U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 34,416 reviews matching the search
You get out of it what you put into it
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKNovember 2, 2016
Your experience with the army period is going to be what you put into it and your mindset that comes with it. Your line supervisors are going to depend on where you're stationed and you can have either really good NCOs and officers or seriously bad ones. From my experience a lot of the NCOs and line leaders care more about how their own careers and you making them look good than them actually trying to help you, but at the same time there really are good NCOs out there still. As far as pay you're not going to be very happy unless you have depandants or are married because then you get extra pay and allowances and either way you put in a lot of hours. But you do get to travel a lot and see places you didn't think you would be able to and you definitely make the most of your time when you have it off. As far as culture I think the army is losing it a lot, but the army is always changing.
Pros
Travel, learning discipline, meeting new people
Cons
Pay, long hours, and at times management
Great place to be and best people in the world
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work was doing our physical training in the morning and having breakfast. At 9 AM we would go to work and do our normal maintenance job on all the vehicles for that day and then at 5 PM we would go home. I learned so much in the Army. They taught me how to better myself and lead myself to better things. I also learned to lead and motivate others to do the same. My bosses and team mates were the best of people. We knew what had to be done and we got it done. The hardest part of my job was making those tough decisions that had to be made. The easiest part was being with my team mates and getting every job done
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, Advancement, Job Culture
Cons
Being away from family for long periods of time
Infantryman
Infantryman/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSSeptember 25, 2016
I managed to perfectly balance work and life in the Army, even with deployments. Compensation is good compared to the work actually done, although I have had to sacrifice, missing time with my wife and child away in a third world country for months at a time. Benefits while you're in are great if you use them, and you get to keep some when you get out or retire. Job security has got to be one of the best there is as long as you never get yourself in deep trouble. Advancement in my line of work is cake if you can stand out above 75% of your platoon. Management was horrible at times in my opinion, sole reason for leaving something good. Job culture, best job I ever had.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Being away
The Army is a great place to find yourself whether you decide to make it a career or get out
Infantry Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vilseck, Germany Fort Drum, New YorkNovember 15, 2016
Whether you decide to stay in or get out, the Army is a good place to be.

It has a well established career path laid out for you. You know what objectives you need to complete in order to qualify for the next rank. The benefits for you and your family are excellent. The pension plan for 20 years of service is second to none.

The Army also affords you the opportunity to obtain a vast amount of industry certifications and higher learning opportunities. For those of us that chose not to pursue a career in the military, there are opportunities to increase your marketability through the programs the Army offers. Military experience and Veteran's status are things that companies find valuable.
Pros
Pension, set career path, education opportunities, marketability
Cons
deployments, work life balance
Leadership Institue of Higher Learning
Force Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCNovember 30, 2016
I enjoyed the Army. I have many fond memories, but what I enjoyed the most is working with teams, working through challenges, and accomplishing goals. There is nothing like a struggle-victory story and if you have the opportunity to serve or have served, then you will understand that no career is short of them. The opportunities I was privileged to obtain molded me into the leader I am today. They also forced me to ensure I continue to develop as a leader, a person, mentor, coach and listener. I can honestly say the Army prepared me to have a successful career within and outside of it. I look forward to added the numerous skills I have acquired to an organization with integrity and culture that cultivates growth and innovation.
Pros
Learned Leadership Skills, Benefits, Opportunites, Cultural experience, Travel, Comraderie
Cons
The Mission is Always First, Sacrifice Time, The Big Picture May Not Always Be Clear
General sharing of knowledge.
Air Defense Battle Management System Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXNovember 6, 2016
A typical day at work begins with physical conditioning from 6:30- 8:00 am. After 9 am Training begins and continues until lunch. Returning from our break we continue with the daily task and prepare for the following days or preparation of major events. Weekly and monthly management and maintenance of equipment to ensure that systems and other components are working properly. Working very closely with the individuals creates an unique partnership between co-workers in the work place. Working in extreme weather conditions. Most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to meet unique people from around the world from different backgrounds and of different cultures/ beliefs.
Pros
Work related events/ benefits.
Cons
Working under extreme conditions.
life in the united states army
Infantryman (11B) (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GADecember 2, 2016
If you're looking for honest patriotic work, then the Military is the way to go. A typical day would consist of an hour and a half if physical fitness followed by a full day of various activities performed in order to maintain mission readiness.

