U.S. Census Bureau
1,622 reviews

U.S. Census Bureau Employer Reviews

Lots of fun .
Assistant Crew Leader (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: lots of benefits
Cons: temporary job
Going out to find locations where people might have lived.
Was paid to travel for work.
Really love this job
Enumerator/Quality Control Lister (Former Employee), Beaufort, SCSeptember 19, 2014
Enjoyed speaking with different people and educating them on the importance of the US Census. It was a joy to work for the US Census Bureau and hope to do it again in the next Census.
My Job
Census Taker/Field Supervisor (Former Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 19, 2014
I have us government clearance. There is new things everyday. I loved this job a lot it was really fun.
Great Customer interactions
Enumerator (Former Employee), New Orleans LASeptember 15, 2014
Opportunity to meet people from different cultures and communities.
Great training and "people-oriented" work.
Enumerator (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: setting my own hours, good pay
Cons: challenging respondents
My job as an enumerator consisted of me planning my own hours and route based on a daily updated caseload. I drove to an area using GPS equipment in order to physically locate a housing unit. It was my job to explain congressional laws and acquire information regarding the occupants as of census day through an interview and record the information using – more... an application on a government issued iphone.

Doing this job I learned the importance of the census and I was able to learn about the territory I was assigned to more intimately. I had to persuade most respondents to divulge personal information, so I also sharpened my communication and manners even with rude respondents.

On this job, I belonged to a crew with a crew leader, but the majority of the work was self-supervised. My schedule was determined by me. I had to determine when would be the best time of day to make house calls for each unit and additionally, what action to take to ensure data was collected.

The hardest part of the job was gaining access to locked or heavily secured building whose staff was uncooperative. The most enjoyable part of the job was convincing a previously reluctant respondent to participate in the survey. – less
Fun time
Enumerator (Former Employee), Akron, OHSeptember 15, 2014
It was a temporary job. I got to meet people in my neighborhood, as I went door to door to collect Census information. My supervisor was a great guy who trusted me a lot. I would've been assistant Crew Leader, if I had a car during that time. That means a lot to me still. It was a detail oriented job that fits well with my personality.
Corporate work environment which was highly regulated
U.S. Census Bureau Bilingual Korean Interviewer (Former Employee), Kennesaw, GASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: people you work with and around
Cons: bureaucracy
I would answer any calls that would be sent to my phone, English and Korean. We were responsible for obtaining any missing information from the Census data provided by citizens.
I learned how to engage with individuals who often did not want to cooperate.
There were many levels of management. The higher the level the management, the more detachment – more... I noticed from them to the lower levels of employees.
I worked with International co-workers as I was a bilingual agent and enjoyed working with them immensely. – less
Temp Job
Field Operations Clerk (Former Employee), Covington, KYSeptember 14, 2014
Fun people to work with, easy job. This was a temporary assignment, so I knew there was not much to look forward to as far as advancement.
Good Money for a great service
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: being granted answers to complete each form designated for each address.
Cons: knocking on doors to get information
Time spent working at the Census was tideous but necessary. Knowing that this was a job implimented so that the government knew how and where to disperse programs and money made going to work everyday encouraging and rewarding. It is never easy to knock on anyones door to ask about their personal lives but once all information was granted as an enumerator – more... accomplishing the task marked success. – less
Good temporary job.
QAC Representative (Former Employee), Columbus, GASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: good interview process
Cons: laid off due to lack of work
I worked for about a month. My position was to assist customers who were filling out Census Be Counted forms. I liked working by myself and setting up office in the local community.
Temporary position with constantly changing atmosphere
Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee), Ocala, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: mileage reimbursement was generous.
Cons: drove many many miles.
This was known to be only a temporary position. I learned to be flexible with my schedule and work along side of management to complete a major task/goal. The goal was to conduct the 2010 Census for Marion County residents as accurately as possible for statistic purposes. The hardest part of my job was that it required hundreds of miles of driving per – more... day. The most enjoyable part is learning how the census was to be conducted in order to have accurate statistics for 2000-2010. – less
Great Money
Recruiting Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: money and time.
Cons: it's over!
It was good money and had good hours. Wish the Census was permanent!
Phone interviewer
Hagerstown, MD (Former Employee), Middlebourne, WVSeptember 9, 2014
Made cold calls for surveys, on a time sensitive schedule. Call private schools. Also returned calls.
Big Sister
NRFU CREW LEADER ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Norwalk, CASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: a lot of personal contact and communication
Cons: time not stable
Communicating with the enumerators and coaching them were the experience I learnt in this job. It was also good to learn from case to case.
The best job ever.
Enumerator/ Census Taker (Former Employee), Phenix City, ALSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: the chance to meet new people and be self motivated.
Cons: none.
A typical day working for the US Census Bureau is fun and exciting. I had the opportunity to meet different people everyday and work in different areas. I had the opportunity to pick and choose my hours and I could balance my school schedule with my work schedule. I had the chance to work on my own without supervision and get a lot of work done.
Home Office Environment
Experienced Field Data Collector (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2014
Worked Independently from a home office setting utilizing my computer and customer service skills. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and helping new people.
A great learning experience
Assistant Manager of Technology (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: freedom and responsibility of managing a department
Cons: the attrition rate was high
I loved this job. I was given the freedom and responsibility of managing a telecommunications department. I was always recognized for my contribution to the team from upper management. I left every day with a feeling of accomplishment. We held weekly meetings to iron out differences and new ways of approaching any problems that developed.
Everyone got – more... along like a family. We had pot-luck luncheons frequently recognizing birthdays, anniversaries and the like. – less
Census
Clerk (Former Employee), Evansville, INSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: didn't last long
Temporary job. No benefits. Fun place to work with a great atmosphere. Used Excel spreadsheets, shipped the surveys out, answered phones, and reviewed surveys.
I loved it
Enumerator/Crew Lead Assistant (Former Employee), Utica, NYSeptember 5, 2014
fun job, challenging job, reasonable pay, I look forward to hopefully doing it again in 2020
Great Short term work
Crew Leader-Quality Control (Former Employee), Mountain View, CASeptember 4, 2014
Pros: great pay, wonderful people, great organization and direction.
Cons: very very short term employment
There is a lot of training and you actually need to learn and be able to do the work competently. The hours are a lot and fast paced and then as fast as it started it is over.If you have the desire to meet totally new people and see a new perspective it it a great very short term job.

1 2 3 4 5