U.S. Army Employee Reviews in United States

Found 31,110 reviews matching the search
The Army is a great place to find yourself whether you decide to make it a career or get out
IT PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMarch 24, 2016
Whether you decide to stay in or get out, the Army is a good place to be.

It has a well established career path laid out for you. You know what objectives you need to complete in order to qualify for the next rank. The benefits for you and your family are excellent. The pension plan for 20 years of service is second to none.

The Army also affords you the opportunity to obtain a vast amount of industry certifications and higher learning opportunities. For those of us that chose not to pursue a career in the military, there are opportunities to increase your marketability through the programs the Army offers. Military experience and Veteran's status are things that companies find valuable.
Pros
Pension, set career path, education opportunities, marketability
Cons
deployments, work life balance
The best leadership development organization in the world
S3 (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 2, 2016
But the worst talent management organization in the world too. The army is a great place to grow into your leadership skills. You will have experiences that really test your mettle. You will certainly learn more about your personal limits. The benefits are hard to beat, and the pay has pretty much come on line with most civilian counterparts. The down side is that, a lot of people believe that there is good job security. As it turns out, there isn't. I've worked for people who I can't understand how they ascended to their rank, and I've seen amazing leaders selected for involuntary separation due to drawdowns. So if you want to make it a career, understand, it's as volatile as any where else you'll work as far as job security.
Pros
30 days leave per year; generally good camaraderie; strong leadership development if you seek it.
Cons
Definitely not a 9-5 job, especially if you're a leader.
Very rewarding career that took me all over the world
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMarch 25, 2016
The US Army was a great place to work. I enjoyed my time in the military and worked with some really great people over the years. The typical workday was never typical because there were always new problems to solve. I learned how to be a very good leader and it taught me the important management skills I needed to be successful in today's job market. I had some of the best co-workers a person could ask for. Very professional personnel that knew how to do their jobs and had a passion for accomplishing objectives. The hardest part of the job was the moving from location every 12-24 months. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amount of experience I gained from travelling all over the world.
Pros
great people to work with and the hidden benefits
Cons
moving every couple of years take a toll
Military Work
Transportation Coordination Manager (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day in my previous position, was 5 am workouts, followed by breakfast, ready at work by 7:30 am, worked till 7:30 pm. Work consisted of management of my section, making sure my soldiers under me were taken care of and doing their jobs correctly and in a timely manner. Hardest part of the job was the hours, they were exhausting but I did what I had to do. Most enjoyable part of the job was learning new applications (such as: Microsoft Excel and Power Point). My supervisor was good, but the chain of command (our superiors) didn't really care about the well being of their soldiers too much, our needs weren't a priority and that weakened morale.
Pros
Good food, good benefits, good trade skills
Cons
Long hours, long time away from home
Productive and fun places to work.
Maintenance Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMarch 13, 2016
Typical day at work starts around 6:30 am with PT (physical training).
Then around 9:00 am is work call. Having all the different set times has taught me the meaning of time management and how to the best work with the alloted time for work. Having worked with a multi culteral and diverse workforce is and has been an amazing experience. The hardest part of being in the military is time away from home and not knowing what to think or what your family is going to think when they see you for the first time in nine months. The most enjoyable part and probably the hardest part of leaving this job is leaving the friendships created over the years. Management was a bit of a mess on busy days, but at the end of the day the job was done.
Pros
Great friends, good benefits
Cons
Undertermined time away from family.
Career advancement opportunites, Great benefits
Multichannel Transmission Systems Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCFebruary 24, 2016
Typical day at work consist of long hours, hard labor, lifting/standing,
Training soldiers.
Learned time management, Learned about various communication equipment. Learned how to encrypt certain comsec devices. Learned how to drive and operate various military vehicles including HMMV, FMTV, LMTV, 40 Passenger bus with ABS.
