U.S. Air Force
7,405 reviews

U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Life Changing Career
Instructor and Production/Scheduler (Former Employee), Tinker AFB, OKMay 11, 2015
Pros: Education, Travel, Career
Cons: Time away from family
I was 23 when I entered the AF and it made me the man I am today! I loved the travel, the people, the work, and the education. The time away from loved ones would be a down side and the promotion process is great for "testers" but not necessarily the right person for the job!
Fun place to work
Functional Manager/Evaluator Loadmaster (Current Employee), Hurlburt Field, FLMay 11, 2015
The work environment is a tight knit group of people with the common goal of accomplishing any mission. The skills learned in this job will stay with your forever.
Great Opportunities, Fast paced
Mechanic (Former Employee), Dover, DEMay 10, 2015
Best part of the job was the traveling, I got to travel the world and see all sorts of things. The Air Force is very structured and a great place to grow up in. They're very supportive of family and value that characteristic.
review
Journeyman Painter, WG (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAMay 9, 2015
Pros: fighting for my country
Cons: nothing
I enjoyed traveling and seeing the world I loved seeing new things and learning new things. I loved doing a service for my country. I was giving the privledge to work amoung other airmen
Best 21 years of my life so far!
Non-Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), Various LocationsMay 9, 2015
Outstanding in every way. Whatever you put in, you will get back tenfold. Great people, great assignments. A lot of hard, challenging and rewarding work. I would do it all again.
Amazing Airline with special abilities
Tacitical Arifcraft Maintenance (Former Employee), JPIMay 9, 2015
Pros: retirment plans, TDY/travel, health care
Cons: Short breaks
An amazing place to work. You'll gain a plethora of knowledge from this career field in aviation. This is no ordinary job though. You will be working on the most sophisticated aircraft the United States has to offer. Each day will bring something new, many opportunities to travel around the globe and best of all this job has great benefits. All you need is a want to learn, a fascination with jets, small mechanical aptitude and your be living the dream. For those who work hard, it will show and you will be acknowledged for your accomplishments and dedication.
Air Force
Electrician (Former Employee), FLMay 9, 2015
6 years in the Air Force and it was great but just not what i wanted to do for 20 years. I was an electrician that work on air fields and also did residential work and maintained all electrical on the base i was at.
Great; this is where I honed my skills as an X-ray Tech
Diagnostic Imaging Tech (Former Employee), Keesler AFB, MSMay 8, 2015
Pros: as mentioned above
Cons: None
This facility is a great teaching hospital. It's where I became a well-rounded Radiology Tech. I operated various imaging machines as well as other technological devices, performed CT procedures, OR support exams, Emergency and trauma radiography, and precepted clinical procedures to Diagnostic Imaging students. A pretty excellent environment for a young X-ray tech.
fun workplace
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Dayton, OHMay 8, 2015
Pros: fun projects to work on, experienced professionals around
Cons: none
It was nice working there. I learned that organization is important in the work place and that attitude and motivation matter.
Loved it
Dental Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 8, 2015
Pros: Good pay and training.
Cons: Poor management sometimes
Good experience overall, gave me a lot of life lessons in a very small amount of time. Seems to punish individual thinkers though, squashing something that makes our military unique in the process.
Challenging and rewarding experience
Specialist Section Chief (Division Manager) (Current Employee), Nellis AFB, NVMay 8, 2015
I learned a lot of very unique skills during my time in the service. It was a very challenging job but the rewards and experiences were well worth it.
Great position
Program Manager (Former Employee), Tinker AFB, OKMay 8, 2015
Superintendent in case of a large maintenance operation. I am searching for a management position in the area of logistics, supply, inventory or acquisition.
Part of serving and protecting the nation
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), worldwideMay 8, 2015
The overall mission of the USAF is to provide for the safety and protection of the United States. Every day is a different experience.
Memorable Air Force career
Senior Master Sergeant (Former Employee), Tinker AFB< OKMay 8, 2015
Pros: Adventure, service, camaraderie, stability, pay, benefits
Cons: Short notice travel, potential danger, missed life opportunities
I served the USAF for 21 years. It's not feasible to review a lengthy military career in terms that those not serving can relate to. However, I was proud to have been a combat aviator and to have participated in so many operations over my 21 year career.

