U.S. Army Reserve Employee Reviews

Found 4,002 reviews matching the search
An excellent way to continue serving your country.
Perioperative Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2017
The Army Reserves is a great way to serve your country and find balance with a home life as well. We receive relevant trainings that applies to our job description in the Army and apply critical-thinking skills that help to ensure efficient patient care domestically and during deployments or humanitarian missions. The role in the Army Reserves is all about how you foresee career advancements and opportunities for leadership and command goals.
Pros
Excellent benefits, several opportunities for career advancement, and camaraderie among fellow soldiers.
Cons
Driving 2.5 hours to drill monthly can be disheartening.
Reserves is not for prior Active Duty members.
92A Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIJanuary 5, 2017
You go to drill one weekend out of the month to "train" by standing there looking at each other to the point where the NCOs(Non-commissioned Officers) try to find detail work for you to do. Most of the leadership has never done Active duty services so in result if you come from Active Duty services yourself, you probably know more than the so called "leadership" you are provided with to whom I would never trust them to cover my back down range(overseas). I learned absolutely nothing that the Active Duty services has not already taught me from the beginning of my service time. There is no discipline. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay motivated to continue on. The only enjoyable part of the job was getting sent away to an actual Army training school from time to time.
Pros
Minimum Benefits, School Tuition Opportunity.
Cons
Nothing like the real Army(Active Duty)
Unproductive, bad for morale
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, MOFebruary 1, 2017
I enlisted in the Army Reserve for the education benefits. My advice: don't do it. Go active duty or enjoy life as a civilian. My initial training was an incredible, life changing event for me. Unfortunately I don't use very much of that training now that I drill monthly nor have I acquired any new skills since graduating in March of 2013. The hardest part is trying to look busy because there's nothing to do. In my experience, the US Army Reserve has been a waste of my time.
Pros
sense of community, looks good on a resume
Cons
low drill pay, inconvenient drill schedule, difficult for families, unproductive
great decision
12 C Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJanuary 7, 2017
I love the army reserves I'm in a great unit with amazing people. is it for everyone no not at all me personally I wish I had gone active duty just cause I want to do this full time and get the full benefits that unfortunately won't get in the reserves. it's not perfect for me but it's perfect for if you already have a career and want to translate those skills to make extra money or if you're in school currently.
Pros
great job you'll make friends for life
Cons
benefits aren't as good as active duty
Army Life is challenging.
Emergency Medical Technician & Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 30, 2016
As an Army Medic for over 15 years, I found it to be fulfilling as well as challenging. The army teaches you to be self-reliant, disciplined, steadfast and strong. You meet a lot of people, some will become lifelong friends and co-workers and others, well some you may never want to see again. The hardest part of my job was making sure that my soldiers were up to par on skills and training because you will never know whose life will depend on that training.
Pros
Education Benefits, travel, job security, knowledge and skills
Cons
different attitudes, long hours, terrible food, and often horrible lodging
Great Work Environment
Simultaneous Membership Program Student (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoy working and learning from the people around me because each person has a different perspective on things. Most days are busy because we only have two sometimes three days to complete a week(s) of work. Finally, with my position now, I am learning how to become an effective leader as I am training to become a Signal Officer.
Pros
health benefits, security clearance, promotion
Great work place habits developed with team work skills attributing to workplace
12b Combat engineer (Current Employee) –  Belton, MOJanuary 18, 2017
Great leadership development potential, as well as work place habits instilled. Best camaraderie of anywhere I've ever had an opportunity to work with. Getting paid to shoot guns, work out, and be with your best friends is honestly nothing close to what the real world can offer.
Benefits
Cons
Work life and home balance
A great experience.
Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 17, 2017
The army reserves is a great experience. You get a chance during your initial entry training to experience active duty life, which was a blast for me. In the reserves it offers you a chance to be a solider part time and be a student full time as well. If you decide you want to go active after basic and AIT then you def can go to your chain of command and try and get an early release form filled out and approved to go active.
Pros
Benefits, Fun, Life Experiences, Meeting great people and leaders
Cons
Great opportunity for personal growth
Civil Affairs Company Commander (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 6, 2017
* Develop your leadership skills to make you successful
* Earn education benefits that can allow you to advance your career
* Dedicated people who are committed to being their best
* Additional training in advanced skills
* One weekend a month (most of the time) and two weeks of extended training
Pros
Develops fortitude
Cons
It takes commitment to put others before yourself
Great work environment that teaches a lot of life skills
CBRN Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 13, 2017
Overall the Military is a great experience with a lot of opportunities and awesome benefits. You definitely get out of it what you put in. Sometimes you may run into some people who don't really look out for other soldiers but for the most part people will generally help you out with anything you need.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent Management
Serve your Country and your Community with peace of mind
Team Leader and Physical Fitness Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZJanuary 29, 2017
The United States Army Reserves is a great factor in wanting to serve both your country and your community in applying real world scenarios to well over 150 Military Occupational Specialties that will Train, Lead, and Deliver you towards any objective presented. Great Benefits, Comradery and flexible Monthly scheduling ensures esprit de corps while balancing civilian life.
