U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Found 11,385 reviews matching the search
Can be great if you set your mind to it.
Desk Sergeant/Supervisor/911 Operator (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 18, 2016
I worked for the Air Force Security Forces for years and I learned only to look out for myself. The culture is breed for those who only think of themselves to promote ahead of those who work hard everyday.

The people you work with are normally great but some will step on you to get ahead.

Be sure you know what your getting into before you join ask lots of questions and find someone who is already serving to talk to not just a recruiter who is getting paid to get you to join.
Pros
Steady Pay, Vacation, Travel, Benifits
Cons
Low Pay for hours, Failure at all levels of Leadership, Deployments, Good old Boy Promotions
My first Career lasting 21 years.
Instructor and Flight Chief (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 16, 2016
This opportunity allowed me to train and grow significantly and serving in the Air Force was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had in my lifetime. I was able to experience cultures around the world and develop friendships of both personal and professional nature. The unique education and training provided to me is irreplaceable; from an apprentice to craftsman from employee to manager to leader. I believe the Air Force is one of the best places to gain a solid foundation of leadership skills and traits. I have molded and honed my management and leadership style from the Air Force and continue that tradition to current day. Hardest part of the job was the many months and years spent away from family while serving around the world. I have fostered life long friendships that are as close as family. Truly the most rewarding years of my life.
Pros
Travel around the world, medical, dental, lifelong friendships, sence of purpose
Cons
long hours, time spent away from family
Highly Efficient/Productive Environment
Lead Human Resources/Self-Assessment Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 8, 2016
In my absolute opinion, the Air Force is a great institute to create productive members of society. It is one that creates a culture of excellency and value-centered functions. On a typical day at work I'm at my desk doing executive duties from the beginning of the day all the way to the end of the day. I've learned key management skills being in the audience of strategic decision makers. I would however recommend this job for the strong at heart and strong at will. Me having been put in many positions to handle various documents and give certain sensitive information, it has definitely taught me about discretion of people's personal matters.
Pros
Benefits, job experience
Cons
Occaisional misguided decisions
The primary responsibility of an Air Force Security Forces Specialist career is to protect the personnel, resources and property of the U.S. Military
Patrolman (Former Employee) –  Raf Alconbury UK, Mountain Home AFB Id.April 4, 2016
Carrying out this work requires extensive training in such areas as law enforcement, criminal investigation, criminal procedures, as well as armed and unarmed defense. Air Force Security Forces Specialists work domestically and overseas. The work is physically demanding since it requires long hours standing and walking to maintain vigilance and perform needed patrols.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and career advancement opportunities
Air Force not for everyone
Training Instructor/Manager (Current Employee) –  ItalyMarch 15, 2016
A self-centered mentality has overtaken the workforce. The sense of belonging, brotherhood and fraternity is all but gone. There is no feeling of security nor a sense of backing. As an advertised team-oriented organization, there is no team, just a large population of me, me, me's. The health and educational benefits are good, as is the opportunity for travel and advancement. The hours can be very long, physically and emotionally taxing and not much support in the way of materials, budgeting and management.
Proud to Serve
Resources Superintendent, 56 Maintenance Group (Current Employee) –  Luke AFB, AZMarch 8, 2016
I have been proud to serve my country for the past 20 years. The military isn't for everyone. Its is a calling. For anyone interested in serving, I would say do it for 4 years and then make a decision whether or not to make it a career. At worst it will be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. At best you will make it a career. Regardless of what you do, you will never forget the people you meet and the friends you make. They make the United States Air Force what it is.
Pros
Compensation, benefits
Endless Opportunities
Water & Fuels Systems Journeyman (Current Employee) –  McConnell AFB, KSMarch 31, 2016
Joining Air Force was the best decision that I ever made. I joined shortly after high school. I have learned structure and discipline which I feel is a great trait. I have also learned a lot about my job (plumbing and fuels systems). Although unfortunately I have started to learn that the after awhile it does not matter how much you know about your job, or how much work you get done. Its more important that you volunteer and be a part of irrelevant events to promote. The Air Force was great to me and I would highly recommend it to anyone with an ambitious personality. There is so much opportunity, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of not doing your job.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Micromanagement
Productive workplace with mixed management styles.
Water & Fuel Systems Maintenance Journeyman (Former Employee) –  APO, AEJanuary 17, 2016
Compensation, benefits, job security, and advancement were great. Overall, I had mixed experiences with bad and good management and the reason I separated was because I became pregnant and wanted to take care of my child without worrying about deploying.

