U.S. Cellular

U.S. Cellular Employee Reviews

Inbound call center
Billing data entry /Tier 1 Technical Support (Former Employee), Yukon, OKAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers, Team Lunches
Cons: pay
Answer on average 60 - 70 inbound calls a day.
Low pay- no opportunity for raise due to pay freeze
multiple changes in management
fun place to work and meet new people
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Peoria, ILAugust 21, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: no benefits hardly any break
a typical day for us cellular was nice. i learned about the lastest technology. managment was awful i was not trained properly but they were nice people, the hardest part of the job was always working alone. the most enjoyable was meeting new people everyday
Great place to work while they were in the market
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), ChicagoAugust 18, 2015
Too bad they are no longer the Chicago area. Highly Satisfied Associates equal Highly Satisfied Customers. I made sure everyone had the tools and confidence to do their jobs and let them take it from there.
Great Place to Work
RWC/Manager (Former Employee), Oklahoma CityAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Work Environment, Pay, Management
Cons: Store Hours, Irrate Customers
The culture within US Cellular is like none I have ever worked for, before or sense. The company's Dynamic Organization (D.O.) is one that promotes honesty, integrity, hard work, ethics, motivation by values not fear among other things. Its a fast paced invornment that is constantly changing as technology changes.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who are irrate at something, not neccessarily you but, you are who they will take thier frustrations out on. Maintaing a positive reslove during these times can be difficult.

The most enjoyable part is being on the front lines and seeing how technology advances as well as the relationships you develop with customers. There are many that I still talk to this day.
Competitive
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WI 53224August 11, 2015
Pros: Employers the team
Trained for 1 month completely as a preperation on what is needed to be learned to become and successful and competitive independent leader on the sales floor.
One of the best environment ever worked for.
Friendly, social work environment
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee), Beloit, WIAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Insurance and retirement benefits
Cons: Working on a Commission, and working nights and most weekends
A typical day on the job includes extensive face to face customer interactions regarding a variety of questions and technical issues as well as interactions with co workers and managers to assist the customer. I have learned how to solve issues without always needing to rely on management and/or co workers and creatively solve issues in a way that would benefit customers as well as the company. Some of the challenges that come with the job are dealing with escalated situations with the customers as well as adjusting to living on a commissioned pay that can change from month to month. My favorite part of the job is getting to work with my fellow employees, we share a close bond and I very much enjoy coming to the workplace with them.
US Cellular
Sales/ Customer Service (Current Employee), Madisonville, TNAugust 8, 2015
Genuinely a great company to work for! Great hours and great staff. The upper management always works with my schedule and is always there to talk to if we need something.
Do you enjoy Politics?
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee), Iola, KSAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Free phones and phone plans, % off accessories
Cons: No work life balance, politics, management
Do you enjoy politics? Do you enjoy not having any home life? Do you enjoy spending days off at the office or on phone conferences? If you can answer yes to these, this is the job for you! While US Cellular is not one of the big 4 wireless companies in the US, they do provide one of the best customer experiences in the industry. This does not transition very well to the associates in the company. Management can vary, from one extreme to the other, and unless you lucked out with a good store manager, personal development is non-existent. Out of the three store managers, and three sales managers I had, only 1 took my development very seriously at all. Very high turn over. You have a few seasoned associates, most of which have already started leaving the organization for lack of development or advancement. Back office politics is the main skill you will acquire with the company. If you do not play them, you cannot advance in the organization. Decent company, but I am sure Jack Rooney is doing barrel rolls in his grave at how his beloved culture driven company has changed.
Productive and fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDAugust 5, 2015
Pros: opportunity to increase salary based off of sales
Cons: low activation rate/sales makes for a mediocre paycheck
This a great place to work for people that enjoy sales that don't involve a lot pressure placed on potential customers. The environment is relaxed and dress code is very basic.
Just a Job
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee), Washington, NCJuly 28, 2015
work part time, while in school. work about 6-8 hours a day, busy, hectic environment. learn that not everyone is easy to work with and you have to have patience to work with different people
Difficult to pinpoint where/what is happening to this corporation
IS Analyst (Current Employee), Bensenville, ILJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Excellent environment to start up in IT
Cons: Exclusion of the productive staff is rampant
Discussions with fellow employees concludes that the company has been changing for the worse. Being a newer employee, my judgement does not stem from a long history but have noticed the shift from and to. Overall staff does feel job insecurity as external resources have begun to trump internal. As an attempt to even out the work/life balance, external staff is onboarded and thus leaving internal resources feeling insecure. The selling of the Chicago based markets was only a starting point at weeding out great and knowledgeable staff by not paying a competitive wage to the staff that produce and are capable of so much more. Instead wage increases do make their way to best buddy type of structure.
slow paced
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee), Germantown, WIJuly 23, 2015
the job was very fast pace. a typical day at work was fun and the hours passed quickly being so busy. my co workers where a great set of people. the hardest part of my job was making sure the store ran quickly.
customers service is a Huge Priority
Service Repair Technician (Former Employee), Naperville, ILJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Fun workplace
Cons: regional company
us cell is a great work place, that is diverse , and customer service oriented. As a service tech , i repaired devices, or sent devices back to manufacture for warranty repairs or replacements. Customers were provided loaners while their device were returned. also offered products and service plans, smart phones, data, tablets, mobile internet, accessories.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 21, 2015
Primary Duties: Taking inbound calls from customers and assisting them with all aspects of their account including: explaining bills, researching and resolving disputes, trouble shooting both voice and data services on the phone including unable to make calls, unable to access the wireless web, or unable to send pictures, answering general questions about the phones, Also assisted new members of the team on ways to better assist the customers.
A good firm to work for.
Statistician (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2015
A firm that takes analytics seriously. They are committed to developing their statistics operation. They are committed to using advanced statistical methods in order to forecast, and conduct analyses.
Good company to work for
Customer care representative (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Free cell phone
Typical call center, very diversified, a typical day consists of back to back inbound calls helping customers with questions about their bill etc... good management for the most part.
Multi-Channel Performance Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Pay/bonuses, culture
Cons: too many transitions within the organization
I worked at US Cellular (USC) for over 2 years and I can say that at times the work-life balance got harder the longer I stayed. I would not blame it 100% on the management, I tend to take on more responsibility in order to feel challenged. However, in my short time with the organization there was quite a bit of transitioning and downsizing.

