U.S. Air Force
7,173 reviews

U.S. Air Force United States Employee Reviews

Great, Exciting place to work
Flight Engineer (Current Employee), Hill AFB, UTApril 10, 2015
Great, Exciting place to work, great people and the work is always exciting.. It is obviously a Military job and along with that comes all of the responsibilities. Deployments were not always from.
Air force
Traffic Management Journeyman (Former Employee), Altus AFB OKApril 10, 2015
Pros: stability
Cons: deployments
It will offer a good way of life and help you develop the skills needed to succeed in todays work force. It also can provide you the opportunity to further your education.
Great lessons learned
Dedicated Crew Chief (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAApril 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Operations tempo
I learned some great life lessons from my time in the Air Force, however the operations tempo was too high to balance home and work life.
Plenty of Job Security. Although, not enough to deal with stresses.
Air Transportation Journeyman (Former Employee), EverywhereApril 10, 2015
Pros: Job Security, Benefits
Cons: Undue stress, poor leadership, constantly moving, deployments at a moments notice
I learned plenty while being in the Air Force which is to say that the only benefits from being in the service was meeting new people, seeing new places, learning what not to do as a leader, and gaining leadership skills.

However, as they say, the military is not for everyone, and it was not for me. I could go into details on what I mean by that, but I won't. I'll simply say that the military was causing me undue stress, jacking up my blood pressure, and not making me a pleasant person to be around. So instead of remaining in for a career I decided to separate from the service to pursue a career in Computer Networking and IT work so that I could better myself and do something I enjoy.
Fast Paced with Great opportunities
Enlisted Accessions Recruiter (Current Employee), Taunton, MAApril 10, 2015
If your looking for a rewarding career with great benefits right out the gate the Air Force is the Way to go. The entry level training and experience is extremely valuable, and helpful.
Knowledge Operations Manager (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 9, 2015
Everyday in the Air force is full of opportunities and growth. We as soldiers are held to a higher standard so every task that is done has to be done efficiently. We have superiors we can always turn to and depend on for help if we ever need it personally or professionally. That's the amazing thing about the air force not only are we co-workers but we are also a family.
United States Air Force
Promotion Test Writer (Current Employee), Randolph Air Force BaseApril 9, 2015
Pros: Education, training, real time experience, job security, health care, benefits, honor, self sacrifice, patriotism
Cons: deployments, pay is not close to what one deserves considering the work and expectations
United States Air Force provides an excellent working environment to learn new skills and implement them immediately. The experience learned by Air Force professionals puts them far beyond their civilian counterparts in similar career fields. Civilian employers should take advantage of the skills and professionalism of Air Force veterans in their companies any chance they get.

Young Airmen learn to lead at a very young age and continue to lead and manage throughout their careers. This type of experience along with professional skills is hard to find in anyone that has not served in the military. In addition to leadership and management experience, we possess the ability to make tough on the spot decisions, bring teams together to solve complex issues and focus on achieving a common goal. This is an essential part of any company's success.

The hardest part of being a part of any branch of the military is the commitment to the safety and security of the United States. Every member of the military will and is expected to leave their families for extended periods of time to put themselves in harm's way to protect their families, U.S. national security and U.S. interests around the globe.
The U.S. Air Force Trained me for life's hardest challenges
Aircraft Maintenance Technician/Crewchief (Former Employee), Elmendorf AFB, AKApril 8, 2015
Pros: Technical Order Data
Cons: Perception, Job Data doesn't always transfer from system to system without hiccups
A typical day at work would consist of, but not limited to the launch, recovery, thru-flight and basic-post flight inspection of fighter aircraft. Air-frame maintenance comprised of mechanical and hydraulic/pneumatic component removal, replacement, operational checks, engine runs, servicing, and troubleshooting. Structural aircraft system inspections and removal/replacement of aircraft structure to facilitate maintenance such as engine removal for on or off-aircraft equipment maintenance.

Skills Learned:
- Safety
- Attention to detail
- Information Conveyance (verbal, written, or electronically)
- Job Data Documentation
- Quality Assurance
- Technical Maintenance
- Aircraft Tow Driver