I learned management skills such as scheduling and customer service, as well as supervisory skills gleaned from the good and the bad management--I learned the kind of supervisor I want to be and the kind I don't.

My co-workers were nice and I generally enjoyed working with them. The most enjoyable part of my job was my better co-workers, while the hardest part was dealing with the bad management.
Pros
Paid lodging, food, and full benefits and compensation package to include the Thrift Savings Plan, which is similar to the 401(K).
Cons
Bad management wouldn't be fired easily.
Great learning environment and advancement.
Fuels Logistics (Former Employee) –  Eielson AFB, AK Offutt AFB, NEFebruary 16, 2016
As a Staff Sergeant in charge of training Airman on responsibilities while reviewing performance and schedules.
Learned transportation and inventory of hazard materials such as hydrocarbon fuels along with environmental guidelines and procedures.
Great management, always there to help.
Great comradely making a fun environment.
Hardest part was deploying and being on call 24/7.
Pros
Full benefits along with advancement in education and technical skills.
Cons
On call 24/7.
Leading productive teams with lots of energy and enthusiam
Maintenance Production Superintendant (Former Employee) –  Ellsworth AFB, SDMarch 9, 2016
Attacking the days tasks systematically only to be blindsided by short-notice taskers. flexibility is critical in management. Co-workers can be a great asset or they can be a disastrous liability. It all comes down to how we treat each other. I've found that the golden rule-treating folks the way I want to be treated is essential in developing and maintaining strong, consistent, productive working relationships.
The hardest part of the job is balance...
The most enjoyable part of the job is working side-by-side with people to accomplish great things. In my Air Force career we have succeeded in many, what seemed impossible scenarios. And when it was all said and done, we celebrated.
Pros
Pathways to branch out into the area that fits the team best
Cons
Stifling ideas-"we have always done it this way"

Want to know more about U.S. Air Force?

Ask a question
Great lifestyle for young single people
NETWORK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 12, 2015
I was in the Air Force from 2006 - 2013 and served as a network technician. I had the opportunity to travel and learn quite a lot about IT. The work/life balance was great - you can't beat getting paid to stay in shape. Benefits, along with job security, were top notch. My only complaint is management. As much as the Air Force wants you to believe advancement is merit-based, this is simply not true. I believe the rating system lends to people slipping through the cracks and advancing when they are not prepared nor capable of performing the job. Overall, I had a great experience and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Stable environment that instills discipline
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Germany and San antonio txMarch 8, 2016
I would start off my morning at 430 with stretching and a 2 mile jog.
Then head to base where I check in at the air force security gate and once I'm on base I would go to radio communications facility which where I worked. Enter the facility and check my email to see if there was any new training courses that I had to complete. Shortly after I would start programming radio or assisting new soldiers that needed additional training on radio terminology.terminology best part about the air force was the morale and discipline it instilled. The hardest part of the job was leaving your loved ones behind for months while you go down range to combat war
Pros
job security, personal security, good benefits, sense of thrill, travel, helps you stay healthy and fit
Cons
homesick, risk of casualtynot all jobs are good, getting into the air force is not easy it takes a lot of patience and physical training, going to war
Career with ability to learn and progress with
Low Observable Aircraft Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Whiteman AFB, MOMarch 13, 2016
My typical day at work is to get an update on what is to be done and start working. I'm a hard worker and do not like to sit around to much. I'm always looking to learn something new even if what I am doing at the time isn't favorable. I've learned throughout my career that you always need to be proactive in what you do and the faster you work on something and not procrastinate always works out in the end. If I don't know something on a specific task I will ask as many questions as needed so that I can have a better understanding of the task at hand. The more you know the better you can relate with fellow employees or subordinates so that the job gets done safely. The hardest part of my job would probably be Deployments, being married it does take a tole on you but nothing I cant handle. As far the the most enjoyable part is being able to take care of my family and working in the greatest Air Force in the world.
Pros
Military Benefits
Cons
Deployments
Mentoring Airmen
Superintendent, (Chief, CEO Action Group) (Current Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day at work includes budgeting, accounting, providing customer service and training new employees for the Air Force. What an amazing experience! I learned something new every single day--when we stop learning is when production is hindered. I like leadership versus management; I believe that when I lead, the management falls into place. I want to work harder when there is strong leadership; I know that I gave that to my folks. I have a great group of co-workers; most of the time everyone understands what page we are all on and that we support a common goal. The hardest part of my job is when I realize that someone isn't cut out for the job and communicating to them that they need to take their future into their own hands. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people that I get to work with--I really have an amazing team.
Awesome Work Enviorment
Staff Sergeant, Calibration Technician (Current Employee) –  IdahoMarch 3, 2016
a typical work days is rewarding, always something new to learn! Management changes often so if you don't like management it wont be forever. Co-workers are some of the best people you will ever meet. The hardest part is working away from family. Most enjoyable part is the reward of the mission.
Pros
medical benifits, travel, and housing
Cons
away from family, work long hours at times
Not for everyone, but certainly not a bad job
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Andrews AFB, MDFebruary 26, 2016
The Air Force is a great place to pick up skills and experience for a career as a civilian, and it is also a great career in of itself.

