U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews in United States

Found 11,186 reviews matching the search
The primary responsibility of an Air Force Security Forces Specialist career is to protect the personnel, resources and property of the U.S. Military
Patrolman (Former Employee) –  Raf Alconbury UK, Mountain Home AFB Id.April 4, 2016
Carrying out this work requires extensive training in such areas as law enforcement, criminal investigation, criminal procedures, as well as armed and unarmed defense. Air Force Security Forces Specialists work domestically and overseas. The work is physically demanding since it requires long hours standing and walking to maintain vigilance and perform needed patrols.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and career advancement opportunities
Endless Opportunities
Water & Fuels Systems Journeyman (Current Employee) –  McConnell AFB, KSMarch 31, 2016
Joining Air Force was the best decision that I ever made. I joined shortly after high school. I have learned structure and discipline which I feel is a great trait. I have also learned a lot about my job (plumbing and fuels systems). Although unfortunately I have started to learn that the after awhile it does not matter how much you know about your job, or how much work you get done. Its more important that you volunteer and be a part of irrelevant events to promote. The Air Force was great to me and I would highly recommend it to anyone with an ambitious personality. There is so much opportunity, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of not doing your job.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Micromanagement
Highly Efficient/Productive Environment
Lead Human Resources/Self-Assessment Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 8, 2016
In my absolute opinion, the Air Force is a great institute to create productive members of society. It is one that creates a culture of excellency and value-centered functions. On a typical day at work I'm at my desk doing executive duties from the beginning of the day all the way to the end of the day. I've learned key management skills being in the audience of strategic decision makers. I would however recommend this job for the strong at heart and strong at will. Me having been put in many positions to handle various documents and give certain sensitive information, it has definitely taught me about discretion of people's personal matters.
Pros
Benefits, job experience
Cons
Occaisional misguided decisions
Stable environment that instills discipline
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Germany and San antonio txMarch 8, 2016
I would start off my morning at 430 with stretching and a 2 mile jog.
Then head to base where I check in at the air force security gate and once I'm on base I would go to radio communications facility which where I worked. Enter the facility and check my email to see if there was any new training courses that I had to complete. Shortly after I would start programming radio or assisting new soldiers that needed additional training on radio terminology.terminology best part about the air force was the morale and discipline it instilled. The hardest part of the job was leaving your loved ones behind for months while you go down range to combat war
Pros
job security, personal security, good benefits, sense of thrill, travel, helps you stay healthy and fit
Cons
homesick, risk of casualtynot all jobs are good, getting into the air force is not easy it takes a lot of patience and physical training, going to war
Can be great if you set your mind to it.
Desk Sergeant/Supervisor/911 Operator (Current Employee) –  VariousFebruary 18, 2016
I worked for the Air Force Security Forces for years and I learned only to look out for myself. The culture is breed for those who only think of themselves to promote ahead of those who work hard everyday.

The people you work with are normally great but some will step on you to get ahead.

Be sure you know what your getting into before you join ask lots of questions and find someone who is already serving to talk to not just a recruiter who is getting paid to get you to join.
Pros
Steady Pay, Vacation, Travel, Benifits
Cons
Low Pay for hours, Failure at all levels of Leadership, Deployments, Good old Boy Promotions
Career with ability to learn and progress with
Low Observable Aircraft Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Whiteman AFB, MOMarch 13, 2016
My typical day at work is to get an update on what is to be done and start working. I'm a hard worker and do not like to sit around to much. I'm always looking to learn something new even if what I am doing at the time isn't favorable. I've learned throughout my career that you always need to be proactive in what you do and the faster you work on something and not procrastinate always works out in the end. If I don't know something on a specific task I will ask as many questions as needed so that I can have a better understanding of the task at hand. The more you know the better you can relate with fellow employees or subordinates so that the job gets done safely. The hardest part of my job would probably be Deployments, being married it does take a tole on you but nothing I cant handle. As far the the most enjoyable part is being able to take care of my family and working in the greatest Air Force in the world.
Pros
Military Benefits
Cons
Deployments
Air Force not for everyone
Training Instructor/Manager (Current Employee) –  ItalyMarch 15, 2016
A self-centered mentality has overtaken the workforce. The sense of belonging, brotherhood and fraternity is all but gone. There is no feeling of security nor a sense of backing. As an advertised team-oriented organization, there is no team, just a large population of me, me, me's. The health and educational benefits are good, as is the opportunity for travel and advancement. The hours can be very long, physically and emotionally taxing and not much support in the way of materials, budgeting and management.
Proud to Serve
Resources Superintendent, 56 Maintenance Group (Current Employee) –  Luke AFB, AZMarch 8, 2016
I have been proud to serve my country for the past 20 years. The military isn't for everyone. Its is a calling. For anyone interested in serving, I would say do it for 4 years and then make a decision whether or not to make it a career. At worst it will be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. At best you will make it a career. Regardless of what you do, you will never forget the people you meet and the friends you make. They make the United States Air Force what it is.
Pros
Compensation, benefits
Rapidly changing environment
Computer Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cannon AFB, NMMarch 17, 2016
It's difficult to describe the typical work day in the Air Force because it depends on many factors: your location, your specialty, your rank and the unit you are assigned to. In my experience as a Communications airman, the workflow is constant. There are many responsibilities at every level. There are many opportunities to learn and master your skill.

