U.S. Air Force
7,668 reviews

U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Honor and Glory
Superintendent Joint Air Operations Center (Former Employee), Mildenhall Air Base, EnglandJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Continuous training and development throughout every members career.
Cons: None
The United States Air Force is comprised of the greatest men and women this great nation has to offer. Without hesitation, it has been my honor to serve along side them. Now that my 26 years of service is complete, I watch with great pride as the missions they face are completed with honor and glory. Fly, Fight and Win.
Excellent work environment, but with risk of cutbacks/layoffs
Logistics Management Specialist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Working environment and the chance to travel to other facilities
Cons: 1.The annual risk of funding cutbacks. 2. Limited chance of transfer.
Working in an adminstrative/clerical position for most of the 15 years consisted of monitoring and filling requests for aircraft parts and other items as needed. Projections for repairs and procurement were maintained and submitted to management on a regular basis. Co-workers included immediate personnel and representatives from other departments working together to provide equipment and parts.

Management normally assigned duties and left you to complete the tasks in a timely manner.

The hardest part of the job was having to choose to resign early when I knew I was about to be laid off due to a Congressional cutback. Resigning allowed me to collect a bonus that covered my moving back from Los Angeles to my family in Houston. A layoff would have left me in Los Angeles with NO "bumping rights".
Always on Duty
Senior Airman (Current Employee), Ellsworth AFB, SDJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Health benefits, pay
Cons: Deployments
It was the military. It was all day everyday. Met some awesome people. Loved what I did, just not every second of every day.
Air Force
Senior Airman (Current Employee), EverywhereJuly 7, 2015
Depending on field you work in and where you work, will depend on a typical day at work and if the job is hard, writing a review on the military is hard, and it is not for the light hearted.
Mission First...
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee), Travis AFB, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Benefits and the military culture.
Cons: Demanding job, on duty or on call 24 hours, overtime without pay.
Our mission is to coordinate and provide quality repair and calibration of TMDE to support customers' mission in a timely manner ensuring TMDE safety, reliability, measurement accuracy and traceability. everyday we learn how to use, calibrate, align, troubleshoot, and repair of various type of TMDE, we continuously improve our skills. Management is ensuring that all technicians have the tools and equipment required to calibrate the customers' TMDE. I work with the most diverse group of people, different races, from different parts of the world, and very diverse personalities, but we all have one common goal, to complete the mission, and we learn to work and socialize with each other to become the most formidable team in the world, we are proud to work alongside each other. The hardest part of the job is when the mission dictates, we have to sacrifice ourselves, our time, and our well being to complete the mission, we are on duty all the time. But when the mission is complete that is when you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment, when you know you have done your job and the team is successful, there is nothing more enjoyable than giving it all and achiving success. This is the Air Force way of life, and my way of life.
Vehicle Operator/Dispatcher (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 7, 2015
Vehicle Operations at Nellis AFB, was at times busy but mostly relaxed. It taught me how to thoroughly clean a vehicle. The job itself wasn't hard; some days it would get remedial and boring. I loved my job while deployed overseas.
Great place to work. Global Impact.
Crew Chief (Current Employee), Multiple LocationsJuly 7, 2015
USAF is a great place to work. Leadership and professional development is a daily task. Teamwork is unparalleled. typical duties include supervising junior members in daily maintenance tasks required to keep the C-130 Hercules fully mission capable.
Learned a lot of different skills, and great team work excercises
Public Health/Security Forces (Former Employee), Beale AFB, CAJuly 7, 2015
I completely enjoyed my time in the military it was like an extended family. I would have done my 20 years, but started a family of my own and couldn't bare to be deployed and away from my family.
Great Place
Training Flight Superintendent (Former Employee), Eielson AFB, AKJuly 7, 2015
Good place to work and the coworkers are great. They take care of their employees. Problems are handled in an expedient manner.
Productive, great experiences
Ophthalmic Technician (Current Employee), Mansfield, OHJuly 7, 2015
Pre-screenings for eye exams in multi-doctor clinic with a highly fast-paced environment. In my experiences I have developed the ability of being extremely personable in my encounters with others. Management treats everyone like a peer trying to accomplish the same goal. It's an easy going environment that allows you the opportunity to meet amazing people and make real connections.
Military Service
Lead Scheduler, Plans and Scheduling (Former Employee), USAJuly 7, 2015
Opportunities to travel are always present. The Air Force is a branch that tends to care for the family more than the other branches of service. I learned humbleness through mistakes but I also learned how teamwork aids in overcoming missed opportunities. Discipline is the largest personal key that I retained from serving.
Long hours, terrible leadership, extreme stress
Aerospace Propulsion Specialist (Current Employee), Bellevue, NEJuly 7, 2015
While it certainly is a great experience in that of the various locations and people you interact with, in the end it is not worth it. The stress and requirements are destructive to family and aging in all other fronts.
Productive location and enhanced learning
Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Friends, health care, high moral
Cons: Short lunches, always on call, being a 24 hour shop.
Normally a typical day at work would be putting on the uniform and knocking out jobs. From small tasks as removal of stuck screws to major repairs on composite panels coming into the shop. I learned the skill and techniques required to be an asset to the Air Force and in my shop.
My co-workers were great people who had my back and helped on jobs that got too big. We were supportive of each other. Getting the job done in a timely manner and to the best of our knowledge.
The hardest part of the job was doing full repaints on our aircraft that came in. Most planes took about a week to sand down, wash off and repaint where as others would take us 2 or 3 weeks to complete. The most enjoyable part was being with the people that we worked with on or off duty. Without having the people that I did I am sure it would have been a hostile work environment.
/excekkebt
Dental Assistant (Former Employee), Several bases, Texas,Michigan, France, OregonJuly 6, 2015
The military was very good but the pay was very low qt the time or I would have stayed until retirement. With a wife and two children I was making $106 a month.
Safe workplace
Supervisory roles (Former Employee), Bagram, AfghanistanJuly 6, 2015
Patrolman duties, on top of frequent deployments and 12 hour work days. Stressful environment.

