U.S. Air Force
7,065 reviews

U.S. Air Force Employer Reviews

It's the military. No one said it would be easy.
Aerospace Maintenance Crew Chief (Former Employee), Cannon AFB, NMMarch 21, 2015
Pros: great health care and benifits
Cons: long hours treated like dirt sometimes
A typical day of work for me was fixing airplanes. You get yelled at a lot but it is the military and working on the flightline is a high stress and high tempo job.

Some of the bosses where horrible like the guys that got picked on in high school and got some power and pick on everyone just because they can now. Others where amazing.

Hardest part was being punished for other peoples mistakes but once again its the military.
Air Force is a great way of life
Law Enforcement Specialist (E-4) (Former Employee), Nellis AFB, NVMarch 21, 2015
Pros: housing and meals provided
Cons: not much pay, but with the healthcare and housing paid, who cares?!
I traveled all over the world supporting the mission of the US Air Force. It was a great way of life and I should have stayed in for 20+ years.
Great life experience
Aero Space Fuels Technician (Current Employee), Charleston SCMarch 21, 2015
Each day was filled with rewards. everyday was not always the same. felt working towards something bigger then self. apart of a great team
Discipline is the key to be successful here, and the rest is unsupervised
BMT / Supply Mgt. Journeyman (Former Employee), Lackland AFB, Texas & McChord AFB, WashingtonMarch 21, 2015
Pros: free food, free drinks, free sight-seeing and free bus rides
Cons: t.i.s are tough as iron nails, they will hammer you for real...if you make a mistake, then you will be punished by the t.i.s. they are very, very, seriously strict about code of conduct & dress-codes inside & outside the base...
At first, discipline is being reinforced. I have discipline. But, a typical day at work, most T.I. always tell you what to do...mostly, by yelling at your ears...

After that, most T.I. give you more freedom through PHASE periods.

I've learned most, here, is to overcome lots of physical conditioning & Obstacle / Confidence Courses. Otherwise, you failed...

The management are REALLY STRICT, in dress codes & code of conduct under their supervisions...

My co-workers are mostly coming from all walks of life, but mostly are young High School graduates, mostly from U.S.

The hardest of this job, in U.S. Air Force, is that the Commander in Chain-of-Command (who is a bit racist & discriminatory) FAILED to provide me my SECURITY CLEARANCE I really needed to perform my job satisfactorily.

I did enjoy eating FREE FOOD, FREE BUS RIDES, FREE SIGHT SEEING, and FREE DRINKS inside the Dining Facility of the base, after my 5AM-5PM duty though. Also, I did enjoy sight seeing outside of the base (with or without my fellow co-workers, or I'm just by myself) such as the mall, restaurants, or shopping centers.
Amazing professional work place, a great place to grow and develop.
Cable and Antenna Systems Apprentice Technician (Current Employee), NewburghMarch 20, 2015
I first entered with experience in skilled trades.I was trained and able to combine my prior experience with my current experience. Management observe and bolster the drive to grow and develop. I enjoy learning from the veterans' experiences when they deployed and what the experienced on the job.
Serving your country!
Manager of Logistics (Former Employee), abroadMarch 20, 2015
A career in logistics means you'll identify shortfalls and develop crisis action procedures in conjunction with other employed organizations. In short, you'll be the one outlining how the Air Force accomplishes the impossible.
A great opportunity to travel the world and meet different people and cultures
NCOIC, Base Administration (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: advancement
Cons: didn't have any
My jobs in the Air Force varied, with the space center being my last job before retiring. I enjoyed working with computers, I loved my mission with the space center. It was very interesting and very challenging. I love to interact with people more than anything. It was just a joy to be a part of the Armed Forces. I loved the travelling more than anything, going to the different countries.
learned how to be a responsible adult
Illustrator / Information Specialist (Former Employee), OK, TX, Okinawa, PhillipinesMarch 20, 2015
For the first time in my life I was away from home and travelled the world. It was an experience that helped shaped my life in positive ways. I was Airman of the Month, a contributing member of a staff, and glad to be part of it all. I left to pursue a college education.
What can i say
Airman Basic (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2015
It's the military, What can i say? It was good while I was in it. Nothing much to complain about. Low pay though. Don't have much else.
Good Place to Learn Skills and Obtain Experience
Special Investigations Agent (Former Employee), Vandenberg AFB, CAMarch 20, 2015
Good Place to Learn Skills and Obtain Experience