The USAF invests a great deal in the professional growth of both its enlisted and officer corps. Nearly every Captain has a Master's degree and most enlisted members have some college with many completing associate's degrees and bachelor's degrees during their careers.

Initially when enlisting, a member's focus is their primary duty/career field supporting the Air Force mission. However, by their 4 year mark, they have generally been to their first of 3 leadership schools and by their 10 year mark have developed a significant amount of leadership/management skills.

The public is under the impression that enlisted pay is poor, but after 3 years of service, most enlisted are making about $40,000 per year without college which is close to the national HOUSEHOLD median income of $51 as of 2014. The benefits are outstanding too with medical, dental, GI Bill, travel to far off places, etc.

The drawbacks are weeks and months spent away from friends and family, cancelled vacations, weddings, etc. to go fight in conflicts, and a very bureaucratic structure. However, as Louis Zamperini professed, "If you can take it, you can make it."

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing.
a secure source of income and resources for personal development.
Aircraft Hydraulic Systems Craftsman (Former Employee), Bossier City, LAMay 8, 2015
Pros: traveling, military discounts, lower interest rates on certain purchases
Cons: undetermined work hours, chance of earning below minimum wage (long ours, low base pay))
you show up 15 mins prior to scheduled shift. You do your job (and possibly other peoples job too) and most likely will stay beyond scheduled shift. you learn how to deal with different culture and personalities of people you work with and work for. Hardest part of the job is understanding the decisions that are made. especially when hose decisions are made by individuals that cannot relate to your situation (supervisor with no children wondering why you need to leave work early to pick them up from daycare). The most enjoyable is knowing that you are taken care of if any medical issues occur and that you have money coming, no matter what the amount, its coming! sometimes you also work with people that you will form a tight bond with and those can relationships last a long time. Traveling is always a positive also.
Productive workplace and fun environment
Chief Enlisted Manager, LRS (Current Employee), Eglin AFB, FLMay 7, 2015
A typical day is not two days is the same. Its a high pace environment with a lot of stress. The ability to adapt to change is very important.
very productive work environment
Crew Chief (Current Employee), Trenton NJMay 7, 2015
there is no typical day at work everyday its something new. i learn new things every day about the aircraft i work on,management is a big help with making sure our tasks are done and complete, and making sure that we know exactly what we are doing.id have to say the hardest part of this job is deploying and being away from my family. the most enjoyable part of my job is everything from changing a tire to inspecting the aircraft and making sure its ready for flight.
USAF
Security Forces Journeyman (Former Employee), New JerseyMay 7, 2015
Pros: Met amazing people, benefits, travel
Cons: Long hours, training, rank structure.
Work was typically a 12 hour shift.
Learned how to communicate with various cultures and backgrounds.
Gained managerial insight each and every day.
Hardest part was losing sleep and being required to eat military food.
Most enjoyable part was living in Korea.
Great Expereince, Even Better People
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Whiteman AFB, MOMay 7, 2015
Pros: Free gym
It was the best 20 years of my life. Travel, education, and experience that cannot be held up to any corporate standard. The skills that I had learned in the Air Force was like working for a high level Technical company. The typical day at work was ever changing and not at all monotonous!! You never knew what was going to happen from one day to the next, and that was exciting. Management skills were well rounded and used on a daily basis. The management that I worked for followed all guidelines and regulations, but were fair.
The hardest part of the job was the Operations tempo from time to time, especially in the nuclear world. Mostly, the hardest part was moving to another assignment after the camaraderie was made with other co-workers. These co-workers were the best to work with and kept the morale high and motivational. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the difference I made day in and day at from the Programs that I ran, to the people that I managed, and most importantly to the lives saved!!
Air Force
CTK Support Custodian - Tool Clerk (Former Employee), Knob Noster, MOMay 7, 2015
The Air force taught me to be independent, pay attention to detail, and the importance of time. I have no regrets with the Air Force.

About U.S. Air Force

The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the – Read more

U.S. Air Force Salaries