U.S. Air Force Employee Reviews

Found 12,380 reviews matching the search
The Air Force - Security Forces Member
Law Enforcement Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  South Korean, Italy, ArizonaFebruary 21, 2017
The military as a functioning organization is an awesome concept, awesome place to get training, and experience. It's principles are eloquently designed to help encourage and develop strong character and loads of integrity. Its the people that you encounter while serving that will make or break your experience.
Pros
Benefits, Trainning, Eperience, Life long Friends
Cons
Meeting members who forget their way
Overall a great experience
Aerospace Propulsion Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 21, 2016
I was an aircraft mechanic so getting the job done and the planes flying was of more importance than flawless uniforms, I learned a great deal, got to travel and see the world. I would recommend this job to anyone, it allows for a lot of personal growth and teaches you to shut up and color. this was worth all the downsides for the GI bill alone
Pros
the benefits during and after through the VA
Cons
you are 100% owned. you are government property
Great people, poor upper management.
Security Forces Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 27, 2016
Being in the Air Force was a great opportunity and has amazing benefits. The comradery amongst the people was strong and built great bonds over the years.Upper leadership was terrible, and lacked communication. Long hours, but a lot of down time with my family.
Pros
Healthcare, education, family time.
Cons
Long days, no overtime, horrible leadership.
A great career with plenty of opportunities
Interim Flight Chief/Section Chief (Former Employee) –  Dover AFB, DESeptember 14, 2016
The Air Force was the best decision I ever made. The Air Force trained me well, provided me and my family many benefits (health care, life insurance, promotions, travel opportunities, etc.). The work was rewarding and sometimes challenging. Through the USAF, I gained discipline, honed my written and verbal skills and developed my discipline.
Pros
Job security, benefits and a sense of belonging
Cons
Deployments (away from family) and (some) poor management
Met a lot of people and formed some bonds that are explainable.
Security Forces Member (Former Employee) –  Vandenberg AFB, CAOctober 19, 2016
Did a lot of dispatching, security, and police activities. I grew up a lot and became very mature and learned a lot on how to handle stress, long days, and balance my personal life with my professional life. The most enjoyable part was the people I worked with and deployed with. The hardest part was being away from family for months/weeks at a time for deployments and training in other states.
Pros
Free housing and great benefits.
Cons
Deployments and lack of family time; a lot of training and stressful conditions.
Aircraft Maintenance
Weapon Systems Controller (Current Employee) –  Offutt AFB, NESeptember 18, 2016
The Air Force is nothing without people to keep the planes flying. If the jets are not able to fly, then missions are not able to be flown, and lives cannot be saved.

If the Air Force paid more attention to how the aircraft maintainers are living, and are being treated, then they would not be 4,000 maintainers short (2016).

As far a job satisfaction, there is no comparison. The jet breaks. You fix it. It flies. Very simple concept yes, but to watch that jet you just put your time and hard work into actually fly to do it's mission, it's very stimulating.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement, Extra Pay.
Cons
Too many Yes Men, Bad Performance Report System, Do more with less attitude
Best job of my life
Medical Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAFebruary 17, 2017
I worked in a hospital Mon-Fri 7am-4pm. I worked in the medical logistics dept. I was responsible for ordering, receiving, storing, and distribution of all medical supplies and equipment for multiple different accounts during war time.
Pros
Benefits, promotions, discipline
Cons
tough on family, little say in movement and or job title
Productive! no nonsense job
Aircraft Weapons System Craftsman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seymour-Johnson AFB, NCDecember 8, 2016
Great overall work place and experience. Most days were busy, i learned a lot about management, leading and problem solving. My coworkers were relaxed, get the job done type people. The hardest part of my job was battling the elements outside everyday. Id have to say the brotherhood among the troops.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No set lunch breaks
Fast paced and enjoyable working enviornment
Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2016
There was adequate room for advancement. The people were great to work with. Many deployment opportunities. Dealing with management was sometimes a struggle.
Pros
Benifits and experience
Cons
Long hours and time
hard working, fast paced, challenging lifestyle, extreme benefit
Special Cargo Handler Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dover AFB, DEJanuary 15, 2017
My time in (over 6 years) gave me a sense of purpose, a drive, a strong sense of maturity, and an overall sense of duty to my self and more importantly the county. I am the man I am today because of my time in the Air Force, it has made me a better person and has changed my entire outlook on life.
Pros
pay, travel, benifits, GI Bill, etc
Cons
deployments, time away from family
A rewarding profession
Lead Production Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAJanuary 11, 2017
What can I say, I worked hard, played hard, got to travel around the world and met the greatest group of people ever. I worked my way up from a aircraft mechanic into a managerial position. After 27 years I retired with full benefits. I wish I could do it all over again.
Pros
meeting people
Productive and family oriented
Finance Technician (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJSeptember 21, 2016
While the finance field is production focused, our managers always made sure that everyone had time to take care of their family. Military members often relocate many times during their career, so its important to take care of the people who will always be with you no matter where you go.

