U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Found 12,061 reviews matching the search
Css
Personnel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day was signing every military member in on my unit. I am responsible for arranging career goals, duties, deployments, retirements, promotions, demotions and properly filing all documents to its correct destination. I learned how to take orders precisely. The environment is an overall friendly, fun, and outgoing environment. The hardest part of the job was getting someone proficient in my job to train me on areas I needed. I was the only CSS for my unit while the other CSS were located in headquarters. The most enjoyable part of the job is my fellow air men and the love/respect people have for what we do to make a difference. It truly is one team one fight.
Mission Oriented.
Material Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Holloman AFB, NMJanuary 7, 2017
No days are the same. So I had to be flexible. Got to do what was expected of me, and sometimes go beyond that - day in and day out. Sometimes work hours are long and demanding. I've learned that it's not about "liking" the job, it's about how much you put into it. What you do is who you are in the professional world. It's the military so you get orders on what and how to do thing from every NCO's, SNCO's and Comissioned Officer. Good days, bad days, just like any jobs.
Benefits
Cons
Minimum free time, being away from family
Essential life skill development
Airborne Cryptologic Language Analyst (Former Employee) –  USA, UAEDecember 18, 2016
The Air Force is not perfect but strives for improvement of itself as a functional whole and at the individual level. There is a constant push for embetterment of oneself and for ones role within the unit. The business like method of management prepares its members well for private sector realities. It instills one with essential morals conspicuously absent from many you meet in the private sector. It grants one with the sense of importance of the unit and not just improvement of ones own socio-economic standing.
Pros
self development, moral embetterment, strive to further education
Cons
mentally/physically takes its toll, sacrifice of many common comforts
Not the Chairforce.
Air Transportation Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Altus AFB, OKDecember 30, 2016
Though surprising to some, The Air Force isn't exclusively a day job military branch. If you make the mistake of picking or being in a position where you could be forced to work ANY kind of flight line job, expect to be stripped of all your time and self-esteem/worth. Though, if you pride yourself in being a hardbutt/domkeyhole, this is the job for you. Wallow in your resentment and insecurities with everyone at your shop. Morale will be low, just like you like it.
Pros
Benefits, part of something bigger, pushing your limits, pay
Cons
Nice guy finishes last. Part of a game for life.
Professional work atmosphere
Integrated Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 13, 2017
hard work, long hours, stressful work environment, but very rewarding. Being a maintenance technician in the air force is full of surprises, and not the most calm work place, but the people are amazing, and strong willed, passionate and determined to get the job done right. Its not the easiest place to work when you have a family, but it is definitely a job that builds character and puts your mind to the test
Pros
experience
Cons
short breaks, long hours, harsh work environment
Great job and training.
E-4 A1C (Former Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLJanuary 13, 2017
- A typical work day would take me to work, depending on work schedule. Got to repair shop and fix anything that is broken, perform preventative maintenance schedule.
- I learned many valuable lessons that would take me into the working life.
- Co-workers were a blast and funny and always telling stories of past assignments/war stories.
- The hardest part of my job was traveling to new assignments.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was my time off and I could ride my motorcycle.
Pros
Free meals and coffee
Cons
Pulling KP
Best decision of my life to join
Program/Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTDecember 17, 2016
The Air Force is by far the better branch of the US military to be in. The opportunities are endless and advancement is easy when the majority of your peers do the bare minimum. I recommend picking a career you will really want to do if possible. Then use all the education benefits to get at least two college degrees.
Pros
Travel, job security, benefits, decent pay
Cons
It is rather ridiculous working for someone you are more qualified than.
Was a life changing experience
Aerospace Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2016
I love the idea of serving my country and preserving our freedom and our peace.I'm grateful to have the chance to learn about myself, as well as others. I enjoyed seeing and experiencing different countries and the people whom lived there.The adventure gave me the opportunity to grow and become a man. I learned just how vast and wonderful our planet is. I met many different people and becoming really good friends with many.
Pros
Learning life lessons. Meeting new friends Experiencing new places
Cons
Experiencing tragedies of war. Being away from family.
Overall a great experience
Aerospace Propulsion Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 21, 2016
I was an aircraft mechanic so getting the job done and the planes flying was of more importance than flawless uniforms, I learned a great deal, got to travel and see the world. I would recommend this job to anyone, it allows for a lot of personal growth and teaches you to shut up and color. this was worth all the downsides for the GI bill alone
Pros
the benefits during and after through the VA
Cons
you are 100% owned. you are government property
Enjoyed my time serving and learned valuable skills
Knowledge Manager (Former Employee) –  Malmstrom AFB, MTDecember 15, 2016
There was a lot of work to be accomplished every day but we all worked as a team to complete all tasks provided. I learned professional communication skills from my mentors and the Commander, as well as different computer skills that enhanced my job performance.

The hardest part of the job was working an unknown amount of hours which can leave little time for additional education but if you practice time management, it can all be accomplished.

The best part of the job was obtaining skills that are useful at any job you may pursue and the comradery within the organization.
