U.S. Army Employee Reviews

Found 35,332 reviews matching the search
work environment is enjoyable
Power Generator Shop NCOIC and Motor SGT (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 23, 2017
First order of the day is a morning briefing.
Overview of scheduled maintenance and services.
Non-scheduled services and repairs
Priorities and emergencies
Ordering of Parts and supply
Management is proficient as well as professional
Workplace culture is team work.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the deadlines and rotating workforce to their respective training.
the most enjoying part of the jog is that at the end of the day we have come to the conclusion that we have completed our mission and achieved our goals.
Rewarding Career, unlimited benefits
Staff Sergeant (E-6) (Current Employee) –  Fort Polk, LADecember 21, 2016
I have had the honor and privilege to serve our country both as a Reservist for 8 years and Active duty for the past 13 years. I have worked with and for an amazing group of dedicated and professional Soldiers who I am fortunate to call my brothers and sisters in arms. I have traveled to a number of countries and have gained a vast amount of experience in the automotive field and have grown as a leader and professional.
Pros
Patriotic Pride, job security, medical and educationalbenefits a long with a generous salary
Cons
its a tough and demanding career but definitely rewarding.
Good for those who dont know what they want to do.
Electrical repairer (Current Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYJanuary 21, 2017
It was a great stepping stone, especially for those who have no idea what they want to do for a career. A typical day at work is a session of physical training and then a 8 hour day of working on my helicopter. I learned how to solder, trouble shoot aircraft problems, read wiring diagrams, wire repair, and fill out maintenance logs. Management was good and kept us on top of our work. The hardest part of the job was the initial training in AIT, but the most enjoyable was now knowing how to accurately do maintenance and repair work on the OH-58D.
Great career
Division Operations Manager (Upper Level Manager) (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXFebruary 2, 2017
The U.S. Army does have a great work life balance. Although it depends on the leaders, this truly is a great career, that is very rewarding with many educational, medical, and pay benefits. Plenty of opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Excellent education, medical, dental, and pay benefits
Overall view of the Army
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Germany, Ft. Sill, Ft. BlissFebruary 13, 2017
I mastered being a logistics supervisor and managerial expert. Possess a comprehensive background Acquisition, Supply Management, and Operations Management derived from conducting domestic and global operations across
Pros
Health Benefits, Job Security
Cons
Micro Management, Too much Anarchy
typical day
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Fort Richardson, AKOctober 15, 2016
Typical day at work consist of long hours, hard labor, lifting/standing,
Training soldiers.
Learned time management, Learned about various communication equipment. Learned how to encrypt certain comsec devices. Learned how to drive and operate various military vehicles including HMMV, FMTV, LMTV, 40 Passenger bus with ABS.
Management was structured and operated under a chain of command with an open door policy system.
Developed great bonds with co-workers, excellent communication and team work. Exercised various team building exercises.
The hardest part of my job was being away from family long periods of time. Sometimes I would be gone for months at a time do to training or deployment.
The most enjoyable part of my job was coming home to support from friends and family. It makes everything I fight for worth fighting for.
The military was one of the greatest gifts I could have been given.
Automated Logistical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GANovember 15, 2016
My days were not always predictable and I liked that. I was taught life lessons, especially transitioning into a young adult. The hardest part of the job was being away from family for extended periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being introduced and becoming friends with people of different cultures and ethnicities. Management was seen from different levels depending on how much rank was attained, but at the end of each day, you had a sense of satisfaction for a job well done.
Pros
On the job training.
Cons
Never staying in one place for an extended amount of time.
Great place to learn many skills and grow as an indivual as well as a team.
Senior Advisor, Personnel Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 29, 2017
Typical work days are Monday through Friday with weekends and holidays off. The start of each day consist of physical traing normally at from 6:30 am to 7:30 am then go to work from 9 to 5. Job security and opportunities for education and promotions. Lots of travel, short and long trips, so you will spend some time away from home.
Pros
Great pay with benefits, and a lot of days off.
Cons
Deployments to other countries in support of missions.
Great Career Superb BENEFITS
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAJanuary 14, 2017
Very great benefits hands down! It doesn't get any better then being in the military. Very diverse with people of all ethic groups and cultures. The work/life balance varies dependent upon your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). Hardest part is deployments and sometimes long hours.
Stressful environment with great co-workers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYJune 23, 2016
The work life balance is very rough, especially for families. I have learned a lot about others and myself. I enjoyed helping find others motivation and bringing it out of them so they can progress in their career.

Management is like anywhere, there are good managers as well as bad ones. Most of the time peers noticed the bad ones rather than anyone else.

The hardest part was dealing with people who used a position to determine themselves as a leader rather than his or her ability to lead. I have learned that people with that attitude will not receive the same respect as someone who does not use the position as a tool.

