U.S. Air Force

8.7K reviews

U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Important job with decent pay. Good training. Poor leadership
Commissioned Air Force Officer and Pilot (Former Employee), Several Bases in the U.S.May 16, 2013
Pros: exciting flying, exotic aircraft
Cons: poor leadership and managment, additional stressful duties, very little recognition for success, no personal life
The Air Force was a mix of a good workplace at times to a very stressful environment at other times. Obviously military operations require a certain amount of risk, and those risks need to be taken seriously with a balance of having a good time as a group of people who depend on each other. Generally, as an Air Force pilot my typical work day would vary an incredible amount. As a Special Operations pilot, I would fly about two times per month. It is my feeling that this amount of flight time was not adequate to retain proficiency, but due to budget cuts during the height of the war on terrorism we were forced to be proficient with as little as 20 hours a month of flight time. On a flying day, I would typically show at the base around 1 PM to start mission planning for a flight to include planning the training route we would fly, preparing the crew briefing and filling out flight plans and any additional paperwork needed for the mission. Around six in the evening we would bring all players to include flight crew and we would brief the details of the flight. Around 7:30 in the evening we would fly a six hour mission under night vision goggles at low level (500 feet above the ground) to an airdrop, a helicopter air refueling mission, or a blacked out landing on a dirt runway. Usually the end of the mission would have us practicing instrument procedures and takeoffs and landings at the base or other local airfields. Following the mission we would have a thorough de-briefing before heading home. During the de-briefs, any mistakes that were made were discussed to prevent them in the – more... future

On a non flying day, which was the majority of days I would concentrate on my "Additional Duties" as the Mobility Officer for the squadron. This was a managment job where I was in charge of the squadron's mobility budget, equipment, and supplies. the purpose of the job was to deploy a then brand new Air Force Squadron to combat from it's initial beginings. The 79th Rescue Squadron and the 319th Special Operations Squadron where two units that I volunteered for, and I had to build the mobility programs for both squadron's from scratch. I was given a budget and several inlisted personel whom I supervised. The first task of the job was to purchase the equipment needed for the unit to effectively deploy. With our budget, we had to buy everything from computers, to staplers to Assault weapons and pistols to be carried by the crews in flight. Once the equipment was purchased we had to prepare the equipment and personel for deployments. On the cargo and equipment side, I had to work with agencies on base and throughout the Air Force to create, organize, catalog and weigh cargo to be deployed on airlift assets to the theater of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. On the personel side of the job, we were responsible for mobility training, record keeping and the deployment of all personel in the squadron. In many cases we had to get all our members of the squadron official passports, immunizations so that they could safely deploy. Another aspect, was arranging airlift transportation for individuals in the squadron to the various bases where we deployed.

In the Air Force, you tend to shift jobs every few years. I also served as a tactics officer, where I was responsible for creating real world training scenareos for our aircraft back in the U.S. that would better prepare them for combat operation overseas. This included scenario based training in the aircraft, as well as classified briefings on our best tactics relative to the enemies equipment and tactics.

Two other additional duties were as the squadron's Drop Zone Control Officer and Landing Zone Safety Officer. Often times myself and an enlisted member of the squadron would drive to austere areas of the Arizona desert to control the drop zone or landing zone for our aircraft. Usually it would include setting out an Infared light source on the runway or drop zone, taking wind readings for the drop, and retreiving practice parachute loads post airdrop while relaying how close the crew had come to actually dropping the practice load on target and on time.

The best part of the job was getting to be a pilot and flying operational missions. Unfortunetly, I did not get to fly as often as I would want to really enjoy the job.

As to co-workers, I would say that I'm split on my feelings. I met and worked with many really fine individuals in the Air Force. I have the utmost respect for the enlisted individuals I served with during my seven years in the Air Force and feel they are the ones that make the force work. As to my fellow officers and pilots, I am mixed somewhat. For the most part, I had great friends in the pilots that were of equal rank throughout most of my Air Force time. They are good hard working educated individuals who were required to retain a high level of professionalism in a very stressfull time in this nations history. I personally was dissapointed with individuals between the rank of Major and LT Colonel. I felt those individuals became careerists who were much more interested in being promoted and advancing their political aspirations then they were in mentoring and helping the younger company grade officers whom they commanded. The only exception I would make to this feeling is a handfull of Majors and Lt Colonels I flew with in various phases of training. Those individuals in the training command were in a position to help and mentor, but on a squadron level I felt that us younger pilots where in "an eat your young" situation. Any mistake an individual made on the job, or in their personal life was often times known by the people in charge. Generally, I never felt that many of these individuals ever really took the time to mentor or help us younger officers. In the Air Force, I felt that their was a huge bias against single individuals. When additional duties needed to be accomplished the single people were called first, while the married individuals seemed to get a pass due to their families. Furthermore, I felt that commanders tended to want to promote married officers over single individuals, unless the single folks were willing to have basically no life other then the Air Force.

I felt the Colonels and few Generals I met or knew seemed to care about the forces and people under their command, but the main managers seemed to be apathetic to the younger officers whom they commanded.

