U.S. Air Force
7,285 reviews

U.S. Air Force United States Employee Reviews

Exciting and rewarding career
Fuel Distribution Manager (Former Employee), variousMay 3, 2015
Pros: Working as a team to achieve succes
Ensure inventory levels and staffing are sufficient to support daily operations.The ability to work as a team is critical for success as a unit.The most difficult task in building a strong team often lies with managing various personalities.
Demanding, even-paced work center. Various amount of skills needed.
Radio Frequency Transmission Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 3, 2015
Work starts off with checking for trouble shooting tickets units have filled out and sent to our focal point to relay to our shop. We go over what needs to be done for the day regarding Land Mobile Radio troubleshooting and programming, Maintenance on our various systems (LMR Trunking System, Presidential communication system, or meteorology/ weather ingest system). I enjoy most doing antenna installations and find nothing exceptionally hard but easiest the LMR programming.
Enjoyable but hard word
Communications Officer (Former Employee), UK, Omaha, NE, Korea, and ArlingtonMay 3, 2015
The military was a very nice transition from leaving home and being on my own. Great travel opportunities and excellent training in supervisory and management skills.
It's Military
Airborne Battle Management Specialist (Former Employee), Warner Robins, GAMay 3, 2015
Pros: People, Experiences
Cons: Deployments, Bad leaders, Abuse, PTSD
Exactly what one may expect in a branch of the military. Some good leaders, some bad ones. Some good times, some tough ones. Deployments. Temporary assignments. Abuse, suffering, mental testing etc.

Best part is are the experiences one may get to be a part of, but ultimately everyone will make connections with other humans more than any other "job" or lifestyle.
Great Time
Security Forces Journeyman (Former Employee), Dayton, OhioMay 3, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Pay, Flexible Work Hours
Benefits are amazing, healthcare taken care of, children are well taken care of as well. Everyone should serve atleast two years. Instills discipline and teaching you things that the normal civilian world wont ever touch.
Chapel Management
Chapel Manger (Former Employee), Barksdale AFB, LAMay 2, 2015
Pros: Serving my country
Cons: Not being able to pick out a location to service
Worked in bookkeeping. Purchase order's/minutes for review/worked closely with Chaplains.
Worked weekends and helped during Chapel Services, Set up for service/baptisms/Weddings
I enjoyed my job in the Air Force. Met and worked with some dedicated individuals.
I loved my job greatly and learned so much about different religious.
Assistant Maintenance Manager
Assistant Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Moody Air Force Base, GAMay 2, 2015
Pros: Sense of belonging to a family, pay, benefits & comradery
Cons: Occasional long hours, having to leave family
A typical day in the Air Force as an Assistant Flight Chief consisted of a 10 hour work day, many times longer, as the main Flight Chiefs right hand man and second in charge. Managing all aspects of a flight of 135 personnel and managing Calendar and Hourly Inspections on three different aircraft could prove to be difficult at times.

Over the years I have learned what it takes to manage multi-million dollar aircraft maintenance and manage personnel that work on these aircraft.

Working with co-workers is not hard at all. We all have the same end goal in mind and that is to produce exceptional aircraft maintainers and to provide the most error free, quality maintenance that can be provided.

