U.S. Census Bureau Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Madisonville, KYOctober 19, 2017
This job allowed me to work when I wanted. With my kids playing sports, this was highly beneficial to me. The case load was completely manageable to handle within the given month.
n/a
Enumerator (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 19, 2017
Customer service is a must, dealing with the public and being able to explaining the questions clearly so that you can obtain the answers you need to fill lout your paper work.
Knock Knock.. give me personal information.
Enumerator (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAOctober 18, 2017
Walking door to door, requesting personal information about all members of a household for the proper report date, was stress filled. This job required a certain amount of 'je ne sais quoi' to obtain information people generally do not want to revile.
Pros
Lasting quality friendships
Cons
Walking all day
fun and productive work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrison, NYOctober 18, 2017
i enjoyed working for the census .i learned a lot from the people .the environment was good the people were nice and it was a friendly place t work. i would love to work for them again
Temporary Job
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 17, 2017
It was a great experience. I learned to manage a group of enumerators (15-25). I overlooked their territory (Essex County), manage all submitted questionnaires, signed timesheets and OT, hired and fired enumerators for various phases of the job.

Also went with enumerators into various dangerous neighborhoods and dealt with immigrants of various ethnic groups and languages.
Pros
Meeting people of all walks of life.
Cons
Going into dangereous neighborhoods and dealing with beligerant tenants.
Census Experience
Partnership Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 17, 2017
The Atlanta Regional Office has offered me great opportunities that allowed me to learn a lot.

The day varies according to the time of the month.

The culture is warm and inviting.

I haven't experience a hard part of the job because private sector has prepared me very well.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people who have good work ethics as myself.
Loved motivating my crew in the field to enhance Census Data Information accuracy and meeting all deadlines at least 2 to 3 weeks early.
Field Operator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, AROctober 17, 2017
I began working for the 2010 Census during the earliest stage in December of 2008 as a Crew leader over 32 Enumerators in the field during the Housing Unit Vacancy Address Update Leave Operation and I did such a complete thorough accurate and timely data information in my crew's AA Binders and block mapping updates due to my excellent Job Training skills that I was quickly in high demand by all of the Supervisors both over the Field Operation Positions and the Local Census Office Supervisors over all the Office Departments. This allowed me to learn, work and gain experience in all the phases of the 2010 Census. My day as Field Supervisor and/or Crew Leader started about 5:30 am every morning with staff meeting with all Crew Leaders and Enumerators in a central location of all the counties in my District to pick up completed materials and to replenish them with the necessary materials and supplies as to keep them on the job and moving to get the task at hand finished with a 100% accuracy rate in all gathered information and census count for every place a person could live in the fastest time possible. I also gained management experience in the following Local Census Office Departments in between field operations after assisting the other Supervisors, Crew Leaders and Enumerators in order to get the census questionnaire information completed also within at least 2-3 weeks ahead of deadline: Administrative Training, Recruiting, Assembling training and new hire information packets, Employee File Management, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, Earning Statements, Fingerprinting  more... and background investigations, Quality Control, Printing Block Maps off of GPS Handheld computers from entries in the field to manually create hard copy maps for each AA Block Maps to be utilized for the future 2020 Census, Set up training sites for future field census count operations through government, state, city and county officials and businesses, while educating the public on the importance of the Census and Title 13 Confidentiality and other regulations governing the Bureau, Utilized DAPPS Software program to create records of training of each Crew Leader and their potential trainees.  less
Pros
Travelling, Self Pride, ego boosts from the Regional Director and Regional Office Manager for the Local Census Office
Cons
Bad transmitter reception, laptop crashes
Great first job
Field Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 16, 2017
Great for interacting with the people of the community. Not really a long term job. Is a stress free job and does not require a lot of experience. Work days go by kind of slow.
Census
Assist if (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALOctober 16, 2017
Working with Census was great pay and I worked my own hours as I wanted. It could at times be a little dangerous going into strange places, but I was never in danger.

I got to meet a ton of different kinds of people and places I never knew wehre there.
Pros
pay was great
Cons
only temp job
Temporary
Partnership Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
For a temporary job it was very flexible and paid well. The managers were open to ideas and willing to take action. This was a very good place to work for.
Fun but temp only
Enumerator/Crew Leader Assistant (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 16, 2017
United States Census is a very fun and educational job. You will learn how to help fill out the forms and also how it all works and why they do the Census.
Temporary
Assistant Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 16, 2017
Its a little dangerous cause you are going to people houses. Overall enjoy it. Great pay, easy work. Just did not last long. Would do it all over again.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Seasonal job
US Census Bureau
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MAOctober 16, 2017
A fun part time position. The pay was good and I worked the contacts as my schedule allowed. The management was good and those of us who did the job knew that the job was for a short time and was for extra money.
Cons
Limited position
A fun place to work and we had good breaks.
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 16, 2017
My day started by helping out with bookkeeping if necessary and the I went to prepare payroll checks online for the company.
I learned how to work with micro soft word and prepare the payroll for all employees.
Even though we had a lot of management , I feel they were all fair and they helped and asked questions if we needed the to.
The hardest part of this job was people forgetting to keep up with their hours of work and I had to contact them on the hours to make sure their pay was correct.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with others and having my own office space.
Pros
Bonuses and office pools.
Cons
To many people not keeping up with their own hours.
temp job
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Folcroft, PAOctober 16, 2017
Fun, temp job. Met lot's of interesting people. Door to door collecting census data from households that did not respond to mailings. Occasionally going to areas that were not the best of areas. LOTS of walking and in the summer heat!!
Great temporary job
OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIOctober 16, 2017
When it was busy we were really busy and when we were slow we were really slow. The training was more than sufficient to do my job and the support from management was excellent.
manager and supervisor
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 15, 2017
there are no overtime and hours just minimum hours of under 25 hours. Supervisor and manager not the same page, treatment unfair, races, and the end of 2017 employees will reduce more hours. NO BUDGET
Pros
examples working 7 hours are 2 of 15 mins break
Cons
short break
A good federal job
Geographer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2017
The Census Bureau is a reliable, well-paying job. Depending on your section, you will probably have busy periods and slow periods. Work-life balance is very good.
Variety of people & cultures
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2017
Interesting to meet different from all walks of life. Surprising on which families would allow being interviewed. Management was very good at giving feedback & praises.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Lot's of miles on the car
If you like knocking on doors do it.
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 14, 2017
I had to drive around a knock on doors persuading individuals to do an interview. People very uncooperative and very stressful. If you like having scheduling flexibility this is the job for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Census Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3