I'd say the hardest part of the job is all of the various responsibilities put on mostly younger officers. To work a full time managment job, while retaining proficiency as a combat pilot was very tasking on an individual. Sadly, on the pilot side of the house their were several accidents that lead to fatalities during my time in the Air Force. Most of these accidents were the result of a lack of flight time by aircrew and problems in proficiency. Rather then increase the hours of flight training for aircrew, the Air Force just put more stress on its crews by adding additional stressful checkrides and tests in an attempt to prevent future accidents. Everything was put on the individual, and basically bandaids were placed on easily fixable problems. – less
good place to work
Electrical Engineer -Power (Former Employee), Hurlburt Field, FLOctober 5, 2013
o Creates, designs and analyzes new products in a multitude of polymers and manufacturing processes
o Master of Embedded systems.
o Does performance reviews, cost estimation and schedule meetings, fabrication and procurement issues.
o one line diagrams, cable trays and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID's) and decision making skills.
o Manages a team of 28 E/I Engineers.
o Maintain Time sheets and design reviews set ups.
o Experience in working with design teams, implicated strategic construction planning, involved in comprehensive engineering solutions, which include schematic, design/development and construction phase for various industrial/government projects.
o Key Strengths: Promis-E, AutoCAD, Electrical Design Master, Siemens PLCs and HMIs, FESTO valves and Sensors, ABB/SIEMENS/ROCKWELL Drives, Pspice, Matlab, Matcad, Multisim
o Experience in PSPICE , MATLAB and MCAD.
o Knowledge and implementation of electric/electronic/pneumatic control systems design, CAD drafting standards, programming PLCs/HMIs.
o Ability to design and draft single line drawings, logic drawings, controls and LAN network drawings, panel layouts, conduit layouts, wire schedules, and instrumentation loops.
o Ability to perform lighting level calculations, short circuit calculations and over current protection for both lighting and power applications.
o Ability to perform control and power distribution/ transformers/single-three phase motor/ generator calculations (low, medium and high voltage system), protective relaying, fire detection and security system, voltage drop calculations, route conduit and cable – more... tray.
o Knowledge of cost estimation and price analysis to develop and facilitate cost effective designs, perform all bid process requirements, construction project planning and management.
o Capability of strategic planning, management and supervision.
o Provide safety leadership relative to electrical distribution and power systems. Qualify personnel in safe operation of High and Medium Voltage switching and execution of electrical system Lock Out/Tag Out.
o Lead development and implementation of arc flash, power system and electrical distribution Standard Operating Procedures and employee training and qualification
o Work collaboratively with Engineering, Management, SHE, Purchasing, Maintenance and Reliability, Planning, Human Resources, Finance, Planning, and contractors on scoping, developing and implementing projects and programs.
o Demonstrated competency with export power generation systems larger than 10 MVA; larger than 25 MVA.
o Power electronics Design expert. (Analog and Digital Design
o Examines existing products for cost, manufacturability, functionality, and quality improvements.
o Drives recommendations for products and projects as required; drives improvements in designs of existing products.
o Maintains direct interaction with Marketing & Sales and clients during the development of new products.
o Supports production facilities to drive product improvement, cost reduction, and product specification efforts.
o Analyzes design problems using engineering, mathematical principles and extensive knowledge of tooling and products.
o Creates design concepts and production level CAD drawings to support new products and existing product improvement.
o Develops product specifications for newly developed products and modifications to existing products.
o Monitors tooling success and make adjustments as required; communicate job schedule as necessary.
o Mentor and Lead Electrical Designer Levels I & II on best practices in product and tool designs.
o Supplies product designs & PLC programming requirements to Electrical Designer Level I and Engineering Technicians.
o Direct current power supplies and circuits for instrumentation, DCS and PLC systems and safety interlocks/shutdowns.
o All instrumentation and field analyzers, both analog and discrete.
o Coordinates all levels of Design Input as dictated in the department documentation.
o Coordinates the analysis of SPC data for corrective actions.
o Evaluates product function & performance during customer startups.
o Worked with maintenance of Fired Heaters, air condenser, crude oil tower and reflux drums on daily basis.
o Experience programming PLC’S and DCS.
o Process control systems architecture design implementation.
o Thorough understanding of the engineering documents associated with electrical/instrumentation such as: P& IDs, loop sheets, specification sheets, electrical line diagrams, logic diagrams, installation detail drawings, etc
o Work on Voltage above 138KV and below 600V.
o Resolve Electrical equipment reliability malfunctions.
o Provide advice on safety, reliability, replacement, and flexibility of the electrical equipment.
o Knowledge of different SAP modules.
o Working knowledge of test equipment and test methods.
o Provide routine electrical support to refinery process plants that include, but are not limited to, refining, NGL and utilities plants.
o Provide routine electrical operation support to refinery in-house power generation and electrical distribution systems.
o Perform electrical system studies, such as system transients, dynamic modeling and load flow and reliability calculations.
o Prepare electrical design packages and specify materials to add new equipment or modify existing systems.
o Prepare scoping, review proposals and detailed designs and follow-up on execution of major projects.
o Develop operating and switching procedures for electrical equipment.
o Prepare annual and long range operating plans and objectives.
o Troubleshoot, review, and implement solution for electrical problems/issues.
o Provide technical standards/reports for preventative and predictive maintenance and repair of electrical equipment.
o Provide technical expertise during testing, commissioning, and start-ups on new electrical equipment installation.
o Support project engineering group in reviewing designing of electrical equipment, electrical distribution systems and substations.
o Work within other organization to identify trends and opportunities to improve plant/stations availability, increase plant capacity, growth, reliability, maintainability and expandability. – less
Security Forces - Senior Airman (Former Employee), Hanscom AFB, MAAugust 6, 2014
Supervised and coordinated activities of personnel assigned to police military unit. Excelled in leading others in ground operations during Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom. Supervised and coordinated the activities of several crew members while operating and maintaining weapons and equipment worth millions of dollars during military operations. Secured U.S. and Coalition assets valued at over $10 billion while in a deployed location. Diligently searched over 400 vehicles and thousands of personnel while ensuring the safety of 14,000 coalition forces overseas. In Pass and Identification administrative office, registered military servicemembers, retirees, and their dependents in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Explained in written and oral correspondence eligibility requirements for TRICARE benefits. Entered, updated, and maintained personal information into computerized database of uniformed services members, their family members, and others eligible for benefits. Operated office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, and phone systems, and use computers for spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and other applications. Answered telephones and gave information to callers, took messages, or transferred calls to appropriate individuals. Greeted visitors or callers and handled their inquiries or directed them to the appropriate persons according to their needs. Set up and maintained paper and electronic filing systems for records, correspondence, and other material. Located and attached appropriate files to incoming correspondence – more... requiring replies. Opened, read, routed, and distributed incoming mail or other materials and answered routine letters. Completed forms in accordance with company procedures. Examined applications for military passes and identification. Review documents for accuracy and completeness. Participated as a valuable team member in the protection of the Joint Chief of Staff General James E. Cartwright while in a combat area. In combat and in garrison, patrolled premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of weapons and equipment. Monitor and authorized entrance and departure of persons to maintain security of premises. Investigated and seized evidence at war zone ambush sites, insurgency sites, buildings, and enemy properties. Conducted investigations and interrogated enemy prisoners of war as a team member of a military task force. Received written and verbal reports from suspects, witnesses, and confidential informants. Prepared and wrote reports of investigations and daily activities such as equipment, weapons, and property damage, theft, or presence of unauthorized persons. Escorted individuals to specified locations, providing for the protection and that of others. Monitored command frequencies in order to detect distress calls and responded by allocating military resources. Communicated with receiving operators in order to exchange transmissions. Conducted pre-combat checks for periodic maintenance of equipment inspections and routine radio checks in order to ensure that operational standards were met. Assumed responsibility for safekeeping of money and valuables taken from prisoners, lost or stolen articles, and property held as evidence. Supervised work of other Police Officers who searched suspects. Supervised Dispatcher engaged in sending and receiving police communication via telephone and radio systems. Received notification and informed commanding officer of calls and orders received over police communication systems. Recorded information, such as name of arresting officer and prisoner's name, address, and charge, to complete precinct activity reports for commanding officer. Commanded subordinate officers and subordinate personnel on assigned duty and assumed responsibility for efficiency and discipline of workers under command. Questioned callers to determine their locations, and the nature of their problems to determine type of response needed. Received incoming telephone or alarm system calls regarding emergency and non-emergency police service, and after hours calls. Determined response requirements and relative priorities of situations, and dispatched units in accordance with established procedures. Recorded details of calls, dispatches, and messages. Entered, updated, and retrieved information from teletype networks and computerized data systems regarding such things as wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, and stolen vehicles. Maintained access to, and security of, highly sensitive materials. Relayed information and messages to and from emergency sites, to law enforcement agencies, and to all other individuals or groups requiring notification. Scanned status charts and computer screens, and contacted emergency response field units to determine emergency units available for dispatch. Observed alarm registers and scan maps to determine whether a specific emergency was in the dispatch service area. – less
Given chances to learn different skills
Security Forces Flight Chief (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSApril 30, 2013
AIR FORCE COURSE: L3ABR3P031 002, Security Forces Apprentice
LENGTH: 10 Week, 1 Day.
(Description Dates JUN 1955 - NOV 2004)
Trains security forces personnel to perform the duties of security force apprentice. Training includes career field history; training and supervision; force protection OPSEC principles; threats to USAF installations and resources; legal considerations and provisions; general security forces duties; application of force; weapons; air base defense and contingency operations; Security Police (SP) operations. Prerequisite: Student must be prepared to perform rigorous physical activities to achieve field training objectives. ECL: 70. Special Requirements: 1. Student must meet weight and fitness standards according to AFI 40-502. (AIR FORCE TRAINING HISTORY COURSE: L3ABR3P031 002)

