U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Found 13,680 reviews matching the search
Air Transportation Specialist
Air Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZ, Frankfurt, GermanyJune 24, 2017
I worked in air cargo, air passenger, fleet services, and air terminal operations in the years I was enlisted.

I went to Desert Storm / Desert Shield in 1993, where I learned a lot about other cultures.

I was stationed in Tucson, AZ, as well as Frankfurt, Germany.

I think all able-bodied US citizens should do a compulsory term in the US Armed Forces because it presents you with a unique viewpoint of the world.
Not for everyone
1N1X1A (Former Employee) –  Langley AFB, VAJune 23, 2017
Like any other government job, mediocrity is rewarded. If you are excellent at a set of skills you will be given additional workload since you have proven that you can get things done. Home life balance is fairly bad depending on your career field. Benefits are great but the pay doesn't even compare to equivalent work on the outside, again depending on your career field.
Great enviroment
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJune 23, 2017
Working for the organization was very pleasant. Everyone was pretty much helpful and the environment was very relaxed. I really enjoyed the company moral and outings we had. When the moral is great everyone works better together.
Pros
Lunches and outings
Cons
cant think of any
Average experience
Commander Secretary/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Holloman AFB, NMJune 23, 2017
Great work environment depends on leadership. Not uncommon to get put with toxic leaders but you have to make the best of a bad situation. Benefits are obviously nice -- free healthcare and paid time off.
Productive and disciplined work place
Petroleum Service Controller (Former Employee) –  Shaw AFB, SCJune 23, 2017
typical work day was 8 hours
I learned time management, responsibility not only for myself, and how to work in a very diverse environment.
The management was very good and helped people with personal matters.
Our workplace culture was service before self, having integrity in what we did, and excellence in all we did.
The hardest part of the job was having to leave my family and friends. The most enjoyable part was traveling and gaining new experiences.
Benefits
Cons
schedule
Productive environment
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2017
I learned a lot in the Air Force. I learned how to deal with people and how to become a productive citizen in any environment I am in. I also learned a useful trade for the future.
Proud to Serve
Airborne Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Tinker AFB, OKJune 23, 2017
I was very proud to serve my country in the United States Air Force. I have only the highest regard for the men and women I served with and would recommend service to all.
Loved it
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 23, 2017
Great organization. Had the best times of my life here. I would suggest any able body to join. I wish I didn't have to retire sometimes. Great Job and even better people!
military career
TRICARE SERVICE CENTER MANAGER UHCMV (Former Employee) –  Ft. Meade, MDJune 22, 2017
Lots of life stressors - a challenge to balance military and family requirements. Great coworkers and supervisors. Lots of family activities on base.
Best job ever!
Budget Officer (Former Employee) –  Ellsworth AFB, SDJune 22, 2017
There is no other career that gives you the same job satisfaction and skill base that the U.S. Air Force can give. Nothing can compare to the benefits, competitive wages, travel, experience, and fulfillment. What are you waiting for?!
Usaf
RQ-170 Instructor Sensor Operator (Current Employee) –  Indian Springs, NVJune 22, 2017
The AF is more of a lifestyle than a job. To explain the day to day operations depends on where you work. Every unit is a little different and the culture is as well.
Productive and fun place to work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJune 22, 2017
This is a great place to work. The people here are great and understand how teamwork is all about. People will take someone under their wing and makes sure that they will get the training they desire.
Supervisor for years
Programs & Resources Section Chief (Current Employee) –  Little Rock AFB, ARJune 22, 2017
Program/Resource Superintendent- Lead 10 member team from Programs $1.7 M budget spending to daily operation for troop movement in/out of deployments. Supervised Aircraft De-mil operations organized/support civilian force to dismantle aircraft. Enjoyed most days because of the changeling nature of the position!
Pros
Lunches with Co-works lead to growth within the organization
Cons
Longer hours/Higher stress levels with Priority cases
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 22, 2017
Great Experience!! It made me into a much better person. As far as my experience in the HVAC field, I have definitely excelled in learning about the installation and troubleshooting of HVAC units.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
N/a
Very Supportive Culture
NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Beale AFB, CAJune 22, 2017
Serving in the USAF has many incentives, from top of the line benefits to excellent opportunity to move up within the rank. One of the best perks working there is the supportive culture, where the higher up usually take care of their troops. You essentially live in a separate community from the private sector. However, you do not get a say (not really) to live where you want; so it could be a deal-breaker for those with a family.
Pros
Benefits & Supporting Culture
Cons
Constant Move Around The World
Air Force - It's everything you would expect it to be.
Aircraft & Backshop Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Hurlburt Field, FLJune 22, 2017
The USAF isn't your typical office job (unless you train for an office job). In my eight years, I received job training for future employment and education benefits.
Pros
Job training, education benefits
Cons
You won't get rich in the USAF until you retire and apply your trade elsewhere
Good opportunties
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 22, 2017
Great benefits and opportunities. School and training opportunities are fantastic, options you tend to not receive on the civilian side. Hard to balance work and family time as your family grows and you progress in rank.
Summary
Finance and Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterson AFB, COJune 22, 2017
My time in the Air Force was good and bad. I learned so much and this gave me my ideas of how I want to manage people, of course there were good managers and bad ones. But this being my very first real place of work it had a bigger impact on me than others. The hardest part was the work our site was always understaffed and it made it hard to get everything done. There are a lot of things I did enjoy being in the military, they had great benefits, no rent, no utilities, free food, lots of days off, holidays, plus getting 30 days paid vacation every year. My co-workers was a hit and miss some I really enjoyed and some I didn't, I think mainly because I was a laid back type of person and some of my co-workers were hardcore military and old fashion. A typical workday was always different, some weeks were the same but usually different.
Pros
Benfits
Cons
Military life5
Great organization
United States Air Force (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 22, 2017
The Air Force has been great to work for the past 20 years. You get out what you put in. If your motivated and work hard and study you will be rewarded.
Pros
culture, benefits
Cons
work life balance
Sense of purpose
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Italy, Korea, North DakotaJune 22, 2017
The Air Force is a military organization as such they do give you a sense of purpose to your job. As such if you fix jets you know how you are helping to ensure our national security. If you work in finance you know that you're responsible for war fighters paychecks and squadrons budgets. Whatever you do the Air Force gives that job a sense of purpose and importance.

Management is hit or miss here. You'll get some that are fantastic and others you wonder how they made rank. However, the Air Force has many built in features that actually protect the lower ranking than many civilian jobs. For example, if I mess something up I can't be fired. Sure I'll get in trouble but I won't lose my job unless it is something that is grossly illegal. If you do get in trouble then you get an opportunity to give a written response. Supervisors have to follow regulations when they are formally punishing. This normally isn't yelling or physical fitness either as there are regulations surrounding this as well.

The work life balance depends mostly on your specific AFSC or your day to day job. As a cop or maintenance the work life balance is pretty horrible as you'll work a lot of 12 hr days anywhere between 3 to 6 days in a row. Then you will also be called in on your days off for random military events or problems

The best part of the job will be the people that you work with as there a lot of ridiculous things that you all will go through together. That and the 30 days of vacation a year that can roll over to the next year. When I separated from the Air Force I had 60 days
  more... of vacation and another 30 days of use or lose which I sold back to the air force.  less
Pros
Motivated culture, Benefits, 30 days vacation a year
Cons
management can be bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5