U-Haul

U-Haul Employee Reviews

uhaul job experience
Reservation Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAOctober 11, 2013
While at uahul for a short period I learned how inbound call centers worked, developed multi-tasking skills and communication skills.

We were required to process requests for people calling to rent uhaul equipment and often had to try to upsell other products they may need for their moving experience. We had to be in communication with the local uhual stores and be able to dispatch trucks to where they were needed and keep track of ones that incoming and outgoing. It was here I learned how to deal with complaint calls as well as angry customers in a tactful way usually by offing discounts or free services. It was a busy setting often with no real structure and days where no manager was directly in the office.
Pros
nice co workers, good location
Cons
limited room to advance, unorganized environtment
The chance to do work with your hands.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAMay 29, 2013
This is a company that teaches a person how to work in the modern day. You will always have an interesting day learning and working with the hands. I learned hands on with hitch installing also, transmission cooler installation. There is trailer lighting to connect, and other installations that are always challangeing. I happen to be customer oriented so the front desk was my strong point and my co-workers enjoyed being near me in some customer situations. There were times that trucks were needed that were not at our location, and it was time to travel to the location to get them. Sometime that was a 3 hour travel to the destination to pick up trucks and return to the home location. I learned a lot from the General Manager Javier Cortez.
Pros
listen to the persons already on the job....they will help you.
Cons
avoid office politics.
Great place to work! Awesome Manager!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sharonville, OhioJune 24, 2012
The general manager at the Sharonville location is the best boss that you could ever ask for. He is very understanding and down to earth. You can talk to him about anything and he is a great friend. One of the co-workers here is a vindictive person. He does not act professional at work at all. He is very hard to get along with.

It is very busy at this location, always on your feet, always doing something. But, you are never doing the same thing over and over again. There is many different tasks that need to be done here. Always going inside, outside, inside, outside. Very fast-paced.

I learned a lot working here. I loved working here, it was so much fun, best job I ever had!
Pros
leniency in scheduling. great manager! fun place to work!
Cons
having to go outside a lot when it is hot and humid or when it is very cold. some of the co-workers.
fast pace work place
Certified Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  chelseaSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day at U-Haul would be getting trucks up to day. Such as making sure the fluids ( windshield washer, brake fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid, etc)are at proper levels, tires in good condition, vehicle clean, and making sure there is no engine malfunction lights on. I also chance engine oil if needed too. if I'm not dealing with the trucks I'm in the showroom assisting customers with wants/needs. I dispatch and receive customers as well.

