U.S. Cellular Employee Reviews

Company is worth the effort to work for.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 25, 2016
Have great benefits for family and individuals, with a not so full day of "work". Stores are only open during late mornings to early evenings except during holidays, which allow for a great work/life balance. US Cellular creates a great team environment with limited back stabbing. Those people that do not fit will be weeded out by the employees more than the managers. The hardest part of the job is not taking any negative comments that comes from just working in customer service, personally.
Pros
hours of operation are not long.
Cons
quotas can be hard to hit.
Good benefits. Good culture. Ridiculous sales goals.
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WIFebruary 13, 2016
This company has great benefits and has a nice work environment, however, they have become more focused on making money that the needs of the customer have been pushed aside and the main goal is to sell anything to anyone regardless of the needs of the customer. In the past couple of years, the leadership quality has diminished substantially and associate morale has decreased drastically.
Pros
Good benefits, nice work environment.
Cons
Sales goals are unobtainable, leadership skills are not up to par.
Company lost sight of what it was founded on
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVNovember 9, 2015
Started as a great place to work with a focus on culture while providing opportunities for advancement based on performance and not politics. Over the last 2 years with the company, it became very politically based rather than performance based with much favoritism being shown. Also, work-life balance was very important but became a buzz word after thought. The amount of work expected to be accomplished by one person in one week would easily be accomplished within a 45 hour work week. By 2015 working 55-60 hours in store and another 5 per week on call was still not enough due to all the unnecessary work that had little/no impact on culture, results, or employee satisfaction.
Pros
Pay, health benefits
Cons
Work life balance, favoritism
Fun and postive work enviornment
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 25, 2015
A typical days includes coming in and logging on to a computer and checking emails. Then providing the best customer service possible to anyone that walks into the store. My co-workers always work as a team and helping each other out. As for management they are very supportive and informing all of the employees whenever there are any changes. I love to be able to help out people in any way possible. The hardest part about this job I would have to say would be learning all the specs on the devices we carry and have carried.
benefits
Cons
Retail hours.
Great Benefits; Poor Work/Life Balance
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCOctober 26, 2015
Typical day included seeing customers to do account reviews, upgrades, add lines, activations, etc for wireless services. I learned a lot in the field of technology while working at US Cellular. I learned a lot about Microsoft Office, different devices, and the advancement. It kept me very up to date with society. Wonderful coworkers. Very focused on team work and your commitment to your stores. Unfortunately, the hours get long and tedious, especially around the holidays with extended store hours and management is very adamant about being a sales rep 24 hours a day 7 days a week (understandable because that's sales!). Scheduling is little unorganized, but varies by store. All in all wonderful place to work, especially once you get some sales experience under your belt.
Pros
Great Benefits, Pays Well, Community
Cons
No Work/Life Balance, Some stores Unorganized.
Good Place for strong people
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 13, 2016
I work in the inbound customer service program. I learned to work closely with coworkers and having a family environment. I will say that my co-workers are the best part of the job for all of the support that they provide. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with all of the demands on the days you feel like your being pulled 50 different ways. Yet being able to volunteer within the community makes it worth wild.
Pros
great people, good benefits, good perks
Cons
very fast pace, rememebering so many different products and services
Great benefits. Hurdles for professional sales people.
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNFebruary 9, 2016
It's a great company to work for. The biggest problems are jumping through the hoops of constant check ins, retail forms, and triple and quadruple counting our sales with ever increasing quotas.
Pros
Benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Unrealistically high quotas
Great atmoshpere and compensation
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, NCMarch 2, 2016
Great co-workers
Management has your back
Some parts of quota are difficult to hit at times
Must be willing to work and put forth effort to make sales
Pros
Good benefits, good pay structure
Cons
30 min lunch
Productive and Fun Workplace at US Cellular
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 25, 2016
Working for this company is a joy. The people you work with are passionate about proving the best customer interaction each and every time.
Pros
Great Health Benefits
Cons
working with the public
It is a great place to work when just getting out into the job field.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Kinston, NCMarch 31, 2016
this is a good company to work for Corporate side to me is better because they have better benefits, pay, and commission structure.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Commission
Excellent pay and benefits, dynamic culture
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rockland, MaineSeptember 27, 2015
I love working here, with the exception of the hours. That is something that cannot be helped, however, because we are short staffed and the store is open until 7. There are nights when I don't get home until almost 9. The pay, benefits, and work environment are beyond compare to me. I love each and every person I work with, including management. Everyone has such a warm and welcoming personality, and I am always made to feel like a valuable member of the team. Part of the pay is commission, but I will tell you that it's almost impossible to not make commission. My biggest reason for looking for another job is the hours. I wouldn't change anything else.
