U.S. Air Force
6,309 reviews

U.S. Air Force Employer Reviews

Air Force
Security Patrolman (Current Employee), Clovis, NMDecember 11, 2014
I loved the Air Force, gave them everything for 10 years. Train hard, work hard, play hard, its hard work but someone has to do it.
The best job ever
Maintenance Mechanic and Clerk (Former Employee), March AFB, CADecember 11, 2014
Pros: free benefits for life for my self and family
Cons: always away from family
Learned different skills, knowledge and abilities. Received free educations and trainings. Visited many places around the world.
Challenging
Personnel Manager (Former Employee), Buckley AFB, CODecember 11, 2014
Limited resources, but the ultimate take-away was I was able to truly help so many in need. That part was extremely rewarding.
Awesome career with lots of training
Structural Craftsman (Former Employee), Minot AFB, NDDecember 11, 2014
Good opportunity to see the world and get an education at the same time!
A multi-faceted career with many benefits other than just monetary
Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Maxwell AFB, ALDecember 10, 2014
Pros: paid college tuition, benefits, healthcare
Cons: physical demands, reduction in forces... had initially planned on retiring from the military
A typical day in my career field could be anything from paperwork and data entry, driving forklifts and 40 ft tractor-trailers to participating as a member of the base honor guard team performing military funerals all over Alabama or posting the Colors on the pitchers mound at Atlanta Braves baseball games for pre-game ceremonies. I learned so many – more... things such as being a member of a great brotherhood/sisterhood. I was even afforded opportunities to train some of my supervisors even though they outranked me because I had the skills of on-the-job experience. The hardest part of the job was the physical demands placed upon me. The most enjoyable part of the job was paying respects to our nations flag and to family of deceased service members and veterans. – less
Fast paced but diverse in experience
health services management (Former Employee), Whiteman AFB, MODecember 10, 2014
Pros: guaranteed paycheck and benefits, lunch guaranteed for the most part, most supervisors understanding of life circumstances
Cons: no break, stressful at times, no opportunities for a second job, hard to advance
My days at work were good for the most part. I dealt with the healthcare of pilots and their families so at times people were a little bit pushy but we did our best within reason to accommodate their needs. My coworkers were awesome and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was trying to scrub new patients medical records all while constantly – more... dealing with patients urgent acute medical needs due to being undermanned the majority of my job which caused inflexibility a lot of the time. The best part of the job was working with and getting to build relationships with many others within the military community. – less
great experience
PMEL Technician (Former Employee), world wideDecember 10, 2014
Got some great experiences here, excellent benefits, pay not very good, had lots of fun in the Air Force, I recommend everyone to join a branch of the service
FIRE PROTECTION
FIRE PROTECTION (Former Employee), Davis-Monthan AFB, AZDecember 10, 2014
Pros: the job
Cons: always working
Great job great benefits , whats not to like about it helping people and driving crash trucks. Its a brotherhood no other job like it in the world everyday is different. Some stations work 24 on 24 off shifts with a kelly day every other week.Some work 48 on 72 off just depends on the station.
High stress higher rewards active life style!
Aircraft Maintenance (Former Employee), Holloman AFB NMDecember 9, 2014
Pros: they make you the best at what you do
Cons: its only as good as you make it
I loved the Air Force, gave them everything for 10 years, do to an unwelcome life event i am no longer able to serve and that hurts. But i would do it all over again. Train hard, work hard, play hard, its hard work but someone has to do it. Some days you think "why am i hear" and the next you launch an F-16 with full munitions and see it come back empty, – more... brings a tear of joy to your eye. – less
A fast paced work enviorment with great travel options
Administrative Manager (Current Employee), Grand Forks, NDDecember 9, 2014
Pros: world travel
Cons: world travel
This job gives you the chance to travel to exotic locations and it teaches you to be very adaptable to any work enviroment. You never have the same co-workers for long but you know whoever you get put with that they have you back... literally. They teach you how to lead instead of just follow. They also have great benefits.
Great career afforded me many great training opportunities
Department Head of Fuels Mobile Distribution (Former Employee), Eielson AFB AlaskaDecember 9, 2014
Pros: learning, teaching, traveling the world.
Cons: being away from family alot
I had a great Air Force Career in Fuels Management. I was active duty for 19 years 3 months. I have been medically discharged, and am now a disabled Veteran.
Fast paced and challenging work environment
MQ-1B Predator Sensor Operator (Current Employee), Clovis, NMDecember 9, 2014
Pros: high level of job satisfaction, two week rnr twice a year.
Cons: unable to attain a circadian rhythm due to shift change. long work hours.
Typical day CONUS: Show to work a half hour early to check emails and flight currencies. Proceed to secured area for pre mission brief. After brief step to ground control station for swap out brief. Swap out previous sensor operator and fly an eight to twelve hour sortie broken up by every two hours having a five to ten minute break.

Typical day OCONUS: – more... Show to work fifteen minutes early for shift change brief. Throughout my shift launch and land aircraft as needed.

What I learned: Knowledge of KU and C band data link operations, in depth knowledge of the AN/AAS 52 multispectral targeting system (MTS), and other associated MQ-1b systems

Co-workers: Each shift is like a family. If something came up where you were either physically or mentally not good to operate, you did not fly. Instead someone would take your place until you felt as if you were up to it.