AIR FORCE COURSE: L8ALR3P031A0H1A, Military Working Dog Handler Course
LENGTH: 55 Days.
(Description Dates JUN 1955 - AUG 2005)
The instructional design for this course is Group-Paced. The course trains airmen, sister Service personnel, and other government agency personnel to perform duties prescribed in AFI 36-2108 for Military Working Dog Handlers in AFSC 3P0X1A (or sister Service equivalent). Training includes: Safety procedures, maintenance of dogs; kennel and equipment; principles of conditioning; utilization of dogs; document training and utilization records, perform as decoy and maintaining proficiency of dogs in obedience, obedience – more... course, aggression, scouting, patrolling, vehicle patrol, conditions under gunfire, and substance detection, maintaining proficiency of dog teams, advising on the use of dog teams, explosives and chemical security and safety, legal considerations and security of drugs. (AIR FORCE TRAINING HISTORY COURSE: L8ALR3P031A0H1A)

AIR FORCE COURSE: L3AZR3P071 010, Traffic Management and Accident Investigation
LENGTH: 3 Weeks, 2 Days 17 Days.
(Description Dates MAR 2004 - AUG 2004)
Page Last Updated: 19 Mar 2004 Provides training for US Armed Forces personnel and DoD civilians performing Military Police duties in the knowledge and skills needed to perform as a traffic investigator. Scope of training includes; Analyze Accident Components, Hit and Run Investigations, Diagramming, Legal Aspects, Accident Photography, Planning Traffic Management, Drug and Alcohol Enforcement, Formulas, and Accident Reports. (AIR FORCE TRAINING HISTORY COURSE: L3AZR3P071 010)

AIR FORCE COURSE: PME CODE 0, Airman Leadership School
LENGTH: 23 Days.
(Description Dates JUN 1955 - OCT 2011)
Leadership and Management (LMM 1101): Role and responsibilities of airmen; theories, techniques, and practical application of leadership/followership; supervision; management; stress management; problem solving; concepts of human behavior; standards of discipline; effective counseling techniques; evaluation of enlisted personnel; and current social issues. Managerial Communications (LMM 1102): Principles of oral/written communications for airmen, theories/concepts of communications, factors influencing communication process, speaking techniques including oral presentations, and principles of effective writing. Military Studies (LMM 1103): Organization, mission, and history of Air Force; dress and appearance; drill/ceremonies; customs/courtesies; respect for flag; military deterrence; democratic process; code of conduct; and personal readiness. Introduction to Total Quality Management (LMM 1104): Introduction to the total quality approach to management. Includes the quality Air Force commitment; seven-step continuous improvement process; quality environment, tools, metrics, roles and responsibilities; and effective team-building concepts. (AIR FORCE TRAINING HISTORY COURSE: PME CODE 0

AIR FORCE COURSE: L3ACR3P071 0C0A, Security Forces Craftsman
LENGTH: 2 Weeks.
(Description Dates MAR 2008 - NOV 2008)
This course replaces Course L3ACR3P071-003 to comply with the new AETC course numbering system only. This course satisfies the Career Field Education and Training Plan's (CFETP) formal school requirements for the award of the 7-skill level in the Security Forces career field. The course provides training for those personnel in 7-level upgrade training on: Squad weapons maintenance and fundamentals to include the M203 Grenade Launcher, M240B Machine Gun, M249 Automatic Rifle, employment of the M18A1 Claymore Mine, and the M67 Hand Grenade. Air Base Defense topics include: Priorities of work, routines in defense, employing obstacles, and preparation of warning/operation orders. (AIR FORCE TRAINING HISTORY COURSE: L3ACR3P071 0C0A) – less
An amazing job that allowed for personal and professional growth
Security Response Team Leader/Patrolman (Former Employee), Vandenberg AFB, CAJuly 19, 2012
A typical day at work varied depending on the position I was currently in. It could range from that of a security guard, patrolling an assigned area while staying vigilant for signs of a threat to that of a police officer, taking on a more active role in seeking out offenders through the use of selective enforcements, random vehicle inspections, running radar, and responding to calls ranging from domestic disturbances to stolen vehicles. I also spent a good amount of time as a 911 dispatcher, which consisted of dealing with complainants at the station and effectively dispatching routes while plotting cordons, safe routes, casualty collection points, and entry plans when necessary. As a supervisor, I was also personally responsible for eight to twelve troops at a time, ensuring they were all trained to the highest standards, while ensuring their quality of life was the best the unit could provide (IE helping with any issues that were detrimental to their work performance, to the best of my abilities and referring them elsewhere when necessary.) Due to the military situation it was more than just managerial work, it became mentorship, and I greatly enjoyed that part of the job.

If there was one thing I can certainly say I learned from my time in the Air Force, it would be versatility. Working such a variety of jobs under one title, deployments to the middle east, and also writing performance reports, award packages, all while be selected for training schools required the ability to keep a list of priorities and always ensure the mission got done. This gave me a great ability – more... to manage my time well in order to take on and complete multiple projects at the same time.

Management was almost always good in my time in the Air Force, though there were a couple rough patches and numerous transitions in management, which inevitably would shift policies in the direction of new management. This again fostered versatility and an understanding that the new management was going in a new direction because that was a better direction, more inline with accomplishing the mission in the most effective way.

Co-workers in the Air Force more times felt like a second family than people you worked with. When you are posted with people for twelve to fourteen hours at a time you get to know one another. You also get a feel for each others professional styles and find a way to mesh, in order to make the most effective team you can. I found this to be a very positive experience, working with people from every imaginable background to accomplish the same goals and get the job done.

If I had to pick some hardest parts of the job, they would definitely be deployments to the middle east taking you away from home for six months to over a year at a time and fighting as hard as you can to maintain a good quality of living for your troops. There were more times than not solutions to both of these hardships. With deployments I would just take it one day at a time and focus on getting done what needed to be done. For my troops, I would use the chain of command in order to take care of them to the best of my ability. There were times when because of the mission, my troops could not be at home for the birth of a child or the funeral of a family member. This was absolutely the hardest part, knowing I fought tooth and nail, but did not really accomplish anything. Usually troops were aware that I was doing this and fully appreciated it, sometimes they were not aware and probably hated me for it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was without a doubt the sense of accomplishment from a job well done. It was not always easy to see the effects of your work. If a good police officer has anything to measure his work by, I suppose it would be safe neighborhoods that someone would be proud to call home. Other times it was more readily apparent: the safe arrival of a convoy, the arrest of a criminal, or even the launching of a multi-billion dollar rocket with zero security breaches. My personal favorite part, however, was the mentoring of my troops. To see them succeeding in their careers and moving up the chain, getting ranks early, and assisting their peers in getting better. This was not always easy, some people are not the easiest to motivate. It takes a special care in getting to know someone to truly understand what motivates them. Because it was not easy, I suppose that is what made it the most personally rewarding.