Pros
pay and benefits, work environment, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Schedules
Never Boring, they hire great people. Compensate well
Sales Manager/Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVNovember 22, 2015
Very teamwork friendly environment. They care about their employees. Large corporation with a lot of advancement opportunities in a variety of departments. Customer facing sales role can be very demanding, but also very rewarding. Constantly changing being in the tech/telecommunications industry so it is never boring or routine.
Pros
base pay plus commission, great benefits
Cons
aggressive sales, little bottom to top feedback opportunities
Best Work Environment Yet
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Great culture. I truly enjoyed going to work everyday. Great pay and leadership opportunities. Products were for the customer needs. Team meeting were about how to be better for the customer.
Pros
Pay and benefits were excellent.
Cons
No longer in the il market
You won't be bored.
INFRASTRUCTURE ANALYST II-III (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2016
Fast paced with good people to work with. Requires ability to shift priorities often.Diversity is respected. Paid extra for on-call rotation responsibilities.
Pros
Free cell phone service
Cons
Not enough investment options for 401K
Customer Service Coach (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 6, 2016
Only reason for leaving is the desire to move home, Management is good and really want people to be successful, Days are busy but fun.
US Cellular
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 5, 2016
Dealing with upset customers is not always fun, but I liked the job overall. The compensation plan changed while I was there but I didn't think it had a huge effect on what I was previously making. While I worked there, I felt job security was good.
Good Job
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCDecember 3, 2015
Overall Job was good benefits and compensation were great but over the time I was there I began to feel as though I was being asked to perform duties that were outside my job description while consistently being paid less and less. My Work life balance also went down the drain.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation
Cons
Work Life Balance
Family oriented, just not for your family
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edenton, NCOctober 2, 2015
During the interview and onboard process, you're told that you would work certain hours and certain dates. Once you get passed your probationary period, promised times and dates are changed with little to no explanation. Co-workers are a pleasure, management leaves much to be desired. Not paid adequately for the hours worked.
Pros
Benefits after 90-day probabtionary period, hour-long lunch breaks
Cons
Don't make plans on your days off as you could be called in, you're almost always 'on-call' even on your days off, not feeling valued, feel like you're a number to management
Good job, but not a dream job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Altoona IoawaOctober 8, 2015
U.S. Cellular is a good company to work for from the aspects of pay, benefits and the skills you gain. There isn't a lot of room to move up, and the company doesn't seem to care about where you really want to go. Sales manager, and store manager are requirements to get anywhere Corporate wise but they also tend to ignore you have the inside knowledge of the company and then they hire people outside the company for positions you've asked about. Most days I like my job, but a lot of time its difficult to go because its not the most fun job in the world.
Pros
Good benefits, pay, experience and skills
Cons
quotas, pressure from quotas, and no job advacment
Not an ideal company to work for
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee) –  Erwin, NCMarch 1, 2016
First thing is I worked for Us cellular but also worked with the company that was partnered with Us cellular called Atlantic Wireless the I worked for this company for about 1 year and 3 months and had seen more employees quit than any job I had. That was including store managers, sales managers,district managers and even people in the upper positions. It was because of the unprofessional level they were at. The best part of working here was the customers and other employees. With me being there for as long as I was I never received a raise of any kind but they were hiring all the new employees at 10.00/hr with no experience.The training was great when I started but as new employees were starting it was horrible. I was stuck training 3 new employees that started the same time period and making 2.00 dollars more than me even though it was the same job title. The district manager that was in place then would promise employees higher positions and raises and it never happened I was one of them. They were all also full of drama, for instance the store manager and district manager would have conversations with one employee about one thing and then they would go back and talk about the conversation that took place to other co-workers even is was personal. Good example was the only reason why I even knew anything about my co-workers making more than me is because the manger shared with other employees about what I was making and told me what everyone else was making.
There were so many other problems with this company but then I would be typing a book.I just would not recommend
  more... anyone to work for this company  less
Pros
Customers and Co-workers
Cons
Already explained in paragraph below

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Cellular. Our community is ready to answer.