U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 35,244 reviews matching the search
Good work Environment, but poor management
Horizontal Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYDecember 27, 2016
Typically busy and constructive work days
Learned a lot about team building and responsibility
Management needs better planning and responsibility
Co-workers were great as long as busy
Hardest part is how much time you are involved with co-workers and never seeing family or friends. Feeling "caged."
The most enjoyable was the success and having good reliable co-workers
Pros
Benefits, Team Effort, Learning New Things, Busy
Cons
Time away from family, Poor management system
the army is enjoyable, however my unit was not
E4 Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJanuary 9, 2017
Overall I greatly appreciated my time spent in military service, i made some of the best friends I've ever had and learned many skills that benefit me to this day. The unit i was attached to during the out processing phases of my medical discharge gave me mixed opinions however, my chain of command was always trying to make sure we were up to date with our paperwork and appointments, but their lack of communication with myself and other soldiers in my platoon made it easy to loose track of soldiers whereabouts, though it was always something they were trying to improve upon.
Pros
benefits, housing, education
Long, stressful days
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXOctober 24, 2016
A typical day in the Army starts at 530am for physical training, then expected to be at work at 9am. A typical day could be working in the motor pool on our assigned vehicles, cleaning out and organizing our Connex's, going to classes or power point presentations. Some days we'd go out to the field and train, that could last anywhere from 8 hrs to 4 days depending on how many soldiers needed to qualify or the type of training was scheduled. Hardest part of the job was really not knowing how long you'd have to work for. The most enjoyable part about being in the Army was getting to shoot all the different types of weapons, learning about bombs and getting to work with C-4, also getting to drive all the different types of military vehicles like a Bradley Fighting Vehicle and a Buffalo Mine Protected Vehicle. I learned how to be a good leader from my Platoon Sergeant, how to give credit when its deserved and also how to take the blame.
Pros
Unbelievable benefits, get to do a lot of exciting training.
Cons
long hours, stressful days and very tough working conditions.
It was a wonderful experience I will never forget
Cannon Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXDecember 2, 2016
i maintained vehicles, learned different life saving skills. Ive learned how to be more independent and how to be a leader. My coworkers were great at helping getting the work done on time and in a professional manner. the hardest part of the job was the weeks and months away from family but it was well worth it in the end. i enjoyed the time ive spent with people from all around the world and learning different cultures and the bond that we still have with each other we will always be family.
Pros
great benefits and experience
Cons
sleepless nights at times
Infantryman
Infantryman (11B) (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GADecember 11, 2016
The army has really taught me how to grow up and take action with your life, and take preventative measures to make sure that there is away out of anything that would have got to hairy. I would provide personal security for higher ups that would come and had to go to each forward operation base, FOB, also worked as a quick reaction force, when a unit would get into a hairy situation they would call upon us to provide backup and cover so that they could extract safely. cleared buildings for high valued targets. The comradely of being brothers in arms that will always have your back in and out of combat.
Pros
Benefits, brothers in arms, the skill to survive no matter what.
Cons
food
Overall experience- OK
Senior Logistics Officer (Current Employee) –  Ft. Bliss, TXSeptember 20, 2016
The U.S. Army provided me a lot of opportunities for job advancement, training, and valuable life skills in management and leadership. The hours could be long and unpredictable, with sometimes a bad work-life balance, but the benefits, experience, and knowledge gained outweighed the negative.