I've learned a lot from working there for 4 years. i am certified in many categories as stated on my resume. However what i learn the most is how to work fast and get the job done correctly. I enjoy working with a team or myself but in either situations my work will make me shine.
Super Competent Senior Management
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 11, 2014
Regional Sales Manager: Corporate Moves, responsible for a 5 state District on the West Coast developing marketing share in National Storage Programs, Light Commercial trucks, Hitches and Propane.
Boosted sales revenue of existing accounts from $1.2 million in 2007 to 3.4 million in 2008.
Responsible for servicing existing accounts and building the entire West Coast by making presentations to Executive Level Management Teams, C-level Executives, in the Legal Industry, Healthcare, Higher Education, Major Airlines & Retail Industries.
Opened 25-30 new accounts monthly to increase new business segment 188% year end.
Recruited and trained Sales Executives to achieve revenue targets in all 5 states on the West Coast.
Assess and monitored regional market needs relative to industry trends, direct the improvement & execution of Corporate Accounts to enhance companies channel strategic objectives of relocation of employees.
Pros
discounts on u-haul equipment
Cons
old management
Hands on, worked in differant locations always something new.
General laborer (Current Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLSeptember 24, 2012
At u-haul a typical day at work is fast and hands on. You also talk with many people so it makes work fast. I learned at U- haul to manage time better, how to refill propane install trailers and keep everything organized and clean. Co-workers are good always helps, gives good tips on making something easier to do. The hardest part of my job sometimes customers tell you how to do something example hooking up a trailer. Of courst you stay professional and listen and say in a nice way why you cant do it this way. The most enjoyable part of this job i can be outside. fresh air and always doing something makes work go fast but also hands on so it is good because im not just sitting somewhere for awhile.
Pros
free luch, get tipped
Cons
healthcare
Low management tolerances, unforgiving work environment
Fleet Detail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 26, 2015
Typical day consists of clock in, working for about 2 hours and then lunch, and then the long stretch to 4pm. I learned that it doesn't matter how long you work, if you're the bottom of the financial food chain middle management will treat like garbage if your actions don't support their personal needs. The hardest part of the job is being a moonlighter and not having any other sources of income while being forced to work while severely sick just to make ends meet, it should be noted that the heaters weren't even functional until well into the winter.
Pros
good coworkers, ample break times.
Cons
short fused middle management, severely outdated working and enviroment, relatively sparse amenities like heat and ventilation
A good place to be when going nowhere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAApril 24, 2013
Much of the job involved monotony, but there was some enjoyment when it came to the hitch bay. I learned a bit about vehicular wiring and diagnosis of the same. The manager was fantastic, as were coworkers, but the typical shift allowed only one coworker who stayed at the desk.
One difficulty of this job was that every day was the same thing with a different face, explaining a very simple process to adults and always the same questions, the same complaints. Another being no possibility of advancement within a position. After a year and a half I got a fifty cent hourly raise, the same as everyone else. The newest coworker at my departure and I had the same wages.
The most enjoyable was being able to work on wiring, even though it was the same process as ever, at least it wasn't the same vehicle.
Challenging and Demanding Seasonal Position
Seasonal Sales and Reservations Representative (Former Employee) –  At home positionDecember 27, 2014
This position kept me busy throughout the entire shift. The schedules were put out in a timely manner allowing me to plan my life around it. I did not have to fight for hours during the season, and if I wanted to work the time was available. The managers and Tech staff are easily accessible and reliable. Training is as thorough as it can be, but getting on the "floor" and taking calls is where you pick up your skills. This is a high stress job since you are working with a wide variety of people and circumstances. Moving in and of itself is stressful and involved and the customers rely on the ability to utilize moving equipment and storage units. Soft skills are necessary including firm compassion and understanding.
Taught me a great deal of things
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 3, 2014
A typical day at U-Haul Center was opening the store, answering phones, making reservations for customers to pick up equipment, calling delinquent accounts for storage, renting out equipment, checking in equipment, and having storage auctions. I learned a lot about mechanical things. The manager here taught me how to be a better manager as she was an example of how not to manage new employees. I did not have any coworkers here except for a hitch mechanic and he worked in a different part of the building. The hardest part of this job was teaching myself how to do certain things, but I did! The most enjoyable part of this job was dealing with the customers, they were amazing.
Pros
learned a great deal about managing, and gave me confidence that i never had!
Cons
was left completely untrained and alone for the 90% of the time.
Great place to work, while in school or just looking for a part-time job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJuly 31, 2015
Make sure if you apply to U-Haul, you understand that it gets frustrating, hard, and overwhelming most of the time. While I was there, the managers threw things on me like it was my full responsibility to care for the store on my own with little to no training. I guess it was a good way to learn. I built up to a possible manager position, but had to leave for personal reasons.

