U.S. Army Reserve Employee Reviews

Found 3,999 reviews matching the search
An excellent way to continue serving your country.
Perioperative Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2017
The Army Reserves is a great way to serve your country and find balance with a home life as well. We receive relevant trainings that applies to our job description in the Army and apply critical-thinking skills that help to ensure efficient patient care domestically and during deployments or humanitarian missions. The role in the Army Reserves is all about how you foresee career advancements and opportunities for leadership and command goals.
Pros
Excellent benefits, several opportunities for career advancement, and camaraderie among fellow soldiers.
Cons
Driving 2.5 hours to drill monthly can be disheartening.
Character building traits for a lifetime
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 30, 2017
The U.S. Army was an amazing experience. I learned countless things that helped to improve my personal characteristics and how I approached my everyday life. It helped mold me into a leader, someone who takes pride in their work and is able to motivate others to do the same, all to reach a common goal. It strengthened my accountability and work ethic. I am easily self-motivated and able to get the job done with little to no detailed instructions. The military taught me self-discipline, initiative, and perseverance.
Pros
Feeling of being part of something greater than yourself
Cons
Depend of the job is hard on family life
An adventure of a lifetime.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2017
I absolutely loved my 6 years in the Reserves. I met some amazing people and created some amazing memories. I had a great support system, I was kept busy always being sent to training in different states and I was always on orders helping others out. The hardest part of the job is giving it your all, all of the time and not just when it's needed. The military isn't quite what it use to be, but what I took from my 6 years spent will be memories I will never forget with skills I can take with me anywhere.
A great experience.
Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 17, 2017
The army reserves is a great experience. You get a chance during your initial entry training to experience active duty life, which was a blast for me. In the reserves it offers you a chance to be a solider part time and be a student full time as well. If you decide you want to go active after basic and AIT then you def can go to your chain of command and try and get an early release form filled out and approved to go active.
Pros
Benefits, Fun, Life Experiences, Meeting great people and leaders
Unproductive, bad for morale
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, MOFebruary 1, 2017
I enlisted in the Army Reserve for the education benefits. My advice: don't do it. Go active duty or enjoy life as a civilian. My initial training was an incredible, life changing event for me. Unfortunately I don't use very much of that training now that I drill monthly nor have I acquired any new skills since graduating in March of 2013. The hardest part is trying to look busy because there's nothing to do. In my experience, the US Army Reserve has been a waste of my time.
Pros
sense of community, looks good on a resume
Cons
low drill pay, inconvenient drill schedule, difficult for families, unproductive
Perfect for building experience and growth
Psychogical Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 26, 2017
One of the beneficial aspects of the reserve is the ability to build relevant and current professional experience. Though you are still in the Army, there is a lot of opportunity for professional growth and/or lateral movement to other fields.

Due to the nature of the Reserves you are exposed to many types of professionals with many years of experience in many disciplines.
Pros
Experience, comraderie
Cons
Part Time
Serve your Country and your Community with peace of mind
Team Leader and Physical Fitness Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZJanuary 29, 2017
The United States Army Reserves is a great factor in wanting to serve both your country and your community in applying real world scenarios to well over 150 Military Occupational Specialties that will Train, Lead, and Deliver you towards any objective presented. Great Benefits, Comradery and flexible Monthly scheduling ensures esprit de corps while balancing civilian life.
Proud to Serve
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 31, 2017
As a reserve soldier I carried out my responsibilities during the weekend, once a month. Within my military career I learned a substantial amount of life skills such as time management, organization, adaptation, and commitment to use working in the Government/Contracting field.

