U.S. Census Bureau Employee Reviews

Found 2,512 reviews matching the search
Good environment and culture
Statistician Intern (Former Employee) –  Suitland, MDDecember 5, 2016
Loved the environment, the culture, the cafeteria, and the building itself. The location is not ideal, but the work was interesting and a lot of people made lateral moves without being looked down upon.
Pros
amenities, compensation, benefits
Cons
location, have to apply to GS 13
Professional Job Culture
Regional Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 30, 2016
I was able to set my own schedule. I do not remember one incident in which the plan I submitted was not approved. I was asked on a few occasions to handle specific tasks in areas deemed too difficult or possibly hazardous to personnel already assigned to the area. I was rated as the only 5 for the Southeast Region for my first evaluation, resulting in a cash bonus and subsequent promotion.
My benefits beyond a fair base salary consisted of travel and per diem. I was entrusted with a U.S. Government credit card for lodging payments and was on a nationwide travel order at all times. I never really was called to go out of the region, but called upon to complete unfinished tasks in multiple areas of the Virginia mountains.
Our entire team of Regional Technicians set new standards in creativity and professionalism, previously not witnessed in a Census Operation. Due to our efforts, several of our designed and implemented operational methods were adopted nationwide.
The moral and professionalism of my peers, subordinates and superiors were par excellence throughout the conduct of the 2010 U.S. Census.
Pros
Worked from home; set my own schedule; traveled extensively
Cons
No permanent positions available at the end of the operation
Flexibility scheduled job.
Paid mileage
100% travel required
Need own transportation
Lift almost 30 lbs.
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Need meet production standards at certain percentages, No benefits, No paid holidays or vacations, No insurance
A lifechanging experience, I think everyone should participate in the Census at least once!
Courier/Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2016
I served as a courier and a enumerator so I got to experience the census from two different aspects. You don't realize just how important the census really is how it benefits different communities.
Pros
very flexibile hours
Cons
can't think of any
I enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people and learn new things
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2017
The government had everything already organized. It felt good to be productive again. The job included pay for travel, time, and mileage.
Pros
We were allowed to be independent in the learning and training process.
Cons
No government benefits.
Great Work environment
Automation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 2, 2016
Great government job with opportunity to advance as long as you are flexible to going to other job fields and locations. Management is flexible with employees and are instrumental in providing a great work/life balance.
Pros
Opportunities exist nationwide
Cons
To be elegible for better benefits and compensation, one must be willing to locate to one of only several locations.
excellent job
Census Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Arroyo, PRJanuary 17, 2017
my job requirred fill out the form to the participants of the Census,excellent job but was for a short time because the time work were six month and the experice was vey good
Pros
very good salary
Cons
temporary job
Great Company
Statistical Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INSeptember 12, 2016
I love this job. I'm just ready for advancement. Calling around the United States conducting surveys, I'm a refusal specialist, I have outstanding customer service skills.
Pros
Talking and helping people daily
Cons
low hours, no benefits
Census
Crew Leader Assistant/Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2016
This job was perfect , unfortuately it was seasonal. Managemnt was excellent . You was usually in your own neighborhood.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Dangerous neighborhoods
Fun place and they feed you!
Enumerator (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 5, 2016
This is a good place to work but I am ready to move on. They really treat you like a person and not a number on a time card. They also have a reward system where if a helpdesk agent is mentioned by name in a positive way, that agent gets a bons on the next paycheck.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Underpayment of employees, no benefits, inflexible schedule.
nice place to work
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2016
Excellent compensation lots of career advancement team work is a plus you meet really nice people and a very diverse environment too. A great company to work for.
Flexible hours
Enumerator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 22, 2016
Loved being outside. communication with the community. The benefits for part time and temporary employees isn't great and it is difficult to be brought on full time.
It is a work environment that requires patience.
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2016
