U.S. Army
21,372 reviews

U.S. Army United States Employee Reviews

Senior Mechanic (Current Employee), Fort Riley, KSApril 22, 2015
The Army has been what i call home for the past 7 1/2 years. it is a great organization, however I am just ready to move on with my life and career.
An Environment that Fosters Leadership
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Columbia, MOApril 22, 2015
The Army has cultivated many qualities in leadership and instilled many values into my everyday life which keep me honest and fearless.

A typical Army day is not very different from civilian life when not deployed. AS a human resources specialist, my job is comparable to an Administrative assistant.
Great Experience
Aviation Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Lewis, WashingtonApril 22, 2015
If I had put more thought into it I would have stayed for the full 20 years. I miss the camaraderie that was part of being in the military and highly recommend it.
enjoy working with people
Detachment Lead Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Carson, COApril 22, 2015
Pros: medical benefits
Cons: changing hours
Work hours changes and a day usually starts early

I have learned to take care of work related issues and employee issues

I was managing 21 personnel

My co-workers came from different back ground and race

The hardest part of the job was the changing hours when you least expected it

I enjoyed accomplishing my daily task and the satisfaction of solving issues
Exciting, faced paced work enviorment
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee), Watertown, NYApril 22, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, benifits, traveling
Cons: Away from home alot
Early morning start time. Had the opportunity to watch many beautiful sun rises each day throughout my military career. Mornings started with a company formation which consisted of a daily schedule briefing. After the brief we would conduct physical training for 1-2 hours. Once physical training was complete we would break off into 6-9 man teams and conduct the work that was assigned for the day. I learned many skills throughout my time in the Army such as team work, communication, leadership ,and time management.
I had the opportunity to work with people from all over the world. It was a great opportunity to work with people from all different places, cultures, and walks of life. The hardest part about the job was being away from my family for a year or more at a time. In contrast the most enjoyable part was the time and memories I had with my brothers in the military.
Most exciting job of my life
Apache Attack Helicopter Maintainer (Former Employee), Fort Hood, Tx.April 22, 2015
Pros: No other life experience like it.
Cons: Being separated from family and the endangerment.
There is nothing else on the planet that creates the team environment that military life provides. You truly learn what sacrifice is, and have a whole new appreciation for the people along side you, as well as the amazing things this country has to offer.
The hard part was being away from family. But you adapt, and you overcome. It makes coming home that much better.
I got to work on one of the most technologically advanced aircraft on the planet. Knowing that what I did helped protect the troops on the ground is irreplaceable.
A wholly fulfilling experience
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Kileen, TX - LRMC, DEApril 22, 2015
Pros: Chance to go many places.
Cons: Bad cafeteria food.
There really was no such thing as a typical day of work in the Army. No matter what job I was performing on any given day. Sure, I had a primary occupation such as lab tech or aviation troubleshooting tech but there was always opportunity to learn something else. That environment led most of my coworkers and I to become extremely well-rounded employees. We had the attitude that there was nothing we couldn't accomplish as long as we worked together.

