U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,970 reviews matching the search
Proficient Workplace with helpful and friendly coworkers
Lead Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Hanscom AFB, MAJune 30, 2016
Created financial reports and supported all areas of responsibility within a 5 person finance team, Managed a $400,000 budget, Analyzed, examined, and interpreted account records, compiled financial information, and reconciled reports and financial data, Performed process analysis, and communicated recommendations to management, Process journal entries and perform accounting corrections to ensure accurate records
Pros
Friendly faces, good moral, staff lunches
Learning experience
Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Seymour-Johnson AFB, NCJuly 6, 2016
Duty day began at 0700, usually consisted with training, buildup for missions and exercising.
I learned that looking back, things were not as bad as they seemed
Management for the most part was awesome, they took care of you. AMMO is a different breed, we work hard and we play hard.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with last minute changes, which usually came down on a Friday afternoon at 15:45...
Most enjoyable part of the job was we played just as hard as we worked.
Pros
Without AMMO, Fighters and Bombers don't have a purpose.
Cons
Looking back, I wish I would have embraced this career a little more
Productive and safe place to work,.
Aircraft Mehchanic (Current Employee) –  Pope AFB, NCJuly 5, 2016
Everyday there is something new so no day is like the next.
Taught me about aircraft maintenance and accountability ,
Management for the majority of the time is your bet friend.
Co-workers have strong work ethic and similar lifestyles to yours.
Hardest part of the day is the research and trouble shooting associated with the job.
Seeing all of your hard work pay off is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
Vacations, travel, and honor
Cons
time tables, and awkward jobs
Being part of the Key Management Division at Lackland Air Force Base has been a rewarding experience.
KMI Last Mile Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lackland AFB, TXJune 24, 2016
A typical day at work consists of 2-3 meetings, and interfaces with personnel from various disciplines.
I've much about Systems Engineering, and the AF Acquisition process.
Management is very patient, understanding, and appreciative of the product(s) we provide.
Co-workers are helpful and respectful. Everyone is willing to go the extra 'mile' to get the job accomplished.
The hardest part of the job is getting the requisite documentation through the system.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a product out the door that you know will benefit the warfighter.
Exciting and interesting occupation, at times a real adrenaline rush
Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 23, 2016
Most personally rewarding part of my working career, I love working on something with critical tolerances and awesome power. There is nothing quit like working in an environment were nearly everything you do is important and others are relying on you know your job.
Then there is the added experience of being near a jet when the engines are powered up, it rolls down the runway, then lifts up into the sky.
Pros
travel, knowledge, responsibility
Cons
wage freeze
Outstanding, wonderful, best place ever. I strongly recommend this career path to any young person.
US Air Force Security Force Member (Former Employee) –  Around the WorldJune 29, 2016
The Air Force was one of the best services to be a part of. The medical benefits were outstanding, pay was poor, job was dangerous but very rewarding. It is people oriented and family concerned.
Pros
Medical Benefits and retirement
Cons
Long hours, often gone from home for months, deployments to less that desirable locations, and continuous permanent change of stations.
Great place to be
Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory(PMEL) (Former Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAJune 23, 2016
I learned so many things in the Air Force. You will become a better and more productive individual when you go back to civilian life. Schools are great and prepare you very well to do your job and this goes along with on-the-job training. Benefits are great but you have to make sure you know how to use them so you don't waste them. Over all I think it is a great place to be.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Camaraderie, Schools and Opportunities
Cons
Management, a lot of non-sense rules, benefits are fewer and fewer as the time goes by
Great career
Squadron Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILJuly 5, 2016
A typical day is from 0730-1900. Managed approximately 187 personnel consisting of military, civilian and contractors. Dealt with personal and professional issues as well as daily production of the medical facility. I also managed a 30-50 million dollar medical supply account. I overseen the daily ordering, receiving, and delivery of all necessary supplies to run the hospital. Also accomplished inventory control and quality assurance inspections.
Pros
job security
Cons
deployments
United States Air Force
Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  Wright-Patterson AFB, OHJune 21, 2016
Excellent place to work. Excellent benefits. A typical day begins at 06:00 - 14:30 with a 30 min lunch. I learned how to lead people and work as a team to accomplish the mission. I was trained in computer software and security. I was selected for numerous advanced schools in the Air Force. The Air Force is committed to providing the best educational opportunities for all its members.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other highly skilled and educated professionals.
Air Force
Program Manager / Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJune 22, 2016
The Air Force is an excellent job for any personnel who wants to get a broad breath of experience and technical knowledge. While there are issues, like with any job, the pros out weight the cons.

The level of responsibility a person can acquire is unmatched and the benefits are amazing.

The hardest part of the job is the Air Force owns you and your time. While the Air Force is very good about giving you time off and working with your preferences; at the end of the day you go when and where the Air Force needs you.