As a census worker you have to go to people's houses to collect data. Some people might agree to give you there info while difficult ones might not want to talk to you. The management team and co-workers will give you a hand with the difficult ones. One must have patience when in those situations. At the end of the day one enjoys the company of the co-workers.
Pros
Pays good money.
Cons
No benefits and it is a temporary job.
Layed back employers
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAOctober 10, 2016
I typical day at work was very relaxed. I would plan out my route and work from street to street to get all the houses I could within the time that I had before it was dark.
I learned how to better communicate with different types of cultures.
The management was very easy to work with, but hardly ever there for any questions, I worked alone and met up with the supervisor once during the time that I had worked.
The hardest part of the job was actually knocking on doors of people who were difficult to talk to, due to language barriers, after walking all day in unfamiliar neighborhoods.
The enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I had the paperwork that was to be filled out at hand and all I had to do was read off the questions to the people who did not complete the census, easy work.
Pros
Easy and steady work
Cons
Had to take the bus to unfamiliar places and walk all day.
I enjoyed my job, great work place very productived
Head Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 11, 2016
My typical day at work for example was getting dress in professional attire getting my route prepared for group meeting. Meeting the team at local library and preparing tean for days work. After meeting heading out to start my route for my interviewing residences of my route. 1St house knock on door and introduce myself as a us census enumerator and explaining how and why we needed to interview her or him for the census. Getting all my questions answered thanking the person and head to next house on my list.
I learned a great deal about different people and how to deal with different ones to get my information.
Management was great to work for and I enjoyed my co-workers. The hardest part about the job was trying to find some of the houses on my route. Most enjoyable part was meeting new people.
Pros
Great people to work with, good pay, great hours
Cons
long drives and hard to find a lot of the addresses
Great company to work for but short employment for Census employees
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2016
Provide fully integrated experience in customer care, front desk, sales, warehousing and production. Applied relationship management solutions, and uphold company policies and laws
Pros
Enjoyed meeting different people
Cons
No job security
Good Place to Work
IT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Suitland, MDOctober 14, 2016
A typical day at work includes providing support to Census Bureau employees. The co-workers are team players and management wants everyone to do their best in their job. I've learned how to image and configure PCs and laptops and prepare the devices for deployment. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to learn how to prioritize important tasks and work as a team to accomplish such tasks.
Pros
Flex work schedule
Cons
OK job culture
I enjoyed meeting new people and providing an important service
Enumerator (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCDecember 4, 2016
The day consisted of planning a route off home visits based on the assigned area then meeting the household members and recording their data to complete the census questionnaire. I recorded the miles traveled, hours worked and activity, then meet daily with crew leader to submit completed forms. I learned that many people were confused about the purpose of the census and felt reluctant to comply but usually after I explained the purpose and process they were willing to sit and complete the forms with me. At times locating the household was difficult due to improper mapping. We were assigned areas to completed individually but when meeting as a group we all shared helpful information to improve the process.
census
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCNovember 28, 2016
its great, I have no complaints, I really like the diversity.
Management is excellent. You will love it,I love the diverse events, work life balance.
Good temporary work position
Field Manager for US Census Bureau - Census (Former Employee) –  Macoupin County, ILDecember 8, 2016
The Census job was a very interesting job in that they tell you multiple times before you begin that YOU determine your hours. You are paid hourly, and YOU determine how often you work - if at all. That being said - the work goes fast and if you are not motivated, you will lose out on the potential work load.

Because the census is very temporary, you really need to step up and put in as much time as possible and be very precise.

Best part of the job was going around the area and going to places you don't normally go. Worst part was how much people did not often trust you when you were there.

Lots of good people just looking for work, but also a lot of people who did not really care. Was a large mix of people looking for work - often people late in age or unemployed - but census provided a lot of job opportunities.
Pros
Easy job, usually many openings, decent pay, very flexible hours
Cons
Very tedious, very temporary with no definite re-hire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Census Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3