U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Administrator (Former Employee), Valdosta, GAAugust 31, 2015
Pros: long lunches, job stability, health benefits
Enjoyed working alongside my colleagues and meeting new people.
I learned how to multi task and manage personnel.
The hardest part of the job was having to move so frequently.
The most enjoyable part was getting to move and see new places that you probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.
The military is absolutely what you make of it. I happen to love it.
Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) (Current Employee), Fort Carson, COAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Daily variety, Challenging, exclusive, sense of brotherhood, Job Security, Travel
Cons: Time away from family (Roughly 250 days a year), Military promotion system may hinder career progression
It is an honor to serving in the United States Air Force. It's literally shown me the world, allow me to experience new cultures, and afforded me the opportunity to work with some extraordinary people. Our officers (management) enable us to work directly with sister services and allow us to be the subject matter experts when briefing the most efficient plan for airpower to mission commanders. As a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC), the USAF has instilled a tremendous amount of trust in my capability to be a force multiplier on the battlefield during the most stressful situations, and ensure the safety of our ground troops when calling in an air strike. I believe the ability to multi-task, without error, during these intense situations are what set JTAC's apart from much of the military. This job encompasses leadership, strategy, communication, and management skills which directly translate to the civilian workforce.
Advanced Technology and unmatched training
Senior Inspection Manager (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COAugust 31, 2015
I served the United States Air Force in varying capacities from 2002 until 2015 both on Active Duty and as Reservist. I enjoyed every moment of it and never have I met the perfect mix of extreme professionals and great friends.
Great deal of various warehouse operations. Essential skills obtained through experience.
Logistics/Supply technician (Former Employee), Charleston AFB, SCAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Job Security. Fast Paced Learning.
Cons: 24hr ops. Always on call in the military.
Job consisted of Stockroom Control, Materiel Management, and Distribution activities. Learned to implement basic supply management skills into solving and correcting discrepancies. As a result strengthened my all around knowledge of inventory control. My leadership in the USAF in general, encouraged me to be a leader in every aspect of the job. They stressed the importance of taking the initiative to lead others and I'm proud to say I was a part of that. Learned alot from co-workers everyday and definitely a unique group of people to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new, which happened everyday and would sometimes be tedious work. I enjoyed contributing to my expertise in logistics.
The Greatest Day
C-130 E/H rated air force officer (Former Employee), Little Rock AFBAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Wearing a flight suit
Cons: Everything not involving that flight suit
I received my DD214 and am working to join the ANG/ARC. Enough said.

A typical day is 7-5, but if you're in the Resource Advising business your day will extend well past that every single day while the government kicks the can down the road and requires you to track spending so ridiculously while not being accountable for the billions of dollars that go silently to undocumented trust funds.

I learned how to manage, fly, and absorb work flow so it can be redirected.

Co-Workers were fine. Most did not want to help you when the job was difficult. Most wanted to hang out with their bros, fly, stay away from the office and let other people complete their work and additional duties. It is undistributed workload in this environment among flying squadrons that are heavily deployed.

The hardest part of the job was to smile at people that thought you were better suited elsewhere.

The most enjoyable part was being involved with a crew that did not abuse you like a pinata.
Exiting and new challenges every day.
Senior Airman (Former Employee), clovis, nmAugust 30, 2015
I enjoyed every minute i was in the Air Force. The chance to work with many different people from all kinds of backgrounds was one of the best things i could have asked for.
Very nice place to work
Security Clerk (Former Employee), Fairborn, OHAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Great Manager and co-workers
Working as a temporary employee at Wright Pat and working for a Staff Sgt. was a different experience for me. I recorded data, reorganized file cabinets, spoke to government officials regarding the Marathon and Air Show and I made certificates for those that were involved in the Air Show and whatever was required of me. Co- workers we all polite and treated me with respect.
productive workplace with strong benefits and teamwork
Avionics Journeyman (Current Employee), Goldsboro, NCAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Strong healthcare, insurance, and team focus
Cons: short breaks, high demand for work with less people every year
Great teamwork with constant training and learning. Working together to problem solve and fix aircraft in an efficient timely manner. Management enforced 8 hour fix rate seldomly exceeded. Hardest part of the job being same amount of work with less people. Best part of the job is benefits grouped with a team of like-minded, team oriented individuals who help make the daily mission a possibility.
Airman's Life
Support Administrator (Former Employee), Hurlburt Field, FLAugust 30, 2015
Military life is hard to adjust to but the benefits of it are great. Being a computer tech I learned much of the hardware and software aspect of the IT world.
Wonderful way of life
Munitions Senior Manager (Current Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Salary, sense of purpose
Cons: constant deployments
Defending your country is one of the highest callings a person can answer. If you can handle the work tempo you will love the job.
Employees are dedicated and believe in the work that they are doing.
Training Manager (Former Employee), Peterson AFB, COAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Comraderie
Cons: Poor management
Very regimented little room for personal expression in work. For the most part employees are dedicated to their jobs. Management is placed by higher headquarters and not always the best person gets the job, very political.
Loved my experience with this company
Avionics Systems Specialist, Spanish Linguist (Former Employee), Colorado, TXAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Pay and Travel
Cons: None
While serving in the Air Force I did an array of jobs from Spanish Linguist, Avionics System Specialist, Spanish/English Linguist, and Security Police.