With all that said, if you are in college, or just need some extra income, it is a good place to work. Benefits can be nice. Do not expect to get a full time position unless you are applying for management.
Pros
Discount on major cell phone providers, starting pay.
Cons
Benefits, system.
UHAUL
Reservations Manager (Former Employee) –  orlando, flOctober 21, 2013
My typical day consisted of inbound and outbound calling. I helped make reservations for customers along with giving quotes, answering questions, taking payments, etc. I learned a lot about the do-it-yourself moving industry. I thought the company worked one way, but after working there saw that I had gotten it all wrong. The co-workers were always so friendly and helpful. We all worked as a team to achieve the company's goals. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the upset customers that thought the company ran the way I had originally thought it did before working there. The management staff was always so helpful as well. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to help customers with their moving needs and to take some of the pressure off of having to move.
Pros
helpful employees
Cons
not a lot of hours, no room for advancement
Good job for someone not needing a career.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Marietta,gaFebruary 21, 2013
I worked for this company for three years with its ups and downs, I felt as if as soon as i got a step up soon after I was knocked back down. I worked in three different stores holding Assistant Manager in two of them. When I took the chance at moving up to take the open GM position that came open in the store I was working in, My MCP hired someone who had not worked in a store in five years. Then within a month my pay was cut two dollars an hour and I was terminated for something I did not do. So overall this is a place that is only good for someone who does not want to succeed in a career.
Pros
your always meeting new people, and some of the employees are good to work with.
Cons
very bad benefits for full and part time employees and not a stable job.
They need to hire full-time employees an commit to them
Reservations Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 7, 2015
It is a shame they will not hire full time employees in their centers. They have an an incredible amount of turnover! Customer service is impacted negatively when they don't have experienced and committed employees. The general feeling is if U-Haul is not committed to me and my career, why should I go over and above for U-Haul? I have heard more than one manager say that the reason for having just part-time employees is because of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). However, I have worked in a hardware store that was a U-Haul dealer and knew employees at the U-Haul Centers and they have always had the culture that their workers are part-time "Moonlighters" with another part-time or full-time job. This is long before Obamacare.
Pros
hourly stating pay is ok
Cons
They are 90% part-time - rarely have a full-time employee except for management
work from home job,
Roadside Assistance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 30, 2013
a typical day at work was at home, from 3 pm to 10 pm, i really had no social life, and only Saturday off work. I learned how to work under stressful situations while keeping my customer positive and calm. Management was alright, could of used a little more of it though when it came down to questions. My co workers were awesome, like i said i was based out of my own, & all i had was instant messenger so i never had any conflict with anyone. The hardest part of my job was, keeping the customers stress minuscule due to certain situations and circumstances they were in. The most enjoyable part of my job was doing a courtesy call for the customers, and making sure the vendor arrived on time and hearing the customers thank me, and applaud me for my wonderful service.
Excellent Model for At Home Employer
E-Hotline At Home Emergency Road Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2012
A typical day at work included assisting customers with starting and mechanical problems with their Uhaul rental trucks.Pinpointing customers breakdown location using Mapquest and other resources. I learned that working from home can be very fullfilling and productive.Helping resolve issues for customers and providing assistance to people stranded can be stressful and tales fast thinking and great communication among all team members. Mamagement was excellent and all co-workers did their part. The hardest hurdle was resolving escalated issues for customers in remote locations. The most enjoyable part was getting issues resolved and being able to do so from the comfort of my living room.
Pros
being able to work at home.
Cons
high stress, required to work holidays and weekends. expensive benefits package.
mario sangster review
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 26, 2012
a typical day at work was inspecting trucks for dispatch,or helping a customer on advice on what they need to move,what i learnd was how to service a customer and lessen to what they need and to put the customer first,providen them with all the answers to they questions,management was fair but wasent the best needs inprovment,working with the co workers at uhaul was fun and enjoyable customer service skills was great,the hardest part of the job was selling out of what the next customer is looking for,i try to acommadate the customer the best way i can i feel like i let the customer down sending them to another location who has that product in stock,hitches, wireing, boxes, etc. the most enjoyable part of the job was to work with the customers and meeting new people each day, and to know that they were pleased by your courtesy and customer service.
Enjoyable
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCFebruary 25, 2015
My manager and coworkers became like family to me. We are always there for one another. I was taught how to operate a fork lift and how to deal with difficult customers. My co-workers have become really good friends of mine. We always look out for one another. We back each other up as long as we know that we did the right thing. Hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers who were not satisfied with their experience or delinquent storage customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is reading the good reviews and your regular customers/tenants. In my opinion, reading good reviews shows that you did your job right. It tells you that you did your best to make the customer have the best experience possible. They will be likely to tell their friends/family about it and boost business for your company store.
Uhaul
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Snellvile, GeorgiaJuly 1, 2014
My work load consist of the checking in and out of the equipment; making reservations for customers; daily upkeep of store including restocking when shipment came in; making call back for customers to confirm reservation also to gain customers for storage and truck rentals for future endeavors. When my manager requested me to get something done and left me in charge I had no problem executing what was asked of me. The best part of my job was getting to work with my coworkers. The atmosphere was great between our staff which afforded us the opportunity to actually get things done with team work.
Pros
meeting new customers was a great, had the chance to experience and learn how to be a manger, it helped improve my customer services skills.
Cons
it was a high stress job but nothing that i could not deal with.
Not in This Region
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MASeptember 8, 2015
Although it was not a terrible place to work, there was a lot of mismanagement on multiple levels. It seemed that advancement was more of a popularity contest then promoting the most qualified people.
Some of the managers that I spoke to told me that in some regions it was a fantastic place to work but around the New England region it was bad. I unfortunately cannot validate those rumors.
I learned a lot of new skills like hitch and wiring installation and for the most part enjoyed the job. My only annoyance was the constant changes being made and upper managements need to expect us to complete a unreasonable amount of work when a lot of the time you were working alone in the store.
Pros
Good atmosphere and great for hands on type workers
Cons
Poor management and unreasonable work expectations