U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,662 reviews matching the search
Long hours with many benefits
Administration (Current Employee) –  World WideMay 23, 2016
Long hours but with many benefits, to include medical/dental. The ability to see the world. Many opportunities for promotion each year with pay raises. The ability to be a first-line supervisor after 4 years and to be in charge of sections after two years of working in your current job.
A great work place with ability to move up in rank.
Electrical System Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMMay 23, 2016
Each day is different from the other. Continually learned a new skill daily. A great place to build team work skills, and I was constantly give the oppertunity to travel if I wanted too.
Fun and great learning experience.
Geospatial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Beale AFB, CAMay 23, 2016
The USAF pretty much taught me all the leadership skills, and life skills that I was not able to learn as a regular citizen of society. Also they provided fine guidelines on how to treat other people, and how to interact in a group setting. They broke any barriers that any of my peers had before joining. This meant putting all of our differences aside and getting a job done, which is the fundamentals of any job or workplace.
It is a lifestyle, an all encompassing duty, not a job.
Aircraft Armament Craftsman (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 23, 2016
Serving in the U.S. Air Force is a privilege and a curse. I am privileged with the opportunity to voluntarily serve my country, to have my family taken care of, to have had the opportunity to see the world. There are so many great things to say about being an Airman. But as with everything, with the good comes the bad. We have many benefits as being service members, and from the outside, these benefits may even seem unfair to a regular civilian. Free college, free healthcare, tax free groceries, even military discounts at a lot of retailers. But these benefits are not just a handout. These are earned. There is no other job in the world that expects you to give your life if required. No other job that expects you to continue your work 10 minutes after an explosion occurred 200 yards from you killing 11 people. We deal with a lot of horrible things the average person will never even see, and with that we experience some of the most amazing things most people only dream of.

I have loved serving, and it has given me so much that I will cherish forever, but I am ready to move on to a job that focuses on helping others, and doesn't require me to lay down my life if needed.
Pros
Amazing benefits, travel, growth opportunities, etc.
Cons
low pay, high work demand, long hours, off the wall supervision.
Highly productive and educated work enviornment
Pavements/Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTMay 23, 2016
I leaned many different things while serving in the Air Force. I was formally trained on many different pieces of equipment while ensuring that I maintained a high standard. I really enjoyed working with all my peers and learning about their culture. The hardest part of this job was constantly having to move and travel.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
travel
very intersting
Armorer (Former Employee) –  Eielson AFB, AKMay 22, 2016
team balanced at specific time but everything real depends on management. with out a good backbone everything just falls apart
working in a Airforce warehouse gives you a broad realization of running a warehouse
logistics (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2016
A typical day in the office usually starts out with Briefings on what needs to be done and who you will be working with in your section of the warehouse.the hardest part of the job is staying away from the flightline where all your planes and vehicles are stored.the best part is actually being able to go on the flightline.my coworkers are awesome i consider every last one of my coworkers to be family.
Pros
always busy
Cons
short breaks
Outlier
SIGNALS ANALYST AND REPORTER (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor Naval Station, HIMay 22, 2016
I worked in a joint environment, so while I was wearing a USAF uniform, my experience was more in line of that of the US Navy, which is because I worked at a substation at Pearl Harbor. Very little contact with USAF leadership and an almost office environment.
Pros
Great work/personal balance.
Cons
Little contact with USAF leadership when issues arised.
United States Air Force
Clinic Administrator (Former Employee) –  Andrews AFB, MDMay 22, 2016
I spent 20 years in the Air Force, and I've seen parts of the world, and worked jobs I never would have known existed. As the lead Administrator of the biggest clinic there were no "typical" days. I enjoyed managing people, and resources laid to my charge. The hardest part of my job was saying goodbye after Retirement. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of others, fostering team work, an successfully completing the daily operations of the mission.
Pros
Learning new processes
Great place to work!
Airborne Mission Systems Instructor/Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Offutt AFB, NEMay 22, 2016
There is no typical day in the Air Force. Great people and exciting job opportunities. I learned a lot about Aviation and Communications. Hardest part about the job is being away from your family.
Pros
Good pay, get to see the world, free college
Cons
being away from family

Want to know more about U.S. Air Force?

