U.S. Army Reserve Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,655 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun working environment
Chaplain Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work would have the results of a good nights sleep because you just had a 17 hour day of physical and mental labor.
You'd be doing push-ups, sit-ups, and leg raises all day. On top of that you'd be doing drills to learn best how to enter a building with armed enemies inside, arm crawling for 100' or so, Drill Sergants yelling at you and putting up with their mental games, and learning different ways how to disarm or put down the enemy.
The main thing I learned from the army, is even if it isn't specifically my fault; we are a team, and if one of us messes up, we all mess up.
Management was good but they skipped over some very important training.
My fellow comrades didn't get teamwork to the very end of our training, I guess they have learned the hard way on the battlefield.
The hardest part of the job for my comrades was forgetting themselves and thinking of the team. For me, it was taking orders without talking back or giving excuse of why I cant but I got over both of these quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was competing against other platoons or brigades and being most presentable then the others.
Pros
Allowance for religious practices on Sunday, free medical, Recreaction Day
Cons
selfish comrades, 10 min meals
Really secure employment, danger of getting attached.
Telecommunications and IT Specialist, GS (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 21, 2016
Typically, I come in with a plan and end up reacting to fire.
The experience one can gain is highly proprietary. Management is a mixed bag, but they rotate every three years. You may end up hating the bureaucracy, but also setting up some bureaucracy to protect yourself from overwork. Meet a very diverse group of people from all over the US, many of whom did not choose to move here.
Pros
Secure employment and benefits.
Cons
Bureaucracy.
Upper Management sucks
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee) –  verious locationsMarch 11, 2016
I believe the Army Reserve is coming to a very disorganized place to work. it is full of bullies and people that think they know everything when they don't. The army is getting rid of the wrong people for the wrong reasons. If higher management would take a serious look at themselves the would find that they have not had a perfect career either.
Pros
AGR
Cons
full of bullies and think they are gods gift to the army
Would not change my experience for the world!!!!!
Motor Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZNovember 2, 2015
I've never been in an environment where I have been pushed to excel in everything I do, all for something or someone that I have never met or encountered. Although the shenanigans are plentiful and the details can be perplexing, the experience have helped me gain skills that have made me become a very valuable person to any organization. Skills of flexibility, work place ethics, and effective leadership and communication for people of any race or culture (to name a few) are literally the "tip of the iceberg" when it comes to the things that I can bring to a team. The above mentioned is (aside from the discipline and combative nature the is embedded in every soldier) not even touching on the technical and tactical training that the military has invested in me concerning leadership, mechanics, and ethics.
Pros
Place in uncomfortable situations for growth, chances to lead, network will people from all backgrounds, exposure to different cultures
Cons
Long hours, salary pay, time at the bottom of the "totem pole", intellegience can be insulted at times
Don't be lazy, and do what you're told
Information Technician/System Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PADecember 16, 2015
There are so many things to be done in a typical Army day: cleaning weapons, working out, managing personnel and equipment, maintaining uniform and appearance according to regulations, classe after classes, etc. It is very easy to fall asleep in the Army. The best thing to do is get the job you will love to maintain motivation. The Army Reserve makes no time for you to work out except perhaps as a unit after the duty day is over. Active duty Army is better for exercise but is more strict regarding behavior.
Pros
Free stuff; benefits after service time; appreciation; job security
Cons
Many duties; much exercise; constant urine tests
US Army Reserves
Transportation Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAApril 4, 2016
I love the Army and enjoy being in the Reserves. I have been in for a year and a half and look forward to doing "Army stuff." I went to Ft Benning, GA for Basic and OCS and would go back and do it all over again if I could. Then I went to TBOLC at Ft. Lee, VA and would do that over again as well. My short career in the Army has been a dream come true for myself and I think that I have learned more in the past year and a half than I did in college and for 3 years working a civilian job. The Sergeants that have taught me have been a great blessing as well as the Officers that have mentored me. There is nothing like the camaraderie that is in the Army.
Pros
Training, the people
Cons
Negative attitudes from old soldiers
Productive and enjoyable
MAINTENANCE SERGEANT (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHMarch 26, 2016
The army is what you make it. I find it an enjoyable career choice, very challenging. Keeps me physically fit an focused on the mission at hand.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Standards that are unbiased
Cons
Away from family for long periods of time
Great place if you enjoy learning new things almost constantly.
Ammunition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDNovember 25, 2015
Typical position in the armed forces reserve, basic requirements take priority but perform group training in any down time that occurs.
Usual amount of red tape and politics for a government job, but not overbearing. Management changes often so learn from colleagues and superiors.
Pros
Benefits are still fair, good travel opportunities.
Cons
Work days sometimes get long (16+ hrs)
Love the life, The my family
92A Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLMarch 22, 2016
