U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 40,743 reviews matching the search
Great if you can manage
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 23, 2017
The army is awesome if you can handle all of the bs and waiting time that comes with it. You may do things that make absolutely no sense but you have to do it anyway.
Awesome place to have fulfilled my career in Human Resources
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 23, 2017
Working for the Government for 30 years was very rewarding. I no regret, got an awesome retirement, worked for and with awesome individuals. I could not have been any luckier than to have made this my career.
great place to work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJuly 23, 2017
This place is not the for the weak minded must be in good physical shape and work hard everyday to be prepare for combat when you are needed. I would do it all over again if need.
Us army
Military Police Officer, TAI (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 22, 2017
The military is the best thing to ever happen to me. I served for 10 years and loved every bit of it. You get what you put into it like most things in life.
Pros
Travel, friends, community for life, Stability
Cons
There is no such thing as a 40 hour work week in the military.
very rewarding environment with great moral
CAMPUS RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 22, 2017
Typical day is 0630-1800 including physical training. Most days are 0630-2000 hrs or possibly longer depending on appointments. Usually have a meeting of the minds first thing in the morning to go over plans for the day and see what each recruiter has scheduled. From there get to work, do morning prospecting, classroom presentations, high school or college table set ups. During the day conduct face to face prospecting, then phone prospecting in the afternoon till close of business or evening appointment. We are engaging the public all day long trying to generate interest in getting information about the Army. We are the face of the Army and responsible for representing the Army. We have to set the right example and establish trust within the community. Doing full cycle recruiting from prospecting to interviewing and processing applicants to enlist. I train fellow soldiers on all aspects of the recruiting process and programs. We learn from each other as well and work as a team so the culture is great. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the uncertainties and people's emotions. One day, someone is committed to joining then the next they aren't. Either they changed their mind, a family member influenced them or possibly another influence. You have to be thick skinned and be able to adjust to all of the different situations that could arise. It can definitely make for an interesting day. Even with all of the stress, multitasking, and craziness throughout the day, I find all of it enjoyable. The most part though, is when you have someone enlist. You have established  more... trust with them and their family. They see all of the great opportunities the Army has, to offer. They want to make a change in their lives and serve a greater cause. Seeing them enlist, developing a bond with them, mentoring them,and seeing the personal growth they go through after training is incredible.. Knowing that you had an impact on their life and helped them, truly makes it all worth while. Plus, as a soldier it is my duty to do the best I can for my fellow soldiers, my family and my country.  less
Pros
Serving your country, helping people make a positive change in their lives
Cons
sometimes miscommunication, but that is to be expected. honestly it was a great career and I would do it all over again
US Army
Video Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJuly 22, 2017
The best experience of my life. The Army not only made me an IT professional, it made me better at life as a whole. World class people all working towards a common goal. The best experience I've had in my life.
Needs more coordination and informed knowledgeable leaders
38B Civil Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 22, 2017
A typical work day at the unit consists of a planned schedule our leaders make up for the day to complete tasks that are needed to be done by the end of the drill assembly. All classes feel as if they were designed to have soldiers fall asleep. Learning is obtained and retained more by soldiers with hands on experience. Management could use some work. Higher rank needs more communication or a better method of communication to lower enlisted. Need more knowledge on soldiers in LMBO or injured, how to obtain benefits and access to the VA for all sections of the Army and correct medical attention. The hardest part of the work day is knowing if everyone did their part of the job to provide a success for the drill day. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning the correct way of your job and living it.
Pros
Hands on learning and missions outside of the unit.
Cons
Benefits and VA for all sections of the Army, communication, actions to take for LMBO and injured soldiers.
The best and worst decision you will make for yourself.
All Source Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYJuly 22, 2017
The military will always demand everything you have to give, and in return you develop resiliancy, patience, respect, and self discipline. you will learn to work with people you absolutely hate with the upmost professionalism and you will perform tasks you dispise with pride and stoicism. The harder you train the faster you will advance and your advancement is in your own hands depending on how well you develop yourself physicall and mentally. they will demand you persue educaiton and perform well for the benefit of your advancement. you will have to learn to train others and educate them how to better themselves for the betterment of the unit and unit operations. learn to work as a team and develop critical thinking skills you will not learn in a civilian community. it is not a career, it is a lifestyle.
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAJuly 22, 2017
Definately great to join if you are young and ambitious. I would join straight out of high school and go in witha good mind set and mentality. Meet good people, Travel and serve your Country.
Typical day in the United States Army lots of training physical training lots of school
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJuly 22, 2017
The hardest part of the United States Army soldier was getting up early in the morning to prepare breakfast for families and soldiers. The most enjoyable thing about being an army meaning different all kinds of people and friends from all over the world.
Pros
No free lunches for us because we were Cooks in the Army anyway
Hooah!
Soldier (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJuly 22, 2017
I loved it from the moment I talked to the recruiter and signed the contract. I went to basic training and loved it even more. Joint ing the army was a great choice!
Basic Training's all I know
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJuly 22, 2017
I was in the National Guard for several months before BCT, and was discharged for a pre-existing medical condition. I did not graduate from Basic, despite having passed all the necessary events I was there for.