Overall I would rate my time in the Air Force as very positive. Some days were not the best, but every day can't be perfect. Most individuals I worked with were all working as hard as they could to complete the mission. We worked as a team and understood how each part of the team worked. This fostered a respect up and down the chain of command and led to continuous mission success. – less
Pre-Screening Questions
Program Manager (Current Employee), GlobalJune 27, 2014
Pros: travel and experiences
Cons: stability
What can you contribute to a new employer?

I am confident hard worker, and I have a diverse military background in management. I am flexible to schedule changes, so transitions will be easy. I am also able to take on multiple tasks while prioritizing and organizing accordingly.

What is your greatest strength? And why?

I believe that my greatest strength is my ability to investigate. Throughout my career I have been the “go to” person for discrepancies and problems within projects or programs. The outcomes of those findings have been beneficial for their counterpart solutions.

What do you think is your greatest weakness? And why?

My greatest weakness is patience. If time management is an issue when completing deadlines, my knack for patience grows thin. Attending to suspensions while an agenda is pressing, slows progress.

How would you describe your greatest accomplishment?

Serving in the Armed Forces will always be one of my greatest accomplishments. While acting as an ambassador for my country, I was able to live, travel, and work with foreign nationals. I broadened my familiarity with culture, and diversity for a variety of different experiences.

Describe a time when you disagreed with your boss. What was the result?

My supervisor decided that she would be the delegate for our office during an inspection since she was the most experienced. I disagreed, and suggested the whole office be present so that a mixture of members from different positions is available for response. She disagreed and went ahead with the decision to pursue it alone. The result ended in an unsatisfactory – more... rating for our inspection.

What is the most difficult thing you have ever done?

While working as an administrator at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida a hurricane damaged 98% of our assets. Even with preparation for the storm, we were unable to preserve our buildings and offices. Initiating operations without equipment and resources was extremely difficult.

What is the largest project you have ever worked on?

As a manager in Aviano Air Base, Italy, our team had to expand to a separate location for training. I lead the assignment to build a tracking program that would document resources, training, and personnel. The report, and analysis consisted of 11K training items, 84 personnel, and 123K resources worth $2.3M. The trip was successful!

What do you see yourself doing 5 years from? How do you plan to get there?

I see myself in a top management position of a well-established company. I can do this by building up my achievements within my realm. By then, I will have my Masters degree in Business Management, since I am already enrolled in the BBA program.

Describe a challenge you faced, and how you addressed it.

A challenge that I faced was to become a Property and Housing Manager. The job was far from my every day functions, but I needed to expand my employment for greater opportunities. I addressed it by gaining knowledge of how the process worked, through examining instructions and regulations. I soon became proficient in the subjects pertaining to contracts and laws surrounding Housing and Property Management.

What makes you a better choice than any other job seeker?

I am globally diverse! Not only have I worked in a variety of places in the US, but I have also worked abroad in places such as Germany, Spain and Turkey. I have also faced a number of different scenarios that many other candidates may not have any knowledge of, like natural disasters and relocations.

Choose a previous job you held, and describe what you learned from it.

Being a Property Manager is certainly different, specifically because you’re handling the living environment of your customers. Working in a traditional office where the results are controlled through analysis, I find it easier to pinpoint the solutions. With managing a residence, people have different standards of living; therefore, the same analysis is not always the correct answer.

Choose a previous job you held, and describe what you liked most about it.

I enjoyed working as a Fighter Squadron Program Manager at Langley, Virginia; Kunsan Air Base, Korea; and Aviano, Italy. These positions enabled me to challenge myself as it gave opportunities for growth, and proficiency. In this particular position, you are given multiple tasks while controlling the progress of over four different programs. The job was very rewarding.

Choose a previous employer, and describe what you liked most about the company.

Working at the 35th Fighter Squadron in Kunsan Air Base, Korea was tremendous due to the amount of continuity. Communication, time management, and teamwork were all integrated into short-term and long-term plans; for that reason, the amount of work accomplished was done with little error. – less
Loved it and I would recommend it to any young person unsure of what they want to do with their life.
Battlefield Weather Forecaster (Former Employee), Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: you get trained in a particular career field of which you get to choose(stick to your guns), you get to travel all over the world or at least the country, you meet tons of new people some are even like minded, you get to support your country with many an american man and woman patting you on the back, the healthcare benefits cannot be beat, plenty of room for upward growth..
Cons: during periods of training or deployment you are away from your family
A typical day in the air force for me started out with physical training in the morning at about 7 am for one hour then starting work at 8:30 where I would receive briefings from co-workers about the regional and tactical weather patterns and forecasts. From there I would take over the desk for that particular field of operations and begin by analyzing the current weather data to further grasp what was happening. As they were published I would interpret and apply numerical, graphical, satellite and radar data to my forecast worksheet and build a daily forecast. All the while every hour on the hour I would take a weather forecast and disseminate it. If any inclement weather was anticipated I would timely issue any forecast watches, warnings and advisories. At the end of my shift I would prepare a short and concise weather briefing to convey the weather situation to the following person. At times my work days were quite different from that with such things as training over the computer or in the field(which was the best part of the job), in or out processing a base, traveling to or from a deployed location or training facility, or there would be some changes to the typical workday itself such as having to prepare and lead a verbal briefing for aviators, task force commanders, and/or weather personnel. It was widely varied.

I learned many many skills during my time in the military from general computer skills, to proficiency in excel, powerpoint, outlook, and word, I learned tactical vehicle driving, tactical movement, public speaking, proficiency in light armaments, CPR, battlefield – more... first responder medical training, how to be professional and confident in front of those who significantly outrank you, I was trained in survival, evasion, resistance and escape, and more.

Management could have been much much better, often times you would be given multiple orders that seemed to conflict and so you would be inhibited from completing your orders until your supervisor could get clarification. It is really easy for someone who is book smart but not a real leader to get into a leadership position simply by ranking. You gain rank simply by taking tests, and as long as you study and have half a brain you will pass the test and go to the next rank. Its really quite simple and easy. That said you find yourself many times having to take orders from someone who has no skills in motivating or leading period.

You will find that your co-workers are usually great people, extremely varied coming from all walks of life from nudists to hill billy folk and everyone in between. That said, you will find that many people in the military are highly competitive and there is even an almost high school esque band of clicks that will form. These are mostly in the younger airmen and will eventually end by either those airmen maturing or leaving the service. Its difficult to maintain those groups when you and your buddies are constantly being shipped from here to there every couple years and with people gaining or losing stripes left and right.

For me the hardest part of this job was the level of stress, never before had I ever had so much responsibility thrust upon me so quickly, I was responsible for the safety of personnel and other military assets like aircraft worth millions if not more. I would often come home from the end of the day and veg letting my mind be completely void of all work related things, I rarely talked about work at home for that reason.

