U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 35,100 reviews matching the search
Productive and busy workplace
Direct Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIJanuary 14, 2017
Great career. I trained many different soldiers and met many different people. I had great supervisors and leaders. The hardest part of my job was the rigorous field training involving weather of all conditions and training requirements that required me to be highly motivated and involved in what was going on. The most enjoyable part of my job was the men and women I worked with. That will be the hardest part to replace.
Pros
traveled around the world. great benefits. great people
Cons
long hours. Away from famiy
poor choices for personal growth
Army National Guard (Former Employee) –  Yelm, WANovember 27, 2016
The military benefits are good while you are in it. but the management, personal time and training are horrible. In my own opinion the results that i got for 3 months i could of easily gotten in half the time with far less self destructive influence.
There is a massive amount of pressure to follow the command, using fear to control and influence the collective. The training and command however are poor. They force people to over exert their muscles and train people to abuse themselves physically and mentally. They lack personalization and self growth and do everything as a group. Failing to be the strongest in the group or strong enough results in harming your own muscles as it is set to their standards. Some cases may result in people not exercising on their own in fear of being forced to exercise more with them later on.
Pros
free lunches. history, connections, items.
Cons
abusive behavior, overexerting exercises, poor self growth, low pay for demand.
US Army
Food Inspection Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day in the US Army begins with physical training as a group with promotes cohesion. Afterwards, our training is a daily process to keep each other at our very best. I've learned that as a leader you must listen. Communication is key. I enjoyed leading soldiers and shaping them into the future's leaders. Hardest part of the job was saying goodbye to men and women I served with. I loved the challenges we took on and how we worked as a team to conquer the,.
Pros
Medical benefits, exercise, cohesion, training
Cons
Long hours might make you miss a family event, deployments
Being a soldier..
Personnel Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXDecember 6, 2016
Not everyone could tolerate military life, there were times I wanted to go home. I enjoyed my time in the Army for the most part. I hated Physical Training (PT), I didn't like guard duty, or Charge of Quarters (CQ). I didn't like going "down range" as they called it at Fort Carson Colorado. All of the other stations called it going to the field. This is when you simulate being in combat, I'll never go camping, I still have nightmares.
The military is a great choice for the benefits, training, and leadership qualities that you will learn. Each duty station was quite different, I had a desk job, records clerk. Pencil pusher, or "chair borne rangers" that what we called ourselves at Fort Bragg, NC. Its home to the 18th Airborne Corps and 82nd Airborne.
If you are one of those people that don't like following orders or don't like others telling you what to do, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Benefits, education, advancement opportunities, job security, 30 days paid vacation a year.
Cons
Field duty, physical training, work hours, guard duty
Productive Service for my country
Military Police Officer & National Guard Defense (Former Employee) –  Fort Story, VAJanuary 24, 2017
we rise at 4am everyday to perform all tasks and drills to maintain physically fit until 8 than return to our perspective appointed areas of duty . Management was tough and still is but stay committed has it benefits. The hardest part was to uphold the standard of fitness necessary to perform soldier duties of defense , as committed i am after a while it just took some getting used to. The most enjoyable part was actually meeting new aspects of life , networking , independence , a new life in a whole new world.
Pros
Health, Mental Readiness, Supply on Demand
Cons
no cons
Secure Environment with great potential for growth.
Senior Information Technology Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 3, 2016
My service in the United States Military has been very rewarding. At almost 10 years of service, I wish to continue said service for as long as possible.

Working with the latest in current civilian based technology and strategic military systems has allowed me to gain a wealth of knowledge in multiple fields.

Counterparts and associate are typically good friends that are irreplaceable. Connections made with said personnel usually last a lifetime.
Pros
Job security, promotion, and benefits.
Cons
Long hours, rank based pay.
Demanding, Fast paced place to work
Supply Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCNovember 3, 2016
Typical day would start at 9:00AM. Everyday was a challenge, I got learn something new and complete a mission by the end of the day. I learned leadership at a high level and how to be an excellent Logistician. My co-workers were amazing and end up turning in to friends you will know forever. Hardest part of the job was getting everyone with many different backgrounds to come together and accomplish a mission. The most enjoyable part would be the traveling. You work with many different people in different countries, exploring new cultures.