Hardest part: Changing shifts every four weeks and occasionally, when situation dictated, changing shifts three or more times within a four week period.

Most enjoyable: Doing the job both stateside and deployed. Operating my camera and getting to work with very memorable pilots – less
Rewarding job working in the military
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Langley AFB, VADecember 9, 2014
This was a very rewarding job. Serving my country has always been an honor. I have always been a people person so customer service or anything admin has been fun for me. I have learned time management, being professional, and getting the job done in an efficient and timely manner.
A career in the USAF is an incredible life adventure to discover your true potential!
DEPUTY BRANCH CHIEF (Former Employee), FL, Iceland, UK, MT, AL, Middle East, OH, & TXDecember 9, 2014
Pros: heathcare, comraderie, promotion opportunities, college tuition, financial compensation, 30 days vacation/year, travel, challenge, and excitement
Cons: occasional time away from family, operations tempo can be "high" depending on job. society's perception of the military.
A day at work in the USAF varies significantly with the career you have the opportunity to pursue. Depending on the job, job tempo also fluctuates, especially when deployed overseas and/or during conflict. If you don't learn to serve more than yourself, you will have a hard time assimilating to the USAF core values: Integrity First, Service Before Self, – more... and Excellence in Everything! The USAF recently has also adopted the core value: Respect for Human Dignity which translates into a "zero tolerance" for inappropriate discrimination in our military.

Serving my country in the USAF as afforded me the opportunity to serve with so many different personalities, races, and cultures other than my own. I have had the honor of working with so many different people. This variance in my life as allowed me to reflect on how I can better myself by improving on my self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and reducing ethnocentric ideologies. This all leads to professional improvement and the ability to lead and manage people effectively and efficiently.

From a management perspective, I always lean toward a style of leadership that inspires and motivates, cares about others, sets the example, and encourages creativity and innovation. Sure, leaders need to use leverage sometimes to get the job completed (e.g., contingent reward, carrot & stick, etc.), but I believe it is having a balanced approach to leadership that allows you and others to grow.

This balance approach to leadership is especially helpful when working with peers. It is important to be considerate of others and not over bearing; especially when working in peer groups such as process action teams, think tanks, etc.

The hardest part of the USAF are the long hours when preparing to go to war or participate in global conflicts and/or humanitarian aid efforts. When you are serving your country, you are on the job twenty-four/seven! Being away from your loved ones can also be hard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the results of your hard work and the positive impact it has on people and the world in general. For example, teaching young Iraqi cadets to become officers of character during Operation Iraqi Freedom, delivering aid for a humanitarian effort like Provide Comfort in Kuwait, or relief efforts in Haiti or Louisiana after the hurricanes...just doing things you wouldn't imagine in the corporate world! Overall, the USAF experience for most who make it a career is an outstanding opportunity! – less
High stress level, yet enjoyable, workplace
Operations Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee), Trenton, NJDecember 9, 2014
Pros: networking, great food, great people
A day in the life of a Senior Airman in the USAF. Arrive at the office and immediately begin to forward all voicemail messages to the correct personnel. Next, begin to sort through the previous days paperwork handed in the night before. Finish making all necessary phone calls and answering all important emails. Make way to business floor and make sure – more... business is running smoothly. Manage, address customer concerns, maintain quality of equipment, safety, etc. The military offers countless learning opportunities. They gave me all the tools to manage in a high stress work environment. – less
military life
Signal (IT) officer (Former Employee), world wideDecember 9, 2014
work four day on three day off
i was allow work on duty
alot activity for family
High Expectations and Work Load
Plans and Programs Analyst (Former Employee), Keesler AFB, MSDecember 8, 2014
Pros: heavily involved in all aspects of the installation. very rewarding job.
Cons: high mission requirement limited compensation time for work.
The Plans and Programs Office was highly involved in many areas across the installation. Our office worked many special projects and we worked many extended hours to ensure the mission was complete, reports were well written and all the documentation was complete. The days were busy and when a man-made or natural disaster occurred, the day became busier – more... because we are the focal point for the installation commander. – less
United States Air Force
Radio Systems Communications - Lead (Former Employee), Whiteman AFB, MODecember 8, 2014
My Co- workers and I would put together equipment kits that would assist pilots in their day to day operation. Worked random hours. We would also make sure that all of our equipment was up to date and working properly.
Room for growth, had ample opportunites for improvement
Customer Service Professional / Operations Manager (Former Employee), Rapid City, SDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: morale, traveling
Cons: on call 24/7
The Air Force had amazing benefits and gave me many opportunities to travel the world and meet new people.
With my specific job I was able to learn and excel at all Microsoft programs.
The hardest part for me were the deployments.it is definitely hard to be away from family for 6-8 months at a time.
2A871E - Comm/Nav/Mission Systems
Integrated Anionics Systems Craftsman (Former Employee), United StatesDecember 8, 2014
Pros: good health benefits, teamwork, espirit de corps, sense of purpose
Cons: deployments, long hours, pay
It was a good experience overall and was definitely worth the years I spent on active duty. It is tough sometimes and if you are not used to doing what you are told without always knowing all the reasons then it can make it even harder. I speak from experience on this one.

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more