Pros: mission oriented environment with in a direct environment
Cons: frequent relocation and excessive time away from home
A typical day at work consists of reporting the status of subordinates, managing priorities, attending to the welfare of subordinates, accomplishing the mission and getting results, as well as supporting organizational policies and directives.
I learned how to think critically and specifically, plan, prepare, inspect, and verify. I refined my skills – more... in personnel administration, records keeping, and maintenance management. I was also thoroughly cross trained in network and radio communications techniques and procedures.
I was responsible for:
- Reporting the accountability of a 90 personnel organization to higher headquarters
- Managing the daily status of submitted jobs in a shop of 6 technicians that supported 3,000 personnel
- Physical security and key control for an environment that processed classified cryptographic electronics equipment
- Internal communications infrastructure of an 80 personnel 18 hour rapid response support element.
- Preparing training tasks and situational exercises to develop subordinates
I learned that I really enjoy working with direct people and challenging environments, but most importantly with people who are very organized and methodical.
The hardest part of the job was learning how to deal with having to execute orders that I did not agree with.
I really enjoyed traveling to a place for a specific purpose and executing a mission in the field. – less