The benefits of serving in the military are very generous. Benefits range from free healthcare for myself and my family, to 100% tuition assistance for college.
Pros
Serving our country, free healthcare, college tuition assistance
Cons
Time away from family, little control over location, potentially long work hours
Productive workplace with mixed management styles.
Water & Fuel Systems Maintenance Journeyman (Former Employee) –  APO, AEJanuary 17, 2016
Compensation, benefits, job security, and advancement were great. Overall, I had mixed experiences with bad and good management and the reason I separated was because I became pregnant and wanted to take care of my child without worrying about deploying.

I learned management skills such as scheduling and customer service, as well as supervisory skills gleaned from the good and the bad management--I learned the kind of supervisor I want to be and the kind I don't.

My co-workers were nice and I generally enjoyed working with them. The most enjoyable part of my job was my better co-workers, while the hardest part was dealing with the bad management.
Pros
Paid lodging, food, and full benefits and compensation package to include the Thrift Savings Plan, which is similar to the 401(K).
Cons
Bad management wouldn't be fired easily.
Great learning environment and advancement.
Fuels Logistics (Former Employee) –  Eielson AFB, AK Offutt AFB, NEFebruary 16, 2016
As a Staff Sergeant in charge of training Airman on responsibilities while reviewing performance and schedules.
Learned transportation and inventory of hazard materials such as hydrocarbon fuels along with environmental guidelines and procedures.
Great management, always there to help.
Great comradely making a fun environment.
Hardest part was deploying and being on call 24/7.
Pros
Full benefits along with advancement in education and technical skills.
Cons
On call 24/7.
Proud to have served
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 31, 2016
I was a firefighter in the United States Air Force. I learned a lot by joining when I was 19 years old. I learned a lot of things while I was in, both good and bad. It's truly made me a better individual by serving my country. My supervisors from Staff Sergeant Schmidt all the way to the top to Chief Master Sergeant Womack were great to work for. I think the hardest part about being in was going to Iraq. It was a challenge, but I'm better because of it.
Pros
Great experience, and great benefits
Cons
Not really being able to see my family very much
Challanging, exciting, rewarding workplace with amazing people
MAJCOM Avionics Functional Manager (Current Employee) –  Barksdale AFB, LAFebruary 25, 2016
There are different challenges everyday. It can be both frustrating and exciting at the same time. I learn something new everday. I work with some of the best leaders/managers in the world. The bonds formed with co-workers will last a lifetime. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. If you take care of people the mission will get accomplished. The hardest part of the job is deploying and being away from your family.
Pros
Stability, structure, camaraderie, retirement plan, benefits
Cons
Family seperation
Awesome Work Enviorment
Staff Sergeant, Calibration Technician (Current Employee) –  IdahoMarch 3, 2016
a typical work days is rewarding, always something new to learn! Management changes often so if you don't like management it wont be forever. Co-workers are some of the best people you will ever meet. The hardest part is working away from family. Most enjoyable part is the reward of the mission.
Pros
medical benifits, travel, and housing
Cons
away from family, work long hours at times
Best decision I ever made
Geospatial Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Beale AFB, CAFebruary 16, 2016
I learned how to work well with others as well as independently and to do things in a timely fashion. I work well under pressure. I can't really talk a whole lot about what I did cause of my clearance level but it was rewarding knowing I was helping the guys on ground overseas. The hardest part of the job is probably just the shift work and seeing certain things on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part for me was the people I worked with cause you truly are a family and come to make life long bonds with many of your brothers and sisters in arms.
Pros
Free benefits
Cons
Work hours
Educational maturing work place
Aerospace Maintenance Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDApril 3, 2016
I learned a great amount of knowledge of how to do maintenance of aircraft and also how to be a leader and supervisor. Some days dealing with the harsh weather made doing maintenance harder than other days but having the feeling of accomplishment after using your knowledge to fix a plane over came that. The most enjoyable part was making such great friends and making planes fly.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lots of Deployments
Great lifestyle for young single people
NETWORK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 12, 2015
I was in the Air Force from 2006 - 2013 and served as a network technician. I had the opportunity to travel and learn quite a lot about IT. The work/life balance was great - you can't beat getting paid to stay in shape. Benefits, along with job security, were top notch. My only complaint is management. As much as the Air Force wants you to believe advancement is merit-based, this is simply not true. I believe the rating system lends to people slipping through the cracks and advancing when they are not prepared nor capable of performing the job. Overall, I had a great experience and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Aways had a feeling that my job was inportant to the country
Flight Engineer and load Master (Former Employee) –  US Air Force, COFebruary 20, 2016
Worked hard with a very satisfying feeling at the end of each day. Loved to go to work and enjoyed the praise I would get when I did my job well. Enjoyed when I had a problem to solve and I got the job done on time and with quality.
Pros
I always felt that I was doing a job well and that people knew that they could depend on me.
Cons
When I was in combate and I got sceared that I might not make it back
Enriching enironment filled with a dedicated workforce to finish the mission
Crew Chief/MOC Controller (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 9, 2016
Amazing workforce filled with all different levels of experience and education creating the absolute most diverse workforce in the world. Not only does the Air Force teach you how to do your job but it also enriches you personally and professionally through education and management skill building.
Benefits
Rigid and Structured with Good Benefits
Nuclear Communications Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 8, 2016
Long hours with people who cared about their country made the job a lot easier. Having a good team made all the difference and while the job may take its toll on you and force you into situations that some may view as uncomfortable, it was a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Travel Opportunities, Educational Benefits, Camaraderie

4.6