U.S. Cellular Employee Reviews in United States

Company lost sight of what it was founded on
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVNovember 9, 2015
Started as a great place to work with a focus on culture while providing opportunities for advancement based on performance and not politics. Over the last 2 years with the company, it became very politically based rather than performance based with much favoritism being shown. Also, work-life balance was very important but became a buzz word after thought. The amount of work expected to be accomplished by one person in one week would easily be accomplished within a 45 hour work week. By 2015 working 55-60 hours in store and another 5 per week on call was still not enough due to all the unnecessary work that had little/no impact on culture, results, or employee satisfaction.
Pros
Pay, health benefits
Cons
Work life balance, favoritism
Great Benefits; Poor Work/Life Balance
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCOctober 26, 2015
Typical day included seeing customers to do account reviews, upgrades, add lines, activations, etc for wireless services. I learned a lot in the field of technology while working at US Cellular. I learned a lot about Microsoft Office, different devices, and the advancement. It kept me very up to date with society. Wonderful coworkers. Very focused on team work and your commitment to your stores. Unfortunately, the hours get long and tedious, especially around the holidays with extended store hours and management is very adamant about being a sales rep 24 hours a day 7 days a week (understandable because that's sales!). Scheduling is little unorganized, but varies by store. All in all wonderful place to work, especially once you get some sales experience under your belt.
Pros
Great Benefits, Pays Well, Community
Cons
No Work/Life Balance, Some stores Unorganized.
Company is worth the effort to work for.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 25, 2016
Have great benefits for family and individuals, with a not so full day of "work". Stores are only open during late mornings to early evenings except during holidays, which allow for a great work/life balance. US Cellular creates a great team environment with limited back stabbing. Those people that do not fit will be weeded out by the employees more than the managers. The hardest part of the job is not taking any negative comments that comes from just working in customer service, personally.
Pros
hours of operation are not long.
Cons
quotas can be hard to hit.
Fun and Challenging Place to Work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 30, 2015
Working for a smaller company within a major industry has advantages in that much more is expected of their technical employees. Lots of room to tackle new and unfamiliar problems if that is what you are looking for.

The dynamic organization has allowed for a strong work/life balance relative to other companies I have worked for (At least for the vast majority of the time). However, because it is no longer a dynamically growing industry, it can be difficult to advance a career beyond an associate level.
Pros
Work/Life balance, broad responsibilities, great people
Cons
Career advancement opportunities
Excellent pay and benefits, dynamic culture
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rockland, MaineSeptember 27, 2015
I love working here, with the exception of the hours. That is something that cannot be helped, however, because we are short staffed and the store is open until 7. There are nights when I don't get home until almost 9. The pay, benefits, and work environment are beyond compare to me. I love each and every person I work with, including management. Everyone has such a warm and welcoming personality, and I am always made to feel like a valuable member of the team. Part of the pay is commission, but I will tell you that it's almost impossible to not make commission. My biggest reason for looking for another job is the hours. I wouldn't change anything else.
Pros
pay and benefits, work environment, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Schedules
Fun and postive work enviornment
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 25, 2015
A typical days includes coming in and logging on to a computer and checking emails. Then providing the best customer service possible to anyone that walks into the store. My co-workers always work as a team and helping each other out. As for management they are very supportive and informing all of the employees whenever there are any changes. I love to be able to help out people in any way possible. The hardest part about this job I would have to say would be learning all the specs on the devices we carry and have carried.
benefits
Cons
Retail hours.
Culture changes, no longer able to compete with larger cellular carriers
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, WADecember 29, 2015
Sales Managers are expected to focus on driving associate performance yet are not given proper incentive to perform at a higher level themselves. The company has failed to grow its customer base, and in turn is in a constant state of reacting to the larger carriers latest fade versus standing out with their own identity. The focus is stated to be on valuing customers, yet the company is bleeding customers due to better plans, devices, and accessories from the bigger carriers. The company peaked at 6 million customers five years ago, and now is about half of that. This impacts the Sales Manager job because you are expected to stay professional, yet are set up for failer when the latest gimmick is rolled out and abandoned when it doesn't increase business results. This results in going through the motions so as not to rock the boat, even when that boat is sinking. Sales associates know this, making it hard to lead when trust is gone in leadership in store, and upper management.
Pros
Pay is competitive yet earning potential is limited.
Cons
Too little, too late in being a competitive name brand in market place
Customer Service Coach (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 6, 2016
Only reason for leaving is the desire to move home, Management is good and really want people to be successful, Days are busy but fun.
Cons
Recent management changes are troubling
Engineer (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 11, 2016
Recent changes in the way management treats their employees are troubling. It use to be a place where your manager would support and look out for you. Now, doubtless because of pressure from above, management are concerned for their own jobs and have begun to perpetuate a culture of blame.
Fun and Fast Paced Atmosphere
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMarch 30, 2016
My typical work day included interacting with new customers and opening new accounts. Management was a pleasure to work with and were always available to assist you with any issues or concerns. Our company held many meetings to teach us new and effective sales and customer service techniques. The co-workers worked as a team and were always up for a friendly competition on the sales floor. The hardest part of my job was meeting sales quotas during slow months but the most enjoyable part was making a customer happy with our products and services.
The Devils Lair. Management and Coaches are wolfs in tattered sheeps clothing! !
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 27, 2015
This is the absolute worst employer you could ever work for!!! Once they have exhausted every mean to not pay you, they will then turn to termination attempts. There is no such thing as an open door policy...by the time you express your concern, the entire building knows your business. ...their business services are about just as bad as their customer service. ...if you are hard up for cash and like the idea of working for a company that acknowledges that job security is the number one concern for its employees. ..you'll be right at home
Pros
Free coffee, hot chocolate, and tea
Cons
Management sucks, will stiff you for pay, generally does not care about employees thus the high turnover rate
Great benefits. Hurdles for professional sales people.
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Powell, TNFebruary 9, 2016
It's a great company to work for. The biggest problems are jumping through the hoops of constant check ins, retail forms, and triple and quadruple counting our sales with ever increasing quotas.
Pros
Benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Unrealistically high quotas
US Cellular
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMarch 16, 2016
Good company to work for, lots of room for advancement. Also, great work/life balance. I started in Customer Service, I was promoted to Customer Retention within one year with a 7.00 pay increase. Give them a try.
Great atmoshpere and compensation
Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, NCMarch 2, 2016
Great co-workers
Management has your back
Some parts of quota are difficult to hit at times
Must be willing to work and put forth effort to make sales
Pros
Good benefits, good pay structure
Cons
30 min lunch
Great Place to Work
RWC/Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityAugust 15, 2015
The culture within US Cellular is like none I have ever worked for, before or sense. The company's Dynamic Organization (D.O.) is one that promotes honesty, integrity, hard work, ethics, motivation by values not fear among other things. Its a fast paced invornment that is constantly changing as technology changes.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who are irrate at something, not neccessarily you but, you are who they will take thier frustrations out on. Maintaing a positive reslove during these times can be difficult.

