U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 36,512 reviews matching the search
Diverse work environment with a focus on leadership and training with the opportunity to travel different places and meet new people.
Preventive Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 26, 2017
I really enjoyed my time in the Army reserves. It allows for you to interact with many different people while also learning about different cultures when you go on Annual Training to different places and countries. It taught me skills that were transferable to my own private and work life. It enhanced my leadership skills and gave me a deeper appreciation for team group mentality. While the hardest part was being away from family and friends on deployments, this also allowed me to meet new people and experience different cultures unlike my own which was on of the best parts of the job.
Pros
Extensive training, traveling, great benefits
Don't regret it at all
Noncommissioned Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSMarch 9, 2017
Days were long, normally 12 hours, or more. Learned many different skills, weapons manipulation, security systems, computer systems, physical security protocols, information security, etc. Management changed from unit to unit, but, overall, was pretty good. Some were better than others. Learned how NOT to lead people. Workplace culture was on a last-name basis, ranks if appropriate (Senior NCOs and Officers were addressed accordingly.) The hardest part of the job was being away from family for months on end, plus the combat deployments to Iraq. Don't regret a single minute of it, even with all the bad things that happened. The most enjoyable aspect was gaining a lifelong family that will be with me no matter where I am, or what I'm doing.
Pros
Steady pay increases
Military Police Officer
Military Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAMarch 8, 2017
During my time in the United States Army as a Military Police officer I learned a variety of different skills. Some of the skills I learned over the years were: time management, human relations, police services, computer skills, learning how to work efficiently with multiple people, weapons qualifications, and OC and taser qualifications. The hardest part of the job I'd say was learning how to manage time with family and time at work because the army expects a lot of time and effort out of you, gradually expecting more as you rank up and excel in your career. The most enjoyable would be helping people in need and the ability and opportunity to learn something new everyday/
Pros
Helping others, dependable job, honorable job.
Cons
Job work/life balance
Great Opportunity
Electronics Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Hunter Army Airfield, GAMarch 10, 2017
The military is a great career field and it is great to serve your country and the wonderful people of America. Less than 1% of Americans serve in the military and doing this sets you apart from the normal population. The military gives highly sout after skills such as time management, motivation, great work ethic, core values, and great wisdom of life and people. It is great to sit in a room of your brothers and sisters of arms and see the many different thoughts and ideas of soldiers from across the united states. Like every job you will hate your job at times but it is fulfilling to know that at any level, branch or position you carry in the service you play a major part from the cooks who feed the soldiers to the soldiers out there fighting
Pros
Get great medical benefits Money For College Opportunity to travel
Cons
Sometimes hard to continue education and long work days
Great place to be and best people in the world
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work was doing our physical training in the morning and having breakfast. At 9 AM we would go to work and do our normal maintenance job on all the vehicles for that day and then at 5 PM we would go home. I learned so much in the Army. They taught me how to better myself and lead myself to better things. I also learned to lead and motivate others to do the same. My bosses and team mates were the best of people. We knew what had to be done and we got it done. The hardest part of my job was making those tough decisions that had to be made. The easiest part was being with my team mates and getting every job done
Pros
Benefits, Job Security, Advancement, Job Culture
Cons
Being away from family for long periods of time
Good and bad
Unit Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Camp Casey, South KoreaFebruary 28, 2017
Everyone has a different experience, but mine was mostly good. However, the promotion system is benign, promoting people that don't know anything about their job or how to actually lead other. All they have to know is how to recite some rules and regulations after putting ribbons on their uniform straight.