The best part about being in the military is knowing that someone may not like you, but no matter the circumstance, they will do the best they can to help you in a time of need.
Pros
Benefits, camaraderie, acceptance of new people
Cons
extensive work hours just because, last minute work
Make the Best of your Military Experience
Assistant Operations Non Commissioned Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCOctober 27, 2016
While in the Army you will learn skills that will help you pay attention to detail and be better at time management. Your experience will differ than mine but be sure to look after yourself and career because no one else will. I did enjoy my time in service and have a feeling of accomplishment.
Pros
Very structured enviornment
Cons
Work long hours
Challenging environment with cross training opportunities
Quality Assurance - Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSFebruary 23, 2017
Become competent in skills other than your own, such as Power Generation, HVAC, and automotive mechanics. Management can be challenging at times but is rewarding. Opportunities are there if you seek them, most enjoyable part of the job was training those junior to myself to reach their potential. Hardest part of the job was balancing work/family, while trying to further pursue my career goals.
Pros
Job Security, Consistent Pay
Cons
Lack of Overtime, Job placement opportunities
The best part of the job
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Carson, COSeptember 5, 2016
The best part of the job is being apart of something so much bigger than you. You are serving your country while at the same time gaining life long relationships, and growing as an individual.
The Army puts you in position to serve in capacities which are challenging and fulfilling. In this career you have the comfort of job security for a minimum of 8 years as long as you have integrity, do the right thing, work hard, and get promoted. You are also provided, if not free, affordable health, dental, and eye care for you and your family. While this career path has many advantages there really is no work life balance, you are a Soldier 24/7 365. Although you are provided great benefits for your family it is highly likely you will not spend a lot of time with them; and the absence is not just due to overseas deployments but also stateside activities/ training and even your assigned job. A typical work day for me was 14 hours with about an an hour and 30 minutes down time. Any day where I worked from 0900-1700 was considered a short day.
Pros
Healthcare, Job Security, Serving others
Cons
minmal family time, long hours, high stress
It was a wonderful experience I will never forget
Cannon Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXDecember 2, 2016
i maintained vehicles, learned different life saving skills. Ive learned how to be more independent and how to be a leader. My coworkers were great at helping getting the work done on time and in a professional manner. the hardest part of the job was the weeks and months away from family but it was well worth it in the end. i enjoyed the time ive spent with people from all around the world and learning different cultures and the bond that we still have with each other we will always be family.
Pros
great benefits and experience
Cons
sleepless nights at times
Priceless Experience
Sergeant-Combat Medic/Civil Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 10, 2016
As a Combat Medic I am able to work with some of the most amazing men and women I have ever met. I am always learning ways to improve on processes and getting opportunities to lead by example. The Army has helped me realize my potential and seek ways to help build up those around me. The hardest part of the job is being away from family when I am on orders but it is also very rewarding to know that I am doing something worth while and making a difference in the lives of the people I serve with as well as those who we encounter along the way. My favorite part of the job is learning about new cultures and seeing exciting new places while helping people. It is truly a great experience and I am very humbled by the great things I have been able to be a part of.
Pros
Excellent Health Benefits
Cons
Time away from loved ones
Best job you can have with a high school education
Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GANovember 26, 2016
I loved every moment of being in the military. They have the best benefits and outstanding pay. No other job can compare to it. Good for anyone who wants a growing family. You also get free college when you get done with your first contract.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Job Security, ETC
Cons
Long Hours, Possibly Separation From Family
Hard work
Ammunition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 21, 2016
Mostly warehousing when in the states. When overseas a lot of logistics in providing ammunition across a large area of operations. Multiple supervisory positions as well as a management position in ensuring the accountability and movement of ammunition. Downsides are the large amounts of time away from home and family due to specific types of training. People you work with are extremely varied across many subcultures and aspects of our country. Management varies between individuals some really shouldn't be in the positions they are in and others are blessing in where they are due to how much they actually care about their employees. While many skill sets have been learned while working here, for certain people, there comes a time to move on and see what new opportunities are available.
Pros
A lot of benefits
Cons
Not meant for everyone, not always the best of care or equipment.
Productive and Great Place to Grow
Senior Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 3, 2016
Works day were long but you are able to accomplish an array of task. Advancement and management opportunities are given to those who work hard. Hardest part of the job being away from family. Enjoyable part of the job were travel, security and advancement opportunities.
Pros
Travel, Healthcare, Advancement Opportunity and Training
Cons
Deployments
Productive with opportunities for advancement.
Air and Missile Defense Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKFebruary 26, 2017
Continuous opportunity to grow. Promotions based off availalable allocations. Management changes frequently with most units having great leadership. Healthcare and retirement benefits are great.
didnt like much
Medic (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAJanuary 9, 2017
in the army it was almost impossible to disconnect work life from home life because the hours and responsibilities where so demanding. great security and advancement possibilities though. but no extra pay for overtime which bothered me.
Pros
great security, benefits, housing
Cons
no personal time, bad leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Army. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4