Pros
days off, travel, experience
Cons
salary, long hours
Rewarding Career, unlimited benefits
Staff Sergeant (E-6) (Current Employee) –  Fort Polk, LADecember 21, 2016
I have had the honor and privilege to serve our country both as a Reservist for 8 years and Active duty for the past 13 years. I have worked with and for an amazing group of dedicated and professional Soldiers who I am fortunate to call my brothers and sisters in arms. I have traveled to a number of countries and have gained a vast amount of experience in the automotive field and have grown as a leader and professional.
Pros
Patriotic Pride, job security, medical and educationalbenefits a long with a generous salary
Cons
its a tough and demanding career but definitely rewarding.
Great Springboard for the motivated and ambitious
E-5 Sergeant, team leader (94M Radar Repairer) (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 12, 2017
Having joined the National Guard to continue my education, it demanded far more time and commitment from me than I had expected. However, like many things that are hard and difficult, the experience was one I would never trade. I earned my rank quickly, and gave my entire and full effort when in uniform, and my full vigorous efforts out of uniform into my other endeavors. I was able to meet so many intelligent and amazing people during my deployment and time in the service. It quickly dashed my preconceived notions of those that lacked a future or were unsure of what they wanted to be after high school.
Pros
Education, Network, Benefits
Cons
Being away from family, Stress, fear of deployment and death
productive an d great learning expieriance
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Fort Carson, CODecember 29, 2016
In the army I got to learn not only my job but also problem solving skills, leadership skills, and how to work under pressure.

A typical day at work are filled will training on our weapons, tactical maneuvers, and general army knowledge. we had to learn to work in teams of eight to accomplish a mission.

but not everyday was like the last we had tasks assigned out to us such as guard duty, where for twenty-four straight hours a group of three. a supervisor and two workers would guard a total of five apartment buildings, company equipment and over three- hundred people to keep them safe, made sure no crime was committed, and document everything that went on that night and always report the things that happened.
Pros
benifits
Cons
weeks away from home at a time during training
Infantryman
Infantryman/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSSeptember 25, 2016
I managed to perfectly balance work and life in the Army, even with deployments. Compensation is good compared to the work actually done, although I have had to sacrifice, missing time with my wife and child away in a third world country for months at a time. Benefits while you're in are great if you use them, and you get to keep some when you get out or retire. Job security has got to be one of the best there is as long as you never get yourself in deep trouble. Advancement in my line of work is cake if you can stand out above 75% of your platoon. Management was horrible at times in my opinion, sole reason for leaving something good. Job culture, best job I ever had.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Being away
My Army
Team Leader & Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CADecember 16, 2016
I cant explain a whole lot but to tell others to join and figure it out for them selves. In my unit I worked endless days with out a shower 20 plus days a month to be exact and one weekend off. Not a job for all families but I can say my marriage survived and it is possible. Worked 12 to 14 hour days every day sometimes days straight. Missed plenty of holidays and never made more or less for my efforts. The pay in the military is set across the board. I would have no problem performing again in these conditions but this time would like to get paid for my time. Just like any job a lot has to do with your leadership teamwork self driven goals and a good back. Attention to detail right time right place complete your job and you will be fine. There are no such thing as sick days just a pat on the back and some medicine. I believe that the military gave me the discipline to excel at any job I'm set on.
Pros
Great Benifits Big Family
Cons
No Room for Error
Challenging and Rewarding
Senior AH-64D/E Armament Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 30, 2017
Typical Day is 12 hours starting with group physical fitness in the morning and then a typical aviation hanger maintenance day. Lots of work and different missions to coordinate. Always plenty to learn and teach. The hardest part of the job is being away from my family so much. There are several rewarding parts of the job. Constantly learning new things and then translating the information to train my peers and subordinates. Travel all over the world and learn new cultures.