A typical day at work was 13 hours and you never saw any progress in your work.
I learned my job as a supply specialist, how to think on my feet and solve problems, and how to deal with stress.
Management is described above.
The hardest part was the amount of chaos.
the most enjoyable part was the comraderie, and the amount of chaos.
Pros
Free housing, food, and travel benefits
Cons
Terrible leadership
Very rewarding career path
Ammunition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Apo, Mich.March 14, 2017
Great benefits, great work environment, and great advancement opportunities. The hardest part about this career path is the deployment to hostile parts of the world. The most enjoyable part about this career path is that you work hard and can see the fruits of your labor. The work place culture is fair and professional. Their is no discrimination on race, religion, gender, age, or ethnic culture. Everyone is treated with equality and respect.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Constant Hostile Deployments
Great Place to Work, but Difficult to Balance
Infantry Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 26, 2016
The benefits and evironment are great, but it will disrupt your civilian career, and will involve working in harsh conditions - which sould not surprise you. Getting promoted is difficult, and there are various administrative organizational problems. They want you to think of it as a career, but it's part time, and career advancement is a challenge. On the other hand, $50 a month for individual healthcare is hard to beat. If you really want to be a soldier, you will probably be better off joining the active duty military.
Pros
Benefits, culture, opportunity to work in foreign countries.
Cons
Part-time, advancement is difficult, disrupts your civilian family life and career.
Rewarding career of Service to Nation
Senior Personnel Management Officer, Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Ft. Sam Houston, San Antonio, TXMarch 1, 2017
A career in the United States Army was extremely rewarding and fulfilling. It provides a feeling of serving something larger than yourself, and a great sense of self-sacrifice, and giving to the nation, and the world. I learned how to be a leader, how to influence, motivate and train people, how do deal with diverse cultures, and manage expectations of a wide variety in an extremely fluid and complex environment. I learned project management skills in a wide variety of disciplines, to include, operations, Human Capital, Logistics, Administrative duties, cultural and religious affairs, etc. The hardest part of the job was leaving it. The most enjoyable part was the relationships that you can build and the ability to influence people, their behavior and to motivate them to be their best. I enjoyed the Army's workplace culture of organization, structure and goal oriented achievement.
Pros
The ability to lead people in a common cause
US Army
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  VariousMarch 16, 2017
Great opportunities for gaining real-world experience if you select the right occupation. Structure, time management and various other skills both career and life wise that you can apply to life daily.

Work/life balance can be extremely difficult for some families. Like any civilian employer, expect to find a few folks that do not follow or lead by the best example. Expect to have many, many days, nights, weekends, and even holidays. (This is especially be the case if/when you are deployed.)
Pros
The Post 9/11 GI Bill is truly an incredible education benefit to have.
Cons
The leadership isn't always leadership, rank don't always translate to Leadership abilities.
It's fun Working as a food service
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAMarch 3, 2017
A normal day consist of:
5:30-7:30 AM- Physical Training
7:30 - 9:00 AM - Personal Hygiene
9:00 - 10:00 AM - Motor Vehicle Services
10:30 AM- 7:00 PM- Work at the Dining Facility

