U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,662 reviews matching the search
Career Building Environment with Patriotic Pride
Electrical & Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2016
Aircraft Maintenance on U-2's, KC-135's, and F-16 fighter jets respectively. I learned how to work in a high-paced environment under stressful conditions. I learned that attention to detail not only preserved your life but others around you as well. I learned how to trust my co-workers with my life and rely on them in hard situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the travel and being exposed to different cultures.
Very good experience
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 25, 2016
You really learn a lot about life and becoming your own person, must be in shape to pass a physical test. You do have your good and bad days while being in just wish you could keep the good supervisors but everything changes and you have to deal with change a lot. Best part is deploying and getting to see how the real military is and how everyone makes it better while your deployed.
Pros
benefits, college, friends
Cons
policy changes all the time
Great workplace and opportunities
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home A F B, IDMay 9, 2016
The Air Force provided me with many education and travel opportunities which I happily accepted. A typical day at work was talking to customers/other Air Force colleagues, helping people out with equipment and fitness, creating spreadsheets for events and equipment. I learned how to be a team player and to keep your head up no matter where life takes you. There's always light at the end of the tunnel. My co-workers were great to be around and they challenged me every day.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Saying goodbye to friends
working in a Airforce warehouse gives you a broad realization of running a warehouse
logistics (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2016
A typical day in the office usually starts out with Briefings on what needs to be done and who you will be working with in your section of the warehouse.the hardest part of the job is staying away from the flightline where all your planes and vehicles are stored.the best part is actually being able to go on the flightline.my coworkers are awesome i consider every last one of my coworkers to be family.
Pros
always busy
Cons
short breaks
Corporate Air Force
Expanded Dental Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Whiteman AFB, MOMay 10, 2016
My time spent in the Air Force made me wish I joined another Branch. My reasons are of course just my own opinion and it may be just the reason for others to join. Long story short the Air Force felt and operated more like a civilian corporation, which if you are looking to move the civilian sector after the air force then the transition will be a smooth one, If you are however looking to get the feeling that your serving with your brother and sisters in uniform facing america's enemies and not another report than another branch may be for you.
Pros
United States Armed forces
Cons
Very corporate feeling and structuring.
Overall Experience
Intern Teller (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 20, 2016
A typical day was not the same each day. The work schedule various, you could have the morning or evening shift. I learned how to manage the cashiers breaks, fill tills, count each cashiers tills, recognize error, input cashier data, closing procedures, bundle money, and maintain a certain amount of money in the safe.
Management was approachable for the most part. The hardest part of the job was learning the sku numbers for the produce and vegetables (not really that hard). The most enjoyable part of the job was counting the money at night, scanning items, greeting military personnel. You receive GS rate pay, vacation and sick leave accumulates.
Meaningful job
Non-destructive Testing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 3, 2016
- Provides key leadership/mentorship of 15 prsnl performing NDI operations on 70 assigned C-130H/J acft and AGE
- Leads lab in eddy current, magnetic particle, optical, fluorescent dye penetrant, ultrasonic & radiographic techniques
- ID's metallurgical information of components according to alloy, temper, conductivity, density and varied properties
- Supervises process control & operator mx on NDI's hazardous materials & specialized portable/stationary test eqpmt
United States Air Force
Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Andrews AFB, MDMay 22, 2016
I spent 20 years in the Air Force, and I've seen parts of the world, and worked jobs I never would have known existed. As the lead Administrator of the biggest clinic there were no "typical" days. I enjoyed managing people, and resources laid to my charge. The hardest part of my job was saying goodbye after Retirement. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of others, fostering team work, an successfully completing the daily operations of the mission.
Pros
Learning new processes
Fitness Center Fun
Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nellis AFB, NVApril 21, 2016
A typical work day consisted of taking phone calls and answering customers questions as well as performing daily upkeep of the facility. We also helped with coordination of events such as the wounded warrior trials. While working there I learned not to take customers reactions to personally, which was also the hardest thing to do. My coworkers were a fun bunch and the most enjoyable part of the fitness world was coordinating events for others to enjoy and teaching fitness classes.
Great experience but will be over worked
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 25, 2016
The Air Force has been a great experience and I have enjoyed it and had positive overall experience. Leadership can be good or bad depending on how commander and culture is. Benefits are ok, housing allowance is nice, but base pay is way behind inflation and with budget cuts coming down everyone has to do more with less which means you have to do your job excellent along with your other 7 additional duties, which is very hard to balance.
