U.S. Army
23,450 reviews

U.S. Army Employee Reviews

No regrets
Non Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), Fort George Meade, MarylandJuly 28, 2015
I served in Iraq. Did my duty to my country and received my honorable discharge.

If I had to do it over I would have gone to college first then become an officer. But either way enlisted or officer- some people go in the military as an experience or as a career. For me? I got the experience then went to college. If you want to really get ahead in the military treat day 1 as a competition and strive to be #1. Otherwise, do your tour and get out. Especially with the military down-sizing going on today- if you aren't serious about your job you will get weeded out.
Greatest Job I Ever Had
Target Acquisition Platoon Leader (Current Employee), Schofield Barracks, HIJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Medical Care, Job Stability, Personal Interaction, Life Changing Experiences
Cons: Time spent away from family
I started everyday off with at least an hour of exercise which got my day off on the right foot. I got to interact with Soldiers of all education levels and backgrounds. I learned the intricacies of leader development, time management and efficiency. I managed 28 Soldiers in a deployable Brigade Combat Team through multiple field training exercises and limited resources due to budget cuts. I maintained a professional network of individuals of all ranks that assisted in smooth transitions of an ever changing mission set. The hardest part of my job was finding enough time in the day to complete every mission while balancing a professional and personal life. The most enjoyable aspect of my job was getting to interact with Soldiers every day and teach them from my experiences.
Improve self discipline and self management.
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee), OklahomaJuly 28, 2015
Being in the Army helped me learn to deal with difficult situations, I have to be flexible, where everything is constantly changing. I learned to adopt to the environment and more important part is team work.
Fast paced work environment that breeds you for success.
Unmanned aircraft systems maintenance technician (Current Employee), Fort Drum, NYJuly 27, 2015
Fast paced work environment that generously provides training for the betterment of yourself. Physical and mental conditioning that will prepare you for any situation.
What I've learned
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), KuwaitJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Work Experience
Cons: Deployment
When deployed in Kuwait this past year, I learned vast amount of tools. The tools were ArcSight, Arcsight Logger, Netscout, and Sourcefire. I had soldiers and contractors that i worked side by side with that offered a vast amount of knowledge. I had a professional environment with people that enjoyed fun and fooling around as well.
Greatest job ever
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Myers, VAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Advancement opportunities, Leadership development
Cons: absences from family
We do more before nine than most do all day. Family focused and employee oriented. Build self esteem, develop job skills. Duty, honor, country!
Good at time bad at time
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Colorado SpringsJuly 27, 2015
It is the army, it is forced communism, lack of planning, pitiful pay, long hours, and little purpose when not deployed.
not valued
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYJuly 27, 2015
not valued as a civilian or respected for education. Rewarding patients fast paced environment. Work days can start from 7-430 with a 30 minute lunch break online CEU;s offered is nice
Fun and challenging place to work
Human Intelligence Collector (Current Employee), Fort Bragg, NCJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, training, seeing different parts of the country
Cons: Advancement, living where you would like
A normal work day for me in the Army started with physical training, either running or muscle failure exercises. After physical training I would head to my office where we would work on upcoming training exercises, which would usually consist of creating roles for some of the individuals participating in the exercises, create reports that would be used in the excise and if needed help develop the scenario. If there was not an exercise planned we would work on our report writing skills as well as our intelligence gathering skills. This would sometimes be in the form of a class taught by our non-commissioned – more... officers or government contractors on the instillation.

The biggest thing that I learned during my time in the Army was how to work with people with all different personalities and how to adjust to changes quickly. Regularly during our preparation for training exercises the scenarios would change which would mean that we would have to change our reports or the roles that we had created. Being flexible is key when your working with people that are not always in the same office and that had differing ideas of what should or should not be in the exercise. My job as a human intelligence collector also gave me an opportunity to become a better public speaker and become more comfortable talking to not just my direct supervisors but non-commissioned officers and officers from other units that I would not normally talk with on a daily basis. We would have to brief people from outside of our office about our part in the exercise, some of which did may not have a solid understanding of my job. Being knowledgeable of the responsibilities of my job and how they effected other peoples jobs, gave me a better understanding of my own job.