The most enjoyable part of the job was all the training. For me basic training was a breeze, it was as simple as keeping your mouth shut and doing what you were told no matter how badly your muscles burned or how little sleep you had gotten the night before. But throughout my time in the Air Force I received other training like how to drive a humvee, how to deploy a claymore, how to shoot a grenade launcher, how to respond to a gunshot wound in the field, how to cross miles of terrain with a paper map and compass, how to survive in the wilderness, evade capture, resist interrogation and torture, and escape captivity. I learned so much more and it was all a blast, I would very much like to do all of this training over again it was all some of the most fun I have ever had in my life and wouldn't trade it for the world. – less
Security Forces on a good day
Security Forces (Current Employee), Lompoc, CAAugust 6, 2013
Pros: got paid every 1st and 15th, received a lot of fun and useful training for free
Cons: deployed time away from the family, terrible people in charge that cannot be avoided or removed, on stand by for recalls 24/7 365 days a year, my first couple years we had recalls every couple weeks making a 16 hour day into a 20 hour day, poor compensation compared to amount of work and effort required
In the years that I have been at Vandenberg AFB, CA i have worked 12 hour shifts, 8 hour shifts, days, swing and mids. Most recently before my deployment I was in 8 hour shifts on swings. I will give you a brief run down of a typical work day for me on swing shift as a patrolman (with being BDOC/dispatcher certified I am not always a law enforcement patrolman for that shift).
So, I wake up with my wife and son anywhere from 0700-0900, depending on when he decides we need to be up. Spend some family time eating breakfast and getting ready for the gym. I head to the gym sometime around 1000-1100 for either personal physical training (PT) or organized PT with my flight members, which was usually lead by myself. PT sessions would last about an hour to an hour and a half, then it was home for a shower and start getting ready for work. I would arrive at work at 1245 to arm up, attend guardmount at 1320, and conduct changeover with days patrolman sometime before 1400. Once my gear and everything is situated in the patrol car I start patrolling. I conduct traffic stops on both civilian and military personnel, on and off base, due to violations of California Vehicle Codes as well as base policies. We also enforce regulations and standards on all military personnel. I continue remaining vigilant throughout my shift waiting for the dispatcher to send me to any variety of incidents. I have handled, as an on scene commander at times, high risk traffic stops (similar to a felony stop), building alarms, a possible improvised explosive device in a unit commanders building, wild fires, fire – more... alarms, major and minor vehicle accidents, trespassers on base, shop liftings and medical emergencies. Whenever I can I try to fit a meal in at work, sometimes there is no time. I also like to make face time with the subordinates that I directly supervise and conduct training with them. Towards the end of shift I was my vehicle and finish up any paperwork that I may have needed to do. Mid shift usually arrives for our relief around 2200. I head to the armory, followed by the locker room and proceed home. I usually arrive home to a sleeping family where one of my dogs may welcome me around 2230-0001. I would then eat any dinner my wife left for me to reheat and watch a sporting event that I probably recorded that day before heading to bed. That is a typical, no coming in early or staying late, no errands to run with the family, day of work.

Aside from all my tactical training in law enforcement and air base defense, I have learned how to lead from the front, how to be an effective communicator, and how to supervise. A few of the tougher lessons I have learned would be: what kind of leader/supervisor I do not want to become, how little family time my career field left me with and how immature each generation has become. With all my trials and tribulations I have try to make sure I take something away and use it to better myself. There is no point in not continuing to grow and develop as a person. – less
Job Description
Safety Specialist (Current Employee), Langley AFBOctober 22, 2014
Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Plans, organizes, and directs safety activities. Develops policies and procedures for implementing and evaluating
safety programs. Coordinates with staff activities and operational sections to ensure safety requirements are integrated
into the organization program. Maintains close liaison with federal, state, municipal, and private agencies sharing
common safety concerns. Establishes work priorities and maintains systems to effect accomplishment of program
processes. Arranges for group meetings or individual instruction through coordination with commanders and
2.Conducts and assists in managing safety programs. Evaluates safety program effectiveness. Coordinates with
agencies and staff activities on safety related matters. Prepares and conducts briefings, meetings, training classes, and associated functions. Determines safety education requirements for groups or individuals. Develops training plans to
ensure worker qualification and training. Prepares and conducts training programs for collateral duty safety personnel.
3. Performs inspections, surveys, and program evaluations of areas and operations to identify mishap potentials and
assess integration of risk management approach, safety equipment, and procedures. Performs periodic and special
inspections of facilities, flightlines, maintenance, and industrial areas; missile launch complexes and support functions;
munitions facilities and operations; and non-industrial and recreational areas. Reports findings, assigns risk assessment
codes, recommends corrective actions, and conducts – more... follow-up inspections. Participates in Hazardous Communication,
Environmental Compliance Assessment Management Program, and other environmental programs. Reviews explosives
quantity distance waivers and deviations, and processes hazardous air traffic rep
4. Reviews purchase, service, and construction contracts. Prepares safety criteria. Reviews contract proposals,
statements of work, local purchase orders, and work requests for inclusion of safety criteria. Participates in workload
planning and preconstruction conferences, pre and post award meetings, and pre and final inspections.
5. Reviews engineering plans and drawings. Reviews base master plans and site plans affecting construction, airfield,
and explosive safety criteria. Recommends revision in drawing or rearranging materials.
6. Performs and assists in mishap investigations, prepares reports, and maintains records. Gathers factual mishap
data, identifies causes, and recommends corrective actions to prevent recurrence of a similar mishap. Maintains a
7. Analyzes mishap data. Performs trend analysis and recommends measures to correct unfavorable conditions or
8. Provides safety consultation to commanders, supervisors, and functional managers on technical directives, safety
criteria, and operational techniques.
9. Conducts safety education. Performs or assists in planning and scheduling safety education programs. Prepares or
assists in preparing and distributing safety promotional and informative materials. – less
A secure job with not-so-secure job descriptions
Client Systems Technician (3D1X1) (Current Employee), Dyess AFB, TXNovember 9, 2015
Pros: healthcare, tuition assistance, GI BIll, secure job, safe work environment, steady promotions
Cons: stressful deployments, undermanned shops, budget cuts
As a disclaimer, I'd like to say that I joined the Air Force with the mindset that I was going to use it as a stepping stone job for better opportunities in the corporate world. I joined for 4 years which is the minimum contract period. Some people join expecting to be in for 20+ years, but I knew exactly what I wanted from the Air Force: a steady job, tuition assistance for college, and job experience/certifications. I got all 3 of those things.

The biggest thing about joining the Air force and making it up the ranks (or surviving your enlistment if you hate it from the start) is managing your expectations. If you expect to be doing the sci-fi stuff they show in the TV ads and be paid competitively to what you would make in the civilian world, you're sadly mistaken. The Air Force is more like a company than a military service, and thus, it looks for people who can do one job well as well as any other secondary job they may need you to do. The Air Force differs from the other services in that way and also because most jobs could be done by anyone without military training. There are very few jobs that would require military training of any kind. That being said, you're basically cheap labor for them so they don't have to hire contractors to do your job.

You have to go in knowing what to expect and what you want from the Air Force. If you don't know what you want, you will get used in any way your leadership wants to use you. For example, I know I want certifications, school (use the $4,500 in TA you get yearly while you're in!!), and a breadth of job experience, so I – more... started school as soon as possible, started studying for certifications, and was constantly applying for new assignments and looking for ways to enhance my job knowledge. On the other hand, I've seen guys that come in with no plan and they're just doing their jobs to the minimum extent, don't do school, and then they wake up one day and its time to choose whether to stay in or get out and find a better job. Ultimately, they have to re-enlist because they didn't plan ahead from the beginning. I'm not saying it's bad to re-enlist, I've had a lot of great leaders and supervisors that have been in for many years, but again, make sure you know what you want from the start.