On a good note, USC focuses strongly on Emotional Intelligence and how to best work in a collaborative environment. It was refreshing to have have a mission statement that an organization stands behind.

All and all I would say that it was a good place to work, minimal drawbacks, but you have to be the right person.
no advancing internally unless relocation
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee), Charkottesville VAJuly 15, 2015
focus on meeting sales quotas, company restructures commission and changed frequently, challenging service to sell in a fringe area that still has 3G service.
Call center.
Tech Support (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 13, 2015
It's one of the lowest paying all centers in OKC for a reason. The people that worked there were cool so they made it manageable.
Major changes have made this one of the best to one of the worst.
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee), Auburn, MEJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Free phone/plan
Cons: micro manged, commission cuts every 3 months, unrealistic goals, unabtanable goals
Work this job for a few years.
The company talks a lot about pride, integrity and passion.
Everyone puts on a fake smile like any company but behind the scenes everyone in sales is super stressed about hitting their goals.
This location was so busy that at one point they had 3 full time greeters. Now each rep takes turns greeting customers. This is kind of like having a cook come out of the kitchen each time someone comes into your restaurant. Very messy. Customer get skipped. The customer wait is so bad that its harder to make a sale. You will spend some days doing all technical support. It used to be easy to make 5 or 6k in a commission check. This year the top reps wont even make 50k. The quota one month for accessories was just about the store record witch was set by me. I know the goals should be high but either the company is really trying to cut cost by saving money or the people setting the goals have no idea and just out some crazy number. The managers will say " you are going to hit quota and sell 10 home phones this month" when most reps don't even sell home phones anymore.
It pays fair if you are willing to drink the Koolaid but reps that have been there for a long time are sick of all the pay cuts. The whole industry is cutting cost because most customers now do monthly installments on the phones instead of contracts. Customers can say you did a bad job after the customer told you did a great job and you still get written up for it. All the sales rep are scared and worry and complain a lot about pay cuts but the top selling reps get written up for it. – more... They are now having you cold call to drum up business.
It feels like how much can we squeeze every way out of you so that you can make us more money.
Rewards points have gone away and the quota on accessories double? The management are nice people but to move up you have to brown nose and focus on being the best customer service rep. And since the goals are so high you most likely wont make any money. The hours are like any retail store. Have worked to almost 11pm some nights when the store closed at 8pm. You cant expect all your long time reps not to look for new jobs when they are getting paid of third of what they used to make. I know Verizon and AT&T are also cutting cost but they are such big companies that the job security is better. US CELLULAR in the past 10 years has lost customer every year besides last year. They put in a new billing system. It goes down about once a month on average. Customers orders get stuck in the system and you have to smile and say "You are not going able to talk on your phone for a day or two". When they say a cut or a change is going to happy they say it with a smile and say "GREAT NEWS we are no longer paying on this anymore" and this is how we are going to "WIN". Will really miss the people I worked with and most of the managers.
Overall you can make decent money if you are really good at sales. I would rather work a 9-5 and make a little less than to deal with all the issues you will run into working for this company. – less
Industry