U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 35,319 reviews matching the search
Great place to be and best people in the world
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work was doing our physical training in the morning and having breakfast. At 9 AM we would go to work and do our normal maintenance job on all the vehicles for that day and then at 5 PM we would go home. I learned so much in the Army. They taught me how to better myself and lead myself to better things. I also learned to lead and motivate others to do the same. My bosses and team mates were the best of people. We knew what had to be done and we got it done. The hardest part of my job was making those tough decisions that had to be made. The easiest part was being with my team mates and getting every job done
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, Advancement, Job Culture
Cons
Being away from family for long periods of time
The Army is a great place to find yourself whether you decide to make it a career or get out
Infantry Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vilseck, Germany Fort Drum, New YorkNovember 15, 2016
Whether you decide to stay in or get out, the Army is a good place to be.

It has a well established career path laid out for you. You know what objectives you need to complete in order to qualify for the next rank. The benefits for you and your family are excellent. The pension plan for 20 years of service is second to none.

The Army also affords you the opportunity to obtain a vast amount of industry certifications and higher learning opportunities. For those of us that chose not to pursue a career in the military, there are opportunities to increase your marketability through the programs the Army offers. Military experience and Veteran's status are things that companies find valuable.
Pros
Pension, set career path, education opportunities, marketability
Cons
deployments, work life balance
life in the united states army
Infantryman (11B) (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GADecember 2, 2016
If you're looking for honest patriotic work, then the Military is the way to go. A typical day would consist of an hour and a half if physical fitness followed by a full day of various activities performed in order to maintain mission readiness.

I learned how to project myself in a manner which enabled subordinates to look towards me for mentorship and professional growth.

Management is diverse

being in the military opens you to people who come from all walks of life. you are going to have Very Close relationships with them so try to be polite and show you're genuinely concerned with their professional growth

the hardest part of the job is waking up in the middle of nowhere and finding the motivation to tackle the day professionally and tactfully

the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you and your buddies got the job done.
Pros
30 day paid vacation, benefits, free fitness facilities
Cons
long hours, family separation.
Often Frustrating, but worth it if can last 20y
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Georgia, KoreaFebruary 3, 2017
Long work days, hard on family if married or have kids, Deployments, Military always comes first regardless of what anyone says, home is never where you want it and is never set regardless of what you think or promised, often to many chiefs and not enough Indians, to often potent leadership is appointed into positions and discourage the ones below.