Strong Teamwork Environment
Aircraft Maintenance Technician/Flight Chief (Former Employee) –  Edwards AFB CA, Hill AFB UT, Fairchild AFB, WAMay 5, 2016
Enjoyed working with others to get the job done. Long hours that came with job satisfaction at the end of the day. Lots of training was provided throughout my military career which in turn has given me a larger skill set to work with outside of military life. Worked aircraft maintenance the majority of my career which through time, experience, and rank allowed me to work management positions the last 3 years.
Pros
Team camaraderie
Cons
Long hours, not home enough
Great Opportunities
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 6, 2016
The United States Air Force provides significant opportunities to grow and develop your skills as you progress. Each level provides for more responsibility and a better chance to influence the next wave of Airmen. Every person has a role they fulfill and without the consistent teamwork and dedication of the members, its successes would not come to fruition. While full of challenges and stress, it is how you manage and grow with each one that molds you into a strong, dependable and skilled team member.
Pros
Education benefits, opportunity to travel
Cons
Low pay (but it isn't about the pay), dangers associated (but worth it)
I loved the United States Air Force
Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCMay 6, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed every day of work during my time on active duty. The trust I had to complete my daily tasks was unmatched. I learned everything I know from the Air Force, from every day life to professional life. Management was always extremely in tune. My co-workers were considered more like family. The hardest part of the job would have been the physical demands of the job and the Air Force. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything else.
Pros
Job security, Management, Professionalism, high morale.
Cons
14 hour days out in the elements
A unique experience
Security Forces Officer (Former Employee) –  WorldwideMay 14, 2016
A great career where you advance up purely on merit, and you make some lifelong friends who will always help you out. There's still some office politics in the workplace, but for the most part you are a team that feels more like a family.
Pros
Great benefits, job security, potential to work and live in foreign countries
Cons
Sometimes get stationed in undesirable locations, deployments will take you away from family for at least 9 months, Chief of Staff has his priorities all wrong
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table
Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Litchfield Park, AZMay 15, 2016
A typical day of work started with an hour or so of physical training early in the morning. After breakfast, we would all clock in for work at 8:30 AM. From there I would either perform routine maintenance on ground equipment after thoroughly washing it, or I would do repairs in accordance with manuals. Most of all, from working in the Air Force, I learned how to get a job done efficiently as a team.
Pros
burrito truck visits
Cons
short hair cut
Weapons Load Crew Chief
Weapons Load Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTMay 17, 2016
Maintain all weapon control systems and fixes any faults that arise during aircraft operations. Tracked all pieces of maintenance equipment and created a tracking system to perform quarterly inspections.

Trained new individuals on how to safely and properly perform their job while also updating their records to reflect what training has been completed or is still required.
Pros
New aircraft that expands the capability of the Air Force.
Experience varies based on your job
Bioenvironmental Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 21, 2016
The Air Force has been a great experience overall. However I started my career on the flight line were we consistently worked 12+ hour days, often times finishing a job early meant that you would sit around doing nothing for several hours until released. I was lucky to be able to cross-train into a non-flight line job and the experience is the complete opposite, set schedule, I got to choose the time I start work, have an hour lunch everyday and can take care of appointments and personal errands (oil change, DMV visit) during the day. You are paid based on rank not time spent at work so don't kill yourself when you could enjoy your time.
Excellent Place to work and advance
Production Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Hurlburt Field, FLApril 19, 2016
The United States Air Force was a wonderful place for me to excel at my abilities. The constant daily activities gave me the challenges to use all of my skills at a high level of expertise. In my later career I managed over forty people on average maintaining Air Force aircraft.
The hardest parts were working to get an aircraft flight worthy in the deadline given, especially when the aircraft required extensive maintenance. One of the best things about the Air Force was the internal unit cohesion, where you can deal with your personnel at any level needed to meet their needs in order to complete the mission.
Pros
excellent teamwork at all levels
Cons
short and erratic breaks
United States Air Force
Aircraft Parts Store Section Chief (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCApril 17, 2016
I directed materiel management activities involved in developing, operating, implementing and analyzing manual and automated integrated logistics systems. I also managed item and monetary accounting, inventory control, financial planning and warehousing functions.

A typical workday was at least nine hours. I had the opportunity to lead people and manage day-to-day logistics operations at each duty station that I was assigned to and abroad.
Pros
Health Care, Education Benifits
A good stepping stone toward my law enforcement career.
Visitor Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Creech AFB, NVApril 19, 2016
Typical day would consist of patrolling the base looking for any security deficiencies. I learned a great deal of discipline and what good security looks like. I had some bad supervisors, but also had some really great ones. The camaraderie within the teams were great. I have some life long friends. The hardest part of the job was definitely the long hours, but you get used to it. The most enjoyable part was definitely working with people from all over the country and making great friends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6