I learned to manage my time, appreciate what I have and team work. Management depends on your unit you work with. You have to be flexible at all times because there would be situations when they will tell you to do other things other than you daily duties. The hardest part about this job is not having family time. I love working with my employees. Training them and seeing them succeed in this career is the best thing ever.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
little to no free time
Turned my life Around
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wainwright, AKFebruary 16, 2017
This was a awesome place to work. There can be many bad things said about how the Military does it job, but in all reality they take care of you. A typical day at work was P.T. at 630 in the morning until 8. Then you have about an hour to take a shower and eat then it was to work until about 6 pm. There were so many different things we could do in one day, and I will not let anyone know what we actually do. Management changed frequently, in the military you go to different duty stations about every 3 years. So there is always a change in scenery. The workplace culture was diverse. Many different cultures and races and religions clashes together to make one dominant, non stop, best fighting force in the world. Hardest part of the job was leaving my family behind all the time. We spent a lot of time apart but the military does take care of their soldiers families. The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradery built between your brothers in arms.
Pros
Steady life and pay check, benefits
Cons
Spend a lot of time away from family
Family Readiness Group Leader
Family Readiness Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 20, 2017
A typical day at work was going in and making sure everyone had what they needed. Making sure especially when they were deployed or in training that the families had all the information they could. I learned how to be a better listener and to work with people that had other opinions than myself. Management is not the same in the Military as it is in the civilian world. The culture was very disorganized but organized at the same time. The hardest part of the job was giving bad news. The most enjoyable was meeting new families and helping in any way I could.
Pros
The Benefits that come with being a military wife
Cons
Politics of the Military
You get out of it what you put into it
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKNovember 2, 2016
Your experience with the army period is going to be what you put into it and your mindset that comes with it. Your line supervisors are going to depend on where you're stationed and you can have either really good NCOs and officers or seriously bad ones. From my experience a lot of the NCOs and line leaders care more about how their own careers and you making them look good than them actually trying to help you, but at the same time there really are good NCOs out there still. As far as pay you're not going to be very happy unless you have depandants or are married because then you get extra pay and allowances and either way you put in a lot of hours. But you do get to travel a lot and see places you didn't think you would be able to and you definitely make the most of your time when you have it off. As far as culture I think the army is losing it a lot, but the army is always changing.
Pros
Travel, learning discipline, meeting new people
Cons
Pay, long hours, and at times management
Army is not all its cracked up to be
EOD Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Knox, KYMarch 13, 2017
Caution to those entering into the Army branch of service. As many units sit over strength lots of soldiers face little to no career advancement. Aside from that, it can be challenging to find yourself engaged doing what you believe you signed up for but instead doing menial tasks day to day. The benefits are lackluster and many wait long periods only to receive poor health care. At the end of the day, you will learn some cool stuff and the Army has its own culture, some love it some not so much. It will be whatever you choose to make it.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Poor Career advancement
The job of program manager was challenging.
Hazardous Waste Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSMarch 17, 2017
I had to manage a budget of $560,000. Eight programs under budget with external oversight by State and Federal compliance. I learned a great deal for time management and meeting work objectives. The hardest part of the job was projecting cost out for eight years. The actual job objective is waste minimization so the intent is to reduce cost. I was expected to show an increase in costs at 15%.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and the Boss that I worked for. We shared the same work culture.
Pros
Pay and time for health issues.
Cons
Advancement opportunities.
Stressful environment, Always work to be done
Diesel and Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAJanuary 6, 2017
Our typical work day was very long, and there was never a set time to get off work. The job was learn most things as you go. I learned to work hard all the way until the day is over. I also learned you are your own teacher and you will learn based off of the effort you put forth, so always put forth maximum effort because the more you know about your job the more valuable you are to the team. The management changes often and teaches you to adapt to new ways of doing things constantly. You ultimately spend so much time with your co-workers you establish a family tight relationship. The hardest part of the job was being away from home for weeks sometimes months at a time, and living in improvised quarters. The most enjoyable part of the job is no matter what situation your in or going through most of the time your co-workers are right there working hard and enduring the same obstacles.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
non-job related tasks, and non-job related promotions
U.S. Army
Chief of Operations & Strategic Plans (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 15, 2017
The U.S. Army has been and still is a stellar organization that affords opportunity for growth and develops America's sons and daughters into agile and adaptive leaders. Each and every work day encompasses a different challenge presented to the leaders and junior enlisted Soldiers alike. The climate and culture in the Army varies from organizational type (i.e. combat arms, medical, service support) however there is one positive constant which is the camaraderie that is developed daily between Soldiers. The most enjoyable part of my career has been developing and instilling junior leaders with knowledge and resources to be successful as I tell them that I expect them to replace me one day. The hardest part of my career has come as of late with the start of my family (wife and 2 young kids) and how I am consistently away from my family and I have missed a few of my sons' "firsts" and I strive to not miss anymore.
Pros
Healthcare benefits and extended off-days for all Federal Holidays
Cons
Retainment of ineffective leaders
life in the united states army
Infantryman (11B) (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GADecember 2, 2016
If you're looking for honest patriotic work, then the Military is the way to go. A typical day would consist of an hour and a half if physical fitness followed by a full day of various activities performed in order to maintain mission readiness.

I learned how to project myself in a manner which enabled subordinates to look towards me for mentorship and professional growth.

Management is diverse

being in the military opens you to people who come from all walks of life. you are going to have Very Close relationships with them so try to be polite and show you're genuinely concerned with their professional growth

the hardest part of the job is waking up in the middle of nowhere and finding the motivation to tackle the day professionally and tactfully

the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you and your buddies got the job done.
Pros
30 day paid vacation, benefits, free fitness facilities
Cons
long hours, family separation.
Leadership Institue of Higher Learning
Force Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCNovember 30, 2016
I enjoyed the Army. I have many fond memories, but what I enjoyed the most is working with teams, working through challenges, and accomplishing goals. There is nothing like a struggle-victory story and if you have the opportunity to serve or have served, then you will understand that no career is short of them. The opportunities I was privileged to obtain molded me into the leader I am today. They also forced me to ensure I continue to develop as a leader, a person, mentor, coach and listener. I can honestly say the Army prepared me to have a successful career within and outside of it. I look forward to added the numerous skills I have acquired to an organization with integrity and culture that cultivates growth and innovation.
Pros
Learned Leadership Skills, Benefits, Opportunites, Cultural experience, Travel, Comraderie
Cons
The Mission is Always First, Sacrifice Time, The Big Picture May Not Always Be Clear

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4