However if you can make it 20 years to retirement yo will be rewarded handsomely and as long as you document all injuries and keep your files up to date can collect even more money on top of that. Benefits are great when married but DO NOT use that as an excuse to get married because a bad marriage will destroy your career! (your spouse is a representative of you)
Benefits
Cons
WorkLate, controversial leadership, unknown locations for living, Deployments
Made me a man
Chemical Operations Specialist (74D) (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LA, KoreaNovember 30, 2016
I always tell people that I would never go back and undo my service but I would also never do it again. The contracts are long enough to determine if you would like to keep going. It takes a special breed of heroes to stick with it for the 20 years. But the healthcare, housing and free food all make the lower base pay actually equate into about twice of what it seems. After, the benefits are nice as well with a nice GI bill and disability for the heroes that lost more than the time.
Pros
Benefits, making friends for life, exploring the world, get in the best shape of your life
Cons
micromanagement all over, the wrong people want too much power, Injured soldiers are second class, long hours
Family Readiness Group Leader
Family Readiness Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 20, 2017
A typical day at work was going in and making sure everyone had what they needed. Making sure especially when they were deployed or in training that the families had all the information they could. I learned how to be a better listener and to work with people that had other opinions than myself. Management is not the same in the Military as it is in the civilian world. The culture was very disorganized but organized at the same time. The hardest part of the job was giving bad news. The most enjoyable was meeting new families and helping in any way I could.
Pros
The Benefits that come with being a military wife
Cons
Politics of the Military
Leadership Institue of Higher Learning
Force Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCNovember 30, 2016
I enjoyed the Army. I have many fond memories, but what I enjoyed the most is working with teams, working through challenges, and accomplishing goals. There is nothing like a struggle-victory story and if you have the opportunity to serve or have served, then you will understand that no career is short of them. The opportunities I was privileged to obtain molded me into the leader I am today. They also forced me to ensure I continue to develop as a leader, a person, mentor, coach and listener. I can honestly say the Army prepared me to have a successful career within and outside of it. I look forward to added the numerous skills I have acquired to an organization with integrity and culture that cultivates growth and innovation.
Pros
Learned Leadership Skills, Benefits, Opportunites, Cultural experience, Travel, Comraderie
Cons
The Mission is Always First, Sacrifice Time, The Big Picture May Not Always Be Clear
Excellent place to work and to be
LPN for the 10th Combat Support Hospital (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYFebruary 14, 2017
The Army changed my life. Made me a man. If I could I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. If I could I would go back in my uniform in a heartbeat. The skills I learned, the values and ethics I learned, you can't find it anywhere else in today's workplace. There is a culture, a mindset and a mentality of winning and doing that makes you able to face anything, makes you unstoppable and makes you ready for anything. Until you get out. Then you are screwed. So if you are reading this and are thinking of getting in, get in. If you are in and thinking of getting out, never get out.
Pros
Excellent pay and opportunities, excellent lifestyle if single
Cons
Not enough education on transition assistance/VA benefits
Fulfilling ministry opportunities to minister to Soldiers and Families all over the world in the field, in garrison and in combat.
Family Life Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Fort Knox, KYFebruary 18, 2017
This must be a calling. It took me nine years to meet all of the qualifications. Getting Clinical Pastoral Education before I came on Active Duty was great preparation. Great camaraderie. Quality people for the most part. Make friends quick. Close knit. Great pay and benefits. Hard on the family. Long hours, hard work, lots of separation from family. Risky. Some really great leaders but also a lot of toxic leaders--commanders AND chaplains. Retirement plan is great.
Pros
Meaningful, challenging, adventurous
Cons
Separation from family, toxic leaders
Turned my life Around
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wainwright, AKFebruary 16, 2017
This was a awesome place to work. There can be many bad things said about how the Military does it job, but in all reality they take care of you. A typical day at work was P.T. at 630 in the morning until 8. Then you have about an hour to take a shower and eat then it was to work until about 6 pm. There were so many different things we could do in one day, and I will not let anyone know what we actually do. Management changed frequently, in the military you go to different duty stations about every 3 years. So there is always a change in scenery. The workplace culture was diverse. Many different cultures and races and religions clashes together to make one dominant, non stop, best fighting force in the world. Hardest part of the job was leaving my family behind all the time. We spent a lot of time apart but the military does take care of their soldiers families. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradery built between your brothers in arms.
Pros
Steady life and pay check, benefits
Cons
Spend a lot of time away from family
U.S. Army
Chief of Operations & Strategic Plans (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 15, 2017
The U.S. Army has been and still is a stellar organization that affords opportunity for growth and develops America's sons and daughters into agile and adaptive leaders. Each and every work day encompasses a different challenge presented to the leaders and junior enlisted Soldiers alike. The climate and culture in the Army varies from organizational type (i.e. combat arms, medical, service support) however there is one positive constant which is the camaraderie that is developed daily between Soldiers. The most enjoyable part of my career has been developing and instilling junior leaders with knowledge and resources to be successful as I tell them that I expect them to replace me one day. The hardest part of my career has come as of late with the start of my family (wife and 2 young kids) and how I am consistently away from my family and I have missed a few of my sons' "firsts" and I strive to not miss anymore.
Pros
Healthcare benefits and extended off-days for all Federal Holidays
Cons
Retainment of ineffective leaders
Great leadership experience and self-development
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXDecember 9, 2016
The US Army was a great place to practice followership, leadership, and personal development. I learned how to communicate with and advise people of many different backgrounds and personalities.