Overall great experience.
Pros
Great medical, pay, 30 days time off a year, unique experiences, responsibility
Cons
Freedom of choices
Outstanding Opportunity
INSPECTION TEAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  OverseasJune 26, 2016
I'm a decorated United States Air Force Law Enforcement Professional with over 22 years of experience. What I will miss most about begin in the military, are the numerous of job opportunities that was awarded me and the many of friends (my brothers and sisters) I have meet along this wonderful journey. Also, who would of thought my love for dogs growing up would have transferred over to 14 plus years working with dogs in the military. The hardest part of this job, was the separation from family.
Good place to learn leadership skills
Industrial Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 23, 2016
Working the the USAF will give you many opportunities to advance in both your career and your skills. They provided leadership and communication classes which will help you learn to eventually lead teams. Healthcare benefits are probably the best you can get and you rarely ever have to worry about getting billed for anything.
Pros
Healthcare, Advancement
Cons
Physical fitness test hold more weight than work performance or skills
Airman for 7 years
network and systems administrator (Former Employee) –  Japan, ArizonaJuly 12, 2016
Joined the USAF in 2006, during the height of the insurgencies. Was very happy and proud to serve during this time. The USAF was awesome, I was stationed on Okinawa, Arizona and Qatar. They worked you had, and you had to stay physically fit, but altogether this is an awesome career for people coming from poor or rural backgrounds, like me. It really motivates you to do your best, and watching jets and planes take off daily is a perk!
Pros
Equal pay for all, uniforms, food, travel, etc.
Cons
Deployment to Iraq/Afghanistan, totally controlling your life.
Completely unbalanced and full of favoritism
Cyber Systems Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Mary Esther, FLJuly 13, 2016
I have learned more than I ever thought I would learn in my career field, But that is all I can say about the Military. I have had by far the worst time of my life dealing with an organization that is full of the "good old boys" mentality, people getting rewarded for something they didn't do just because someone likes them. leadership that has no concern for their subordinates, people willing to get out or move somewhere or anywhere else to get out of the situation they are in. It has really been a unique experience.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Rediculous hours, inconsistent decisions
My Individual summary
Signal Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 13, 2016
My experiences in the military will be vastly different from everyone else. Every command and co worker is different. My experience was quite awful. The Air Force as a whole is a great entity. The experience is priceless. The benefits were second to none. However, to assume that the different squadrons and commands function with any type of similarity or unity is silly. Politics within the individual units is what runs "little" Air Force. Its a game of favorites and that's what it always will be.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
Politics
Friendly Work Environment
Materiel Management Apprentice/Logistics (Current Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAJuly 14, 2016
Serving in the military is good experience. You meet a lot of people from different cultures and you get to travel around the world. Leadership can be strict sometimes but you learn to accept challenges and progress in your career field. Co-Workers are awesome and very supportive. I've learned a lot in the military such as discipline and professionalism. I have enjoyed my time in the military and will continue to follow the core values.
Great place to work.
Information Security Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Barksdale AFB, LAJuly 18, 2016
A typical day for me was challenging which was good and I always learned something new daily. I got a chance to manage 10 to 15 people at a time during my time and I can truly say that my co-workers respected my supervision style. The hardest part of the job was going through emails each morning to take care of different jobs, deadlines and task. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with my co-workers daily and accomplishing those task, different jobs and deadlines.
Pros
Co-workers and customer service.
Cons
Sometimes not enough people to take care of problems in a reasonable time.
this is a review
Staff Sergeant / Aerospace Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  earthJuly 21, 2016
Pros
The work environment is generally positive and there's an atmosphere of care and commitment to promoting good outcomes for patients.
NSMC's outlook moving forward appears quite stable as a member of Partners Healthcare.
Cons
NSMC sites and department locations are disperse and this can result in feeling fragmented.
Advice to Management
Consultation and collaboration between direct service providers and senior management fosters a more positive work culture and should be expanded.
Life changing experience with many opportunities.
Senior Airman (Former Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTJune 15, 2016
Plenty to do, very high tempo job. Electrically and mechanically involved. Training plans and management of said plans for all your subordinates are a must. Teamwork is very important in a field like this and it can be fun too. The hardest part is going overseas and being away from your family. The most enjoyable part is definitely getting the equipment back up and running after a long job.
Pros
Many new experiences, benefits, opportunities.
Great way to start a career
Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJune 15, 2016
Learned valuable job skills while visiting different parts of the world and experiencing various cultures. Typical day may vary depending on career field. A typical day in my career field included coming in at 0730, checking email, going out and performing jobs. Hour lunch breaks and get off at 1630. May have to work late or on weekends without overtime but those days are usually compensated with days off during the week.
Pros
Benefits, job experience, great work environment
Cons
No overtime, away from family at times

4.6