You will be busy with a network of brothers
Senior Airman - TACP (Current Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYDecember 21, 2016
High ops-tempo
Great team environment
Travel and time away from family
Reliable financial security
You will experience working for quality leaders and leaders who still require "time-in-the-saddle". Easily, at least 80 percent of your leadership through your time will take care of you and do what they can to lessen the burden of working for the military, but there is no command that can fully remove the sacrifice on your part. You will make friends that will last a life time, that you will always be able to count on.
Resume Summary
Supervisor, Logistics Plans and Programs (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 22, 2016
Highly competent leader and supervisor with over 20 years of logistics, information management, and human resources experience. Masterful at creating team synergy and achieving desired results. Superior record of exceeding expectations while managing diverse requirements. Well-versed at analyzing, recommending, and verbalizing solutions to solve customers’ critical issues. Generates confidence in those around him. Great attention to detail and oral communicator.
Pros
High Operations Tempo
Cons
Heavy Stress have to adapt and be resiliant
Productive Working environment
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  JBER, AKDecember 27, 2016
The USAF is an overall great career choice. It provides stability for the airmen and their families and also allows you to complete individual achievements on your personal time. The most enjoyable part of the Air Force is being able to travel to new places and meeting new people. The pay is well enough to keep yourself on your feet and still maintain a separate life from being an Airman. The only con I've encountered was working 12 hours shifts without being paid for overtime and being away from family.
Pros
Paid Holidays, Paid Vacations
Cons
Working 12 hour shifts without getting paid for overtime.
Sadly a very negative experience.
Pharmacy Technician (Inpatient) (Former Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAJanuary 3, 2017
I spent six years in the medical field and it was the most stressful and poor managed department that I have ever worked for. I have always been pro military and have a military family but my job pushed me to the point that I made the decision end my military career. The only thing that leadership cared about was their rank and how good they looked not what their subordinates were going through or the issues at lower ranking levels. I think that if I would have gotten a job in a different field other than medical my career in the military might have turned out differently.
Serving in the USAF living a military lifestyle
Military Personnel Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Lackland AFB, TXJanuary 6, 2017
Working in the United States Air Force is a great accomplishment. You will be productive and have hands-on training. Daily, new tasks will be introduced and completion will be expected. The day-to-day work environment is incredibly organized and task-driven. All members are expected to be self-sufficient and goal-oriented. At the same time, you must work well in a team. As a result, unbreakable friendships and new experiences will be created. Not a day goes by without a sense of achievement being fulfilled.
Pros
health benefits, tuition assistance, and financial aid.
Cons
the military lifestyle is not for everyone
Loved serving my country
Instrument and Flight Controls Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Barksdale AFB, LAJanuary 10, 2017
Spent 8 years going through the best training in the world, and being deployed all over the world. I loved watching planes taking off, and being called out before flight to fix something really quick. I loved being there when they landed, and talking to the crews about what they did, and what problems they ran into. Hardest part of my job was working the long hours in all the different scenarios Ive been outside when it was 130, and -60 trying to do the same job each had its unique challeneges.
Military Life
Bioenvironmental Engineering Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDDecember 16, 2016
The military allowed me to work in a cultured environment. Learning discipline, attention to detail, and excellence in all I do. The time I have spent in the Air Force was important to me and taught me exceptional work ethic. It also gave me the opportunity to work with and meet many different types of people. It aided in the growth of my interpersonal skills and gave me a sense of pride for who I am and what I contributed to our nation. The hardest part of the job was having to leave great people every 4 yrs or so, but it was also the most enjoyable because I was afforded the chance to meet and work with great peers at every duty station.
US Air Force
Superintendent - Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCDecember 17, 2016
Great place to work whether one chooses 4 years or 20 years. Of all military branches, I believe the Air Force provides better quality of life for its service members and family. However, it comes with some sacrifice. I missed out on family events and at times were sent away from my family for more than 6 months. All in all, its a great experience and I highly recommend anyone to join because it will build experience, character and gives anyone a sense of purpose.
Pros
Job security, Health Care, Life Style
Cons
Sacrifice, Time away from family
Built my foundation as a person
ICBM/Cruise Missile Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairchild Air Force Base, WA, Malmstrom AFBJanuary 3, 2017
The USAF was a perfect chance for me to basically create a disciplined and focused outlook of life. I garnered plenty of realistic values and goals and once I was ready to leave, I was prepared to take to the books and push myself towards a degree in game design: my childhood dream. The Air Force itself has a fairly deep sense of community and takes care of themselves, with only a few falling from grace as we see in social media and internet publications. For the most part, I achieved more than ever while I was enlisted.
Pros
Every benefit imaginable, good sense of community, large groups of great people to work with
Cons
Some micromanagement can be a hassle
Fulfilling job with great experiences
Client Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 18, 2016
All of the IT experience I have gained was through my Air Force career. I worked at the help desk on Langley Air Force Base where my day consisted on troubleshooting computer issues over the phone as well as remotely. I created new customer network accounts as well as fixed non working customer accounts. Management and co-workers were extremely helpful and provided a family like environment. The hardest part of the job was the influx of customer calls in an office where the manning was extremely low. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around people that were always so willing to assist others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6