There are varying work shifts for different job designators and career tracks. I learned Management, Information Management, Munitions Systems, and Special Investigations.
Fun place to work. Objectives were always clear
Information Operations Strategist (Former Employee), Offutt AFB, NEMarch 20, 2015
It was easy to define our successes and reach our goals. Management feedback was often (good or bad). The group had a cohesion like no other.
Overall a great career with awesome benefits
Manager (Former Employee), Valdosta, GAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: great pay and life time of benefits
Cons: deployments
An average day in the Air Force can easily turn into a 12 hour shift at the Management level. Especially if you have not learned to delegate work! I was bad at "hogging" work assigned to my section because I wanted it done correctly. But I learned that by doing so I was stopping the growth of those underneath me and causing myself to work unnecessary long hours. If you have good Senior leadership they will take care of you. But there are some who only worry about accomplishing the mission and any cost to include morale. The hardest part about the Air Force would be deployments because you are away from your family for so long. It is a place where if you want to "see the world" they will help you to do it! Living overseas is definitely an experience that everyone should do. It gives you a better appreciation for what you do have as well as clears up cultural misconceptions. I've been to at least six countries with my family and twice as many alone while serving in the USAF. I would recommend it to anyone whether single or married! But if you choose to live overseas be prepared to move every 3 to 4 years!
I enjoyed my job.
Wideband Communication Technician U>S>Air Force (Former Employee), to many to listMarch 20, 2015
Pros: the education, the verity of systems i worked on, and the travel.
Cons: cost me my marriage.
Maintained Microwave systems, in mos cases down to component level.

Electronics, leadership skills,and various systems and equipment (too many to list).

Some good some bad

I worked with over 200 people in twelve tears I got along wit 90 percent, can't please everyone.

I was placed in an advances class in Tech School, all I learned was Ohms law, the rest I learned on the job.

My job had a high divorce rate, it cost me my marriage.

The travel. Station twice in Turkey, once in the Philippines and temporary duty in several others..
Aerospace position
Journeyman (Former Employee), Luke AFB, AZMarch 20, 2015
Pros: requires using critical thinking skills
Cons: requires alot of travel and time away from family
• Prepared used engine lubrication oil and other fluids for spectrometric oil analysis and evaluated results
• Monitored radiation area during radiographic procedures to inspect internal aircraft assemblies and equipment
• Instinctive structural analysis and ability to identify weaknesses avoid incidents and protect the safety of equipment and personnel.
• Calibrate Nondestructive Test equipment
• Conduct tests to ensure quality/detect discontinuities /flaws in aircraft structures, engines and support equipment and record results of inspections
• Establish techniques for proper examination of objects under inspection, ensuring strict adherence to safety regulations
• Prevented loss of engine, saved $3.2 M by identifying a cracked inlet guide vane
Challenging and rewarding, good for a career or a leg up in life
Language Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Gordon, GAMarch 20, 2015
Enlisting in the Air Force will change your life for the better. Period. I don't know where I would be right now if not for my 6 years in the Air Force. Whether you decide to make the Air Force your career or return to civilian life, it will be worth your while.
A great learning experience and builds good character and good work ethic
Storeroom Technician (Former Employee), Anchorage AKMarch 20, 2015
A good job and work experience. Learned a lot about the military system and teaches individuals more responsibility. Hardest part of the job was having people who were book smart but not job smart in charge and made for harder work environments.
Constrained by a culture of risk aversion
Fighter Pilot (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2015
My time in the Air Force has been very rewarding. The day to day life in a fighter squadron is challenging, uplifting, and fun. When looking up the chain of command, however, it is apparent that the "Big Blue" USAF is badly constrained by a culture of ever-expanding rule books, strict compliance to fault, and risk aversion. If General Welsh can't fix it, who can?
Loved it
Network Administrator/Engineer (Former Employee), Abilene, TXMarch 19, 2015
USAF - helped me grow as a young man. I was in charge of a $35M aircraft. Traveled all over the world and had a great learning experience. Tough on family life.
Highly productive team with a family-like culture
GCCS System Administrator (Current Employee), Scott AFB, ILMarch 19, 2015
A typical day at work is very detailed oriented. A list of task are required to be done throughout the day in order to maintain system functionality. I learned that hard work definitely comes with rewards and that there can be a productive balance of work and fun in the workplace. Management is extremely helpful and professional. Co-workers work very well and diligently to accomplish every task at hand. The most challenging part of the job can come in finding enough time to balance all of the required responsibilities, but with excellent teamwork and great leadership, all tasks were completed in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part is seeing the success that comes along with the work effort and rich culture in the workplace.
The Best!!
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2015
Top of the class organization, great people, great attitudes, great benefits. Long hours on some days is the only bad thing I can think of.

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more

U.S. Air Force Salaries