U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

A high ops-tempo, constant relocation, on-call 24/7 workplace environment is not for everybody...
Human Resources and Programs Manager (Current Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAJanuary 18, 2018
...but for those that thrive on it, and work on a specialty they love, it can be the best job that he or she can have.

If you want to work for the Air Force, or any of the other U.S. military branches, ensure that you deal well with pressure, don't mind travelling the world (good and bad locations), and put the time and effort to research the job you want to do for at least 4-6 years.
Pros
job stability, more than ample benefits (medical/dental, education, etc.)
Cons
held to a 4-6 year contract, little to no choice for relocation
Freedom to handle large projects
Telecommunications and Engineering Program Manager (Former Employee) –  UtahJanuary 18, 2018
Great work environment with 25% travel. Was given the freedom to handle large communication infrastructure projects from cradle to grave. I was able to review and award contracts followed by project oversight to completion.
Pros
Great travel and customer interaction
Cons
Upward promotion movement was very limited
Enlisted Militarty
Airfield Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 18, 2018
If you really know what the military is about before enlisting then you will be fine. This role is meant for the ones that want to put the organization above everything else, including family, friends and self.
Great Experience
Research Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 18, 2018
Working as an independent contractor for Nellis AFB for eleven years was an experience of a lifetime. The federal employees were committed to their mission and open to new ideas for getting it accomplished. This open mindedness and collaboration allowed me to embark on and complete some very exciting research that I feel contributes to a better understanding of our nation's history and planning for it's future.
Good experience
Missile Crew Commander (Former Employee) –  North DakotaJanuary 18, 2018
The military is a good place to start out as a young person and I would highly recommend it. You will receive a lot of responsibility for an entry level employee and it will train you to work as a team.
Pros
good experience
Cons
not a good family to work balance
Great branch to be apart of
NCOIC AFOSI Pro-Staff Assignments (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAJanuary 18, 2018
I love the military and the branch I served in. There is a cohesiveness and that you don't experience anywhere else. It really is a family business. Air power all the way.
Military
Cyber Systems Technician/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tinker AFB, OKJanuary 18, 2018
Its a great place to start off a good career. It teaches you many skills you need to thrive in today's world. I would highly recommend the Air Force as an option to pursue whatever career path interests you. The available jobs are quite diverse.
Pros
Time off, Benefits, Free training, Benefits.
Cons
Stability, Inconsistent leadership, drama.
It is what you make it.
KNOWLEDGE OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Lackland AFB, TXJanuary 17, 2018
Your career is what you make of it. Good benefits overall. Management is usually very organized. You can learn alot from supervisor roles. Family oriented.
Benefits
Cons
Lots of studying constantly to upgrade
good
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  NevadaJanuary 17, 2018
It's a good career move. Fast Paced, lots of travel, meet great people, gain leadership skills. You get to do really important work that others will never get a chance to do at such a young age.
US Air Force
Senior Project Manager/ Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 17, 2018
My time in the US Air Force has been nothing short of amazing. I have been provided an opportunity to learn a skill set, lead and manage people, and work with some of the most amazing people in the world. I have been blessed to have leadership that listened, and challenged me in areas outside of my comfort zone. I am a better person for having the privilege to serve our great country!
Pros
Education, experience, leadership, diversity
Cons
deployment rates, work-life balance, budget constraints
fast paced,
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2018
Constantly busy with very little down time. Company is great with giving you time off for taking care of family needs. They are very flexible and accommodating for military requirements.
Civil Air Patrol volunteer
Squadron Commander (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYJanuary 17, 2018
Awesome organization that teaches youth about the Air Force, community, state and nation. Provides search and rescue for inland SAR. Also supports the community and state for approved missions.
Pros
Serving your community
Air Force
Aviation Mechanic (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJanuary 17, 2018
I loved the military and the benefits and everything that came with it. I learned a great deal of discipline from the job and the people. Made great friends, also.
United States Air Force
Air Crew Life Support Technician (A1C) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 17, 2018
Exemplary.. unmatched comradery. In depth training and material. Very detailed. Involved in the community. An experience that should not be passed by.
Usaf
Services Technician (Former Employee) –  MacDill AFB, FLJanuary 17, 2018
It takes all types of Airmen to perform duties necessary to keep our bases operational. It’s the job of Services specialists to maintain and operate hotels, restaurants and fitness centers at bases all over the world. These experts perform a variety of tasks; from conducting physical fitness tests to helping families relocate to new bases in order to support their fellow Airmen and keep our operations running smoothly.
Fly, Fight, Win
Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Hanscom AFB, MAJanuary 17, 2018
Active duty Air Force was a great way of life.
moving from one place to another was a challenge but always new and exciting.
Would do it all over again.
Great experience
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Joint Base Mcguire Dix Lakehurst, NJJanuary 17, 2018
The US Air Force was the best decision I every made. I got to work with great people and travel all over the world. The downside is that there was no overtime pay.
Always busy but slow at the same time
Metals Technology Apprentice, Davis (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 17, 2018
we have a flight line crew to take care of jobs that need to be done on the aircraft and a number of people in the shop to take care of aircraft parts that come in to our back shop. Sometimes there are more jobs on the line than in the shop so it can be slow.
benefits
Cons
the pay
Hua!
Military Police-Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJanuary 17, 2018
The United States Air Force completes its mission by achieving dominate air power over Americas enemies. The United States Air Force is professional and competent.
US Air Force
Public Affairs Specialist and Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) –  Langley AFB, VAJanuary 17, 2018
The military should have secular chaplains and more constructive basic training practices. Training culture and station culture needs and can always use improvement but based is possibly better in some ways than the popular notion of each.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4