As far as the guard goes, you'd only get paid for the weekend a month you go in for. If you are healthy, Drill will generally be an enjoyable experience.

A typical day at work: early wake-ups, physical training, whatever other training was scheduled for that day (If it wasn't out in the field, it was something in the classroom.)

I think the most valuable value I learned while in training was attention to detail.

Management was rigid, as should be expected. It's the military, you do what you're told when you're told without question. That's the life of a private.

"I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade." That's the embodiment of what we do.

The hardest part of the job was not by any means the training. The hardest part of this job for me was by far getting up early.

The most enjoyable part of working with the Army was the camaraderie there. There's a sense of purpose to everything you do there. You become a part of a team, and more than you realize it, they will rely on you for success, and you will rely on them.
Pros
Three meals a day, a place to live, some independence.
Cons
No freedom of movement.
Full of life challenges
Medical Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJuly 22, 2017
Success and advancement is limited only by your personal desire, dedication, and willingness to commit and sacrifice for your professional growth and success. If you are prepared to meet the challenges with a positive attitude and unwavering desire to succeed this is the place for you. Opportunities will always present themselves to those you are always prepared to receive and exceed standards.

The separations from your family while operating in austere conditions presented the most difficult moments of my career as a soldier. However the appreciation towards the life we live in this country is that much more sweeter when you return.

The only typical thing about your day are the structured and scheduled events but everything leading up to and completing them are ever changing and you learn to be one with flexibility.

The range of opportunities and excelling in a multitude of roles and wide spectrum of positions always kept this job interesting.
Pros
Opportunities in a wide spectrum of positions
Cons
Separation from family
Miitary Life
Executive Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJuly 22, 2017
I have spent the last 24 years in the military and enjoyed everyday of it. I have been deployed nine times and been nearly all around the world. I wouldn't change a thing, and would do it all over again.
Pros
team work
Cons
long deployments
15J Armament Electrical Avionics systems repairer
Helicopter Repair Tech (Current Employee) –  15J/YJuly 22, 2017
It is a very physically and mentally demanding job with long hours and rotating schedules. It can be very difficult to keep a healthy work and family balance with having to be gone most of the year with random training events and deployments. Workplace culture differs between units between being very close to hard A type personalities.
Pros
great benefits as far as health care and housing
Cons
horrible health care for family members.
It is a job worth doing if you want to feel proud.
air defense (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJuly 22, 2017
The military is a great place to work to support a family. It has its ups and downs days but all in all it is a great place to be to feel proud. I am now a spouse and feel even more proud of my husband for making it a life career.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
deployments
Tough Character building
Master Driver Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAJuly 22, 2017
The Army is a place where a person can learn a lot. A lot of it depend on the Soldier him or herself. One of the biggest thing you can learn is the leadership.
Experience and skills to last a lifetime.
Water Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Castle, PAJuly 22, 2017
The US Army has really taught me a lot about self confidence, assertion and strength. I recommend the Army for anyone who needs a start in life. The management is normally good. You are typically well informed of what's going on. There is always chance for promotion if you are willing to work for it. It's not always easy, but it's definitely doable with the right attitude.
Pros
Active Duty: 3 meals a day, Training, paid on the 1st and 15th, promotion and much more.
Cons
Strenuous hours, sleep loss
Best option for a job security
Preventive Medicine Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJuly 22, 2017
You can never go wrong joining the armed forces unless its not just ones passion, but regardless you can advance in its branches and make the best of every opportunity that one might come across.
Army
UAV Operator/Instructor Operator (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJuly 22, 2017
The Army experience is what you make it, also doesn't hurt if you get along with people easily. Sleep will be a luxury you didn't realize you took for granted.
Pros
Free Lunches, Merican Pride
Cons
You signed away your basic rights as a human.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4