U.S. Army Employee Reviews in United States

Found 31,189 reviews matching the search
excellent time
Facilities Manager/Non-Commissioned Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYMarch 14, 2016
Had good time wish I could go back. Benefits are unmatched. Good mix of people to work with and to work for. Excellent opportunities for advancement.
Pros
good pay
Cons
extremely demading work enviorment with a diversity of cultures and backgrounds
Fire Direction Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 10, 2016
I joined the military at the age of 20 and served a total of eight years. (6 active and 2 inactive) The military was the ideal place for growth and maturity. I learned value of possessing good qualities such as punctuality and accountability.
Pros
diverse work culture and idealistic training and maturity tool
Cons
advancement can be diffficult, dangerous work conditions
Life Changing Experience
92A Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 13, 2016
As a young adult I did not have a specific direction in mind for my life. I was always willing to work and work hard. The Army offered a great starting point for me. Over the past four years I've grown accustomed to fourteen hour work days, long nights in the field, and having to trust in, and work with, my co-workers. The hardest part of it all, is being away from family and friends. I believe its been worth it though, as I've developed a great work ethic and learned to take pride in my work.
Pros
Healthcare and Dental Benefits, Education, VA Loans
Cons
Long work days, Being away from family
Demanding work enviroment
Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Physically demanding
Mentally challenging
Mediocre management
12 month deployments
Teaches self discipline
Great comradery with co workers
Great benefits
Pros
healthcare
Cons
Time away from family
Great learning opportunity
Fire Direction & Control Chief (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCSeptember 13, 2015
I woke up every morning at 4 am to show up before the daily group exercise, so that I could prepare my plan for the day with the information provided from higher management. I delegated tasks and supervised the preparation for field training and conducted filed training. I counseled soldiers on professional growth, gave Equal Opportunity briefs, suicide prevention briefs, and career advancement briefs. I learned a lot about myself and my capabilities, patience, leadership, and logistics. My co-workers were generally easy to work with. Management was reachable but not always well informed. The hardest part of the job was working on 10-14 hour days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the the benefits of health care, dental and vision.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
long hours, little resources to accomplish tasks
Challenging and rewarding career
III Corps Provost Marshal (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXFebruary 2, 2016
My current job I'm working with senior personnel and management three personnel. This job, of course, requires less management and supervisory effort because of the fact of working with senior military personnel. In this position you work more as a team member with a common goal. You learn how to co-exist and it has been very rewarding.

Communications ability and effectiveness was key in working in law enforcement capacity as well effectively supervising 179 military personnel as a Company Commander in Bamberg, Germany. The hardest part of my job was passing down punishment for individuals whom violated policy. I ensured to handle these individuals in a professional and caring manner; ensuring they understood what they did wrong and why I was handling the punishment the way I had decided. I realized that even though the individuals were being punished they respected the manner in which the situation was handled.