My leaders changed a few times and with the changes in leaders came changes in personalities and how things would be done. My direct supervisors have always helped me and my co-works adjust to the ever changing environment that is the Army. They would also offer help outside of work. If someone in my family was sick they would always ask how they could help, or if I needed anything. My co-workers were the same way. Everyone looked out for each other. It didn't matter if it was something as easy as helping someone move or as difficult as someone's loved one passing away, we worked together to help each other get through the hard times in life.

The hardest part of the job was advancement. Moving up in the Army is based on your job and a points system. Points were earned through job specific schools, deployments, weapons ranges and physical training test scores. The highest amount of points that could be required is 798 points, which without deployments and multiple job specific schools is very hard to reach. For most of my time here promotion points have been at 798, which made it very difficult to move up in rank. The other hard part about the military is that you miss out on big events in your friend's and family's lives, like weddings, children being born or sometimes seeing loved ones before they pass. I have missed 3 or 4 weddings of real good friends, and seeing my family, due to training exercises.

The best part of my job is getting to talk with people and learning how to read people's body language. Being able to read people's body language and listening to what they are actually saying, instead of thinking about what your going to say back as allowed me to become better at defusing situations where someone was upset. I have learned that sometimes people want to feel like their issues are important even when we don't agree. – less
challenging , rewarding , rich in culture
STATION COMMANDER (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLJuly 27, 2015
Pros: traveling, promotions, benefits
Cons: deployments, time away from your family
Loved every moment while i served will do it all over again, best years of my life, wish i could have stayed longer it taught me a lot about life and commitment to something and loyalty to others.
A fun career but daily tests are guaranteed
Petroleum Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Hood, TXJuly 27, 2015
Pros: benefits, lots of vacation time
Cons: lots of down time
A typical day at work consisted of basically fulfilling my job description to the fullest. During my time in this field I have learned to become more patient and learned to take my time with co workers because not everyone is on the same wave length. The hardest part of this job was the fact that here was a lot of down time and made it hard for me because I love to work so I always found myself taking the initiative and figuring out what to do next. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bond that was built between me and my subordinates which made our days fun by working together to accomplish tasks.
It was okay right out of high school
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee), Vildflecken, GeermanyJuly 27, 2015
It was okay right out of high school. I learned a lot different traits, that civilians would not have to do. It was a great experience
Best 20 years of my life
Aviation Operation Sergeant (Former Employee), Fort Drum, NYJuly 27, 2015
Retired but I loved the 20 years I spent in the Army. I got to travel and see places that other people won't ever get to see. But Im glad its done
Typical Day
Specialist (Current Employee), Schofield BarracksJuly 27, 2015
Let's get through the basics. A soldier's daily life is not that different from the life you lead now. You'll still eat the food you normally eat. You'll sleep in a regular bed. You'll shop, worship, maintain and live your daily life pretty much as you do now. There are vets to take care of your pets, chapels and religious buildings, grocery stores, dry cleaners, etc. You name it and it probably exists on or near your Post, no matter where you are. Sure, the names of places have changed, but the game really hasn't. In fact, there are a number of things that might actually be better.
good benefits and job security
Army Healthcare Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYJuly 27, 2015
Did not allow for much family time as I would like but did have really good benefits. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience and I do not regret my decision of working here.
Relax stress free enviroment
automated logistical speacilist (Current Employee), Fort Lewis, WAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: long breaks
Cons: short breaks
A stress free work environment with a diverse group of highly motivated co workers. Currently work about 12 hours a day in a support supply activity warehouse I am proficient in every section
Equal opportunty advisor (Former Employee), miamiJuly 27, 2015
I think everyone should serve the country and gives young men and women an opportunity to see and travel the world Great retirement package
Challenging
Supply Sergeant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 27, 2015
Job is very challenging and demanding. Would recommend that anyone who can join and not only get the tools in life to be successful but to serve there country.
Army Deployment
Deputy ASG-KU Commander's Initiative Group (Former Employee), KuwaitJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Very satisfying work
Cons: away from my family
Very long days addressing very complicated contracting issues. I assigned work to my subordinates, provided feedback and mentorship on their work and evaluated them every three months.
good work place
Infantryman (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 27, 2015
Pros: constant pay, good job security
good to learn job skills. Teaches soldiers how to become leaders. The people make the work place. Good opportunities to cross train with other job fields.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Army

The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. – Read more

U.S. Army Salaries