One of the more enjoyable parts of the job is working with people of all cultures and from all different parts of the United States.
My Story
Information Technology Specialist (Infosec) (Current Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDMay 2, 2015
Being in the Air Force has open so many doors and I have received so many opportunities and I have learned so many jobs. This is the best job ever.
Got paid to do a fulfilling job and to travel the world. No Complaints
Aircraft Weight & Balance Engineer (Former Employee), JBLM-McChord Field, WAMay 1, 2015
Being a Loadmaster is the greatest job to be had in the military. The travel alone being the biggest factor but the added benefits make this a lucrative job for anyone who can get the job.
You get what you put into it
Aircraft Crew Chief (Current Employee), McChord AFB, WAMay 1, 2015
Great organization to be a part of. Benefits are excellent, great work and personal life balance. Job security is a big plus.
Job advancement, new technology
Communications Integration Manager (Former Employee), Robins AFB, GAMay 1, 2015
Pros: Enjoyable jobs
Cons: long hours and numerous deployments
I was able to work at everything from weather observations to communications engineering. Interfacing with all branches of the DOD and commercial contractors. I was able to interface and design equipment from the military to commercial vendors.
Great place to work! They have an ice cream machine!
Airman Basic (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEMay 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, monthly paycheck, cheap life insurance, military benefits
Cons: Waking up really early
I am in what is called "Student Flight." Student Flight is everyone who is enlisted in the Air Force, but haven't gone to basic training yet. We get instructed on military code, etiquette, rules, training, benefits, and much, much more. The hardest part of the job is staying awake. There is a lot of information and Powerpoint slides coming in all at once, so it is tempting to just fall asleep. The most enjoyable part of this job is PT, which is military code for exercise and then there's lunch.
Incredible
MQ-9 Instructor Sensor Operator (Current Employee), Alamogordo, NMApril 30, 2015
This is truly a life-changing experience! The people, challenges, and career broadening activities makes it a very unique place to work.
Rewarding work environment
Vehicle Operator/Dispatcher E-5 (Former Employee), Several ocations around the worldApril 30, 2015
Pros: Travel, sense of accomplishment, training
Cons: Personal time
Great organization to work for. Like in any other branch of the military, work comes first. Working long hours and being on call 24/7 is the norm. Advancement is highly based on performance. While working in the Logistics squadron I received a great deal of training and opportunities for travel.
The type of work that is not for everybody
Security Forces (Current Employee), Minot, NDApril 30, 2015
I was first stationed in Minot, ND. At the time, it was a place lacking in cultural diversity and personality. I kept busy by going to a local Boxing gym ran by Richard Calavera and his son Jordan Calavera. This is where I was able to connect with like minded people. Working for the Air Force itself had its ups and downs. At the end of the day, I simply knew that my heart wasn't in the mission and I needed to step away from it and get out. I am now stationed at Channel Islands and work for the Air National Guard which has a stronger Job Culture than Minot, ND.
Great place to become well rounded within the ESOH world
Environmental Compliance Specialist (Current Employee), WPAFB, OhioApril 30, 2015
Pros: I love that I get to keep learning and my co-workers are excellent!
Cons: The unknown, The entire Air Force is changing its way of business involving contracts, I am not a former government employee therefore it is next to impossible to be insourced, My salary could change significantly (up or down) with the new contract holder, I just need some job security in a place that I know I can potientially retire from
I have had the opportunity to learn continually for the last three years. My knowledge of environmental, safety and occupational health standards has grown immensely. I work hand in hand daily with BIO,ENVIRONMENTAL, SAFTEY AND THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. I was able to continue my education through certifications that are applicable to OSHA requirements in many facets.
Outstanding Career
Resource / Financial Manager (Former Employee), Andrews AFB, MDApril 30, 2015
Pros: Career Oriented
Cons: Long shifts and extended hours on occasion
Directly supported and maintained Special Air Mission aircraft including “Air Force One” providing worldwide transportation to the President and Vice President of the United States and other high ranking American and foreign dignitaries through the following positions:
Resource/ Financial Advisor
Aerospace Flight and Ground Safety Manager
Aerospace Vehicle Fleet Manager

A rewarding career filled with opportunities to travel, receive a college education and specialized training.
Poorly managed and undermanned
Electronic Combat Officer/Assistant Flight CC (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 30, 2015
The U.S. Armed Forces really needs to get their ducks in a row and stop messing with its members. Promising them one thing then turning their backs on them when it doesn't work for them is a horrible way to run things.
Standard military life
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee), Universal City, TXApril 30, 2015
I enjoyed the security of military life. It was a great way to learn a skill that would match up in the civilian. Worked with people from all life styles and nations. The hardest part was going away on assignments and living family. The most enjoyable part was working on aircraft in all types of conditions.
Pretty amaxing career, it is the military what do you expect?
Airborne Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Robins AFB, GAApril 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits, pay, insurance, ext.
Cons: Being away from the family, some employees are shitbags, sometimes you get bad mangement
Depends on the job you do but as Aircrew it is a pretty relaxed job. I learned a great deal from the military and it helped me become a better person. Management can be either great or really douchbags depending on who is in your chain of command. Majority of coworkers are pretty get, but occasionally you get the lazy no good airmen, The hardest part of the job is being away from your family. The most enjoyable part of the job i knowing you are helping to protect the United States!

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more

U.S. Air Force Salaries