During my time I gained extensive knowledge in compensation pay, cashiering, and customer service. Being committed to serving the customer is often difficult, but can be the most rewarding.
It's Military Life
Logistics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJSeptember 6, 2016
For the most part it's what you make of it. Of course with military life you sometimes have to roll with whatever is given to you. It's best to try and invest your energy into finding solutions and getting things taken care of.

Overall I would have to say that the military is great for helping people establish a sense of purpose, even with tasks that seem pointless or trivial. You will often find yourself in situations where you'll have to set differences aside and work with people to meet objectives.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes dealing with opinionated and biased people. Sometimes people with rank will make things hard for you and you just have to deal with it.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel opportunities you get while serving. You're likely to get to see places you'd otherwise probably never go to.
Pros
Life on base has its conveniences. Travel. Military benefits. Opportunities
Cons
Sometimes dealing with other people. Sometimes suffering for other peoples mistakes.
great place to work if you fit the culture
Enlisted Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJanuary 30, 2017
some of the people you meet are awesome people from different parts of the world, however some are not. Work hard play hard work culture. the hardest part of the job were the deployments.
Pros
benefits, pay, cultural diversity
Cons
deployments
Department of the Air Force
Aviation Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 28, 2017
Typical work day is 0700 - 1530.
Friendly and accommodating work environment.
Flexible schedule and great benefits.
Little room for advancement
Best part of the job is being a part of the Air Force mission
Travel opportunities
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Little room for advancement
Love the Air Force, want to pursuit civilian career
Aerospace Maintenance Craftsman (Current Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAFebruary 15, 2017
I love the Air Force and what I do. I want more of a stable home life and a career in the civilian world. The Air Force has done so much for me in the last six years. But it's time for me to separate and continue my life here in California.
Pros
Benefits, Paid time off, job security
Cons
Travel
It is the military and it is not for everyone.
Dedicated Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Randolph AFB, TXNovember 11, 2016
Very fast paced and demanding. Helps you build a great work ethic. A lot of places for advancement. Very physically demanding work periods. Can be mentally demanding at times too. If overseas, management changes a lot.
Pros
Great benefits, rewarding work, travel
Cons
Nothing if you want to serve your country
Beneficial for life advancement
Airmen first class (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 25, 2016
i learned a lot about management and leadership from the good examples, but mostly from the bad ones. keep your head on straight.live for your family and do your duty, and you might make some great friends the mutual oppression
Pros
meals are free in training, medical benefits, and educational
Cons
leadership and managements value of their lesser's in rank
Long hours, great benefits. reasonable pay
Logistics Superintendent/Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Pope AFB, NCFebruary 23, 2017
It was a great choice for me. I received great training, and had a stable life for me and my children with great benefits and reasonable pay. I deployed twice and spent my share of time away from my family with TDY's but all in all it was a great experience. Each job is different so the hours and time away from family are different depending upon the job.
Great Career
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seymour-Johnson AFB, NCJanuary 12, 2017
The USAF gave me an excellent opportunity to begin my profession at a young age, in a career field that may not have been otherwise obtainable without a college degree. The benefits and compensation have been wonderful, as well as the overall quality of life.
Pros
Healthcare, job security, compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6