U.S. Air Force
7,042 reviews

U.S. Air Force Employer Reviews

Great Work environment, great people, great job
Avionics Technician, Guidance and Control (Current Employee), Niagara fall, NYMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Benefits, travel, enjoyable work
Cons: certain deployments
A typical work is not typical when in the military. There are many different systems on an aircraft that can fail and require maintenance. When something fails we go to the plane, trouble shoot the problem down to a part or system using technical data, order the part or parts, replace that part, and run up the system. If the part is what was needed, we sign of the job.

I have learned electrical and electrical mechanical trouble shooting. Leadership skills. How to follow instruction.

Some of my co-workers are more experienced, some are less. They are all motivated to learn and do their best. They are knowlegable and hard workers. Always helping others.

The hardest part of the job is when deployments come up and I have to leave my family for long periods of time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery of my co=workers and the work its self.
Productive and meeting new students was very exiting.
Avionics Instructor (Former Employee), Wichita Falls TexasMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Meeting new People, Going to new Places, and Job experience
Cons: Deployment sometimes was very hard.
Teaching was a very rewarding. Loved meeting 8-10 new students every week or two. Teaching was the most enjoyable part of the day. Preparing a lesson plan to keep students interested can be hard sometimes but very manageable.
Mixed bag
Aerospace Mechanic (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2015
Pros: fast paced
Cons: short breaks, hostile working environment
There is a lot of great benefits to military service, as well as some serious drawbacks. It is certainly not for everyone.
N/A
Loadmaster (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 24, 2015
Mostly flew top secret missions and loved every minute of it. Opening the back hatch of the plane while flying hundreds of feet in the air was an exhilarating experience.
A chance to take on a challenge while serving your country
Section Manager (Former Employee), EverywhereMarch 23, 2015
My Air Force career was amazing. I had the opportunity to see the world and experience different cultures. Although the Air Force was challenging, I left with a sense of pride in my accomplishments.
Job Security
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 23, 2015
The best place to go if you're unsure if what you want to do in life! You get to travel and see the world all while meeting new people and enjoying different cultures.
A+
Integrated Avionics Craftsman Technician, SSGT (Former Employee), FloridaMarch 23, 2015
Pros: stigma
Cons: lifestyle
The best company to work for. Rewarding from all the hard work and long hours you put in. Management is always changing and strong leaders are rewarded, weak are put in a not essential position. Sacrifice is the key word with this company. Hard on family and relationships. Since then have moved on to pursue graduate degree outside of the military. The transition is difficult, but not impossible.
Great workplace
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Beale AFB CAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: benefits/pto make friends for life
People that come from all different walks of life become family. Supervisors are there to help you out and protect you. Work hard play hard mentality. Benefits are amazing and the PTO cant be beat
Professional and rewarding organization
Public Affairs Specialist (Former Employee), Sheppard AFB, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: career advancement, great benefits, travel
A typical day at work consisted of physical training to maintain a healthy body, team meetings and collaborations about how to contribute to the mission, executing individual activities according to priority, and opportunities to work with senior leadership.

While in the Air Force, I learned how to grow from a high school graduate into a professional member of the workforce. This organization taught me how to be a subordinate, a leader, and a team player.

Management was composed of Airmen who had started from the bottom of the organization and worked their way into their senior positions. They served as supervisors, leadership, and most importantly mentors.

The Air Force develops people into Airmen. Everyone went through the same basic training and had the same core values instilled in them. What I liked most was that we all exercised "Integrity First" into everything we did as Airmen.

The hardest part of the job was having to say goodbye to each team of people that I worked with. The Air Force offers a lot of travel and a lot of great people to meet. Saying goodbye to them can be tough but it is worth for the opportunities that are in store.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experiences. You are always in training for something in the Air Force, which means that you are also always in a state of learning new things.
I am so proud to have served my country.
Technical Sergeant (Former Employee), ND, MO, IL, AK, ID, ROK, Iraq, AfghanistanMarch 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: away from home always, extreme lack of leadership
The Air Force is a living breathing entity that is ever changing. However, in 15 years I was serving it grew into a business rather than a military force.

We were still expected to continue to do all our soldierly duties but then on top of it we were expected to maintain a business like attitude.

I hold any person willing to serve their country in the highest regard but I would suggest the Army or Marine Corps. These two military branches has really started to put their people first.
Best of all the Uniformed Services
First Sergeant (Former Employee), WorldwideMarch 23, 2015
Pros: core values
Cons: deployments overseas in the sandbox
The Air Force is a place where a person can start at the bottom and become a General if he/she plays it all right. Even if you don't play it all perfect you can still retire after 20 years with a pension for life. Pretty good...
Great
Desk Sergeant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: benefits and training
It was great to serve my country for 6 years. I worked both Law Enforcement and Security side of the job. Great deal of training, awesome missions.
USAF Personnel
Supervisor for Personnel Customer Service (Former Employee), Vandenberg AFB, CAMarch 22, 2015
Pros: stablility, learning, challenges, and the ability to excel.
Cons: deployment
A typical day for this job was never really typical. Everyday you came in early and had all sorts of situations that would pop up throughout the day that needed to be dealt with besides the day to day grind. I learned a lot in this job for over 12 years. I learned leadership, compassion for others, customer service, multi tasking, how to deal with conflict, and much more. The hardest part of this job was knowing that at any minute you can be activated to deploy if need be but over all those years I loved my job and over all the years of learning on the job and from others helped me to provided the best to those that we serviced.
Air Force
Sergeant (Former Employee), Alaska, NevadaMarch 22, 2015
Great experience. Fully support all who join any branch of our nations service. Would still be there if not for and unanticipated injury led to early retirement.
AF is a good career path
Program Manager (Former Employee), N/AMarch 22, 2015
Joining the military will make you a leader and provide you with the skill set to succeed!

Managed production for satellite space systems, learned contracting, finance, quality assurance, acquisition life cycle and so forth.
Law enforcement
Security Forces (Current Employee), Miami,FLMarch 22, 2015
A typical day could range from just checking IDs to enter the base gate to patrolling the base. I am a base cop where I am a first responder to situations that range from traffic accidents to active shooters.
N/A
Pavements and Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Mountain Home, IDMarch 22, 2015
Good job, but with the recent force reduction, half of my career field took a cut. Good education, traveling, poor senior leadership.
Group cohesion and secure
Flight Commander (Current Employee), Tinker AFB, OKMarch 22, 2015
Pros: security, cohesion
Cons: moving every 3 years, deploying
20 years of military service has molded me into not only a leader, mentor & member of the Air Force but has given me the opportunities to learn and work in environments that as a civilian nurse I would not have been easily able to experience.
Rewarding Career Oppurtunity
Senior Operations Manager | Superintendent (Current Employee), Langley AFB VAMarch 21, 2015
I've spent nearly 25 years in the Air Force, loved just about every minute of it. It's been a great way to serve our nation, and I've got so much experience from the duties I've performed!
Military Life
Personnel Technician (Enlisted) (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 21, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits, opportunites
Cons: deployment schedule
The Air Force is a great way to serve and show your patriotism. The opportunities for advancement are yours for the taking and the atmosphere is one that has become more and more airmen/family oriented.

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more

U.S. Air Force Salaries