U.S. Army
22,153 reviews

U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Constant learning environment
Reserve Commissioned Officer- Second Lieutenant (Current Employee), Seagoville, TXJune 2, 2015
Pros: positive work environment
Cons: long drive to the unit
As a recently new member of the US Army I am constantly learning new information and knowledge from the leadership in the unit. Everyone is patient and willing to explain the details of tasks and required activities. I enjoy conversing with the Soldier's and getting their perspectives on the Army Reserve. The drill days are long but are always scheduled with classes and training. I learn a lot every time I drill.
Great Experience
Motor Transport Operator (Former Employee), Fort Polk, LAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Benefits, people
Cons: Pay, budget cuts, family time
A career that is physically and mentally demanding. Start the day at 0630 hrs with physical training and ending sometimes well after 1700 hrs. The job provided me with the skills and maturity that will last a lifetime. I learned how to over come any situation. The hardest part of the job was being away for months at a time and the most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of my soldiers. The Army developed me into a great leader. I served for almost 10 years, and I wouldn't change any of it!
professionalism and how to move forward.
Texas Department of Justice (Former Employee), ft drum new yorkJune 1, 2015
easy day of training and running drills. becoming a better soldier by learning more about my job and the job above me and training the ones below me.
learned management and how to deal with diverse cultures and the ability to pay attention to detail
Stressful but fun work place, great co-workers
Rifleman (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYJune 1, 2015
Pros: long breaks, great co-workers, healthcare
Cons: communication, sudden change, lack of resources
A typical day would start at 5:30am and would end at different times everyday. we would do verious jobs sometimes jobs over our pay grade. i've learned a lot for the army leaderships, situational awareness, and most impotantly how to work with a diverse group of people from different backgrounds. my co works also help me learn basic infantry tasks, drills, and terminology. the hardest part was that the job and task would change everyday and we would know until the very last minute. the most enjoyable part had to be my co- workers they became my family and taught me so much about myself and life.
An experience of a lifetime
Operations Sergeant Major (Former Employee), fort bragg, NCJune 1, 2015
A career in the Army is not only exciting it is life changing. You will learn life skills that average person never will. You will have something to talk about your entire life.
Good job
25U Signal Support Specialist (Former Employee), Ft. Gordon GAJune 1, 2015
Gave me skills to succeed in the civilian sector, Teamwork and leadership building were the forefront of training. Life was good there and time was well spent. Made friends and a lot of real life contacts in the process.
Productive workplace with very unique expierences
SIGNALS INTELLIGENCE ANALYST (Former Employee), Fort Lewis, WAJune 1, 2015
Pros: healthcare and other federal benefits
Cons: deployments
A typical day in the U.S. Army is quite hard to describe because hardly any day is the same as the last. Duties varied each day, but the skills I've learned within the army helped me to complete each tasking in a timely manner. There were many days were I was asked to work with technical equipment, such as radio communications, and was frequently asked to trouble shoot problems to make our equipment operational. I learned the importance of the discipline and attention to detail on a daily basis. I developed many leadership skills during my time in the army as well. I formed many great bonds with co-workers and our communication between one another helped make our jobs work in great cohesion. Teamwork is very important in accomplishing any company goal. The hardest part of the job was moving around a lot. Long training cycles and deployments were hard, but I really enjoyed learning all the skills from them that I carry with me today. The most enjoyable part of the job was the job itself. It was a very unique job and I enjoyed doing it when the opportunity to use those skills presented itself.
Fun work environment while maintaining military bearing
Parachute Rigger (Current Employee), Fort Valley, GAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Military benefits
Cons: A little unorganized some days
6:00am we have morning formation, then we have morning PT( physical training) for an hour. Then we start packing,inspecting, cleaning either personal or cargo chutes for airdrop. The job is repetitive and stressful but my fellow battles make it more enjoyable and we have a family bond.
The military is an excellent place to grow
Artillery Officer, Captain (Former Employee), Germany, New Jersey, OklahomaJune 1, 2015
Pros: The personal growth is immeasurable
Cons: The living conditions were challenging at times.
I was fortunate to have been an enlisted soldier before going to college and becoming an officer. Based on my experiences and assignments, the Army was very challenging because you often found yourself outside of your comfort zone. While this may sound unpleasant, it creates an excellent environment in which to grow. I've learned so much about people and more importantly, I learned a lot about myself. The Army does not make managers, it develops leaders.

The Army moves people, I was transferred, my co-workers were transferred, my leaders were transferred; you learn to work with people from all walks of life and you learn to make the best of it.