The most difficult part of the job was the initial shell shock of the environment. The most enjoyable part is the the overall experience and honor in serving our country.
Pros
Security and Outlets for growth
Cons
Productive and an unforgettable experience
Medical Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
My typical job day is to report to the hospital in the morning at around 7 A.M. and starts to start up the clinic, set up, etc. As patients come in at 8 A.M., we starts to screen patients, help the doctors, etc. The hardest part of the job would be going through all the trainings before actually coming in as a part of the army family. Everything after training are enjoyable.
Pros
Free healthcare, Free housing, Free School
Cons
Sleep
Great Job Try to get in Early
Lieutenant Colonel- Staff, Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 10, 2017
At State AGR position my be better because when they transfer you, you stay in state, while the USAR can assign you anywhere. I was medically retired and there is virtually no recourse. I complained nd fought against it to not avail....downside. Good side, great people, great opportunity, it's truly what you make of it.
Pros
Good Pay, plenty of advancement
Cons
sty of]n top of you professional education and physical fitnes scores....ot you could be out.
great decision
12 C Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJanuary 7, 2017
I love the army reserves I'm in a great unit with amazing people. is it for everyone no not at all me personally I wish I had gone active duty just cause I want to do this full time and get the full benefits that unfortunately won't get in the reserves. it's not perfect for me but it's perfect for if you already have a career and want to translate those skills to make extra money or if you're in school currently.
Pros
great job you'll make friends for life
Cons
benefits aren't as good as active duty
fun place to work
Multichannel Operator-Maintainer (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 6, 2017
Prepares reports for input of statistical and other data.
Earned consistent commendations for devotion to duty with citations for excellence
in rapidly resolving crisis situations, relating effectively with culturally diverse
populations and protecting property and lives.
Fulfilled a range of communications duties for both combat and peacekeeping missions.
Gained proficiencies and experience in: network management, Cisco routers, cabling, and
database management.
Great place to work at
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJanuary 10, 2017
On drill day as a reservist, you sign up, report to your section, get a brief and carry on with the mission of the day. You get 1 hour of lunch which food is provided, if none is available, MREs will always be there. You work with a band of brothers and sisters. The hardest part would be not having anything to do, but the most enjoyable part of it, you will feel as a family member.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Hard to get a deployment
I just did it for school, come to find out there's multiple hoops to jump through to be able to do so
Culinary Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 1, 2017
I just did it for school turns out there's a lot more hoops you have top jump through to be able to do so. The weekends arnt to bad but when they go from saying its only two weeks in the summer to you have to be gone a whole month it really sucks. i cant enjoy my young adult life for constant worry of what will happen to me if i wanna do something.
Constantly changes based off of unit's mission.
Petroleum Supply Specialist (92F) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 29, 2016
Usually based off of the unit's mission examples include: going to a qualification range, regular tasks and soldier training, and/mandatory annual training. I've learned how to be flexible and constantly prepared for changes. I've learned how to train and manage new soldiers coming into the service. There is nothing that compares to the comradery you gain in the military. Nothing really hard as long as you are willing to adapt. The part I've enjoyed most is that I'm always ready for changes and the people I have met through fourteen years of service.
Pros
Meeting new people from different parts of the world and working with them.
Cons
Constant changes so you have to stay on your toes at all times.
A Challenging and diverse work environment
Military Police Sergeant/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 26, 2016
On any given drill day once a month I am in charge of my team of three members or I fill in for the squad leader when he is absent or detained by other business. My fellow platoon members are hard working individuals who believe in a our mission. Our company has outperformed any other Military Police company in our Brigade. The hardest part is that I am only given one weekend a month to work with my team members on any deficiencies. The most enjoyable part would be that I am always seeming to learn something new at every drill whether it is pertaining to issues with my soldiers or about the job itself; I love learning.
Pros
Constantly learning and experiencing new things
Cons
Time limitations
Great Work Environment
Simultaneous Membership Program Student (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoy working and learning from the people around me because each person has a different perspective on things. Most days are busy because we only have two sometimes three days to complete a week(s) of work. Finally, with my position now, I am learning how to become an effective leader as I am training to become a Signal Officer.
Pros
health benefits, security clearance, promotion
Great opportunity for personal growth
Civil Affairs Company Commander (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 6, 2017
* Develop your leadership skills to make you successful
* Earn education benefits that can allow you to advance your career
* Dedicated people who are committed to being their best
* Additional training in advanced skills
* One weekend a month (most of the time) and two weeks of extended training
Pros
Develops fortitude
Cons
It takes commitment to put others before yourself
Great place to meet new people and learn various skills
Logistics Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCDecember 12, 2016
Being in the military taught me discipline and provided me with skills that will be used for the rest of my life. I met a lot of people and traveled a lot. The most difficult part of the job was leaving family members, but they understood it was part of my military obligation. The most enjoyable part was training other Soldiers to be able to take charge if I was not there.
Pros
Health and dental benefits
Cons
Away from military
Great work place habits developed with team work skills attributing to workplace
12b Combat engineer (Current Employee) –  Belton, MOJanuary 18, 2017
Great leadership development potential, as well as work place habits instilled. Best camaraderie of anywhere I've ever had an opportunity to work with. Getting paid to shoot guns, work out, and be with your best friends is honestly nothing close to what the real world can offer.
Benefits
Cons
Work life and home balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army Reserve. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5