For AFSC 3D1X2, Cyber Transport, you learn an associates level equivalent of telecommunication in just a few months. For those new to the field, it's grueling and unforgiving. To cap off your months of hard work, you must pass compTIA's security +. Certainly not a bad cert to have, but not at all easy for the average person to obtain.

You will meet almost every variety of person life has to offer. If you want immersion into the center of the melting pot that is the US, the military is a great way to do so.
Pros
People, education, healthcare, experience
Cons
Politics, politics, politics.
Outstanding work environment, great opportunity for advancement, excellent way to instill self-discipline, quarterly performance feedback sessions
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dyess AFB, TXFebruary 16, 2016
I loved being in the Air Force. I was an honor graduate from Basic Training. The culture was one of helping us to become as proficient as possible at our jobs. They encouraged us to attend classes and training seminars. Very fair and unbiased promotion system. Great opportunities to travel. I was stationed in Texas, Ohio, California, Mississippi, Germany, and Turkey. I learned to speak German by taking classes through the University of Maryland. I also took more classes in order to attain my Associate's Degree. I maintained a 4.0 GPA.
Pros
See Above in my review
Cons
Training exercises that resulted in 14-16 hour work days
Air Force
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2015
Shift work, long hours, low manning, bad environmental conditions. Management is always hit or miss especially when you are more educated than most of the people that outrank you, they choose to not listen to experts in the field and fly by the seat of their pants. There are some good ones that try to overcome the good 'ol boy system. Hardest part of the job was the long hours and holidays away from family and the nature of the career field I was in. It was never what you knew but who you know. I did meet some great people and will cherish them forever, and it did prepare me for my future.
Pros
military benefits
Cons
monotonous tasks
Discipline, innovative, dependable, every element of the job matters to the success of the mission.
Vehicular Equipment Maintenance Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Randolph AFB, TXApril 4, 2016
The mission always is changing and comes first. Multi-tasking on steroids. Must have the ability to complete the mission and handle many tasks given during your day and have them completed on time. The culture is about the whole person. Must collaborate to solve difficult challenges, must be innovative to ensure mission success. Be physically fit, my job was a mechanic but I also was a supervisor, trainer, program manager, ceremony coordinator, customer service, Instructor, pursue personal growth through education, skills development/advancement, and perform feedback sessions to trainees, perform annual performance evaluations. Deployments to underdeveloped locations where you have to establish work environment and set up shop to complete mission at locations. Strengthen local communications through volunteering off time to support community needs. Had to coordinate with other outside and inside organizations in order to ensure mission needs are met for success. Balance family needs in foreign locations and school systems. Relocate every 3 to 4 years.
Pros
Travel, benefits, education, teamwork, serving something greater than yourself.
Cons
If you are married, have children, time away long periods, Spouse is limited in career progression, goals
Rewarding place to work with driven employees and leadership
Desktop Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day began with a review of open trouble tickets and outages. Work was fairly assigned by supervisors to all employees based on skill and experience. I learned the most about network administration especially managing network infrastructure. The management was motivating, fair and responsible. They balanced completing the tasks at hand with the well being of their employees. I worked with highly skilled co-workers that drove each other to be better technicians and supervisors. The most difficult part of the job was the 12+ hour shifts. I enjoyed the people and troubleshooting equipment the most.
Pros
Training, quality leadership

4.6