I learned how to project myself in a manner which enabled subordinates to look towards me for mentorship and professional growth.

Management is diverse

being in the military opens you to people who come from all walks of life. you are going to have Very Close relationships with them so try to be polite and show you're genuinely concerned with their professional growth

the hardest part of the job is waking up in the middle of nowhere and finding the motivation to tackle the day professionally and tactfully

the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you and your buddies got the job done.
Pros
30 day paid vacation, benefits, free fitness facilities
Cons
long hours, family separation.
Made me a man
Chemical Operations Specialist (74D) (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LA, KoreaNovember 30, 2016
I always tell people that I would never go back and undo my service but I would also never do it again. The contracts are long enough to determine if you would like to keep going. It takes a special breed of heroes to stick with it for the 20 years. But the healthcare, housing and free food all make the lower base pay actually equate into about twice of what it seems. After, the benefits are nice as well with a nice GI bill and disability for the heroes that lost more than the time.
Pros
Benefits, making friends for life, exploring the world, get in the best shape of your life
Cons
micromanagement all over, the wrong people want too much power, Injured soldiers are second class, long hours
Family Readiness Group Leader
Family Readiness Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 20, 2017
A typical day at work was going in and making sure everyone had what they needed. Making sure especially when they were deployed or in training that the families had all the information they could. I learned how to be a better listener and to work with people that had other opinions than myself. Management is not the same in the Military as it is in the civilian world. The culture was very disorganized but organized at the same time. The hardest part of the job was giving bad news. The most enjoyable was meeting new families and helping in any way I could.
Pros
The Benefits that come with being a military wife
Cons
Politics of the Military
A fun experience not meant for everyone
Multichannel Transmission Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZAugust 21, 2016
PROS - Overall a good experience were you learn to interact with people from different cultures and believes. Not your everyday job with lots of challenges and opportunities to expand your education. Many benefits which are rare on other work places. Leadership highly encourages furthering your education and most of them help on the process. The camaraderie is unique to the organization.

CONS - Highly toxic organization. Very unorganized. Too much time wasted on things of little to no value. Poor standardization of daily tasks. Poor time management due to the lack of SOP's or the use of the ones implemented. Highly toxic to soldiers with limitations.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
unorganized, almost no proffesionalism, toxicity among leaders
Stressful environment, Always work to be done
Diesel and Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAJanuary 6, 2017
Our typical work day was very long, and there was never a set time to get off work. The job was learn most things as you go. I learned to work hard all the way until the day is over. I also learned you are your own teacher and you will learn based off of the effort you put forth, so always put forth maximum effort because the more you know about your job the more valuable you are to the team. The management changes often and teaches you to adapt to new ways of doing things constantly. You ultimately spend so much time with your co-workers you establish a family tight relationship. The hardest part of the job was being away from home for weeks sometimes months at a time, and living in improvised quarters. The most enjoyable part of the job is no matter what situation your in or going through most of the time your co-workers are right there working hard and enduring the same obstacles.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
non-job related tasks, and non-job related promotions
Great leadership experience and self-development
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXDecember 9, 2016
The US Army was a great place to practice followership, leadership, and personal development. I learned how to communicate with and advise people of many different backgrounds and personalities.

As for the organization, the Army has a nearly impossible task to both prepare for the next war and work inside a constrained budget. This tug of war makes some days difficult.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, Benefits both monetary and non-monetary, Opportunity to serve the country
Cons
Poor management in some cases, Garrison missions that are tedious and boring, Not always doing your job
Overall experience- OK
Senior Logistics Officer (Current Employee) –  Ft. Bliss, TXSeptember 20, 2016
The U.S. Army provided me a lot of opportunities for job advancement, training, and valuable life skills in management and leadership. The hours could be long and unpredictable, with sometimes a bad work-life balance, but the benefits, experience, and knowledge gained outweighed the negative.

