U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews in United States

Found 10,970 reviews matching the search
An experience that taught me great skills for a lifetime.
Aircraft Armament Systems Craftsman (2W171) (Former Employee) –  Tyndall AFB, FLJanuary 5, 2016
The opportunity to work on multi-million dollar equipment with and end goal of upholding the freedom of our country. It brought me great satisfaction to know that I was doing something that mattered to more people than just myself and my family. Many days were long and stressful but the teamwork I've learned would be beneficial to any team I join in the future.
Pros
Healthcare, travel, culture
Cons
long hours, more risk than reward
A very challenging endeavor
Aeromedical Staging Flight Administration (Former Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILNovember 9, 2015
A typical day would consist of new tasking, projects, due dates, training that needed to be done. What I learned is how to work non-stop without getting tired. Management is a hard thing to grasp and some in the military accomplished that quite well. My co-workers, most of them wound up being close friends and I would work with them any day. The hardest part of the job was sometimes things didn't go as planned but all you can do is move on and keep going forward. The most enjoyable part was the people I've met and created friendships with.
Pros
Money for school, permanent job security for awhile.
Cons
The military rules, some of the people, the double standards, favoritism
Air Force
Aerospace Propulsion Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Headquarters is in Illinois.September 15, 2015
A typical day at work is coming in to your work center and getting briefed on the workload for the day. I learned how to be a mechanic and also valuable leadership skills. Management was great for the most part and they created a culture of growth and effective mentor-ship. My co-workers were amazing, everyone looked out for and took care of each other. They were my wingman and I was in return theirs. The hardest part of the job would have to be learning how to troubleshoot fault codes found while testing engines in the test cell. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the experience, the traveling, and meeting so many great people.
Pros
Benefits, travel, life experiences
Cons
Deploying to the desert.
Excellent Career Choice
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MANovember 24, 2015
This is the best decision I've ever made for myself. The work we do saves lives as these aircraft often aid in rescue missions and the preservation of human life. The men and women I serve with are like family. We are dedicated professionals who do not hesitate to do what needs to be accomplished to achieve the mission.

The benefits I've received have been beyond measure. In particular the education I've been able to receive. I was able to attain a B.S. in Physics with Pre-Med, and I still have enough benefits left over to attain a Master's Degree.

I would recommend this career to anyone who wants to improve themselves and make the world a better place.
Is better than expected
Cyber Transport Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 29, 2016
Management works hard to create a great learning environment for younger airman. The harder you work the more potential for growth you have. A very "you get what you put in" attitude.
Benefits
Fast-paced, interactive with peers and patients
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXMarch 17, 2016
Throughout the day I would greet patients, checking in, scheduling appointments, creating appointment templates for providers, administration, filing records, and patient care.
I learned what it means to rely on your co-workers and work together to make sure the mission would get accomplished.
Our management was very attentive and confident that we would correctly handle patients to the best of our ability and if help was needed we knew where and who to ask for guidance.
The most difficult part of my job was maintaining programs, balancing patient care and outreach for the installation.
The most enjoyable part at my job was working next to the doctors knowing we were helping our patients and getting them all the help they need.
Pros
pot-luck events, celebrating peers birthdays and dinner events
Cons
On-call phone, late or work through lunches
The United States Air Force is an incredible place to work.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 15, 2016
I highly encourage as many people as possible consider an early career within the Department of Defense. Life within the Department of Defense allows for benefits and opportunities that are unmatched by many civilians organizations.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Deployments
Good Place To Learn Something
Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 10, 2015
Every morning started with morning notes, good to know information concerning the mission for the most part. Everyday was about beating the week, a list of inspections and maintenance repairs that we had to comply with. Everyone did their part to get it done as quickly as possible, while following all the rules of course. A job wasn't done if it wasn't done in compliance with the manual. All work was double checked by floor supervisors. Management did their best to reward us when we did beat the week, but it's a numbers game at the end of the day. The week is simply reset as soon as we're done. All my co-workers eventually felt like a second family, even the new ones. Hardest part of the job was training, on both sides. Being trained meant chasing someone who had too much on their plate answering maintenance demands, training someone meant making sure they didn't get lost following you. The most enjoyable part was getting ahead of inspection tables, knowing we had two weeks cushion to slow down and train newcomers.
Pros
Benefits, promotion, raise, travel
Cons
Budget was small
Amazing.
Geospatial Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Beale AFB, CADecember 17, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of me working with a pretty big team to get a specific job done. I honestly can say i learned a lot from the Air Force and the experiences I have had there are going to help me move forward in life. The hardest part of my job was probably was getting the team to speak one work language. We had people from all over the world and it was difficult at first to understand each others mannerisms and such.
Pros
Benefits, Job security, Travel
Cons
Apart from family.
Usaf
Planning and Response operations Section Lead (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTDecember 22, 2015
Great Launching point for your life if you need the experience and want to travel, benefits are hands down the best, but it goes with the politics and the boxes you have to check, along with the hard work you put in for promotion.

Want to know more about U.S. Air Force?

