U.S. Cellular

U.S. Cellular Employee Reviews

productive and fun place to work
SALES REP (Former Employee), rocky mount ncJuly 2, 2015
working with customers making sure they get best services possible,
i learned how to be a real true team player,
management was great,
co workers were awesome,
there wasnt a hardest part of working there, it was always challenging and to overcome those challenges made it even better,
working with customers
Great
Service Technician (Former Employee), Hutchinson KansasJune 30, 2015
great challenges on a daily basis first check all communications with engineering and policy changes reguarding technical systems. communicated all changes and alerts to field technicians in the region. collecting coworkers issues they experience daily with customer support issues reguarding the wireless system. The hardest part of the job is serving a large area of coverage involves at minimum 200 emails a day and they al must be delt with asap. The most enjoyment comes when successfully meeting all the daily challenges.
Stressful job that can make a lot of money but not much security.
Retail Wireless Consultant / Interim Sales Manager (Former Employee), VAJune 26, 2015
Pros: Sometimes free food, can get overtime, healthcare
Cons: cold calling, understaffed a lot, management
It used to be a little more stable to work for but unstable and unfriendly computer systems combined with a much higher turnover rate make working here difficult.

Almost all of the management has been fired in the region I worked in and no one wants to do the work because it has unrealistic expectations and stress involved. The ones who remain are good but it is almost like they are on a witch hunt to get rid of people they consider not good enough.

Turnover is very high now and they are slow to hire because they want to get the "right" people. But I think that no one can live up to their – more... expectations over time.

This is a high pressure sales environment where you will need to make cold calls to local businesses when store traffic is not going your way. You are also responsible for customer technical support with phones, answering the phone, greeting people as they come in, upselling on accessories and getting new SMB accounts.

This is not bad and teaches you a lot of multitasking skills, but the computer system makes all of these processes take much longer than they should, clicking through needless screens and having to do multiple transactions to perform a relatively simple task. Sometimes you can be with customers for hours at a time, all while answering the phone for random questions from other customers.

The company had laid off a bunch of the support staff last year in an effort to "streamline" the customer experience. All this means is as an RWC you have to do the work that 3-4 people used to do and are expected to hit sales goals as well. If you can hit these goals you will make great money, if you can't you will be looking for a new job after a few months. – less
Great Benefits, Difficult to advance
Coach, Customer Relations (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 25, 2015
Pros: Culture, Benefits
Cons: Work/Life Balance (see description), Advancement
I worked for US Cellular for eight years. Overall, the experience was a positive one. The benefits are fantastic. The health insurance is good, and associates are given six sick days per year to use. In addition to this, employees are given two weeks of vacation at one year (it's prorated for the first year); three weeks at three years, and four weeks at 10 years. In addition to this, employees are given five personal days that are "use it or lose it" each year. These can be used the same as vacation time - essentially giving employees an additional week of vacation. The one draw back with benefit – more... time (with the exception of sick) is that it can be difficult to take many consecutive days off at a time depending on the role and department. Associates are also given other benefits such as 401K with matching, tuition reimbursement, and discounts on services such as gym memberships. Employees are also given a free cell phone and service with steep discounts for lines added onto the employee's plan.

Compensation is competitive, if not superior, for call center work. From customer service representatives to leadership, there is fair compensation compared to other call centers in the area. Raises are given yearly based on a yearly review although there is a narrow margin of influence since raises are also based on a budget each department is given.

The culture is also strong. It is based on a set of values and behaviors that are at the core of the company. While I was told that some departments did not adhere to them strictly, I worked in the call center as a leader, and we used our culture as a cornerstone of the performance expectations. The customer is also placed as the highest priority meaning that there was a high focus on quality although when I left there was a shift toward focusing on operational effectiveness. Numbers based performance was still not discussed with associates though I would not be surprised to see that shift since most call centers openly discuss metrics with associates.

The two drawbacks of working here are work/life balance and areas for advancement. Associates can influence their ability to get new shifts through their performance. There are semi-regular shift bids (though I've heard they are less frequent than other call centers in the area) that allow associates the opportunity to bid for a new shift. The performance metrics are known upon entering the company. Competition for the best shifts can be stiff. Leadership is not afforded the same opportunity. They area placed with the teams and schedules were upper management sees fit. This can mean that some coaches spent years working subpar shifts such with middle of the week days off and/or night shifts without an opportunity to change. Coaches were not ranked with any transparent metrics.

