U.S. Air Force

8.9K reviews

U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Found 8,489 reviews matching the search
Great Place to Work, But Not for the Creative Types
Active Duty Officer - Senior Pilot (Former Employee) –  All over the U.S. and WorldFebruary 12, 2016
I spent nearly 16 years in the Air Force (Air Force Academy + Active Duty) and had the dream job of being a pilot.

There were great co-workers and management, certainly some not-so-great ones. Unfortunately, as time went on, I noticed the trend of the best ones getting out/separating and the "weasels" staying in. Someone has to be promoted to fill leadership gaps, so with the good guys and gals gone, these weasels stepped up.

Also, the AF suffers from a culture of an inability to say "No" to unrealistic expectations. This stems from the way the promotion and assignments system is designed. If a commander won't lay on more burden (as requested from his superiors) when his troops are already beat down and bent over backwards, he'll simply be replaced and/or get a bad performance review and his career will be capped. So what we've lost are the truly courageous leaders who put their people before themselves. It makes sense when you realize (see above) that the BEST candidates for leadership are the ones who leave in droves at the first chance to exit. And thus the cycle repeats.

Another big problem is the Air Force's outdated, soviet-era personnel management system which fails miserably at appointing the right candidates for the right jobs at the right time. We lost a lot of good people simply due to being mismanaged in their careers --not being viewed as the unique assets they were.

And although one might scoff at this review and say these are simply the words of a subperforming B-teamer, I can assure you I was in the top 5% of coworkers in every post I held.
  more...

In conclusion, if one can make it to 20 years, it's a great pension with benefits and the ride to get there can be fulfilling and adventurous, with many good friends and experiences made along the way. Once it stops being fun and intellectually challenging, however, it's time to go rejoin the 99% of Americans.
Dedicated and Loyal
Instructional Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Luke AFB, AZFebruary 12, 2016
The United States Air Force taught me honor, duty, integrity, and work ethics. As a civil servant in my later years I was educated and promoted quickly. It was my honor to be a part of the United States Air Force family for over 20 years.
Hard work, but well worth it!
Officer (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 11, 2016
Depending on your job, it is definitely an experience which will challenge you to become better than before, as it definitely pushed me beyond my limits and helped me become a stronger person for it in the end.
Great training, Travel and Housing provided.
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Al, GA and The AzoresFebruary 11, 2016
While serving my country I was provided excellent training to perform my assigned duties. This gave me a sense of great pride for the country I represented when serving in other countries.
Pros
Training, meeting new people, travel and pride of country.
Cons
None.
Great place to work Lots of great experiences
Aerospace Medical Evacuation Technician (Current Employee) –  Pope Army Airfield, NCFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day would be training to bring home our wounded troops.
I have learned a lot from all of my supervisors and peers.
The hardest part of the job is seeing people hurt.
The most enjoyable part is teaching new AE techs how to fly and and work on patients up at altitude.
Good advancement opportunity
Medical Training Group Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 11, 2016
The hardest part of the job is the management. It is either non existent or extremely micro-managed. This creates a very difficult work environment for many of us.
22+ years
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 10, 2016
I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience with the US Air Force. Serving my country has been incredible, and I would never trade it for anything. It's not easy, and change is constant, but it's very rewarding.
Pros
Job security, consistant pay
Cons
Deployments
Military
Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Barksdale AFB, LAFebruary 10, 2016
Long days, hard nights, early mornings. You are truly owned in every sense of the word. You either love it or hate it, there is no in-between
Military
Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Hurlburt Field, FLFebruary 9, 2016
Great opportunities for those seeking life changing experiences. Gives aid in numerous ways. Excellent benefits, especially for education. Management encourages seeking education goals and achievements.
Fast paced and competitive workplace.
Deputy Division Chief, Bombers (Former Employee) –  Edwards AFB, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Joining the Air Force was the best decision I ever made. I was part of a team that was second to none! I worked with the best leaders and coworkers in the world! It was a fast paced environment and we held ourselves to the highest standards!
Pros
Great family life
Cons
Deployments
It is the military.
Cyber Transport Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 9, 2016
Look. It is the military. You should know what you are going into by researching before hand. I had a great experience, but some do not. Just look into it and dont make rash decisions.
Proud to serve the USAF
NCOIC Transportation (Current Employee) –  Arnold AFB, TNFebruary 9, 2016
Closely monitor and supervise the daily tasks/accomplishments of the Transportation function which includes, Vehicle Maintenance, Vehicle Management, Vehicle Operations as well as the Traffic Management Office (Outbound Shipments)
Pros
Medical care, Allowances for housing and Sustinence are non taxable
Cons
Constant chance of being deployed to serve overseas
A life changing experience
Airborne Cryptologic Language Operator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 9, 2016
My time in the Air Force was at one time hectic, exciting, stressful, and fun. Learned a lot about teamwork and leadership.
Excellent benefits and education
Structural Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 9, 2016
The United States Air Force gave me the skills to be an effective leader and manager as well as a skilled craftsman in my trade. The only reason I am leaving is because I want to settle in my home town of White Cloud Michigan and stay there.
Pros
Skills learned
Cons
Constant deployments over seas
Air Force member
Fuel Systems Repair (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
On a typical day I may work 1-3 aircrafts requiring my area of expertise in fuel systems repair. In doing this job I have learned multi-tasking, teamwork, planning, meeting deadlines and doing my job to the best of my ability.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Deployments
Best Decision I've Ever Made
Superintendent, Maintenance Training (Former Employee) –  Luke AFB, AZFebruary 8, 2016
The military is a commitment and way of life. If you are unsure what you want to do and do not have the ability to pay for your education then the USAF is definitely the way to go. I wouldn't be where I am today without the USAF.
Good learning environment with unique equipment.
Physical Dimension Technician (Current Employee) –  Edwards AFB, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Learning new and exciting items to work on with the ability to become a leading expert with-in a shop provides a enjoyable work environment.
Military Pilot and Staff Officer
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Joint Base McGuire Dix LakehurstFebruary 8, 2016
Leading 180 US Air Force Airman and Civilians to accomplish superior mobility taskings and assignments. Leading Air Force's premier mobility schoolhouse in the education and training division.
Benefits
Cons
Deployments
Little Pay With Zero Stability
Emergency Management Program Director (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 8, 2016
Want to get paid pennies compared to your civilian counterparts while never seeing your family and getting rockets shot at you? Join the Air Force.
Pros
100% healthcare, tuition assistance, 30 days paid leave every year
Cons
doctors are unreliable, there are strings attached to the tuition assistance, and good luck trying to justify your leave
Productive and Professional Work Place
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Schriever AFB, COFebruary 7, 2016
I felt like I received a lot of specialized training that prepared me for numerous jobs an tasks. I enjoyed the professionalism of the coworkers I have had over the years.
Pros
Relaxed working atmosphere.
Cons
Long commute to work.

4.6