As the Executive Officer for the Atlanta Recruiting Battalion, worked as a consummate team player to balance mission requirements and influenced teamwork within the organization consisting of over 300 military and civilian personnel. The most enjoyable part of my career and job position was working with different people from different back grounds and cultures, very rewarding.
challenging and demanding work place with room for advancement.
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJanuary 25, 2016
A typical day at work started at 0600 in the morning with mandatory physical training, after which we'd eat breakfast and report for work at 0900. Upon arriving at the motor-pool the platoon sergeant would brief us on the daily tasks that need accomplishing. From there I would begin servicing, troubleshooting, and repairing vehicles in our fleet. I learned a great deal about mechanics, including troubleshooting procedures and electrical diagnostics. Lower level management usually consisted of one team leader with the rank of E-5 or sergeant. the E-5's were usually younger soldiers and they looked after and took care of the lower enlisted. Many of these people became like family to me. Higher leadership often was difficult to work with and had little interest or care in its subordinates. The hardest part of the job was being away from home and family for lengthy periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bonds built with other coworkers and the sense of comradely.
Pros
benifets, job security
Cons
lots of travel and time away
Different work environment and people
Stock Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXDecember 24, 2015
May have been more of a desk job but I got to work in other sections, such as working with mechanics or launchers. I learned new things all the time whether it be a new leadership role like leading troops or how to fix a 5 ton military vehicle. The hardest part of this job was there could be days you work long hours and get no extra pay. The long hours could keep some away from families and at home priorities. Being in the military you co-workers become more of an extended family because you may be far from your biological loved ones. You meet new people and learn new teaching and working styles.
Pros
meeting new people, learning new jobs, and great health benefits
Cons
Extended work ours with no extra pay
Unique brotherhood environment, challenging, and fulfilling.
Active Duty Combat Engineer (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIDecember 18, 2015
A typical day in the life of an active duty enlisted soldier in garrison is not easy, you will live a very unique life style starting normally around 0530 for physical training. Most of the time you will not know exactly what you will do for the day until information is passed down from your chain of command. You will mostly train on various aspects of your job, depending on what your military occupation is. It can be very physically draining and mentally strenuous. But at the end of the day you will always feel accomplished and proud of yourself for getting through tough training environments and many more.
Pros
Job security, benefits, strong peer to peer bonds
Cons
Lack of independence, unpredictability
Productive Workplace
Multichannel Satellite&Radio Operator/Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXDecember 21, 2015
Conduct Physical Fitness in the mornings before work call. Shower and return to work 0900 depending on what day of the week it is do motor pool maintenance which includes preventative checks and mainenance on our vehicles and trailers, validate systems by installing, and configuring communication systems and antennas and setting up a secure reliable network.
Most enjoyable - get to work with variety of people and most are really electronically and network smart.
Hardest Part of job- working long hours. Not having a set off time everyday; we leave when the mission is done.
Pros
Benefits, Heathcare, Dental
Cons
Have to be able to take critisism well bc always criticized no matter what
Productive and fun day
administrative procedures, preventive medicine (Current Employee) –  McChord AFB, WANovember 24, 2015
Wake up about 5:00am every morning. Do physical training and exercise. Work day start at 9:00 am. Do the normal task for the day. Some days we would have a few extra things to get done so work would run late. Get off anywhere between 5:00 pm and 10:00 pm. Met a lot of different people, all races and personalities, and had fun learning new concepts on a daily basis.
Pros
pay, job security, meet new people every day, benefits, and travel
Cons
long hours, labor hard on body, to many classes
Excellent Career Starter
88M-Motor Transport Operator. Rank Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAApril 3, 2016
The Military has been an excellent gateway to many lifelong career opportunities. I have learned to be resilient, developed good leadership. I enjoyed meeting different from all different walks of life.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good developement
Cons
Stressfull
Productive and present opportunities for career advancement.
Senior Logistic Manager (Current Employee) –  South KoreaMarch 2, 2016
A typical day at work consists of data entry,quality assurance and supply chain management. The job position, includes, bookkeeping, and customer service. During any given moment, I performed tasks as the transportation manager, program inspector, and procurement/buyer of goods and services. There was always a task needed to be accomplished.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of communication
Us army/defense finance accounting service
Senior Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Monmouth, NJJanuary 11, 2016
Ft Monmouth was a great place to work and a very good chance for advancement.Served as team leader to staff of 8 employees and was liaison between staff and upper management. Prepared, and finalized month/year end financial regulatory reports while overseeing a $303 million reparable program. Reconciled system generated subsidiary ledgers to the Standard General Ledger and prepared journal entries. Performed extensive contract analysis and reconciled accounts totaling over $125 Million that recovered $3.2 Million for the Government.
It was challenging and rewarding to do my best for my country.
Multimedia Artist (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCDecember 15, 2015
I helped design, print and package pamphlets, posters and handbills as well as some paintings and other fine arts projects for wide variety of customers. I learned that I could do more than I had thought I could with art and design as well as how to use a variety of programs to put a project together. My supervisors were dependable and helped critique much of my work before the customers saw the final product. My co-workers also helped with Critiques and with team projects that were time constrained. The hardest part were the twelve hour work weeks but it was also very rewarding. I enjoyed making my customers happy and see their joy after I finished a project to their idea.
Pros
Education benefits, healthcare and Life Insurance
Cons
Long hours, and no family holidays when deployed.
Great Experience
Ordnance & Logistics Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXFebruary 16, 2016
I loved the variety of assignments. Each duty station provided new challenges and opportunities to learn and develop personally and professionally.
Like with most management there are great bosses and less than great bosses but I learned to work with a variety of leadership and management styles.
The hardest part was being deployed away from my family. The most enjoyable part was meeting people from all walks of life and cultures.
Best Place to Work
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COApril 4, 2016
With Department of Defense there are lots of opportunities to training, education, promotions, travel.
Upward mobility is possible, good hours, but schedule is not flexible.
Must comply with many regulations and follow protocol.
Pros
Great benefits, job security
Cons
Hard to get position in DoD system without spouse or veteran's preference
Worked as a driver, equipment operator, cargo specialist and supervisor in a motor pool or delivering cargo to various points.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ft Benning, GA (last duty station)October 5, 2015
The military environment is what you make of it. There's a lot of long, unusual hours and you have to learn to interact with hundreds of personalities daily. It's hard work that is made a lot easier when you have a good attitude. There are many Senior Leaders willing to mentor you so you take the right path. The people you meet, the challenges you face together and the places you get to travel to and live make every day worth it. The lifelong brotherhood, the connections you make and the pleasure of serving many grateful people made it very fulfilling.
Pros
control your own promotions, live in and travel to exotic locations, great benefits.
Cons
Deployments, separation from family, physical training every day, long hours, takes toll on body.
Very Productive workplace, fast work pace.
Pneudraulic Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Wainwright, AKApril 1, 2016
Always said the grass was greener on the other side of fence while i was on Active duty. Its not once your out, but once your out You miss the comradery, friends, you have made over the span of time in service.
Pros
Good benefits, Education, and Advancements.
Cons
Deployments, time with family, friends, relatives.
Great people to work with but the Upper Level Management is out of touch
Senior Logistics Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMarch 3, 2016
Mid and Upper Level Management has lost touch with reality and the fact that too many deployments are stretching the workforce too much. way too much favoritism and you are left high and dry when you are not "one of the boys".

No sense of loyalty to those that have been loyal to the establishment
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Expect to not have a family life

4.4