The Air Force is a very secure job. It's not a company, so it's not just going to shut down overnight, and plus, it's really hard to get kicked out. A lot of people just want a secure job with steady promotions every couple of years, and that's great! The Air Force is perfect for that especially considering you can retire after only 20 years! That means you could come in at 18 years old and be chilling on a beach in Florida by age 38.

In any case, make sure you know what you want with your life. If you want to be a nurse or computer technician, make sure your recruiter doesn't talk you into becoming an aircraft maintainer. In the end, the Air force is going to take care of you, but it's up to you to make the most of your career, no matter how long you stay in. – less
Not so light decision, know before you go.
Journeyman Aircraft Metals Technology (Former Employee), Dyess AFB, TexasNovember 4, 2014
Pros: advancement, set hours, vacation, work in different parts of country/world, volunteer opportunities, relief efforts, community support, college credit/paid training, job retraining
Cons: supervisors, work weekends, mandatory work, exercises/drills, unlawful orders, harsher punishments for crimes/work related problems, uniform code of military justice
Basic training is going to suck, but its nothing anybody can't handle. It's a mind game to ensure you can take the stress of whats to come and keep a clear head and ensure you can do the job right. As a machinist/welder, they will give you the basics thought mind numbing videos along with a hands on demonstration and skills assessment. It is best to research what you want to do and study the ASVAB before deciding what you want to do. Go to visit at least four different places and know what skills you will need to do the job. If you don't like it or what they say about the job, look for another. There are penalties for not being able to finish the training and possible jail time if believe to be not performing the way they think you could. Research and know the basic knowledge of the job before hand. It will be very handy when you go through training.
The Air Force along with other services are transitioning to a carrier based military. They have more focus on retention and even use information based data and people testimonies to keep retention high. Do what is best for yourself, not what is best for the military when it comes to staying.
Typical day checking equipment and verification of tools put back, cleaned shop check, equipment serviced, repairs to building/equipment being done, notes for the day/week, plane repair status, 15 pounds of stuck stainless steel screws pulled out, repairing problems that people cause by not following written instructions, work load is normal for machine shop, 30% manufacturing equipment, 10% welding parts/ aircraft engines, 20% keeping co-workers – more... on task, 10 working on local manufacturing, 5% getting training or training someone else, 25% paperwork or customer service. Everyone has additional duties as part of their job, try and find the least objectible or one that allows for additional work opportunities outside of service. Exercising has become part of the normal job and it is required you do it on your own time. It was required two hours three times a week at my base last, things could have changed. Be well informed before taking any bonuses and before you join. Look up recently retired or separated military personal at unemployment office for most up to date information and help on deciding which service is best for you. Still any doubts, join the reservers for a taste of things to come without being fully committed. Just a warning !!! reservers are first to fight in any conflicts or efforts of national security, american interest, etc.

Good luck – less
Recruiter (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: helping start people careers
Cons: n/a
Conducts recruiting program. Develops information sources such as employment agencies, driver's license and job market lists, high school and college student lists, and separation reports, in securing names of potential prospects for active duty enlistment, commissioning, and the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. Makes oral and film presentations to high school and college classes to establish contact with prospects. Maintains informational records to enable follow-up contacts with prospective enlistees. Prepares enlistment and commissioning case files on personnel enlisting or applying for a commission in the United States Air Force. Informs interested persons of military obligations, officer and airman career structure, educational and training opportunities, and other military benefits and entitlements.

Develops publicity program. Plans and directs sales promotional projects using media such as direct mail, press, radio, and television presentations. Writes copy and edits simple news stories and photograph captions. Presents Air Force orientations to civic, social, educational, and student organizations. Distributes advertising and publicity materials to places frequented by persons of military age. Mails literature to persons of military age to stimulate interest in the Air Force.

Develops community relations programs. Assists and participates in special events such as state and municipal ceremonies, exhibits, fairs, parades, centennials, and sporting events. Plans for and accompanies groups on tours of military installations. Participates in community activities – more... such as fund raising drives, blood donor drives, and patriotic holidays. Establishes and maintains contact with high school, college, business, and industry officials to enhance the prestige of the Air Force in the community.

Performs Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) liaison and production management duties. Ensures proper coordination between the Air Force and MEPS commander and proper scheduling of Air Force applicants to the MEPS is accomplished. Assists in obtaining the initial classification for Air Force applicants. Coordinates on recruiting operational matters and interprets recruiting directives for assigned units.

Supervises recruiting activities. Develops and maintains market data, and allocates recruiting goals. Collects and monitors production reports of recruiting activities. Implements plans and procedures to record production flow and reporting. Ensures proper distribution and use of advertising and publicity materials. Manages and controls lead resources. Provides management assistance in support of all recruiting programs. Assists in policy development and ensures timely implementation. – less
Review of My Time in the Air Force
Base Equipment Control Office, (NCOIC) (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, CONovember 11, 2014
A typical day at work has varied greatly during my time in the Air Force, primarily due to the many positions that I've held over the past 5 1/2 years. During my time in the Tech Control Facility, I worked a "Panama Shift" of two days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off (12 hour shifts), sometimes working days and sometimes working nights. During this time, I worked as a technician and a supervisor. A typical day consisted of ensuring daily cryptographic updates were done to keep circuits up and running as well as troubleshooting circuits that were down or degraded. Troubleshooting a circuit was by far the most enjoyable part of the job, as I would be able to put my skills to use in dissecting the problem. Management during this time was a challenge, but also enjoyable. The part I enjoyed most was working with the younger Airmen and helping them understand circuit flow and that adopting the quality of "persistence" will take them far in troubleshooting a circuit and in the Air Force career in general.

As a Circuit Actions technician, I worked on the "installation" part of a circuit's life instead of the "maintaining" part as in Tech Control. Installing circuits did not really seem like work at all. It was by far the most fun I've had during my Air Force career; from the people I worked with to the job itself, it was great. Fabricating all sorts of cables (RJ-45, fiber, Coax, etc.), creating circuit drawings (circuit layout records, CLRs), and creating reports of circuit up time were part of the daily/weekly duties.

As the Training Manger for the section, I assisted in training – more... the new Airmen, but primarily, I was in charge of updating/maintaining 3 training databases for 50+ service members.

During my time at the Base Equipment Control Office, I was a supervisor for the first 2 months or so, then transitioned to my current position as the NCOIC of the shop which is pretty much the manager. We are essentially a warehouse for the entire base for all information technology (IT) equipment, i.e. computers, printers, laptops and monitors. I have never been busier than I am now, but we are making a lot of progressive strides in quality and efficiency, which I am proud of. My co-workers now, and in times past, have all been great. Different personalities, likes, dislikes...all were (and are) inconsequential in our ability to get along, have a good working relationship and completing the mission.

My time in the Air Force taught me a lot about myself and other people. I believe it has helped bring the best out of myself. I realize that I really enjoy going to work where there is a real mission; I get to be a part of something much bigger than myself. Aiding in defense of this nation, even if I wasn't on the front lines, is something that I'll cherish forever and hope to continue to do in some capacity for the rest of my working career. – less
A career in the USAF is an incredible life adventure to discover your true potential!
DEPUTY BRANCH CHIEF (Former Employee), FL, Iceland, UK, MT, AL, Middle East, OH, & TXDecember 9, 2014
Pros: heathcare, comraderie, promotion opportunities, college tuition, financial compensation, 30 days vacation/year, travel, challenge, and excitement
Cons: occasional time away from family, operations tempo can be "high" depending on job. society's perception of the military.
A day at work in the USAF varies significantly with the career you have the opportunity to pursue. Depending on the job, job tempo also fluctuates, especially when deployed overseas and/or during conflict. If you don't learn to serve more than yourself, you will have a hard time assimilating to the USAF core values: Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in Everything! The USAF recently has also adopted the core value: Respect for Human Dignity which translates into a "zero tolerance" for inappropriate discrimination in our military.