Management was structured and operated under a chain of command with an open door policy system.
Developed great bonds with co-workers, excellent communication and team work. Exercised various team building exercises.
The hardest part of my job was being away from family long periods of time. Sometimes I would be gone for months at a time do to training or deployment.
The most enjoyable part of my job was coming home to support from friends and family. It makes everything I fight for worth fighting for.
Pros
Benefits, Education, Career advancement opportunities
Cons
Long hours, Hard labor, relocation when needed
hit or miss on enjoyment depending on the life style you prefer.
Chinook helicopter mechanic/ Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 11, 2016
A typical day is from 630 am to whenever work is complete
Ive learned personnel management skills time management skills organizational and quick problem solving skills. Also, I have expanded my mechanical knowledge administrative skills and computer skills greatly.
Management is a low part of the army. Senior leaders do not communicate well, and do not seem like they care about your best interest.
Hardest part of the job is being away from family for extended periods of times sometimes with not more than 4 hours notice.
Best part of the job is seeing the world and experiencing new people and cultures.
Pros
hour and half lunch breaks, good pay and benefits, holidays, provided work cloths, paid travel, new senior managers every 2-3 years, onsight healthcare
Cons
new senior managers every 2-3 years, extended periods of being away from family, every task is a process that takes forever
Military Police Corp
Military Police, U.S. Army (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KY and Schofield Barracks, HIFebruary 18, 2016
Working law enforcement duties from traffic stops to Criminal cases. Learned how to be an effective leader, interpersonal communication skills and how to write detailed reports. Also learned how to deal with stressful and an ever changing environment. Management for the most part was great all depended on you chain of command, some were better then others. Most co-workers were wonderful to work with. Hardest part of the job was dealing with people that were in a stressed out state of mind and being able to keep them calm and resolve the situation. Most enjoyable part of the job was have the satisfaction of knowing that you have helped an individual in need of assistance.
Pros
Superior Benefits and a stable job with room for advancement
Cons
Time away from family, Low Pay for what you do
Productive and Professional work environment
Human Resource Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYMarch 11, 2016
As a Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO), in the army I have been responsible for managing individuals for over 16 years. Counseling was a mandatory requirement of my position throughout my military career. I have effectively counseled countless individuals during my tenure in the army. On several occasions I have assisted and developed programs essential to training individuals on required specific material. During my time as a soldier I became familiar with military benefits and the educational needs of many soldiers, dependents and veterans.
The hardest part of being a soldier was the separation from my family and the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was helping to make my country safe.
Benefits
Cons
Retirement
One Team, One Fight
Petroleum Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIFebruary 18, 2016
A day of work in the ARMY is crucial to our Mission readiness and personnel accountability. We work as a team to accomplish our daily tasking, details and mission. Meeting and working with different Soldiers from around the world is totally awesome. We are a family of different race, color, origin. Respect and Loyalty is our heart in the workforce. Leaders are our backbone in the workforce and they play a very important role in our military life. They help us achieve personally and career wise. The hardest part of the job is working prolong hours than you normally do.
Pros
Benefits are excellent, traveling as part of relocating duty stations, leave days are awesome
Cons
work 0600-1800 daily or longer
Professional and exciting
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYMarch 19, 2016
A day in the garrison consisted of early morning formation with physical training then checking my systems and provided soldiers with customer service in their human resources needs. I learned leadership skills and how to be a professional individual. The management and the chain of command along with my co workers were the best people I worked with caring about the tasks and missions they were assigned to. The hardest part of the job was the deployments and the loss of individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a diffrence in the world and travel.
Pros
Pride, military discounts, amazing benefits
Cons
Being away from home all the time.
Fast paced adventure with great benifits!
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Camp Long Korea, Ft. Bliss TX, Kadena AFB JapanFebruary 18, 2016
Very demanding environment, maintaining constant communications with Headquarters and the mobile missile batteries.

