U.S. Army Reserve Employee Reviews

Found 3,805 reviews matching the search
US Army Reserve Experienced
56M/Chaplain Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96819November 16, 2016
Learned a lot from the military. Great place to work with good benefits. I learned to accept responsibility and to use up time necessary to complete task. Able to work as a team and how crucial it is to apply yourself and make sure everyone contributes and follows through.
benefits
Cons
not a full time job
Corporate office environment with flexible hours.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  FT Hood , TXNovember 2, 2016
We are in a constantly changing challenging power structure as governments change loyalty and friendships shift with new conflicts. We strive to adapt leadership skills, through training and education, and implement new polices that are aggressive and progressive regarding the challenges we face.
Pros
Opportunity to travel, decent pay and out of the box thinking.
Cons
Not much free time, short notice and little support.
Skills to use in any occupation or job field are learned, used and refined while serving in the United States Army Reserve.
Civil Affairs Officer/ Intelligence Officer (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 28, 2016
I have had the opportunity to serve with and for highly competent leaders who make the jobs, missions and challenges that we are faced with easy to achieve and overcome. My teams have contained a vast degree of varying personalities and backgrounds but have always come together as a team when called upon with no issues. The hardest part of the job is reacting to a change and getting all personnel the right information to react accordingly. We have figured out good ways to mitigate those risks both coming from the source and with our subordinates who must react.
Military Service
Medic (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYOctober 24, 2016
The United States Army Reserve drills once a month with soldiers having additional training throughout the year for days or weeks at a time. In the army i have learned to be an EMT, how to drive and operate heavy equipment, and currently learning how to manage personnel. My fellow soldiers are a mix of motivated and unmotivated people all knowledgeable in their respective positions. The most enjoyable part of the service is the sense of purpose one feels. My least favorite aspect is the long hours that comes with monthly drills and month long training.
Learned skillfull lessons.
Automated Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 31, 2016
The Army Reserves was good in many ways. They where the second half of my military service and yet I still was able to learn something new and in a different way then when I was in the Navy. I learned more about leadership, how to think outside of the box and help others in the process. I was also surrounded by others who where willing to help me.
Pros
Essential life skills.
Cons
The drive would eventually become too far
Interesting and a good learning enviroment
Wheeled Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 10, 2016
a typical day would include morning safety brief followed by a PMCS on all vehicles. Then we would verify the faults found and see if we have the part on hand to repair it. Once that's done we would normally start some annual services, which that's the best time to teach new soldiers about the way the vehicle operates and a good time for me to learn on new vehicles.
Pros
youu can never know everything so there is always something new to learn
Cons
its only 1 weekend a month so it doesnt pay many bills
Overall, good place to work
Heavy Mobile Equipment Repaire Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 4, 2016
The must enjoyable part of working with the Army Reserves is the personnel. Everyone comes together as a team very well. My co-workers are all helpful and willing to go out of their way to help one another.

The hardest part is dealing with the volatility in the policies. Management is always pushing more and more on their employees and have gotten away from the true intent of the work needing to be done.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
Volital work enviornment
Challenging and Learning work enviroment.
Sargeant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 10, 2016
I Have learned a great amount of things in the Army Reserves. For Example, they have taught me to be self-discipline, how to work well with others under difficult tasks, and to be motivated for the challenges to come. A typical day in the army was get up and conduct physical train I was in charge of coordinating the exercises. During the day I was in charge of maintaining my equipment and helping my co-workers and maintain the company's equipment, I was also task to give classes. I think the hardest part of working with the Army was the lack of communication that came from top, and the most enjoyable part was knowing I was part of something big.
Pros
heath care, living quaters, meals, training, travel, and income
Cons
away from loved ones, relationshps
Army Life
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 10, 2016
The Army Reserve instills confidence, gives a trade, pays for college, and even gives one tthe opportunity to purchase their first home.

Although the Army Reserve is very demanding, it gives back enough to make it all worth it.
Pros
missions, job, college, additional money, travel, comraderie, fitness
Cons
takes you away from family, sometimes no work and just sitting around doing nothing, low paying.
Step towards the right direction.
Petroleum Fuel Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsburg, IN 47170October 31, 2016
As a fueler, your unit with have it's specialty. In ours which is bulk distribution through pipeline it can be laborious. Through hardwork you begin to see the bigger picture and what this experience can take you. Also the typical solider duties and benefits are also a huge plus. You got to stay in shape and keep and squared away. Other than that you'll have no problems.
Busy workplace but hardworking to make sure every soldier is trained and to make sure their family is taken care of
Human Recourse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Carson, COSeptember 22, 2016
I work as a Human Recourse Specialist in the US Army Reserves. I take my time to make sure all of the soldiers that come into the office have any paperwork questions they need answered are taken care of are answered.
Pros
Military Experience and background, Make good friends and it makes you more open minded
Cons
Some people in your chain of command can be unreasonable
Productive & Energetic
Squad Leader/Platoon Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 5, 2016
This description refers to my civilian job and not my military position!