Ask a question
Demanding and Rewarding organization
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, IDFebruary 17, 2016
Excellent travel opportunities with advanced, leadership programs, benefits, and an opportunity to make a difference. If you want a challenging and rewarding career, or to gain valuable skills to enhance your future career path, the Air Force is the perfect place.
Air Force Life
Signals Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 22, 2015
My time in the Air Force was bitter-sweet, however overall, I loved it. Great opportunities to learn and skill and travel the world. As long as your "Paper work" is handled correctly, benefits are awesome as well. It was difficult balancing Air Force life with personal life, however, you adjust eventually. Stress is a very real thing a lot of GI's deal with. Once managed, you can conquer many military task.
Pros
Job security, benifits, travel, great life relationships
Cons
travel too much, deployments, personal time, restrictions
The air force
Lead Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moody AFB, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Long hours everyday, terrible management, no trust in unit leadership. Lack of travel/bases. Lack of advancement. Education and job security are the biggest pro's.
Corporate with camouflage
Aerospace Maintenance Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Fairchild AFB, WAJanuary 13, 2016
The benefits are good and the job is entirely what you make of it. Being away from family can be a challenge and the long hours drag on. There's plenty of good people to help make the time more enjoyable. It has, however, become an organization that can't decide if it wants to be a corporate business or a military force. Too many constant changes implemented for the sake of looking good on paper for the next rank.
World Wide Expereince
Warehouse Custodian (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARJanuary 5, 2016
Work life can vary depending on the current global climate of peace. Shifts can be assigned over a twenty-four hour time span and usually ranges from eight to twelve hours with rotating weekends depending on your assigned career field. And while the work environment can at times be stressful and stringent, it provides the perfect atmosphere to challenge yourself in career knowledge and personal growth as an individual. Co-workers vary in personalities and talents which further stretches your ability to communicate and develop group dynamics. The hardest part of this industry is being open to the idea of sudden and unexpected change. You may have been hired to perform one job, but military life does not prevent you from being tasked to perform new lines of work outside of your normal duties. And the best part of working for the military for me is the job security. I know that as long as I give each day my best and maintain the standards which have been set in place for me; I can continue to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. You may not get monetarily rich but you will have your life enriched by experiences of a lifetime.
Pros
healthcare, job security
Cons
slow advancement
Educational and exciting during deployment missions
Comm/Nav (Former Employee) –  McGuire AFB, NJMarch 9, 2016
-Typical work day would include turn over of jobs from previous shift followed by real life/training exercise missions for that shift.
-I learned how to manage as well as the job itself, but learning was a everyday thing and there was much more to learn.
-Management was on top of their game and they had to be for the mission to be successful.
-co-workers were fun to work with, knowledgeable and made the day go by quicker.
-Hardest part of the job was completing a job on a airplane that had to take off for a mission ASAP. The pressure was exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time.
-Getting the airplane up in the air and on time was the most enjoyable and knowing you just helped out to complete the mission.
Rapidly changing environment
Computer Network Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cannon AFB, NMMarch 17, 2016
It's difficult to describe the typical work day in the Air Force because it depends on many factors: your location, your specialty, your rank and the unit you are assigned to. In my experience as a Communications airman, the workflow is constant. There are many responsibilities at every level. There are many opportunities to learn and master your skill.

The benefits of serving in the military are very generous. Benefits range from free healthcare for myself and my family, to 100% tuition assistance for college.
Pros
Serving our country, free healthcare, college tuition assistance
Cons
Time away from family, little control over location, potentially long work hours
Knowledge Operations Manager
Knowledge Operations Management (Former Employee) –  Holloman AFB, NMMarch 2, 2016
An interesting administrative position where a community based environment serviced an entire military base and its mission. A typical day consisted of in-procesing new members to our specific operations division. Managing assigned programs such as Emergency Managment and Land & Mobile Radios. During this time I experienced a great amount of personal growth learning how to effectively communicate with others to be able complete the mission. With a strong hierarchical management style with precise guidelines to meet goals and maintaining military standards. One of the difficult parts of the job was being away from your family support system. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet people from all around the country.
Pros
Healthcare, Retirement
Cons
Relocations was mandatory
The Air Force is a great starting place for those looking for a career
Flight Chief (Current Employee) –  Robins AFB GeorgiaAugust 28, 2015
I typical day at work consists of managing a flight of 63 security police members providing installation security and patrol operations for over 26,000 workforce.

I have learned to adapt to an ever changing workplace and to be flexible (if applicable) when working when others.

My management style is both firm and persuasive when required and mentoring and supporting when needed.

My co-workers are from all walks of life, some better than others; however, all have the desire to learn and progress in their career.

Adapting to the constant change of leadership as each command wants something different done with the unit.

Teaching and working with people knowing we have a significant role in the protection or people and assets.
Pros
Benefits are difficult to beat
Cons
Longer hours whis is most often required
Can be one of the greatest organizations you ever worked for
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2015
The Air Force can be great with the right leadership in place. Great benefits and advancement opportunities in place to help develop airman. The Air Force's system is structured for airmen to succeed; however, unfortunately, management plays a big role in how the system is operated. The Air Force has gotten away from leadership, mentoring, and development of young airmen and instead expect new hires to be "plug in play" with minimal training and experience. Overall, I'd recommend this organization to anyone because the cons are similar to cons shared across all jobs in corporate America.
Pros
Great Advancement and compensation/benefits
Cons
fast paced high attrition with minimal succession planning

4.6