The most enjoyable part is being on the front lines and seeing how technology advances as well as the relationships you develop with customers. There are many that I still talk to this day.
Pros
Benefits, Work Environment, Pay, Management
Cons
Store Hours, Irrate Customers
Many great food days
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIFebruary 20, 2016
A typical day consist of logging into my computer and phone system waiting for my first call.
I have learned that it takes patients to work in a call center. The management is ok, my co-workers are very helpful and friendly and positive and a great joy to work with.
The hardest part of this job is remembering not to take it personal when a customer calls and is upset about their bill or their phone and takes it out on you.
Most enjoyable is the end of the day.
Pros
co-workers willingness to always offer help
Cons
upset customer taking their anger out on you
Never Boring, they hire great people. Compensate well
Sales Manager/Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVNovember 22, 2015
Very teamwork friendly environment. They care about their employees. Large corporation with a lot of advancement opportunities in a variety of departments. Customer facing sales role can be very demanding, but also very rewarding. Constantly changing being in the tech/telecommunications industry so it is never boring or routine.
Pros
base pay plus commission, great benefits
Cons
aggressive sales, little bottom to top feedback opportunities
Multi-Channel Performance Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2015
I worked at US Cellular (USC) for over 2 years and I can say that at times the work-life balance got harder the longer I stayed. I would not blame it 100% on the management, I tend to take on more responsibility in order to feel challenged. However, in my short time with the organization there was quite a bit of transitioning and downsizing.

On a good note, USC focuses strongly on Emotional Intelligence and how to best work in a collaborative environment. It was refreshing to have have a mission statement that an organization stands behind.

All and all I would say that it was a good place to work, minimal drawbacks, but you have to be the right person.
Pros
Pay/bonuses, culture
Cons
too many transitions within the organization
Best Work Environment Yet
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Great culture. I truly enjoyed going to work everyday. Great pay and leadership opportunities. Products were for the customer needs. Team meeting were about how to be better for the customer.
Pros
Pay and benefits were excellent.
Cons
No longer in the il market
Do you enjoy Politics?
Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee) –  Iola, KSAugust 6, 2015
Do you enjoy politics? Do you enjoy not having any home life? Do you enjoy spending days off at the office or on phone conferences? If you can answer yes to these, this is the job for you! While US Cellular is not one of the big 4 wireless companies in the US, they do provide one of the best customer experiences in the industry. This does not transition very well to the associates in the company. Management can vary, from one extreme to the other, and unless you lucked out with a good store manager, personal development is non-existent. Out of the three store managers, and three sales managers I had, only 1 took my development very seriously at all. Very high turn over. You have a few seasoned associates, most of which have already started leaving the organization for lack of development or advancement. Back office politics is the main skill you will acquire with the company. If you do not play them, you cannot advance in the organization. Decent company, but I am sure Jack Rooney is doing barrel rolls in his grave at how his beloved culture driven company has changed.
Pros
Free phones and phone plans, % off accessories
Cons
No work life balance, politics, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Cellular. Our community is ready to answer.