Serving my country in the USAF as afforded me the opportunity to serve with so many different personalities, races, and cultures other than my own. I have had the honor of working with so many different people. This variance in my life as allowed me to reflect on how I can better myself by improving on my self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and reducing ethnocentric ideologies. This all leads to professional improvement and the ability to lead and manage people effectively and efficiently.

From a management perspective, I always lean toward a style of leadership that inspires and motivates, cares about others, sets the example, and encourages creativity and innovation. Sure, leaders need to use leverage sometimes to get the job completed (e.g., contingent reward, carrot & stick, etc.), but I believe it is having a balanced approach to leadership that allows you and others to grow.

This balance approach to leadership is especially helpful when working with peers. It is important to be considerate of others and not over bearing; – more... especially when working in peer groups such as process action teams, think tanks, etc.

The hardest part of the USAF are the long hours when preparing to go to war or participate in global conflicts and/or humanitarian aid efforts. When you are serving your country, you are on the job twenty-four/seven! Being away from your loved ones can also be hard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the results of your hard work and the positive impact it has on people and the world in general. For example, teaching young Iraqi cadets to become officers of character during Operation Iraqi Freedom, delivering aid for a humanitarian effort like Provide Comfort in Kuwait, or relief efforts in Haiti or Louisiana after the hurricanes...just doing things you wouldn't imagine in the corporate world! Overall, the USAF experience for most who make it a career is an outstanding opportunity! – less
Great Place to work.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Andrews AFB, MDJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: freedom to make my own choices to get the job done. met many famous people.
Cons: no breaks, random call ins long hours with same pay....no overtime pay.
My typical day consisted of waking up at 5 am to report for duty at 6 am at the Transportation shop. I would pick a new assignment or if I was still working on one I would grab one of the many different keys from the key rack and take a vehicle and meet my workers at the gate near the work site. I would make sure all vehicles were inspected and had all the materials needed for the workers to complete their job so they can perform their jobs to the level of satisfaction that the Air Force expects. Also I would inspect all vehicles to see if it was safe to pass through the gate and into the secure area where the workers performed their tasks. Also I would coordinate with the Air Traffic control tower via with a hand held radio to see when and where my workers could do there job without getting in the way of incoming aircraft. The secure area was the Base Airfield. Also I coordinated the incoming cargo from various aircraft into the correct taxiways so that the supplies reached the correct building. I have provided security and private transportation personally for all V.I.P's coming to the base including President Barrack Hussein Obama, Michelle Obama, Condoleeza Rice, Hilary Clinton, Bill Clinton, etc etc....My work day was typically 10-12 hrs...which I had no problem with. I loved working out on the Air Field and contributing to the grand mission of the Air Force.This job taught me how to handle multiple problems at once while keeping a focused and clear mind. I also learned how to accept responsibilities with zero complaints. I welcome responsibility.Everyday had new problems – more... and I was constantly challenged to find the answers to them. This made my work very exciting and invigorating. I enjoyed nothing more than knowing I did important work to the best of my ability. I also briefed various Army, Air Force and Navy Commanders on important V.I.P's coming to the base and helped coordinate the transportation for the proper accommodations for the VIP's. Also I worked my way up to have my own desk and new responsibilities. I had to coordinate exactly when and where throughout the month where my construction crews can work while aircraft operations were occurring. I logged flight arrivals and departures keeping track of what kind of plane landed at Andrews AFB,what they were carrying, who was working on the aircraft what time they landed and logged when the aircraft left with what items at what time.I assigned airman to supervise certain limited areas of the Hangers and Airfield to make sure civilians did not wander into areas they were not allowed in and made sure my airman kept the civilians working and under control. – less
Exellent way to serve your country
Client Support Administrator (Former Employee), IDNovember 6, 2014
Pros: exellent benefits
Performs Information Management functions. Manages electronic and manual publications, information management tools and forms development, design, control, storage, and dissemination. Acquires and distributes publications, information management tools and forms using manual or electronic means. Provides guidance to ensure publications and forms meet prescribed style, format, and legal and statutory requirements. Conducts information analyses to determine proper flow and life cycle management of information, regardless of medium. Creates manual and electronics file plans. Applies file cutoff procedures and disposes of and retrieves records. Operates and manages automated records information management system. Operates and manages a records staging area for inactive records storage. Complies with Privacy Act (PA) and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) procedures and provides assistance to ensure others comply. Provides PA, FOIA, and records management and portal training. Operates the Base Information Transfer System and Official Mail Center using manual and automated systems. Manages hardware and software. Performs configuration, management, and initial diagnostics of information systems. Coordinates and documents information systems repairs. Runs system diagnostics and determines cause of hardware and software failures. Removes and replaces components and peripherals to restore system operation. Installs and configures software operating systems and applications. Provides customer service to assist in operation, restoration, and configuration of information systems. Monitors – more... and manages information system security programs. Reports security incidents and formulates and applies corrective security procedures. Assists clients with a range of information tasks including records management; electronic communications; information flow, including processing, controlling, and distributing mail; publishing management. Operates information systems to create, collect, use, access, disseminate, maintain, and dispose of information. Helps client determine life cycle management of their information. Develops and implements web sites and pages. Manages and assists others in content management of web sites and pages. Prepares and processes information systems requirements to support mission needs.

Management was supportive and assisted in enhancing our experience based on our strengths and weaknesses.

Co-workers worked together; if needed we adjusted to increased in work load with few employees.

The hardest part of the job was having 2,000 customers with only 5 technicians.

Most enjoyable part of the job was our leadership. – less
Excellent friends, long days
Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Holloman AFB, NMJune 5, 2015
Pros: Strong bonds with coworkers, simple and clearly defined promotions, ability to travel and see more of the world, 30 days paid vacation per year
Cons: No lunch break, no overtime, long hours, constant shift changes that affect sleep patterns, responsible for mistakes made by anyone and everyone (squadron recalls), high stress and tiring job. Unpredictable to plan for the future due to TDYs and deployments.
The USAF is an excellent place to work. It depends on your specific AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) which is your job. If you work on the flightline, be prepared for long hours in the freezing cold and burning heat. Your coworkers will become your lifelong friends as you overcome obstacles together. The number of exercises, inspections, paperwork, appointments, additional duties, and all things military related you are required to do feel as if you're doing far more than your original job description but it builds character and a high professional tolerance. Many times you'll be working with tools and directions that aren't ideal for the job, but you'll find a way to accomplish the task at hand. Sometimes management can forget that people aren't robots and that following proper procedures are time consuming but necessary. A typical day on the flightline as an avionics technician would begin with a roll call and shift turnover. You see what needs to be done on certain aircraft and the expeditor assigns you to a job or jobs. Simple jobs can become quite complex due to several variables of finding proper documentation, coordinating with other maintainers that may or may not affect the work you are going to perform, working around others' lunch hours (which you don't get), etc. You usually work at least nine hours without a break but sometimes you'll need to work twelve hours in order to ensure that sorties are produced and pilots satisfy their flight hours.
Some days it feels like an absolute disaster. Scheduled maintenance or perhaps something broke after a flight or maybe even – more... someone else didn't properly fix an aircraft. But you have a lot of coworkers to rely on. You do your absolute best, get yelled at quite a bit, but at the end of the day you leave everything at work (usually) and live for the weekends when you have enough energy to realize that life doesn't revolve around work. It can be both mind numbingly boring and frustrating at the same time. You don't have access to all knowledge about the aircraft and usually need to employ the help of Boeing or Lockheed Field Service Representatives for diagnostic help as they have access to equipment you do not.