For me, the hardest part of the job were the living conditions, shaving and bathing in a mountain stream in water from melted snow was brutal; wearing a helmet and boots on the desert where there was no shade was torture. The most enjoyable part were the experiences I racked up over the years, meeting many different people and always learning something new.
Challenging
Diesel Technician (Current Employee), Fairbanks, AKJune 1, 2015
Pros: Great benfits package
Cons: Loosing time with family
Great place to learn a new skill
Advancement potential is not very good in certain fields
Family life not very important to the job
Management willing to train for further positions
diversity in the workplace with meeting new people from diffrent walks of life
hardest part of the job is spending a lot of time away from the family
Most enjoyable part of the job is konwing that you are working on defending your country
Not a job, a lifestyle
Tank Commander (Former Employee), Fort Carson, COJune 1, 2015
This was one of the best things I ever did with my life. There is a constant feeling of belonging. I really enjoyed my time serving.
A lot of work and a lot of fun
Squad Leader (Former Employee), Alaska, HawaiiJune 1, 2015
Pros: life long Friendships, Job security
Cons: leaving family for long periods of time, losing friends
Managing your fitness, maintaining you equipment, perfecting your soldiering skills. How to deal with people from all walks of life, race, religion, nationality. Interacting with all ranks, dealing with Squad leaders all the way up to Brigade Commander, chain of command was great throughout my career. Co workers are your life line, need help they were always there. Being away from family and friends, losing friends due to a plethora of reasons. Reuniting with family and friends.
Not for everyone but It was a good experiance for me.
Maintenance / Generator Mechanic (Current Employee), Ft. Gordan, GaJune 1, 2015
Pros: Benefits, admirble profession
Cons: Time away from family
Typical day consist of PT in the morning. At 0900 work call, repairing and maintaining equipment. It is an enjoyable job. I have learned to always push yourself. The quality of the management really depends on what Unit you are with so it does vary. The co-workers is one of the things that makes it worth it, special kind of bond. The hardest part of the job is being away from loved ones. The most enjoyable part is that it is always changing.
challenging
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJune 1, 2015
Pros: leadership development. challenging.
Cons: Deployment, Not alot of family time, Compensation
typical work day is 12 hours, wake up really early for physical training. great leadership development and challenging.
I am very productive
Petroleum Specialist/ Supply Manager (Former Employee), fort polk, laJune 1, 2015
Being in the army you deal with many obstacles and circumstances. I have learned a lot of ways to complete task and manage my supplies. Some jobs require more than one person, so I would have to say my co workers are a great asset.
Great team spirit
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXJune 1, 2015
Pros: It’s great to work with people that care about their company and doing a good job
Most days I get to work a little bit early so that I can prioritize may task for the day and go over emails. Meet with my supervisor and workmates we go over what is expected for the day.

My career history and education has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including the ability to work accurately with numbers; preparation of the general ledger entries, reconciling accounts; analyzing, consolidating and interpreting financial accounting data; investigating and resolving discrepancies; creating reports and presentations to detail results.
Armor Crewman (Former Employee), worldwideJune 1, 2015
Military taught me about Honesty, integrity, ethics and pride within God, my Country and Family also how to work hard at my job no matter how small the job was.
Great job, but highly discriminatory and insular
Section Leader/Unit Medpros NCOIC/DTS Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Myer, VAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Lots of time off, though you never quite know when it will happen
Cons: Promotions, favoritism, "good ol' boy" mentality
What a terrific job to have as a professional musician! Very exciting place to work, always changing, and performing for VIP's in both the government and civilian sectors routinely.

Not a great place for advancement, however, as slots are few, and NCOIC comments are given far too much weight on promotion panels. Because of the 'fraternal' nature of this organization, there are "in" crowds, and those who are definitely not "in" the crowd.

Favoritism is rampant among all the elements, and the insular nature of the organization keeps it immune from productive criticism.
GOOD OLD BOY SYSTEM
Generator Mechanic (Former Employee), Fort Leonard Wood, MOJune 1, 2015
Pros: YOU TAKEN CARE OF
Cons: SFC GARNETS HE IS A SNAKE IN THE GRASS
THE GOOD OLD BOY SYSTEM IS IN FULL AFFECT. THE PEOPLE THERE ARE SO TIED INTO THERE SELF WHEN THEY DO NOT WANT A CERTAIN PERSON IN THE MILITARY THEY DO WHATEVER THEY CAN TO GET THEM OUT EVEN IF THE PERSON IS NOT REALLY A BAD PERSON
Excellent job experience, best 20 years.
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Fort Sill, OKJune 1, 2015
Pros: Great health care
Cons: long days
Worked for the US Army for 20 years. Seen places which normally I wouldn't see. The days are long at times. Your day starts around 6 am to do physical training for an hour to an hour and half. Work call is at 9 am were you start doing the job you are assigned to.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Army

The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. – Read more

U.S. Army Salaries