In addition to this, there are limited areas for one to advance. Considering that the Knoxville call center has about five hundred employees within the customer service organization, advancement depends on turn-over. A willingness to re-locate can mean greater opportunities for advancement. – less
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee), Dubuque, IAJune 24, 2015
Co-workers are great manager is great however there are lots of stipulations on how the job is done making it harder than necessary
Very Stressful and will lead to a destructive path.
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee), Madisonville, TNJune 23, 2015
Pros: Cell Service
Cons: Short breaks, pay structure, electronic complete solution guide
Management is like the SS, always controlling what gets forced down their throats down to the next rwc. There is no work life balance. The pay structure is so confusing you have no clue as to what you are actually making in commission sales. Everything good that used to be US Cellular is now gone.
Nice place to work fun and friendly
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Waukesha, WIJune 18, 2015
Pros: bonuses
Cons: scheduling can be a issue
nice job friendly people handling inbound customer calls. strong DO DYNAMIC ORGANIZATION . hardest part of the job working with upset customers that you cant help . Receiving dynamic deeds from the customers about how you did such a wonderful job,.
great place to work with several stores
Sales Rep/Manager/Keyholder (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 17, 2015
daily tasks included taking payments, trouble shooting and selling. coworkers were all great and fun to work with. management was ok.
Fun place to Work
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee), Dillon, scJune 15, 2015
Pros: isn't hard work
Cons: health care
Open the store at 9:45 set up the phones, Cash in etc. We don't have that many customers but the customes we do have tend to stay with US Cellular. Take a couple of bill payments, sell a few phones, accessories and clock out at 8 oclock.
Great company to work for
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee), Sanford, NCJune 10, 2015
This is an amazing company to work for. They really care about their associates, and take great pride in training and developing them. All associates and leaders are very carefully selected to ensure greatness both on their teams and for the company. Benefits are amazing, and the commissions and incentives are very competitive.
Operations Manager
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Republic, MOJune 8, 2015
I had to do a lot of liaising with other team members, including interacting with managers of different areas of the organization, presenting findings to stakeholders and higher management as well as training and supervising new employees and tracking and measuring staff performance.
Operations Development and Implementation Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
Great company to work for. Enjoyed the work life balance and the people. Very well compensated. Great people and close to the CTA and pace.
Nice work force great environment.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 1, 2015
Pros: good lunch periods.
Cons: some lunch periods varies.
My typical work day was very busy management was great helpful when needed. my co-workers were out standing I learned too just do my best with anything I do the hardest part of the day would be if we were short of staff but over all it was A fun joyful day.
Work
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: short lunches, long hours, commission was changed with no word about it
I used to enjoy working at US Cellular and then the managment got messy and the customers got extremely mean......................
Fun working area
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee), Ranson, WVMay 31, 2015
Pros: great experience
Cons: random breaks, terrible commission
The area is a fun work experience with nice people and great customers but there is almost no room for advancement in the company.
Great place to work at
Retail wireless consultant (Current Employee), Yakima, WAMay 28, 2015
As a retail consultant ive learned a lot about being in the retail business and, how daily operations run and they impact businesses on a daily basis, as well as how teamwork impacts the work environment that i work in a daily bais's
US Cellular
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Buckhannon, WVMay 20, 2015
Pros: bonuses
Cons: healthcare
A typical work day consisted of taking transactions for bills and upgrading customers to a device that he/she wanted. while working at U.S. Cellular I learned to become more of a problem solver. whether if it was a technical issue with a customer or our systems in general at the workplace. Management was very supportive and fair. my coworkers and I were like a family and we were always able to perform at a high efficiency for the store. The most challenging obstacle I encountered were the new promotions or new phones we would receive and I would have to study up on product. What i most enjoyed about the job was that I was able to take pride in where I worked and helping the customers
I feel it's a great place to work
Incident Manager (Former Employee), Bensenville, ILMay 13, 2015
Pros: Annual Bonus
Cons: Long hours
I have nothing but good things to say about US Cellular and the great staff that work their. You earn your pay but the management is fair and push you to improve on your education and job skills.
incentives, structure, enjoyable
TELESALES WIRELESS CONSULTANT (Former Employee), tulsa, oklahomaMay 9, 2015
Pros: fun enjoyable grerat insurance
Cons: mangement, team environment
I enjoyed my time there I just didn't like the sales dept. I started off in customer service which was nice but wanted to make more money and sales was the quickest avenue but it was my slice of pie.
Ok
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 5, 2015
Was a fine company but not can be more difficult to hit numbers and depends on who you know and what they like. leadership potential

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Cellular

United States Cellular takes calls from sea to shining sea. Doing business as U.S. Cellular, the company provides wireless phone – Read more

U.S. Cellular Salaries