In short, you'll grow up in a very short amount of time and learn what it means to be a true team player. – less
Productive workplace and several advancement opportunities
Law Office Superintendent (Former Employee), Vietnam, Thailand, Germany, England, GreeceAugust 19, 2012
Pros: excellent multicultural environment and knowledgeable personell
Cons: transfer and move every four years
Extensive professional training in legal, business management, security, and cybercrime. Demonstrated experience in the following areas: Management, Human Relations, Consulting, Security, Security Training, Investigative Procedures, Recuriting, Human Resources Development, Personnel Staffing,and evaluation. Professional Communications, Motivation, Equal Opportuity, Postal, Affirmative Action, and Correctional Case Manager. Directs the human resources staff to provide effective customer oriented human resources and benefits administration support to management and employees. Ensures compliance with applicable Federal and state regulatory requirements. Created-counseling service designed to measure and increase personnel performance. Directed the Equal Opportunity program for a military service. Prepared Affirmative Action Plans and assessments. Chaired working groups, identified problems and provide solutions or recommendations. Delivered seminars concerning equal opportunity, harassment and discrimination issues to groups ranging in size from 25 to 150 attendees. Performs the employee relations, recruiting, compensations, benefits and training functions. Establish operational strategies, policies, and programs to meet goals and objectives assigned to the human resources function. Personnel Management: Delegated responsibilities among supervisors, collaborating on daily production and priorities. Maintained a constant flow of operations. Designed office procedures, developed company policy on handling customer complaints. Supervised the establishment and maintenane of 1800 employee – more... personnel records, reducing error rates by 25% yearly. Developed and established workflow procedures for 70+ member staff. Lessons learned. Great establishment and organization for advancement, achieving education and degrees, excellent training opportunities communsurate with fulfilling an obligation and pride to the United States of America. Management personnel are professional and caring. Co-workers, worked together to ensured the mission was accomplished timely and accurate manner. Hardest part of job was having to focus on moving every four years unless involuntarily directed to remain from Higher headquaters. Most enjoyable part of job was acquiring educational benefits, travel, and the opportunity to retire, receive benefits that are available today, and pursue further education as warranted. . – less
Excellent Training Programs and enjoyable work environment
Security Forces Response Force Patrolman (Former Employee), Robins AFB, GAAugust 10, 2012
Pros: education benefits, paid leave, medical, 401k, insurance
Cons: limited posting, i felt there should be a rotation
A typical day at work would begin at 1600 and ended at 2400. I would perform the duties each day for the post that i was assigned. Posts were decided upon your rank, experience, and for any training that necessary. On a daily basis I would carry a 9MM and a M4 Carbine. On other days, for different posts, I would carry one of the following weapons: M249 Squad Automatic Assault rifle, M203 Grenaude Launcher, or the M240Bravo Small Machine Gun. The qualifications were kept annually on a 6 month basis. Duties were depending on the assigned post, but included and were not limited to: Patrol, foot and mobile; Protection of 1,2,3,and 4 resources; checking Identification for base entry; Performing random vehicle searches according to Air Force Regulations; Responding to any incident on the installation with in post boundaries. As a patrolman I would respond to Alarm activations, set up a perimitter, do a complete walk around, gain entry to the area/building, make contact with personnel inside, and conduct an interior walk through until given the all clear; I also would respond to vehicle accidents and emergencies on the installation, give first responder emergency care if needed, fill out paperwork and radio all required information to law enforcement desk; I would respond to shoplifting incidents, arrive, apprehend any suspects, handcuff/search, and transport the individual if needed, and collect evidence; as a patrolman I was also responsible for mobile patrols of the installation checking gates, fences, and boundaries. On a day to day basis my job was ever changing and I had to be – more... prepared for anything. For extra training our Flight(unit) would conduct exercises for real world situations. My co-workers were usually easy to get along with, and I can not recall a problem I had with anyone. The higher ranking officer woulod be in charge and i understand the ranking system and change of comand. The hardest part of my job would have to be the balance between work and family. We were usually under manned from deployments, which prevented taking leave( vacation time), so i did not get many chances to travel back to Tennessee from Georgia to see my family. I do however, understand the mission comes first. The most enjoyable part of my job was the weapons trainging and the training i got to be apart of before my deployment to Ali Al Salem, Kuwait in 2007. Clearing buildings, SIM round training and the knowledge I gained was exciting for me. I always wanted to be apart of it and out in the field. – less
Airman (big "A") (Former Employee), World wideJune 1, 2015
Pros: Camaraderie, job security, travel, medical
Cons: Deployments, 12-16 hour shifts, on-call 24/7
There are many career fields and day to day duties within the Air Force. I began my journey as an avionics technician. I cut trained into communications, hydraulics, electrical and general maintenance on multiple aircraft. My career expanded and grew to encompass supervision, shift supervisor, lead technician, expediter, production supervisor, superintendent, and first sergeant. Each new career path provided many opportunities to extend personal and professional growth. Along the way, I was served with many benefits to include medical coverage, vacation time, and education to name a few. Since there are many jobs in the Air Force, I cannot say that any one job is a typical 8-5 job. Some paths allow for more travel and others operate 24/7 on multiple shifts. I found promotion to be as political as any other institution. However, regardless of the institution, they each believe they have created the most fair system. I was given the opportunity to live in 8 locations while serving 24 years; three of them were overseas and they were outstanding. Co-workers very just like any other organization. You love some, like some, and some you just tolerate. I have noticed that each career field does embody it own personality. The Air Force is the least military of all of the branches. Yes, there are customs and courtesies such as saluting BUT, the average Airman wouldn't know what to do if confronted by a warrant officer. In my opinion, less mature members of the Air Force push regulation (instruction) guidelines to the limits more often then other branches (less discipline). – more... That is not to say that ALL Airmen are cut from the same cloth. There are some great leaders and outstanding professionals that have made fabulous strides to improve the Air Force, subordinates and working environment. I have had the great pleasure of working with members that were and are very selfless. Every fiber of their being drives them to better the unit, community and people. I cherish these heroes. Management is...different. Direct daily management is typical. However, as a government run body, one is directly impacted by the acts, or lack thereof, of the president and congress. The military is consistently under fire for cutbacks. What is rarely recognized by career politicians is that the slightest tweak in benefits is often a cut in pay. For example, the governing bodies today want to have the base commissaries to be profitable and be able to stand "on their own". What that translates to is higher prices or store closings. Ultimately this results in a pay cut for the military member. – less
Headquarters Air Force Recruiting Service