U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Found 12,329 reviews matching the search
Productive place to work
Concessions Team Member (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 13, 2016
A typical day is first getting onto the Academy. You have to pass onto base first. Management was great, they were usually pretty cool. Most of the time are fun and what you make of it. Most of my co-workers were nice too. They thought I was fun to be around. The most troubling part was before I was involved in my accident, I was completely counted on for help. Upon the accident, I was cast aside and ignored. After the accident, I was looked at as a problem, and fired. I enjoyed working here because the surroundings were very professional. I didn't enjoy the lack of training and effort placed in my advancement. And honestly, the field house needs money to afford new equipment, but they keep losing funds to larger and "more important" expenses, like the football stadium.
Pros
paid for your lunch
Cons
the drive time (30 minutes)
Professional and Exciting!
SENIOR TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDFebruary 9, 2017
I work in what is considered "The best job in the Air Force." The First Sergeant." The bottom line is helping people. There is no such thing as a typical. Every one is different. The day starts off VERY early in the morning. I deal with everything from suicide prevention/ intervention, crisis management, financial management, hospitalized personnel, disciplinary/ administrative actions, promotions, recognition & awards, demotions, training, career progression and the list goes on. I am responsible for the health, welfare, morale, good order and discipline of over 400 people. I am responsible to the commander and advise him or her on ALL matters of the unit. I am on call 24/7 and frequently respond to calls in the middle of the night. Best job I've had the privilege of doing so far!
Pros
Helping people
Cons
The 2am phone calls
Great place to be if you have done your homework
Section Chief, Airfield Construction Inspection (Current Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
The Air Force is a wonderful opportunity. Travel, Benefits, etc... are prevalent. However, in recent years, budget cuts, manning cuts, and system overhauls have made management stretched thin and apathetic (in general) about subordinates careers. Being away from home for months at a time with a Boss that does not care about you, working for an organization that can replace you in minutes, is not very satisfying at times. When its good, its great. When its not good, there is no way out, but to ride your contract to termination.
Don't let the negative sway your choice. This is more rewarding than almost anything else.
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXSeptember 20, 2016
If you love your country and know that this job is a job that involves war and deployments, then you will not be disappointed.

-8-12 hour shifts
-great beginning skills but must get further education and licenses to progress after retirement or separation.
-Great NCOs and Officers that share in your long hours and training.
-Your life changes after training and when you re-enter the civilian world you are different.
-Deployments are hard on everyone but it is also rewarding to serve your country. Prepare yourself and your family because it will happen eventually.
-Wearing the uniform and being a part of something greater than yourself is rewarding beyond compare.
Pros
Benefits are crazy good, clear and awesome career progression, good pay, see the world, training, and awesome co-workers.
Cons
Hard on families, loss of some freedoms, deployments are awesome but still hard on families, and there needs to be some better prep training for exiting airmen..
Job security, great benefits, and self paced advancement
Section Chief (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day consists of preparation and maintenance as required. One will spend about 50% - 75% of their day on a computer doing paperwork. I have learned many skills from maintenance, supervision, management, and the ability to multitask. Management is very results driven, but allows plenty of room for independent work. The culture is very diverse with folks coming from all walks of life and backgrounds. The hardest part is being separated from family while deployed. The best part is deployments, you get to experience things 99% of population will never see. You will meet people who will become better friends than anyone you have ever known.
Pros
People & places
Cons
Time away from family
Loved my co-workers, and my Chief at Tinker Air Force Base
PA - Program Assistant, GS (Former Employee) –  Tinker AFB, OKJanuary 19, 2017
- A typical day on Tinker AFB consisted of ensuring that all task were met in a timely manner, very important task
- Learned how to be persistent as needed to complete all task, was able to train a group that consisted of many different types of cultures in regards to any new administrative procedures, timekeeping, guidelines/policies.
- Learned how to effectively communicate with all types of individuals to get the job done
- Worked very closely with Management in regards to upcoming deadlines, new office procedures, suggestions on ways to better out workflow, etc...Had a superb relationship with Management
- Workplace culture was extremely diversified
- Hardest part of the job was attempting to communicating with Engineers that were in other countries traveling and they may not have provided a timesheet
- Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the group, comprised of 255 employees not including Management was like a family, really enjoyed working with this group...
Pros
Was afforded the opportunity to be a part of several different working groups, with different projects, and needs which in turn provided me with a wide range of skills
Cons
Not enough salary associated with the duties
Great first Professional Experience
Client Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Vandenberg AFB, CAJanuary 27, 2017
Very determined group of people who are always mission focused and desiring to smooth procedures out.

Learned many things such as professional dress and appearance at all times, handling many projects at one time efficiently, working as a team and working alone, rank structure and how to apply it to every day behavior, how to handle high stress, and who to go to for certain information.