Learned extensive knowledge on encryption, VHF/UHF devices, as well as internet protocols, atmospheric interference, and customer service.

Was able to supply leadership to 15 personnel, ensuring unbroken 24 hour communications.

Had a very proficient team of motivated professionals. This made the day go by fast and uneventful.

The hardest part of the job was all of the time required away from family and completing the certification trainings.

The most enjoyable part of my job, was the knowledge that I was protecting my friends and loved ones 24/7.
Pros
Great medical benifits, excellent friends, awesome leadership.
Cons
Very long hours and equipment failures.
Great organization with amazing benefits
Staff Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 8, 2016
The United States Army is an incredible place to begin your career. This business is designed to take people from all levels of knowledge and skill and grow them into capable leaders. The environment provides employees the opportunity to learn resiliency and flexibility. There are always going to be people you enjoy working for and those you do not. My time in the Army I have had considerable more time working with management that was disciplined and impressive leaders. The Army provides an environment that more like a family than a business.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Deployments
Great experience with Great benefits
Counterintelligence Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Leavenworth, KSMarch 15, 2016
Advice to Management

Work hard to retain those who are top performers. Sell the benefits package and retirement plan to retain key personnel. Dont let rank get in your way. Regardless if your General or a private, if an idea is logical or more practical, listen to that person. Too many seniors fail to listen to others and more often than not, that decision is based off rank or age.
Pros
Excellent benefits and job opportunities.
Cons
Moving from palce to place is hard on the family and is challenging to maintain close friends
Day in the life as a soldier
19D Scout (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 5, 2016
A typical day at work was not so exciting. Training could be fun at times and also helpful. I learned a lot through out my career as far as becoming a better person and how to be resilient. The Army trained me well for my job as a 19 Delta Cavalry Scout. The hardest part of my job was being treated like a child. Although you wear the uniform and raise your hand to serve a lot of your rights as a person aren't always there. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to say that I served and made a difference for my country.
Pros
paid vacation
Cons
Long hours with no over time
Lifetime of experience With US Army
Operations Manager (Operations NCO) (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIApril 5, 2016
The time spent in the U.S. Army was worth every minute. i have learned invaluable life experiences working alongside some of the most dedicated and selfless serving individuals in the world. Although at times the work could be difficult it has taught me how to overcome obstacles and processes by allowing me to think outside the box to fix any situation that occurred. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part of the job. This is when I was given the opportunity to deploy to Iraq as the team lead in police transition training with the Iraqi Police. The language barrier between U.S. personnel and Iraqi personnel was the toughest part, but with the use of good interpreters the mission was accomplished in training the Iraqi police in my area of operations to become self sustaining. This brought a more stable and peaceful atmosphere to the region.
Pros
Benefits, health care, housing
Cons
family seperations
Inefficient, poor dissemination of information.
Army Ranger (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAFebruary 13, 2016
Most people were just there to clock in and clock out. No one wanted to work hard or help each other out to make things run more smoothly and efficiently. The hardest part of the job was trying to get things accomplished when no one else wanted to work. I learned a lot about how to motivate people to work hard and get things done even when other people had no motivation to do anything. The most enjoyable part of the job was when things actually came together and we were able to effectively do our job on target and see how the work we had put in actually paid off.
Pros
Guns, Helicopters, Airplanes, Explosions.
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Compensation, Missed Meals
Profesional.
Motor Transportation Operator NCO (Former Employee) –  Fort Wainwright, AK 99703April 5, 2016
A typical day of work consisted of getting information about what needed to get done then going to the motor pool and completing the tasks. I learned a lot about working as a team and how to lead and teach new soldiers. As an Non commissioned officer I was in charge of a group of around eight soldiers for whom I was responsible for training. Most of my co workers were very knowledgeable about there jobs. The hardest part was going to the field training or on long deployments to other countries. the most enjoyable part was training new soldiers and meeting new people.
Pros
Great benifits, lots of education.
Cons
Being away for long periods of time.
Great foundation for building success, will make a true professional
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  VaroiusFebruary 26, 2016
During my long tenure in the military, i went from being a kid to a true professional. Through learning and leadership development, you learn from great / and not so great leaders but you still learn. Advancement in there. You will be structured, experience many difference places and deal with stressful situations you will overcome and be proud you did.You will be a Soldier once and forever!
Pros
Health Benefits / Food. You will be taken care of personally and proffesionally
Cons
Some poor management
Not just a job... A way of life.
Training Team and Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 6, 2016
Working for the U.S. Army has truly been an adventure. It's not a 9-5 job, it's a lifestyle. The Army is part of your life all day every day. Core values of: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage, are instilled from the beginning and lived throughout your career and beyond. I'm proud to have served, and privileged to have had the amazing experiences that come with this career.
Pros
Benefits (medical, compensation, paid holidays), job security
Cons
Contractual requirements

4.4