A typical day at work could be planned and organized, and change completely the next day. We always try to plan operations according to schedule, but other personnel or competing requirements can change the time schedule, budget, etc.
Pros
benefits, skills acquired
Cons
work life balance, long hours
U.S. Army
Chief of Operations & Strategic Plans (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 15, 2017
The U.S. Army has been and still is a stellar organization that affords opportunity for growth and develops America's sons and daughters into agile and adaptive leaders. Each and every work day encompasses a different challenge presented to the leaders and junior enlisted Soldiers alike. The climate and culture in the Army varies from organizational type (i.e. combat arms, medical, service support) however there is one positive constant which is the camaraderie that is developed daily between Soldiers. The most enjoyable part of my career has been developing and instilling junior leaders with knowledge and resources to be successful as I tell them that I expect them to replace me one day. The hardest part of my career has come as of late with the start of my family (wife and 2 young kids) and how I am consistently away from my family and I have missed a few of my sons' "firsts" and I strive to not miss anymore.
Pros
Healthcare benefits and extended off-days for all Federal Holidays
Cons
Retainment of ineffective leaders
Liaison Officer
Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXOctober 9, 2016
I have a lot of meeting to attend daily taking note and advising my leadership. I have learned how to communicate my concerns to all levels of management. Working with higher ups in the company is humbling as to learn what they deal with on a daily basis. My Co-workers support me with anything that I need, so I have no complaints. I do not enjoy sitting and taking notes at meetings all day, I'm more of a get out and talk with people and train, learn and network. I have had the chance to learn from a lot of senior leaders on how to speak with the top of the corporate ladder. That has been a enjoyable part to learn and to be able to give presentation at that level is also interesting.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Long hours some weekends and some 24 hour duties.
Great place to work lot of opportunities.
Automated Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYOctober 15, 2016
The U.S. Army provided me a lot of opportunities for job advancement, training, and life skills in management and leadership. The hours could be long and unpredictable, with sometimes a bad work-life balance, but the benefits, experience, and knowledge gained outweighed the negative.

The Army was one of the greatest experiences and one of the best decisions I have ever made
Pros
Benefits and life progression opportunities
Cons
Deployments, Time away from family
Demanding, Fast paced place to work
Supply Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCNovember 3, 2016
Typical day would start at 9:00AM. Everyday was a challenge, I got learn something new and complete a mission by the end of the day. I learned leadership at a high level and how to be an excellent Logistician. My co-workers were amazing and end up turning in to friends you will know forever. Hardest part of the job was getting everyone with many different backgrounds to come together and accomplish a mission. The most enjoyable part would be the traveling. You work with many different people in different countries, exploring new cultures.
Pros
days off, travel, experience
Cons
salary, long hours
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Aircraft Powertrain Repairer (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSSeptember 28, 2016
Work varies on any given day due to the needs of the Army. While under contract I was afforded numerous opportunities to enhance my knowledge and grow in my career field. Management and co-workers are among the most diverse in any career field due to people coming from all walks of life and all over the world. The hardest part of the job would be being adaptable to any situation the Army requires of an individual. The most enjoyable part of the job would be leading soldiers and performing tasks that as a civilian I would have never thought possible.
Pros
Benefits, family oriented, diverse work force, diverse duty day
Cons
Deployments, time away from family
Secure Environment with great potential for growth.
Senior Information Technology Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 3, 2016
My service in the United States Military has been very rewarding. At almost 10 years of service, I wish to continue said service for as long as possible.

Working with the latest in current civilian based technology and strategic military systems has allowed me to gain a wealth of knowledge in multiple fields.

Counterparts and associate are typically good friends that are irreplaceable. Connections made with said personnel usually last a lifetime.
Pros
Job security, promotion, and benefits.
Cons
Long hours, rank based pay.
Productive and busy workplace
Direct Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIJanuary 14, 2017
Great career. I trained many different soldiers and met many different people. I had great supervisors and leaders. The hardest part of my job was the rigorous field training involving weather of all conditions and training requirements that required me to be highly motivated and involved in what was going on. The most enjoyable part of my job was the men and women I worked with. That will be the hardest part to replace.
Pros
traveled around the world. great benefits. great people
Cons
long hours. Away from famiy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4