Cons -
Different standards set at every corner depending on who was in charge, cut throat environment due to promotion changes and strict disciplinary actions taken for even small infractions, personal life was hard to maintain.
Pros
Benefits, education, and security.
Productive and fast pace Environment
Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLDecember 7, 2016
In my time in the United States Air Force I was challenged to out bring the best in my work performance. I also was allowed to grow and progress in a professional environment. I learned how to multi task as well as follow and lead. I also enjoyed working as team and accomplish goals and have successful outcomes.
Pros
Benefits in education, healthcare, and job security
Cons
Long hours and the unexpected
A challenging but fulfilling work experience
Sortie Support Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Minot, North DakotaFebruary 13, 2017
A typical day for a crew chief can come in many broad areas. One area is completing day-to-day maintenance, including end-of-runway, postflight, preflight, thru-flight, special inspections and phase inspections. You would also diagnose malfunctions and replace components. Complete detailed inspections, record-keeping, and administration. While also providing supervision and coordination of aircraft care, as well as such varied duties as crew chief, repair and reclamation, and crash recovery duties. Management in the military can become quite hectic with the constant change of individuals taking command with different standards and procedures differing from each individual. The hardest part of the job would have to be the time away from loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the camaraderie and bonding with your fellow airman.
Pros
Military benefits
Cons
missing family, work conditions
Good start on life
Metals Technology Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 17, 2016
Great way to begin life as a young adult. I was able to become my own person, and learn independence. Learned to work with various types of people in different environments. Would strongly recommend to anyone looking for a strong foundation to begin their life on.
Pros
job security, diversity, benefits
Cons
work/life balance wasn't horrible but not easy at times, sometimes there are too many chiefs and not enough indians
Great experience. If I did not have other aspirations I would have retired in the military.
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  GlobalNovember 10, 2016
The U.S Air Force was a great experience. I'm happy I joined as it taught me a lot about life. It taught how to be discipline, integrity, perseverance, and execution on the task at hand. It's a structure where you must respect and listen to your peers as you earn your stripes. The culture is all about the team or the next man to you and the mission at hand. I would easily choose to do all 20 years if the compensation and benefits where a bit better. I had other aspirations so I did my time and honorably seperated. I highly recommend for young man to join the force if college is not an option coming out of high school.
Pros
Best Air Force in the World
Cons
Underpaid
Rewarding service to my country.
USAF Security Forces Criminal Investigator (Former Employee) –  Provincia de AlajuelaDecember 8, 2016
I worked in Security Forces as a Law Enforcement Specialist. I was assigned to duties such as military installation control, routine police patrol and traffic control, law enforcement desk sergeant, criminal investigator, flight chief (shift supervisor), base customs inspections on aircraft coming in-country from out of country locations, emergency services team (SWAT) officer.
You are assigned duties commensurate with your rank and rank is made according to time in service, experience and testing. Pay and benefits are adequate.
Pros
Positive working environment. Recognition for achievements
Cons
Long hours and deployments
Great work experience
Avionics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTNovember 15, 2016
The military offers great pay and benefits and an opportunity to gain great job knowledge and experience for a good career in the civilian world. you get to travel the world and see new places experience new things, cultures, people, and have a fun time doing it.
Pros
vacation, great working environment, travel the world, great pay
Cons
short lunches, deployments are rough on family life, sometimes long days
For those seeking a rewarding career
Regional Recruiting Manager (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GASeptember 20, 2016
This career option is not for everyone. If you are looking for a rewarding career with great benefits this position is for you. Over 140 different career paths are available with benefits that include, paid medical and dental, competitive salary, 30 days of vacation with pay per year, educational tuition benefits, life insurance benefits, and opportunities for advancement. You must be willing to relocate.
Pros
Entitlements/Benefits
Cons
Hours/Relocation
Fast paced and enjoyable working enviornment
Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2016
There was adequate room for advancement. The people were great to work with. Many deployment opportunities. Dealing with management was sometimes a struggle.
Pros
Benifits and experience
Cons
Long hours and time
Fulfilling job with great experiences
Client Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 18, 2016
All of the IT experience I have gained was through my Air Force career. I worked at the help desk on Langley Air Force Base where my day consisted on troubleshooting computer issues over the phone as well as remotely. I created new customer network accounts as well as fixed non working customer accounts. Management and co-workers were extremely helpful and provided a family like environment. The hardest part of the job was the influx of customer calls in an office where the manning was extremely low. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around people that were always so willing to assist others.
High stress, diverse, educational work environment
Officer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 25, 2017
Officers are expected to be a jack of all trades, capable of managing any work environment regardless of knowledge in that area of responsibility. Officers are also expected to learn fast with little to no training or continuity because of constant turn over. Additionally, job security ties directly to congressional funding and current political concepts. High fluctuation between hiring and firing periods.
Pros
Face paced learning environment, always doing something new, potential for travel
Cons
military health care, internal and external politics, inability to set clear priorities
n/a
Intel Operations Journeyman (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 7, 2016
A typical day at work had a great balance of outdoor/indoor work. There was a steady pace that wasn't too fast or slow. I've learned large amounts of knowledge in the avionics career field along with supervisory skills and learning how to be supervised at the same time. My management was extraordinary everywhere I went. Incredible professionalism was practiced within my management, as well as every single one of my co-workers. I would have to say the hardest part of my job was the deployment schedule. The most enjoyable part of my Air Force experience was the network and family you build through the comradery of your every day duties and accomplishments.
Great way to start your life
Crash Recovery Team Lead / Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Holloman AFB, NMAugust 21, 2016
The U.S. Air Force is a great branch to join if you're looking to serve your country and pick up some great technical skills that translate very well to the civilian sector if and when you decide to separate. You won't find a place with better people or stronger friendships. Of course with every career you will have your ups and downs, but at the end of it all you will have had some of the best years of your life, and you will have grown both personally and professionally.
Pros
Job security, camaraderie, non-pay benefits, travel, experiences
Cons
Contract, potential for very long hours w/ no overtime
Miltary Navy service provided me the opportunity sucessful aerospace career.
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2016
Attended managerial meetings. Assigned employee workloads to subordinates for accomplishing aircraft inspections. Lead subordinates in and aircraft maintenance environment to meet daily flight schedules. I learned the importance of camaraderie and loyalty in working with management, co-workers, and subordinates. I also learned the skills to become an aircraft mechanic which led to my career in quality inspection and assurance. The hardest part of the job was leaving friends to move to new duty stations. The most enjoyable part of the job was moving to new duty stations and making new friends.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6