A typical day at work for me is being productive. At the beginning of each day my site lead gives a safety brief and we start our day. My job is to ensure all computer systems are up and working as well as my additional duties are checked and done by the end of each day. We run a small crew for our site which consists of five people for my shift in the mornings and six in the evenings.

Team work is key to ensure our customers are satisfied when they come to our site. I cannot give out much information given that this is a government site. However I can say I love my job and enjoy learning new ways of how our system works across the country which is important.
Pros
Military cohesion
Cons
I have none
Army Reserve
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAOctober 10, 2016
Cool to do something every couple of months like shooting guns and playing ARMY but does opportunities are rare in the Reserves. The passionate and motivated soldiers are mainly on Active Duty, if you want to be in the crowd you really should try that.
Pros
Extra money on weekends, Fun things to do once-in-a-while
Cons
Forced days you must come in, employers hate when you take time off of work.
One weekend a month
Sergeant, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 24, 2016
The US Army Reserve can provide individuals with the skills needed to become a better soldier. Sadly, many of the young people first entering think it is just something to do because it will pay for school. Many do not show up, but still expect to get the monthly pay.
The hardest thing is accepting that this is not the "full time" military.
Pros
Extra cash, school benefits
Cons
Low pay, favoritism
Productive and hard working
Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 9, 2016
A day at work consist in doing inventory, doing a lot of training and always practicing our job to be better and more efficient at our job. I have learned how to be a leader and how to be a good listener as well, is always good to be an open mid person and sometimes you have to listen or follow in order to learn and lead.My superiors are always looking out for me and my co-workers,in and outside the job. I try to keep my superiors less busy as possible by accomplishing a lot of task that are usually done during the week. In that case i feel that can be classified as difficult but there is not such thing when you put hard work and motivation to something. I really enjoy my job and working in general.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Weather ( hot)
Promotes confidence and sense of self worth and abilities
Veterinary Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 1, 2016
While serving one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer, you are able to provide service to your country while also living a job as a civilian employee. A company that consistently attempts to promote high camaraderie among all teammates of the company.
Pros
Service time provides opportunity to be with family and have a civilian occupation.
Cons
When activated on orders for deployment can initiate stress among family members.
Best Decision I Ever Made
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILSeptember 1, 2016
Joining the Army right out of high school was the best decision I ever made. A camaraderie was made amongst all 240 of the Army Recruits that graduated Basic Training, and from here, a family was formed with all of those who swear in and wear the boots. It was the Army that taught me the "why" we address people the way we do, and how we best represent what we stand for by our actions. I have every intention on retiring after at least twenty years with the Army, but I love the fact that I can be a civilian and a soldier all in one sometimes.
Army Life is challenging.
Emergency Medical Technician & Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 30, 2016
As an Army Medic for over 15 years, I found it to be fulfilling as well as challenging. The army teaches you to be self-reliant, disciplined, steadfast and strong. You meet a lot of people, some will become lifelong friends and co-workers and others, well some you may never want to see again. The hardest part of my job was making sure that my soldiers were up to par on skills and training because you will never know whose life will depend on that training.
Pros
Education Benefits, travel, job security, knowledge and skills
Cons
different attitudes, long hours, terrible food, and often horrible lodging
I found my time fun and productive
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 3, 2016
My typical day I spend most in meeting trying to my better way to bring higher up and jounior enlisted together boost reality if you will. I leaned if you work hard for then they work even harder for you. My most difficult part about being in the military was deploying and being away from friends and family. The best part was when a Soldier comes up to you thanking you for what you've done for them.
Great
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLSeptember 5, 2016
I really enjoyed my time in the Army Reserves. I got to travel and serve my country. Learned a lot more about myself and was able to push through obstacles that i didnt know i could. Made me a stronger person physically and mentally. I learned more time management skills, computer skills, and received many awards and accomplishments along the way.
Pros
travel, benefits, long term friends
Cons
hurry up and wait

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army Reserve. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5