A typical day at work could be planned and organized, and change completely the next day. We always try to plan operations according to schedule, but other personnel or competing requirements can change the time schedule, budget, etc.
Pros
benefits, skills acquired
Cons
work life balance, long hours
Extremely Happy with serving and would gladly do it again.
Squad Leader/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 11, 2017
I met some of the greatest teachers and leaders in the military. Those individuals have taught me a great deal about being a leader through tough situations and how to pursue every team member as an individual. The military is a fantastic place to find some of the best people. I learned skills on weapons to team building and communication. I worked on various vehicles and in multiple fields from wilderness and urban cities to office settings and classrooms for training. I would gladly do my 8 years over again if I had to.
Pros
Security and people, pay, benefits
Cons
Deployments
Productive environment to work in.
Personnel Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXDecember 27, 2016
My typical day at work is helping other Soldiers to get get their require benefits when they separate from the military. I have learned the ins and outs of the VA and how they help Soldiers. The Management and co-workers are excellent in our field of work. The hardest part of the job is letting the Soldiers know what they will or will not get from the VA and the Army. The most enjoyable part is getting to help fellow Soldiers prior to them leaving the military.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
non
A diverse work environment.
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ft. Bragg, NCJanuary 6, 2017
The over all work environment is very good considering everything that has to be done. There is no typical day. Your day depends on the mission that needs to be done. Some days there is not much to do. Other days it is full of training or medical evaluations that have a unit tied up waiting most of the day. Then there are days where it seems like you are expected to do the impossible.
The best part of the Army are the benefits. You may not be paid much, but you don't have to worry about where you eat or sleep.
The worst part is the stress. That also differs from job, environment, and individual.
It's the Army!
Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 11, 2017
The Army is a great opportunity to meet some of the best human beings in this nation and form a brotherhood. This organization will teach you the importance of a hard days' work and responsibility. Supervision is a mixed bag though, some leaders are professional and nurturing to junior employees, some can be down right toxic. If you intend to join, be ready to serve your country with honor and never quit.
Pros
Great benefits, great vacation, see exotic lands, and gain experience of highly technical equipment.
Cons
Poor leadership, politicians (DC) muck things up, and transitioning is difficult to civilian employment.
Helps you to grow into a young man/woman fast
Human Resources Assistant (HR Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GADecember 27, 2016
Waking up early is difficult but the longer you stay in the easier it'll be. I learned you have to have to be fast in some was but learn to slow things down in other ways. The hardest thing is being away from family but you get to meet other people from all over the world that become a second family to you and sometimes become closer to you than family of your own.
Pros
Great benefits, paid vacation time (30 days a year)
Cons
Long hours, leaving family
fast paced team oriented work environment.
Blackhawk Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAOctober 25, 2016
A typical day at work varies greatly from day to day, usually an aircraft will be set up the day prior for any major maintenance needed. the log books of the aircraft are combed through for any known faults and the maintenance procedures are looked up before work begins. after the assessments of the faults a maintenance team is made up and work is delegated. I have learned many things in my Army career including aircraft toubleshooting, maintenance and in becoming a Crewchief and Aircrew member.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, job security, advancement
Cons
low pay, short notices
It Is and Honer be in the Military Representing the United Stats
First Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Ft. Riley North, KSOctober 29, 2016
Waking up early everyday to exercise then getting ready for work and training until the mission is complete for that day. I learned to adapt to and adjust to any situation and various types of people. I also learned how to be a leader along with what it means to be part of a team and how to respect my peers. The hardest part was dealing with stress and time management during time spent away from the mission. The best part about the job was the relationships I made with the people I worked with and the awesome benefits.
Pros
Great comunity
Cons
Deploying
Very demanding but enjoyed serving
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 17, 2016
What I loved about this job was there was never a repeat day. Each day would very from barracks maintenance, weapon maintenance, field preparation, field training, parachuting, range days, etc. The main issue is there is heavy leadership roles and it is very common for two or three of the ten people above you to be poor leaders. You also have to deal with 300 other people in your company on a daily basis. However even though sometimes that can be overwhelming, the camaraderie made it well worth it.
Pros
Living situation provided, good benefits, good camaraderie, very diverse work day
Cons
little to no breaks, 24 hour+ shifts, little personal time, spend up to two months in the field at a time
outstanding Job experiences
Senior Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIJanuary 9, 2017
Every day was a new experience. Having the ability to lead troops into battle and keeping an lengthy timeline kept my mind busy. I enjoy the up tempo and crunched timelines. I react well under pressure and ensure the end product is effective and efficient. Gaining he ability to forecast future issues and requirements made it easy have supplies allotted to customers ahead of right time. There was always a day where I had to meet new people and go to a different place. It sharpened my skills as a leader and overall individual.
Pros
people, travel, job experiences
Cons
pay, dental benefits
One of the greatest experiences of my life. The Army gave me a broad perspective of the world.
Senior Nodal Network Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCDecember 28, 2016
The U.S. Army has been a very rewarding experience. I was able to broaden my view of the world and I was afforded the opportunity to apply myself in various duties and leadership positions. I would recommend the U.S. Army to anyone who qualified. It is a great way to serve your your country and express your patriotism.
Pros
Benifits and career progression.
Cons
Extended periods away from you family, up to a year.
Meaningful work with outstanding benefits, but with a declining leadership environment.
Geospatial Intelligence Imagery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAFebruary 9, 2017
My service in the military has been for the most part an excellent experience. The benefits are amazing and they will take care of your family. But between deployments and the lack of leadership accountability, it was time for me to leave.

If you are looking for meaningful work that has great benefits and are willing to be away from home during deployments the military may be right for you.
Pros
Work, Benefits
Cons
Leadership, Culture
A fun experience not meant for everyone
Multichannel Transmission Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZAugust 21, 2016
PROS - Overall a good experience were you learn to interact with people from different cultures and believes. Not your everyday job with lots of challenges and opportunities to expand your education. Many benefits which are rare on other work places. Leadership highly encourages furthering your education and most of them help on the process. The camaraderie is unique to the organization.

CONS - Highly toxic organization. Very unorganized. Too much time wasted on things of little to no value. Poor standardization of daily tasks. Poor time management due to the lack of SOP's or the use of the ones implemented. Highly toxic to soldiers with limitations.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
unorganized, almost no proffesionalism, toxicity among leaders
It is so good to upload
Equal Employment Opportunity Manager (Former Employee) –  Dugway, UTNovember 9, 2016
Unscheduled visits from higher headquarters.
Always be available to provide information concerning the work force data and progress of programs.
Briefing management on complaints in their organization and providing status.
Giving advice and accepting advice.
There are no hard parts of this job because I enjoy assisting employees and management with their problems. But the hardest part could be not coming to a resolution that is benefits both parties.
When resolution is reached and both parties are happy.
Pros
Staff meetings
Cons
End of day
Another Great Army Day
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJanuary 16, 2017
I wake up around 0500 hours and report to my designated unit for physical training. After training is complete I return to my living quarters to conduct personal hygiene and eat breakfast at the Dining Facility. I report for work at 0900. There is a break for lunch around 1100 to 1200. After lunch I report back to work until we have a final formation to be released for the day.

Management is like a totem-pole, there is always somebody who is over someone else. Normally this is not a problem, but conflicts arise when I receive orders from one Leader that trumps the orders of another.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the vastly different personalities of your fellow soldiers. This is especially true when their rank is higher than your own. Most cases it was either their way or the highway with no room for change. It got the job done but it could have been done more efficiently if feedback was addressed.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was traveling. Before I enlisted, I had never left my home state. The Army gave me the chance to see more of the world and expand my horizons.
Pros
Values, Order, Structure, Travel, Goal Oriented, Health Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, High Expectations, Irritability

4.4