As for the organization, the Army has a nearly impossible task to both prepare for the next war and work inside a constrained budget. This tug of war makes some days difficult.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, Benefits both monetary and non-monetary, Opportunity to serve the country
Cons
Poor management in some cases, Garrison missions that are tedious and boring, Not always doing your job
US Army
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCNovember 28, 2016
In the Army, I have experienced vast quantities of training opportunities and leadership events. During a traditional work day, I work to maintain battalion clearance access rosters, physical and personnel security standards, and classified material accountability and security measures. I manage multiple security representatives to ensure that timely and accurate accountability occurs on a monthly basis, implementing appropriate training standards for policy. I enjoy serving the military and the mission that we support; promoting American sovereignty.
Pros
Healthcare, benefits, stability, training opportunities
Cons
Long hours, intense training cycles, differing styles of leadership
fast past work
Cargo Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Story, VAJanuary 27, 2017
a typical day in the army, consist of getting up at 0500 to be on morning formation to salute the flag, after the salute, we proceed to do physical fitness for about an hour or two. After PT we get one hour and a half to take a shower and eat breakfast. a normal work hour begins at 0900 every day unless you have a mission or duty. at that time you report to your duty position and be there until 1700 or until you get realize from work, sometimes you stay at work until 2200.
During my time in the military, I learn how to keep track of people, managing soldiers, how to operate multiple types of vehicles.
The hardest part of this job would have to be deployments. when you deploy you spend 9 to 12 months in a different country, sometimes without being able to communicate with family members.
The most enjoyable part of this career is all the friendships that you make or all the opportunities that you have to advance in life. also going to the range and fields are fun parts.
Pros
travel, medical benefits
Cons
little free time
General sharing of knowledge.
Air Defense Battle Management System Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXNovember 6, 2016
A typical day at work begins with physical conditioning from 6:30- 8:00 am. After 9 am Training begins and continues until lunch. Returning from our break we continue with the daily task and prepare for the following days or preparation of major events. Weekly and monthly management and maintenance of equipment to ensure that systems and other components are working properly. Working very closely with the individuals creates an unique partnership between co-workers in the work place. Working in extreme weather conditions. Most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to meet unique people from around the world from different backgrounds and of different cultures/ beliefs.
Pros
Work related events/ benefits.
Cons
Working under extreme conditions.
progress and achieve
Infantryman (11b) (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXDecember 4, 2016
wearing the uniform and being a part of something that your actions can be a part of a major difference in life is a sense of pride and duty in which you much keep a professional demeanor and have the up most confidence to lead from the front. when an obstacle were to raise up you must keep a calm and steady mind in order and guide your workers into success. try to think of every angle you can approach the situation to achieve the mission in a timely manner. accomplishing any given task has its own rewards knowing that your team is a fit and knowledgeable group that encourages one and another keeping morale up
Pros
working with others and leading from the front
Cons
achieving the tasks given to one and finishing in a timely manner
Great salary, benefits, and unforgettable life experience
US Army Transportation Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TexasJanuary 6, 2017
I enjoyed my time in the military overall. I am a strong person with integrity, values, and perseverance because of it. Is not for the weak at heart. The person and skill set I have today came at a price. Was challenging in every aspect- physically, mentally, and emotionally- every step of the way...but I wouldn't trade it for anything. The hardest part for me was deployment and all the time spent away from my family. I also despised the strict uniform regulations and the tough, unforgiving facade put on by the majority of management and my coworkers during working hours. Im a sensitive pushover and I never really did not take it personally. In the end, THE PROS OUTWEIGH THE CONS! You will be a better person with a lifetime of PROUD and memories for any time spent serving our beautiful U.S. ❤️
Pros
UNBEATABLE benefits, skills learned
Cons
Mentally and physically challenging- Unprepared for civilian life in many ways
Very productive and challenging workplace
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, CODecember 12, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of using excel, word, power point, emilpo and daily filing. From being in the service as a Human Resource Specialist I learned how to manage people; pay inquiries, vacation days, and worked in customer service. My manager handled higher pay grade items and my co-workers assisted in various levels of tasks. The hardest part of the job was being consistent there were always obstacles that i had to face in order to complete my assignment. The most enjoyable part about the job was being able to encounter new faces on a day to day basis, that really improved my customer service skills.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Very unorganized, Management
Being A Part of a Different Unit Would Have Been Better
Health Care Specialist (68W) (Current Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WANovember 1, 2016
I was attached to a unit whose mission was to respond to a natural disaster when activated by the President. Lots of admin stuff that goes with that mission. When I joined, I was thinking emergency medicine and treating life threatening injuries. But unfortunately, my entire experience was counting medical supplies and putting bandages on manikins. But I met a lot of great people and hard workers. I am grateful for my US Army experience.
Pros
Breakfast and lunch breaks, full benefits, salaried pay, federal holidays off, paid leave
Cons
Long hours, can be on a field exercise in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do for weeks at a time, when no work needs done work is found to be done through janitorial and gardening services, the government is losing money and it shows in the quality of training
Lots of fun and lots of nonsense
Artillery, Squad Leader, Armorer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 10, 2016
I served as 13D Field Artillery Tactical Data Specialists during my time, and enjoyed my job greatly. I was fortunate enough during my time in Afghanistan to actually be able to do my job along with a lot of other fun ones, as a lot of my comrades did not. Your days are filled with general routine, starting before the sun comes up and typically ending after the sun goes down. Even through all the nonsense and suck, and poor leadership, your friends and buddies make it all the more bearable and will without a doubt leave with memories that will last a lifetime. Everyone's glad to get out, most everyone I know would, despite the complaining and griping, do it again in an instant.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, extremely difficult to be fired, lots of training opportunities.
Cons
Lots of nonsense, huge ratio of poor to good leadership, lots of time away from home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4