The typical day start with the sign then PT and then begins the days events such Tactical training classes with nine lines. From the whole are experience I learn how to relax a little but yet still hold a professional demeanor. The management in my unit are always on the move literally squaring away every little detail of and insuring that today assessment is completed the most effective way possible. There is not really hard about the job except, dealing with MREs but the best part is putting on that uniform, The high speed PT, Greet staff But leaves you wanting more....
Pros
Brotherhood, Safety, Local
Cons
Need more days, time the family
One of the hardest jobs in the world.....
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 12, 2015
As a Soldier, you learn real quick how to adapt and overcome. I truly enjoy being a Soldier. I have been with my company since the beginning of my career. They have quickly become my family. A typical day at my unit is running around trying to complete a months worth of paperwork in two days time and still have time to train on our vehicles. I think we have finally got a management team that is right on point. They seem to know their boundaries as far as what jobs they have. The hardest part of my job is leaving my children at home, missing holidays, special weekends, and birthdays. Overall, the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I can defend this country on a dime's notice. I truly love putting on my uniform and serving this great nation.
Pros
Pride, Respect
Cons
Leaving my family behind.
Great 10 years serving my Country
Captain/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 16, 2016
Overall, the Army has treated me and my family well. The biggest takeaways are; Time Management, Learn from everyone you come in contact with and apply that knowledge to your work environment, and never, never give up.
Pros
Ample opportunities for career progression
Cons
Requires a lot of time away from the family for missions/training
Fun place to be for the last 21 years.
US Army Military Police Instructor/Ops NCOIC (Current Employee) –  Various LocationsSeptember 7, 2015
With the US Army, there is no typical day at work. I've learned a lot about working as a member of a team, leading and following, public speaking and interacting with people of differing backgrounds. Management has changed numerous times over the years and really can't be praised or faulted, some better than others is all I can say. "Co-workers" come and go often, most have been why I stay in. The most difficult part of the job was learning to work as a member of a team. I was always involved in individual activities/sports where I relied on myself to win or not. The best part of the job has been the great training I've received and the people I've had the opportunity to know.
Pros
Good people, Great training, Increasing responsibility/leadership potential
Cons
Missing numerous family functions and birthdays.
Good company
Planner/Training (Major) (Former Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJMarch 25, 2016
A nice company to work for and this all hinges around the senior management that is in control. They have a nice 401K package that will match you to 7% and bonus at the end of the year.
Pros
Great 401K and bonus
Cons
depends upon the senior management
army
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 28, 2016
awesome experince meet new people go different places see different things, various job opportunities, great job stability as well as benefits and time off
Pros
stability, job security, different jobs
Cons
friends and family passing
Good Job
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAMarch 18, 2016
A typical day would start off with physical training in the morning. After that you will have time to shower and eat breakfast. the co-worker were amazing and helped me with any issue I had.
Pros
lunch, benefits
Cons
Good
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJMarch 15, 2016
Good benefits. Proud to serve. Glad I joined. Can not wait to continue my career. Got done training and it was helpful. I was not prepared to review the U.S. Army. Do not take the as a Real/Proper Reveiw.
Productive and honorable career choice
Ammunition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMarch 7, 2016
A typical day is a morning accountability formation with notes about the days mission followed by physical fitness training (PT). After PT is person hygiene and the start of the days mission which includes, ensuring equipment is operational, training exercises to ensure every soldier is ready to serve on any wartime operation, lunch, more training, and area beautification. After the days mission is complete a formation is called to put note out for the next days mission.
Pros
Healthcare, Education, and satisfaction
Cons
Few promotion slot, and travel is far
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood,TXSeptember 9, 2015
The Army is the most powerful and sophisticated military force in the world. Army Reserve allows you to pursue a civilian career or attend college full-time and still serve your community and country. You can live where you want, receive medical benefits, educational benefits, tuition assistance, and build for retirement. In other words, in the Army Reserve, you can continue your career or education while training close to home and standing ready to serve with your valuable job skills.
Pros
Cons
Benefits, Culture, Job Experience, Teaches Leader, And
Great job to retire to.
Specialist E4, Bravo Company (Former Employee) –  Gardner, MAFebruary 24, 2016
Daily life way very routine. Everything was the same every day.

I learned how to be a leader and how to follow instructions at a young age.

Management was astounding because they all started from the bottom and worked there way to the top, teaching others as they moved along.

The comradery was unparalleled. I made friends for life in the Army.

The hardest part was the lack of sleep and constant imminent danger.

The most enjoyable part of the job was keeping our country safe.
Pros
Food was great and consistent. long breaks, independence.
Cons
Poor pay and strain to the body.
Military Experience
Automated Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Windsor, COJanuary 18, 2016
- learned how to balance part time army life and civilian life
- two days per month from 630am to 730pm
- Management is good but not great
-Co-workers were okay
- Hardest part of the job is trusting people only for a short people of time
-enjoyable is health benefits
Pros
Health Benefits

4.5