The hardest job was all the time I spent away from my family. Hours and years away in a decade definitely added up. The best of the job was the overwhelming sense of accomplishment I got from being able to contribute to such a huge and dynamic organization. No matter how big or small the role I played, I knew what I was doing was important.
Fun, crazy and honorable job.
Avionics / Electrician (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYApril 22, 2015
Pros: Learned leadeship, honor, respect and self-less service
Cons: family separations
From early exercise to sleepless nights on the field it was difficult but well done. Learned a lot with my co-workers and management. Hardest part was not getting to see my kids all the time. The best part got the opportunity to travel and do things a regular guy wont be able to do.
Military
Organizational Operations Trainer (Current Employee), Fort Hood, TXApril 21, 2015
Pros: Health Care
Cons: Family Time
US Army, do more before 10AM before many people do all day. So good leadership, some bad. Hardest part of the job is being deployed, and missing birthdays, anniversaries, and reunions.
Fulfilling experience with a clear path to advancement
Team Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Hood, TXApril 21, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Job security
Cons: Long hours, time away from family
Excellent benefits, Camaraderie. Teaches leadership and accountability for your actions. Long hours during deployments and training exercises, but many days off, 3 and 4 day weekends.
Good place to learn a lot of skills.
Military (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAApril 21, 2015
Pros: adventure
Cons: pay
Great way to learn a lot about skills and handling challenges. Meet friends (brothers) for life! Good way to learn a lot.
Great work environment
88M (Former Employee), Killeen, TXApril 21, 2015
I enjoyed my time in the Military. It was hard work but rewarding. Yes you had to put up with non sense but in the end it has made it possible for me to succeed at anything and it taught me how to thrive under the most extreme pressures.
US Army Review
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Bragg, NCApril 21, 2015
Pros: Camaraderie
Cons: Not enough family time
My experience in the service was one I will never forget. It's one of the Nations greatest organizations. I have gained a second family for life.
The US Army
Patriot Missile Operator/ Maintainer (Former Employee), Ft. Bliss, TXApril 21, 2015
what don't you learn and who don't you meet. I've met a lot of people in the my military career and learned a lot of things through the US Army
Required hard work and dedication.
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXApril 21, 2015
There are good and bad times. Overall it was a wonderful experience. The pride you gain for yourself and fellow soldiers is immense. You get to travel the world and get paid for it. The hardest part is leaving family behind, but there are people you can talk to when you need. The family of a squad or even a company may not be home, but can feel wonderful in the same.
Great workplace
Fire Control System Repairer (Former Employee), Fort Hood, TXApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work would determine what wouldn't have gotten finished the day prior. I worked for the entire 3rd brigade so at a times work was stressful but with my co workers they made everyday worth while.
Constant Development Opportunities
M1 Armor Crewman (Former Employee), Fort Carson, COApril 21, 2015
Pros: Great benefits.
Cons: Everything can change with very little notice.
Every day was focused on learning a new skill, teaching your skill to those with less experience, furthering development of acquired skills, or incorporating different aspects of the job together. As the senior enlisted of my group I would get assignments from supervisors and make sure that the enlisted under me had the resources, knowledge, and motivation to complete the task assigned to them. The hardest part of the job was the sudden changes in what we had to do, but this taught me to adapt quickly to a changing work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the accomplishment of doing what very few people can do and doing it as far above standard as I could.
Challenging and Exciting Workplace
Infantry Squad Member (Former Employee), Fort Carson, COApril 21, 2015
I learned a lot of valuable lessons in this job. The most important thing I learned was how to be an effective communicator and team member. The hardest part of the job was the hours I worked and time I spent away from my family. I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the brotherhood and bond there was between us, even though we were faced with challenges every day.
Great people, poor organizational leadership.
Weapons Squad Leader (Former Employee), Fort Carson, COApril 21, 2015
Pros: Great people, benefits, and travel.
Cons: Time away from family, promotion system, low moral and leadership.
My time in the Army was decent. Some have it good and others not so much. I had the opportunity to meet some wonderful people and not so great ones at the same time. The workplace diversity is like no other place on earth. But, for the most part, when I did my job I loved my time in the service.

Unfortunately for the Army, most of the leadership in various echelons are not about how the mission is accomplished but how others think of them. You can be efficient, professional and knowledgeable in your field, but if you do not kiss up to certain individuals you will not advance quickly. If at all. Most soldiers come to a stall after awhile because lack of motivation and inspiration by their previous leaders.
Transport cargo
Motor Transport Operator (Former Employee), Fort Leonard Wood, MOApril 21, 2015
Pros: benifits
Cons: long tours
Perform and pre inspection trip, load the truck and secure the cargo, Have a meeting where the convoy is going, what time the convoy will be leaving and arrive.

About U.S. Army

The Army is a key component of the U.S. Armed Forces, providing expeditionary land forces wherever and whenever they are required. – Read more

U.S. Army Salaries