U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,278 reviews matching the search
Military
Machinery Technician (Current Employee) –  Cape Canaveral, FLAugust 22, 2017
The Coast Guard is one of our nation’s five military services. Our core values—honor, respect, and devotion to duty, are the guiding principles used to defend and preserve the United States of America. We protect the personal safety and security of our people; the marine transportation system and infrastructure; our natural and economic resources; and the territorial integrity of our nation–from both internal and external threats, natural and man-made. We protect these interests in U.S. ports, inland waterways, along the coasts, and on international waters.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Away from family
Excellent work
Apprentice Journeyman Engineer (Former Employee) –  HawaiiAugust 21, 2017
Worked was properly scheduled. Lots of technical training. Management let you work at own pace. Worked in teams. Worked odd schedules at times. Trave was enjoyable.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sacrifice away from family
Great Place
Officer / Attorney (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2017
Phenomenal missions and people. A sense of collegiality. Working for the U.S. Government, and in particular in one of the five armed forces is truly a privilege.
Fun work place and stressful at times
Coast Guard Aviator (Former Employee) –  USA Coastal CitiesAugust 14, 2017
* Played sports at lunch.

* Start at 8 AM work until 8 AM next day twice a week. Other days
Monday thru Friday 8 AM to 5 PM. Flight ops 3 to 4 times a week.

* Flying was most enjoyable

* Searching for survivors at night while at low altitudes most stressful.
Pros
Flying; Friendliness;
Cons
Risk of loss of life
Great people
Petty Officer Third Class Essexville, MI (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 13, 2017
Fast Pace rewarding job. Everyday is different. You never know what the next day might bring. Leadership varies on the unit but everyone looks out for everyone.
benefits
Cons
work hours
finished
Captain of CG Boxing Team (Former Employee) –  New London, CTAugust 11, 2017
The dynamic is interesting. You will work with great people, but it is demanding. It is very rewarding as you are making a brand new product never seen before, but it is not for everyone.
military life
Seaman (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAAugust 9, 2017
Enjoyed the experience during boot camp and then being deployed to the field. had a great ships crew that were eager to help train the new shipmates in making sure they had all their qualifications while underway
12 years of duty
PETTY OFFICER SECOND CLASS (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 8, 2017
It is the United States Military and I am honored to be apart of it. I have worked search and rescue and law enforcement and enjoyed all aspects. The Coast Guard is part of my life.
Honor, Respect & Devotion to Duty
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2017
Dedicated people working hard each & everyday to support the missions. Various locations and assignments allow something for everyone. Whether you stay one enlistment or 20 years you can find something you love to do.
Stable career
Sector Honolulu, Chief Inspection Division (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 8, 2017
Work is always interesting, you never know what to expect from day to day. It is satisfying to help others and serve the public. It can be tough moving after only a few years and traveling from home,
Protect lives and keep the Coast and waterways safe
Chief Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2017
Aboard ship you are underway most of the time. All hands work together to accomplish the mission of the ship. Learned everything about engineering aboard Coast Guard Cutters. Favorite time was "chow time".
Pros
A great learning experience and very rewarding to serve our country
Cons
Pay could be much better
Retired
Payroll Team Auditor/Manager (PeopleSoft) (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLAugust 7, 2017
I retired from Active Duty after serving 20 years in the Military. I made life long friends and created life long memories. If I could stay forever, i would never leave.
Pros
Military
Supportive, family oriented work environment
Chief Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 5, 2017
Out of the military branches, I would recommend the Coast Guard. They are the most supportive branch as far as family time, taking care of their people, and work-life balance.
Coast Guard
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria Bay, NYAugust 4, 2017
The Coast Guard is a great place to work if you're into a high paced environment. It is not just a job it is a life style with some of the best people you will ever meet.
Lots of Micro Management
Sr. Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 4, 2017
The Specialists were required to write business plans that were in excess of 10 to 15 pages for most of the acquisitions. This put a lot of pressure on the specialists.
Pros
Relaxed working envirronment
Cons
Micro Management
Uscg hq
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2017
Coast Guard overall is a great branch to work for. It provides many opportunities for all. I've noticed the Coast Guard has the most respectful members of all branches and it makes working with them enjoyable. I work at Headquarters and the biggest con is the parking.
Cons
Parking
keeps you on your toes and teaches you adaptability
Damage Controlman Second Class (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKAugust 2, 2017
joining the USCG was one of the best decisions I've made. I grew up in a small town and eventually felt as if i was in a small town rut. I felt the need to get away and change things up. my first mission was on the opposite side of the country and i remained away from my hometown for 7 years. Within those years I had so many different experiences that made me realize how much this life has to offer. The coast guard helped me grow personally, professionally, and spiritually. I would recommend this job too anybody. the benefits alone make it completely worth it.
Pros
benefits, job security, excitement
Cons
lack of control in where you'll live, time away from family
Marine Safety Center
Administrative Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2017
Can be busy but not every day. The staff is great to work with. Really had the opportunity with some very influential leadership and work assisting awesome clients.
I should have stayed in.
(Operations Specialist) (Veteran) (Former Employee) –  Lake Michigan, MIJuly 30, 2017
Best job I ever had, they care about you, they care about your family. The benefits and pay are great, I liked moving around the country and not having to go to sea.
great people to work with
2nd class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Sabine Pass,TXJuly 29, 2017
This is a big unit, with a lot of moving parts.
Always something new to learn, and a mission to be completed. The unit has a recreational room as well as a theater room.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5