These
Shouldn't
Be
Mandatory.

I don't writ reviews
Great Benefits
Air Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Dover, DEJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Education Benefits
Cons: Deployment
Hard work, discipline, structured work environment, respect for ranking officials.

The hardest part of the job was deployment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the volunteer work and the feeling for a connection to your fellow worker.
Has taught me a lot.
Geospatial Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Beale AFB, CAJuly 4, 2015
Pros: healthcare, and education
Cons: depends on the individual situation.
I work a 24/7 ops with 12 hour shifts. There were some good times but more bad times. Leadership dictates the units happiness. Enjoyed the foundation and the opportunities the Airforce has given to me. Did a lot of growing up since I joined and the Airforce has given me great work characteristics.
Loved Serving my Counrty
Medical Records Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSJuly 4, 2015
I spent two years in turkey during desert storm, then was a assistant medical records supervisor at keesler AFB mississippi. I took care of many medical records as well as staffing of the records department.
Daily task
Vehicle Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee), Dyess AFB, TXJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Teamwork and camaraderie
Cons: Long deployments away from your loved ones.
A typical day in any branch of the military is reactionary at best. You plan and train everyday but sometime that isn't good enough. The key is to always have a game plan of the days events and try to stick to that. Take a break occasionally and go out and talk with the troops. The military is a family so communication is easier and those who have lived that lifestyle know what's expected of them everyday.
The hardest part of the job is not knowing when you'll be deployed overseas or if overseas when you'll be coming home. It's extremely difficult being away from your family but you keep pushing everyday knowing you are closer to going home. The most enjoyable part is the camaraderie between military members. You learn very early in your military career how important it is to count on each other.
Great place to work.
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Wpafb, OHJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Always learning something new.
Cons: RIF
Always learning new skills while keeping my country safe. Training was great. Great coworkers. Feeling of accomplishment while keeping my country safe.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more

U.S. Air Force Salaries