U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,043 reviews matching the search
Great job.
Boatswain Mate (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CASeptember 27, 2016
Nothing bad to say about the service. Traveled the world and met great people. The office was the ocean. Seen the good and the tragic overall I became a better person.
Benefits
Cons
Moving every four years
Excellent Job Security/ On The Job Training
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2016
Working 24 hours a day 7 days a week with little to no local resources develops a technician's skills and abilities greatly. I really enjoyed my time doing technical work with the Coast Guard. The military culture and constantly moving around is why I choose to leave.
Pros
Skills, Abilities, and Training.
Cons
Worklife, Relocating
Summary
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Valdez, AKSeptember 24, 2016
It's a good job, i loved working for the United States, serving my country and learning everything i could possibly learn. I got to see many places i never thought i would ever get to go to. It was fun while it lasted.
High morale - Work place
Intelligence Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganSeptember 21, 2016
The Coast Guard is an outstanding organization. Typical work day.
Excellent Management. Keep America safe through agency partnerships. Serving. Excellent Organization.
The Coast Guard helped me become the man I am today.
Electronics Technician III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 16, 2016
Depending on what rate you choose to go if you decide to go the enlisted route, you will be challenged with hard work and dedication to complete the mission at the end of the day. Work days can vary depending upon what type of unit your stationed and whether they're deployable or not. You can't be afraid of water and should be comfortable with swimming. After 8 years so far in the service I have traveled to amazing places and accomplished amazing things. Great benefits and direction.
Pros
Pay and Benifits
Cons
Having to relocate every 3 years usually.
Great environment to work in.
Non-rate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 16, 2016
The USCG taught me to use quick thinking and decision making in a very stressful situation. I learned to work cohesively with a team towards a common goal. My co-workers quickly turned into family as we all had to share the waters in dangerous and life-threatening situations on a daily basis. Through all the rough seas and public interactions I learned to be quick on my feet, but not quick to judge people and their circumstances.
Pros
Family-like workplace.
Cons
Life-threatening situations on a daily basis.
A unique experience
Cadet (Former Employee) –  New London, CTSeptember 7, 2016
The coast guard academy had a lot of great people and a lot of not so great people. I truly will cherish the friendships I made there, but in the end, the coast guard life was not the life for me. I did not enjoy the management as they thought they were superior to their subordinates. But, I did enjoy the structure and the organization itself.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Low Pay
Stressful work environment
Supervisory Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 7, 2016
There was little to no organization and the computer system was outdated. The work environment was less then pleasurable and the employees were stressful. You always left work feeling like nothing was accomplished and this was because there was no structure.
Water Rescue
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 7, 2016
The Coast Guard is about saving lives. The hardest part was going out to sea in a hurricane but the most enjoyable part is working with others to rescue people at sea or evacuating people during national catastrophes.
Great place to work.
Contracting Officers Representative (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAAugust 30, 2016
I joined the Navy in 1989, served 4 years and got out. In 1997 I joined the Coast Guard best decision of my life. I would do it again or reenlist right now.
Pros
Cons
none, for me at least.

Want to know more about U.S. Coast Guard?

Ask a question
Coast Guard Life
Child Care Provider/Nanny (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 29, 2016
Working for the US Coast guard was a great expierence in which I met a lot of different people from a lot of different place. As a child care provider I tutored and mentored children of all ages.
Depends on your rating
Headed and Organizer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 29, 2016
Depending on the job you have in the Coast Guard can make or break your experience you'll have. You can go from a rescue swimmer to a DC or toilet scrubber. A lot of politics with people above you and the best person doesn't always get promoted... Great place to learn something outside of your hometown.
Pros
job security
Cons
politics
Boatswain's Mate (Current Employee) –  Yorktown, VAAugust 26, 2016
Great atmosphere, great organization. Having worked for them for over 20 years, I have learned a great deal about life and leadership.
Military life.
Mechanic for both gasoline and diesel engines (Former Employee) –  USCGC Glacier and PSSTA HoustonAugust 19, 2016
There were no typical days. Sometimes I had different watch shifts. Sometimes I'd get off watch at midnight and get woken up at 2 a.m. because there was a problem in the engine room. All hands on deck. Co-workers were from all over the US. I was on an ice breaker so we would be gone from the US for six months at a time. I did that twice. Got to see a lot of the world: Mexico, Panama, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Antarctica, Brazil, Trinidad/Tobago. Shore leave was always fun at the ports-of-call that we stopped at. But growing up in Houston and New Orleans, Antarctica is very cold. No worries about health care because we had it all.
Consistant workday
Supply Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed the team I worked with but my particular job did not have enough work involved so I went to my team members to get additional work. The chance of advancement at that time was difficult but it may have change over the course of the years.
Challenging and Rewarding
Chief Health Services Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 17, 2016
The United States Coast Guard Reserve has been a very challenging and rewarding work experience. My day-to-day job is very challenging and requires that I complete a number of tasks in a few short period of time. This experience has improved my overall efficiency and task management skills.
I work with a great group of individuals and love going to work every day that I am drilling. The officers above me are great to work for and allow me to address problems and issues with minimal interference.
While this job is very taxing, I find that the most enjoyable part is ensuring that all the members of the unit are healthy and able to perform there jobs inorder to protect the United States.
great team to be a part of
Aviation Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 11, 2016
The Coast Guard is a family. Selfless and always ready. Fun moral events. Great opportunities to travel and see the world. Great duty station assignments and locations.
Excellent skills aquired
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCAugust 9, 2016
The lessons I have learned through the service will be with me forever. The life lessons I have acquired have set me up in all aspects of my life and I do not regret joining.
Pros
Great education and training
Great job with awesome people.
Chief Boatswain Mate (Former Employee) –  various units across AmericaAugust 9, 2016
A great place to work. I learned a lot and met some wonderful people on my journey. The Coast Guard knows how to take care of their people. The other good thing is every new job assignment is different from the last, so the job never got stale. Joining the Coast Guard was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I would do it again in a second.
Pros
People, work and life balance, steady paycheck
Outstanding Orginazation
MH-60T Helicopter Prime Unit Maintenance Officer (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 7, 2016
The United States Coast Guard is a premier service. Responsible for maritime search and rescue, aids to navigation, and maritime law enforcement. Every day is a unique challenge and dynamic work environment.
Pros
Professional orginization
Cons
Move often

4.5