I truly enjoyed all the traveling I was able to do while serving our country and the pay was decent as well.
Rewarding organization to be associated with
Munitions Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee), Langley AFB, VAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Sense of accomplishment, healthcare, travel
Cons: Time away from family, declining benefits
A career in the military,specifically in the US Air Force, was very rewarding. I spent 25 years serving my country and in turn I received the tools to be a productive citizen in the civilian sector as well.
Supply Journeyman
Supply Journeyman (Former Employee), Minot, NDAugust 29, 2015
Pros: serving your country
Cons: location
Serving in the Air Force was a great time in my life. I learned so much doing on the job training. On a daily basis we would process at least 1500 order and have a 100% rating. I became a man during my time and I still carry the discipline I learned while in.
Can be one of the greatest organizations you ever worked for
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Great Advancement and compensation/benefits
Cons: fast paced high attrition with minimal succession planning
The Air Force can be great with the right leadership in place. Great benefits and advancement opportunities in place to help develop airman. The Air Force's system is structured for airmen to succeed; however, unfortunately, management plays a big role in how the system is operated. The Air Force has gotten away from leadership, mentoring, and development of young airmen and instead expect new hires to be "plug in play" with minimal training and experience. Overall, I'd recommend this organization to anyone because the cons are similar to cons shared across all jobs in corporate America.
The Air Force is a great starting place for those looking for a career
Flight Chief (Current Employee), Robins AFB GeorgiaAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Benefits are difficult to beat
Cons: Longer hours whis is most often required
I typical day at work consists of managing a flight of 63 security police members providing installation security and patrol operations for over 26,000 workforce.

I have learned to adapt to an ever changing workplace and to be flexible (if applicable) when working when others.

My management style is both firm and persuasive when required and mentoring and supporting when needed.

My co-workers are from all walks of life, some better than others; however, all have the desire to learn and progress in their career.

Adapting to the constant change of leadership as each command wants something different done with the unit.

Teaching and working with people knowing we have a significant role in the protection or people and assets.
a career
Shift Leader (Former Employee), ColumbusAugust 28, 2015
Pros: security, good pay, ability to succeed
Cons: deployments
I spent twenty years in service to my country as a member of the United States Air Force. I worked in law enforcement/Security Forces. It was very challenging working in this career field and it required a lot of discipline. I served in two wars and I've been to several oversees locations.
Ensuring the job gets done in a safe and timely manner
Fuels Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee), Eglin AFBAugust 28, 2015
Guide my troops in the right direction whether it's on or off duty and set them up for success. Work as a team to get the mission done as safe and swiftly as possible.
Everyday is a new challenge and adventure
Senior Emergency Action Controller (Current Employee), Moody AFB, GAAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Lots of coordination with other agencies and new challenges everyday
Cons: Long hours, no holidays, no breaks for meals
A typical day consists of long hours with different obstacles everyday. From flight following and working with aircrew to directing first responders to accident scenes, search and rescue coordination to time critical real world emergency action messages, everyday presents their own challenges and lessons to learn. The best part of the job is when everything is going on at once and being able to prioritize and still accomplish multiple tasks. The most difficult part of the job is the realization that people's lives are at stake and sometimes that means that no matter how well the job is performed, there are still times when casualties are unavoidable. When such instances happen, you learn to brush it off and press on with the job.
so so place to work
Element Leader/ Deputy Flight Commander (Former Employee), Nellis AFBAugust 27, 2015
depends on what ype of leadership you end up with. There are bad leaders that make your life hard, and then there are some that are easy to work with
Headquarters