Overall, good place to work
Heavy Mobile Equipment Repaire Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 4, 2016
The must enjoyable part of working with the Army Reserves is the personnel. Everyone comes together as a team very well. My co-workers are all helpful and willing to go out of their way to help one another.

The hardest part is dealing with the volatility in the policies. Management is always pushing more and more on their employees and have gotten away from the true intent of the work needing to be done.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
Volital work enviornment
Great place to meet new people and learn various skills
Logistics Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCDecember 12, 2016
Being in the military taught me discipline and provided me with skills that will be used for the rest of my life. I met a lot of people and traveled a lot. The most difficult part of the job was leaving family members, but they understood it was part of my military obligation. The most enjoyable part was training other Soldiers to be able to take charge if I was not there.
Pros
Health and dental benefits
Cons
Away from military
Great job to benifit your future with a bunch of people wanting the same thing as well.
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, PAJuly 27, 2016
Morning formation is at 8am. We form up and get briefed by our SGT. on what we are going to do for the day, rater it be classes or us going out working/training with the equipment, or even driving the vehicles around because each month we need to put a certain amount of miles on them. Then lunch break at 12 and it ends at 12:30. Then finish what ever our tasks were and usually we finish around 4pm unless something comes up or we haven't finished our job. Then after everyone is finished we form up and get briefed about the next day. That's a typical work day, for as the management it's the rank structure and since I'm fresh out of AIT I'm the lowest rank in my squad so I get the grunt work which is probably the hardest part about it but I don't mind because I'm proud of what I'm doing.
Pros
Free schooling and benifits
Cons
N/a
Depends on who you work with
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAJanuary 19, 2017
In most places I've been, I truly loved the people I worked with. I would go to great lengths to help them out, and feel that they would work hard to help me out, too. However, my experience in the Army Reserve includes a lot of hours both in a duty status (i.e. got paid to do the work) and in a non-duty status (performed work without compensation on my own time). The requirements of being an active part of the Army Reserve includes maintaining physical fitness standards, maintaining medical fitness, and performing required training according to Army regulations. A lot of my reserve time has been spent doing short-notice work such that a lot of planned activities wound up taking a back seat to things I didn't care about but had to do anyway. These sorts of things can waste a lot of time, and resulted in wearing me out for little to no gain towards doing the things I signed up to do or even the things I was required to do by regulation. Some units are worse than others at doing this, but the problem seemed to be at a very high level, so it affected a lot of units. I would recommend the Reserve for the people you work with, but I feel that sometimes it asks a lot more of people than it claims to.
Pros
People, and satisfaction when you get to do something challenging and fun
Cons
Way more time than one weekend per month and two weeks Annual Training per year.
US Army Reserve Experienced
56M/Chaplain Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96819November 16, 2016
Learned a lot from the military. Great place to work with good benefits. I learned to accept responsibility and to use up time necessary to complete task. Able to work as a team and how crucial it is to apply yourself and make sure everyone contributes and follows through.
they have taught me to be self-discipline, how to work well with others under difficult tasks, and to be motivated for the challenges to come.
benefits
Cons
not a full time job
One of the best possible professionally developmental career choices.
Oklahoma Supervisory Staff Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 13, 2016
Professionally varied and developmental providing a service to the country. I worked with various ethnic backgrounds learning from those with whom I interacted. I have many close ties resulting from the time spent serving the US Army and Army Reserve. The benefits were/are excellent even in retirement and I was exposed to professional training that could not be obtained elsewhere. All co-workers are brothers and sisters in arms and therefore even if not in contact daily, weekly, or monthly, ties remain close. I worked in a high stress demanding position and am able to continue to do so but ready for another job/professional experience.
Pros
All good.
Cons
Mandatory retirement at age 60.
logistical specialists
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 18, 2017
Army Logistics specialist
In charge of supply chain for over 150+ soliders
Responsible for tracking shipments
Responsible for solider trainings
Follow army regulations regarding inventory counts
Pros
compensation was ok
Cons
deployments and work life balance
Great time.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 29, 2017
I'd say go for it if you wanna make the ultimate sacrifice... It's all fun and games til your being shipped to your final destination to your family, to be verified and viewed in a box. On the other side of the coin, you make good and take advantage of great benefits.
Pros
Learn alot of different important things.
Cons
Learn a lot of important things..
Discipline work environment
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 17, 2017
A typical day at work is well scheduled and informed about what we are doing that day.
The environment is diverse in culture. You see soldiers from different background.
The training help build good physical and mental strength.
PT every morning is the best part of the work that I like.
benefits
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army Reserve. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5