Pros
Great benefits and housing allowances
Cons
Long work days, deployments, bad communication
U.S. Army
Infantry Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAJanuary 4, 2017
Strong personalities, competitive, long hard work days everyday is different constantly adapting training for whats next to come. You have to be a leader in the roughest of times or days no matter what is going on back home you cant let problems outside of work get involved your team mates depend on it. Being a leader has stressful situations because you now take on so many others weight and have to perform consistently and still take care of yourself. The Army will make you great, strong and teach you who you truly are
Pros
Leadership development, family benefits, Steady pay
Cons
long days, away from family, salary pay
Serving our great nation
Master Sergeant (Current Employee) –  KentuckyDecember 6, 2016
The US Army allows a person to gain valuable training and experience unlike any that can be matched in the civilian sector. A person must want to serve their country to join the Army. Their is a great rewarding feeling knowing that I am apart of something much bigger that is responsible for our nations security and defense and that I have done my part to earn my freedom.. Freedom is not free, it requires sacrifices of those willing to serve at all cost so that our children and grandchildren can remain free in this great country. On the job side, the Army is challenging and requires sacrifices of moving every few years, sometimes long hours or weeks or months away from home but the pay is reasonably good as you progress through the ranks and the medical support is very good with very cheap life insurance and a great retirement plan if a person stays 20 plus years.
Pros
Service to country, Good pay, Camaraderie, great medical benefits and life insurance, good retirement plan, time off and 30 days vacation per year
Cons
Possibly months away from home; sacrifices at time of war
Good People, Excellent Training
LAN Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAOctober 10, 2016
I was working the Help Desk for my unit. I come in and check my emails and start work on completing any open task or request. Throughout the day I will put in work orders for any issues that other users were having. I learned a lot working with printers and software and keeping accountability of user accounts and open task. The Co-Workers is what kept me motivated to do better. The energy in the workplace was amazing and it made me work harder and do better. They pushed me to new limits that I couldn't reach alone so I will always appreciate my former co workers and will be open to meet new ones as well. I didn't think that the job was hard at all. It was more as maintaining what I had and looking for ways to improve. Not only as a person but in my field as well and I enjoyed working with my co workers the most. I work well independently but working with them was the best part.
Pros
Free Lunches, Gym, Benefits, Opportunities
Cons
Leadership
lower management
Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJanuary 6, 2017
No matter where you work in this world there will always be good and bad bosses. From a military stand point i feel the Army gives too much power to their NCO's and they truly decide what to do with it. Im part of the new generation of soldiers and my First Sergeant was able to put together enough stuff to give me a article 15 for a failed pov inspection even though my nco signed off on the form. I wonder whos back they where trying to cover there? But besides the point I really think the Army should just go back to the days where paper trails didnt follow every soldier and we could just have corrective action as in pumping the blood up a little.
Pros
benefits, barracks, uniformity, america
Cons
paper trails, article 15's, new army
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Aircraft Powertrain Repairer (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSSeptember 28, 2016
Work varies on any given day due to the needs of the Army. While under contract I was afforded numerous opportunities to enhance my knowledge and grow in my career field. Management and co-workers are among the most diverse in any career field due to people coming from all walks of life and all over the world. The hardest part of the job would be being adaptable to any situation the Army requires of an individual. The most enjoyable part of the job would be leading soldiers and performing tasks that as a civilian I would have never thought possible.
Pros
Benefits, family oriented, diverse work force, diverse duty day
Cons
Deployments, time away from family
Career Building
Equipment Parts and Records Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day consisted of maintaining 100% accountability for large wheel-vehicle equipment and weapons. I learned to analyzed data and solve problems using a software known as SAMS-1E. Monthly reports were performed, inventory control, and shipping/receiving. The hardest part of the job was learning the correct codes to use for manhours and inputting them into the system because they were a bit tedious. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying customer needs in a timely manner, dispatching, and maintaining all aspects of accountability.
Pros
certified skilled training, and health benefits
Cons
lengthy work hours that minimized family time, inadequate planning
United States Army
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 30, 2016
The day to day work at the United States Army can be challenging, but rewarding. You are required to work in a real world capacity with very important implications on national security. As an IT Manager I was always asked to perform multiple jobs simultaneously which required me to manager my time well. Overall, the compensation and benefits in the military server my family well. The challenge with being in the military is being apart from your family for long periods of time and the risk of never coming home at all. I would suggest the military for someone who is trying to increase the experience in a particular field and potentially gain some certifications and schooling in exchange for a lot of your time sacrificed.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation, School, Certifications
Cons
Being away from family, Potential to come a casualty of war