Ask a question
Strong structured environment
Material Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 22, 2016
Learned to manage other Airmen and work well without supervision, helping save the Air Force millions of dollars in assets.
Volunteer Workforce
AFSC: 2A051M (Current Employee) –  Ellsworth AFB, SDMay 22, 2016
The United States Military is a great institution to work for depending on the career path you wish to take. The benefits are phenomenal. Since the USAF is transitioning into a more professional working environment, the care given to individual is unparalleled.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Shifts can be long but are usually compensated.
Experience varies based on your job
Bioenvironmental Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 21, 2016
The Air Force has been a great experience overall. However I started my career on the flight line were we consistently worked 12+ hour days, often times finishing a job early meant that you would sit around doing nothing for several hours until released. I was lucky to be able to cross-train into a non-flight line job and the experience is the complete opposite, set schedule, I got to choose the time I start work, have an hour lunch everyday and can take care of appointments and personal errands (oil change, DMV visit) during the day. You are paid based on rank not time spent at work so don't kill yourself when you could enjoy your time.
Traveled the world
Pavements and Heavy Equuipment Operator Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Barksdale AFB, LAMay 21, 2016
On duty 24/7, get to travel the world. If you play your cards right, you can stay in one place, or can travel the world, I travelled the world. You are responsible for your own success.
Fun, busy environment
Barber/Stylist (Current Employee) –  U S A F Academy, COMay 21, 2016
A fun place to work. High volume of clients. I have become very well skilled with clipper work. We have flat screen TVs in the barbershop so the Cadets can watch movies while we cut their hair. The hardest part of he job is saying goodbye when graduation comes. Management needs improvement. My co-workers are all very nice.
Pros
Making new friends from around the world.
Cons
Graduation is bitter sweet.
Incredible organization with opportunity and impact beyond everyday jobs. It's a life style.
Commanding Officer/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) (Former Employee) –  McGuire AFB, NJMay 21, 2016
The Air Force is a great organization with strong camaraderie and service to a higher cause.

The days can be long and the separation from family can be tough at times, but the sacrifice is worth contributing to something bigger than yourself.
Pros
Experiences, people, service
Cons
Separation from family.
NYANG-Westhampton Decent Pay, Terrible Management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Westhampton Beach, NYMay 21, 2016
Worked there for four years as a Dual-Status Technician. The money is decent depending on your position. However, if you have education & experience your time and effort are better spent elsewhere. The management is terrible, general concern for people and morale is non-existent. Highlighting this, is the fact that many guardsmen can't handle being there for 1 weekend per month. Many of them transfer to another unit if they can, or are just biding their time until their contract is up. A majority of the workforce is made up of new recruits who don't know any better and personnel waiting out their retirement. The political agenda of the senior leadership has neglected the personnel supporting the mission. Bottomline, much like active duty, its a thankless job with extremely high demands on your life with little in return for compensation. My suggestion, take what you need from a job here...ie: experience, education, etc...and move on. There are many other federal positions that appreciate their employees, offer higher salaries, and don't have unreasonable expectations of work/life.
Pros
Entry-level pay, benefits (vacation, medical)
Cons
Poor leadership, Morale of personnel, Non-existent Work/Life Balance, Unreasonable work demands/comittment
Fast paced work environement
Aircrew Flight Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 20, 2016
The United States Air Force was a fast paced work environment with room for advancement and a great team feel to the work culture.
It was not my idea
Airman (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2016
I was having a good time in Clarksville until I received greetings from the president. I had taken ROTC in college, and the USAF didn't want me in the air; and, I didn't want to be with them on the ground.
Pros
Travel
Cons
4 years out of being civilian
Absolutely Fullfilling Career
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2016
The U.S. Air Force is a well run organization that values individual contributions, teamwork, and personnel growth. The level of pride displayed by the Air Force's Airmen is a testament to the leadership and what it means to serve the Nation!

4.6