work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJuly 3, 2014
I've worked at U-Haul for 3 years. In working with this company,I've been able to do a little bit of everything. I am primarily a customer service representative, which says little of what a CSR actually does at this company. Driving trucks of all sizes from vans to 26' trucks, maneuvering trailers, assuring the daily maintenance of rental equipment (trucks, trailers and dollies), helping customers, answering calls, filing paperwork, completing rentals and managing an office is what one can expect at U-Haul. It is a great job for anyone who enjoys working directly with customers, and developing communication skills, leadership skills, as well as driving skills! I greatly enjoyed working at this company and believe that in working here, I have developed the necessary skills needed to move on in any company.
Pros
lots of diversity in work environment, excellent training, lots of job opportunities, periodic pay raises.
Cons
end and beginning of the month is incredibly fast paced, not many benefits.
great place, until i relocated and was made assistant supervisor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 20, 2013
open 7am work 6-8 hours moved in/out storage cust. checked in/out customers with truck rentals. cleaned up facilities and trucks. made schedule for employees. closed store made cash drops at end of day. trained employees on everyday work expected. made sure equipment was safe and ready for rental usage. Enjoyable part of working at uhaul was meeting a diverse group of people from all over the U.S. Management was great until was made assistant manager. She had left for a month and a half leaving me in charge. I did everything asked of me and then some, she comes back said she need to let someone go a week later she decided to fire me saying i stole from the company It had to do with a 5gallon gas can said it didnt match up. She just want to get rid of me.
Pros
401 k, versatile job
Cons
last manager, benifits
Bad unless you are the gm
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2015
They ask way too much for a person making minimum wage. There were times when, as a CSR and not a manager, I ran the store by myself and still wasn't allowed to get more then 25 hours a week due to the area manager's greed. He, the area manager, also made the GMs work off the clock if they went over 65 hours a week. Apparently, there is a set amount of hours that is allotted to each store due to the amount of sales made per month. If the store doesn't sale, the hours are cut. At the store I was at, one of my jobs was to update the board that had the numbers we did daily. All of our numbers were way up but our hours keep getting cut. My GM didn't have the balls to confront the arean manager about what was going on in fear of losing his job. I'm just a csr. What do I know right.
Looong hours no reward
Management (Former Employee) –  AllMarch 13, 2014
If you like to work mandatory 55 to 60 hrs a week, get yelled at by customers and get one day off a week then this is the perfect job for you. As manager you have many many duties. The company does pay your insurance making it look like a good deal but, when you figure the hours you work over 40 you are paying for it. The owner of the company knows people aren't happy about moving so you would think they would have what the customer wants when they get there, but thats not the case. They are always out of dollies, pads and alot times the call center over books the trucks. Instead of blocking it off the website it lets them reserve equipment you do have and when the customer comes in fireworks begin. Over all poorly ran company and the fact that there is no other company that offers what they do is what keeps them in business! Don't do it to yourself!
Pros
none come to mind
Cons
really
Fun work environment, great coworkers, decent advancement
Driver, Dispatcher, Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2015
Overall a good company. No A/C at the repair shop so it feels like working in a sweat shop during the summer (I literally lost 15lbs one summer). Winters are dreadfully cold, had to use little heaters to warm up. Management was confusing, if you did your job one way as told by your direct manager, the manager above disagreed and wanted you to do something different; very frustrating. Coworkers were very nice, learned how to work on the uhaul trucks even without experience when the shop was a little slow. Open door policy - can speak to manager or supervisor about anything. Company prides itself on its employees, always celebrated employees anniversaries and birthdays.
Pros
Fun environment, open door policy, decent pay
Cons
No A/C! constant standing, hard for managers to see eye to eye with upper management
Good college job but very little room to move up
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 30, 2014
As a CSR for U-Haul you have to be competent to use a computer and internet browsers. You'll be in and out of the store all day long doing various things. The business slows down a lot when the cold weather comes in and picks up in the warmer months. Likely to get a lot of hours if you are willing to work weekends but don't expect a lot. Coworkers range all over the board but it's easily just a job for younger people as it can be very physically demanding at times. The hardest part about the job is easily just the hot summers and cold winters and having to be outside for a lot. Most enjoyable part can be the fact that there is a lot of downtime in the winter so you can read a book sometimes.
Pros
downtime in the winter
Cons
no set breaks/break room, customers lash out from bad experience on innocent employees
Productive work environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKMarch 4, 2013
