U.S. Army

23.6K reviews

U.S. Army Employee Reviews

It's the life of a soldier
Line Of Sight Operator (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: The pay is horrible.
I met a lot of great people and got to see a lot of places. I'd rather be deployed than back home in the states. I still stay in touch with the majority of my soldiers.
Not for everyone
Aviator (Current Employee), USAJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Allotments for housing, no-cost medical and dental care, 20-year retirement with medical coverage
Cons: Irregular schedule, high risk of loss of life/limb/eyesight, separation from family is a regular occurrence whether deployment-related or otherwise
Officers are placed in positions of authority based on rank, with career progression timelines taking priority over their merits and skills. This often leaves organisations with inexperienced leadership being propped up by the experienced managers (Warrant and Non-commissioned Officers) under their command. Job placement is based on an aptitude test and preference statement with no assessment of a person's interpersonal or physical skills.

The opportunity to travel is there, but is limited by manning cycles and open positions based on rank or title. Some assignments, voluntary or otherwise, will separate you from your family. You are at the mercy of the leadership described above in seeking compensation for the lost time.
Productive and challenging
Logistical Food Advisor (Current Employee), Fort Carson, COJuly 31, 2015
Pros: short suspenses
Cons: learning from others in order to be successful
Up-tempo work environment is very challenging and rewarding. Striving to make a difference is the upmost important. Communication is very important for the success of the organization.
Great experience
Operations Sergeant (Current Employee), Fort Stewart, GAJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: N/A
Great way to learn management and leadership skills. You get to learn about working with personnel from all walks of life. Helps to build self-confidence and pride.
Challenging but rewarding
Senior Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), South KoreaJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits and job secuirty.
Cons: Long deployments and challenges to the family life.
Life is in the military is challenging because of the constant deployments and time away from the family. It can be hard on a family to include the kids that need the love and constant support of both parents. The military does a good job of making the families involved in being a community when there are deployments. The individual job as a Senior Intelligence Analyst and Supply/Logistics Manager (previously) have been enjoyable and something that I would like to continue working with in the future as a civilian.
Logistical Supply Specialist
Army Logistical Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Ft Lee, VirginiaJuly 31, 2015
Supply, teamwork, Enjoy being Part of the ARMY. I learn how to provide Army stuff to my Soldiers. The hardest part of it is being a soldier 24/7
Very Political in the Hospital environment
Patient Administration Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Cafeterias
Cons: Long work hours
Daily tasks are assigned but there is not a real team setting or mentality in the military hospital setting. I did enjoy my time in DC as there was o much to see and do
Great Job
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), DEJuly 31, 2015
An Amazing Job that i would and have recommended to anyone that wants to serve their country great way to see the world and be a part of a larger cause.
Good work environment
Corporal (Current Employee), Killeen, TexasJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Great teamwork
Cons: Always away from family
Team cohesion played a big part of being in the military. Ive learned to work as one small part to a big solution. The hardest part about the military in general is being away from family members for long periods of time.
Best Job I ever had!
E-4 Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Jackson, SCJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Free food clothes bed
Cons: bad knees back
Get to play with everything from handguns to Cannons, Awesome Co-workers Great leadership in most units, learned to lead, to follow and to help
not for everyone
Infantryman (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 31, 2015
Just like any other job, it has it's ups and downs. Great place to meet people. Great place to be in if you like traveling. If you don't mind working out everyday and getting told what to do this place is for you
Productive and fun enviroment
HCLOS Section Team Chief (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Long lunch breaks with family and being able to be home by dinner.
Cons: Being away from family for months while being in the field.
I've learned extensive leadership and mentoring skills from having to evaluate my employees on a monthly basis on paper. I've also learned a specific skill set in radios, antennas, and satellite communications. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to go home for breakfast, lunch and dinner to relax and enjoy a meal with my family. The hardest part of my job was being away from my family for a month or more while being in the field.
Great
Army Natl Guard - Full-Time (Former Employee), Senatobia, MSJuly 31, 2015
Army. Nuff said. No complaints. Was treated very well. How many words do i have to type here to clear the screen? Apparantly, the last sentence wasnt enough. Doesnt take that many words to say "yes, it was a good place" or "no, it sucked". I guess there are special circumstances,but, since i wasnt kidnapped by Aliens or see the loch ness monster while employed there, i think the original,short,sweet,to the point response was the best.
Military
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Carson, COJuly 31, 2015
Cons: possible death or mental disease
Great start for anyone that has no direction or money for college coming straight out of high school. The military provides both. Must have strong mind and a will to succeed.
Accomplishing work ethics among co-workers.
Junior-Level Petroleum Supply Manager (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Great lunch hours, and conducive working environment.
Cons: Collective effort were mostly ineffective.
Self fulfillment knowing the job got done and growing new innovative idea through general communication between each individual personnel.
I did well at improving my management skill by creative interaction with personnel and customers.
My co-workers were outstanding and executed each instruction above standard.
The return time of the fuel test result nevertheless i ensured constant and proper circulation of production to ensure efficiency.
Focused to no direction
Plans and Operations Management Trainer/Coach (Former Employee), Fort Stewart, GAJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Medical, Family medical
Cons: Time away from home
The US military is a wonderful and challenging career field. The downside is that family time can be severely limited, and can feel very directionless at times.
Going back to school
Logistic specials (Former Employee), Tx,Washington, Schofield HawaiiJuly 31, 2015
Going back to school is a challenge for me because its been too long since I was a student. Now going to drill time in the reservist once a month have given me the opportunity to put in my all to going back to school. I am excited in these two that I call my job now.
Love the Military
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Honor, Respect, Discipline
Cons: none
The military is my life and am working really hard to get back in, I had gotten hurt but am ready to get back in. You work hard and as hard as you work you slowly work your way to the top I woke up every morning know that I was somewhere I loved to be.
NA
Sr. Operations Manager (Current Employee), Fort Benning, GAJuly 30, 2015
Nothing to say the learn a lot serving the country. Everything was processed and the military was very challenging and pushed you to the limit. Probably wished I focused more on Civilian living. It would make everything easier to transfer out.
To Lead
Finance /Personnel Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Stewart, GAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: The opportunity to travel, meet others and learn different culture.
Cons: When you have to say goodbye to other soldiers.
A typical day begins with exercise and then you would be given your daily requirement for your job.
I learned to be motivated, multitask, work with a Team, understand my chain of command, be proactive, work under pressure, pursue my dreams and be a leader.
I worked well with my superiors and learned a lot from them.
The hardest part of my job was when I had to say goodbye to a fellow soldier who had to transition on somewhere else.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with different individuals in different ranks and jobs.
Headquarters