Hardest part of the job: Keeping my jet spotlessly clean

Most enjoyable part of the job was having my name on my jet, along with my supervisor and pilot.
Great benefits.
JET ENGINE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 8, 2015
I enjoyed my Air Force time. You learn valuable skills and earn great benefits. Expect a hectic schedule and moving every two years.
This job made me grow up, real quick.
Security Forces (Former Employee), Schriever AFB, Colorado Springs, CO.April 8, 2015
Pros: total security, insurance of all kinds, free room and bored, paid meals, cheap living.
Cons: long and tiring hours.
A typical day? There was not a typical day in the Air force. You could go in expecting what may happen that day, but there was never a guarantee it was going to be a "normal" day.
When I was in the Air Force I learned respect, loyalty and responsibility. I think this "job" is when i really grew up and decided it was time to stop acting like a kid and to start behaving like a gentleman. I was given higher priorities and responsibilities. I was looked at differently because I was wearing this uniform that literally, anyone would know who I was and what I was a part of.
In the military your "management" is always going to make sure that they are doing the best they can to make your job and your life as easy and enjoyable as possible. Professionalism is a huge factor, but no one was ever afraid to "take off the uniform" and just talk to you when you really needed a listening ear.
Co-workers quickly became a second family, because you were with them literally, almost 24 hours a day. They were the only people that you talked to, or spent time with even off the clock. When your that close to a "co-worker" its only a matter of time until you don't look at them that way anymore. They quickly become your brother, or your family.
The hardest part of this job was just the constant demand and stress you went through. When you were on the job you had to be ready for anything to happen at any time. That kind of took its tole on you if you didn't know how to handle it properly and it was sometimes difficult to separate work your "private life" because short of watching a movie in your dorm, there was almost no sort of private life.
The most enjoyable part of this job was ultimately the transition i made as a person.
Benifits in more ways than one
Health Service Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TX & Dayton, OHApril 8, 2015
Pros: Free Healthcare/Covered Expenses
Cons: Overtime quite often minus the pay
Even thought it was a "9-5 job" that I had within the military, I was an active working 24 hours during the day for 7 days a week, whether I wanted it to be or not.

It's a much greater environment than I initially expected however, with management and co-workers that a usually much more closely knit together than the average job.

Management was also very helpful, especially with multiple levels within the chain of command that were actually accessible if your initial boss wasn't available or if you didn't want to talk to them. I definitely learned a lot about humility and helping each other during my time there.

The very best part about working there however, is the benefits.Not only is your entire healthcare taken care of, but your eyes are covered (Which is very important for a glasses wearer like myself) and also housing as well as food is automatically covered as a military airman/soldier/sailor.
Great Place to work
Aircraft Functional Mananger (Current Employee), Hickam AFB, HIApril 8, 2015
Pros: Job Stability
The Air Force is a great place to work. Excellent travel opportunities allow for widening your breadth of experience. The Air Force has provided me with training in many areas to include Leadership, Managerial and Supervisory skills. The people I worked with are awesome; always tight knit and culturally diverse. The hardest part of the job are deployments. It is tough to be away from your family for such an extended period of time. What I enjoy most is the camaraderie. As I said there are great people in the Air Force.
Great way to serve your country.
Security Forces Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2015
Pros: Health care, free schooling
Cons: long work days
The United States Air Force and the experience that it has giving me is more than i could of asked for anywhere else.The brotherhood you build with friends cannot be achieved anywhere else.
Great benefits and travel opportunities.
Mid-Level Manager, Equal Opportunity (Current Employee), Edwards AFB, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Retirement plan
Cons: Deployments
Great company with excellent lifelong benefits. Provided an opportunity for me to travel to twenty countries. Career opportunities limited by only the imagination.
Great military experience
NCOIC Administration/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Air Force Academy, COApril 7, 2015
Pros: Free medical care, free education, travel, meeting new people
Being apart of the United States Air Force provides great satisfaction. I get to serve my country while earning my degree and traveling the world. On a daily basis, I perform customer service duties and work directly for my Commander providing executive support. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the planes fly, knowing that my job helps to support the mission. The hardest part of my job would be not having enough workload sometimes. I am a person who can multitask and thrives off of workload and staying occupied.
Everybody should do it
Logistics Planner (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 7, 2015
Pros: Unique Community
These where by far the best 10 years of my life. Through ups and downs the Air Force made me the person I am now and enhanced my skills as a human being. Specially as a Logistics Planner. You never knew what you where going to get on the daily basis. Unpredictable and fun.
Teamwork and leadership with coworkers working hard to continue the mission
Senior Airman (Former Employee), Eastover, SCApril 6, 2015
Excellent time in the military while growing as a person. Learned a lot about teamwork and being relied upon by others to finish the job. Had to be able to adapt and learn quickly to new situations.
Great company to work for.
Health Services Manager (Former Employee), Buckley AFB, COApril 6, 2015
Pros: free food and very good to families.
Cons: none
Great branch to be apart of! I had it easier than most working a 8- 4 schedule and had weekends off. I worked in a medical facility. It was great they pay for your schooling, and they give raises every year!
Highly proffessional and close working relationships
supervisor (Current Employee), Tucson, AZApril 6, 2015
A typical day of work on top of normal duties was training, both classroom and workshop, personnel management, program managing and general health and wellness. The USAF will teach you how to manage your time. With difference organizations and shops you quickly learn the basic tools for a strong business. Supervision is one of the biggest learning curves because in the military you are involved in both professional and personal wellness of subordinates. My co-workers were and are my brother in arms. We ate, slept and worked together. The hardest part about the job was without a doubt being away from the people you cared for. The most enjoyable was a sense of teamwork and accomplishment when we found success as a flight.
very good
Warehouse Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee), Dover AFB, DEApril 6, 2015
The air force is a great company to work for. The benefits as well as team player environment is very good. It is a very professional environment and inviting company to work for including the benefits.

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more

U.S. Air Force Salaries