A typical day at U-haul is usually hectic and stressful. The job is not hard at all, it just gets so busy that it seems difficult to keep up with what's going on. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I get to leave to go get equipment from other stores just because I get to take a break from the craziness. That is the only "break" you will find at U-haul. While it may be a plus to get to stay on the clock while you eat lunch, it's difficult to eat while you're trying to help a customer, doing a contract and asking tons of questions, or having to go pull equipment up every couple of minutes. I've learned quite a bit of responsibility in this company and I've also gotten a few certifications while being here.
Pros
some overtime, schedule flexibility
Cons
no lunch breaks, high stress job for little pay.
Horrid hours and pay
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 13, 2012
Come to work 5:30am. Print out a 4 page list of daily items to be completed by 5-6pm. Clean up overnight dropped equipment and park them. Turn the store on. Check the scheduling log for any late drops or hitch install appointments. Check staffing schedule. Monitor attendence, payroll, profit and loss statements daily. Set up interviews for new potential hires. Train staff. Multi task the day between truck rentals, storage, hitch installs, broken equipment, propane. Hardest part of the job is the break down of your body with the extensive hours. 6 days a week with only Christmas day off. After hour work when you get home was averaging 20 hours a week. 60+ hours in the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people.
Pros
stable with great insurance
Cons
hours, pay
Depends on the franchise
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Stevenson Drive, Springfield, ILAugust 23, 2012
The location I worked was so understaffed that customers were forced to wait longer than necessary, trucks were backed up all the way to the road, equipment and storage maintenance tasks were backlogged sometimes for several days. Materials needed such as windshield washer fluid and green plastic furniture dolly seals ran out and were unavailable on site for several days. The truck washing bay had a damaged drain tile and the wash bay flooded with waste water and needed to be scooped out on a regular basis. Cash drawers were regularly unbalanced. The franchise owner was at odds with the store manager over work hours. When extra help was needed, the franchise owner provided his own employees at twice the normal rate, but on the manager's payroll budget, causing my hours to be cut.
Pros
the corporate benefits
Cons
franchise owner malfeasance and manager incompetence
WFH - Sales
Sales & Reservations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 4, 2016
One of the most challenging and rewarding positions I've ever had. They hire over 1500 people a year to cover busy season (May-Oct), you will train for 4 weeks, getting paid 2xs during the month you train, everyone is hired as a part timer, if you lucky you will get to stay on with the company after your 1st season; even get hired full-time after a year of working part time. However, you will never make any more money than your hiring rate, but there is plenty of room to earn commissions and a reasonable paycheck. I left due to personal reasons, it was a great learning curve and good experience to WFH. I will continue to look for WFH positions again. But would not recommend U-Haul due to the amount of turnover and the lack of Professional Management.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Poor Management
Customer Service from Home
Center Sales and Reservations (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2013
A typical day at work is very comfortable. I worked from home for uhaul answering calls from customers all over the u.s. and canada. Basically any customer who calls a Uhaul store typically gets an agent like myself who can assist them just as if I were in that store. I learned a tremendous amount about people and how to be empathetic to the fact that most people are moving at a hard time their life and the stresses of moving don't make it any easier. So I really enjoyed being able to provide a solution for a low cost and help the customer attain peace of mind that we will have the equipment, supplies, storage, and moving help if neccessary to make their move as smooth as possible.
Pros
worked from the comfort of home, no transportation issues like traffic and gas
Cons
not always the amount of hours i wanted

Comment – June 27, 2013

Hi . Your comment was very helpful. I would like to ask you about the HOURS (or anyone else that facilitated the Work from Home position). Did you have a lot of hours on the weekend? Did you start at 5am often? What were your typical hours and days? THANKS!

Comment – June 27, 2013

Work at Home- were your calls back to back? Or were there breaks between calls?

The U-Haul Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia,PAMarch 1, 2014
While working U-Haul, there were many challenging and unique aspects of the job. I was responsible for cleaning and performing inspection on rental trucks and trailers, and ensuring the equipment was safe, clean, and customer ready. In addition, I was also responsible for dispensing propane, and ensuring that all operations of the propane station were on par with federal, state, and local regulations. Handling customer complaints, scheduling reservations, collecting payment from delinquent storage customers were all part of my duties while working the counter at U-Haul. Most of the time, I had the privilege of working side by side with a general manager along with three to four customer service representatives. I do not like to call parts of the job hard, but rather challenging, and the most challenging part of this job was dispensing propane as attention to detail while keeping a swift pace at the same time was crucial when dispensing propane. In terms of enjoyment, every part was enjoyable as I enjoy a challenge.