U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,043 reviews matching the search
Best Job I ever had..
Machinery Technician Third Class (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKMarch 3, 2016
Lived on a small ship and maintained all the machinery. We did search and rescue. The fellowship among the other sailors was so amazing that some of us are still close today. There was a high morale, good food and the fact that I could save someone's life at any moment made it a great adventure. There was a lot of time off when not on the ship. I learned an enormous of things from first aid and self-defense to lead abatement and firefighting. The hardest part of the job was the late hours through out the night as well as the cold Alaskan waters. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I was able to help protect the country.
Pros
Good benefits, more than you could imagine.
Cons
Its a little hard to get the benefits..
Best Decision Ever
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Joining the US Coast Guard has been the best professional decision I have ever made. I met great people, and made great friends. A typical day at work includes morning Physical Training (PT), a morning brief for the plan of the day, and getting out on the water. Everyday can be different, one day you can be out on patrol in the Puget Sound, another day you can be responding to a Search and Rescue call for an overturned boat. You're unit consists of a small group of shipmates where you will gain a sense of camaraderie. Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, On-base privileges, Educational Benefits. It's a beautiful thing.
Pros
Builds a solid foundation.
Cons
n/a
Coast Guard is a great community
Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 24, 2016
The Coast Guard is a great place to work. You are essentially guarding the coast and make sure that bad things don't happen and if they do you are there for respond. My experience was that of a watch stander (shift work) which is what much of the Coast Guard is. You are there to respond to disasters, SAR and other events. This is the best part of the job, the satisfaction you get from helping with these events.
Pros
job security, training, benefits
Cons
shift work, deployments, long hours
Great experience
public relations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2015
The training and job experience I received from the Coast Guard stands top notch. I loved my professional duties and the wonderful shipmates I worked with. As a public affairs specialist I felt fortunate to see all aspects of the Coast Guard as I frequently worked with many units spanning across three states. The two supervisors I was fortunate to work for turned out to be brilliant mentors and I am very thankful to have worked alongside them.
Pros
benefits, learning experience, coworkers are great
Cons
advancement is slow
The Coast Guard is a great organization.
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 19, 2015
The Coast Guard has been a great job. During my enlistment I learned leadership, teamwork, discipline and structure. With the skills I've acquired in the Coast Guard combined with the veteran benefits, I have been set up for a successful life.
Pros
Great benefits, wide range of training and job experience.
Cons
Sometimes this job requires you to spend a lot of time away from your family.
Great career with many benefits
Electronics Technician First Class (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 20, 2016
I have spent over a decade in the Coast Guard and I've enjoyed every day of it. Great people, honest mission, and the benefits are unbelievable!
Great benefits, but a very impersonal environment.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical work day depended on what type of unit I worked at. At a command center, I would field calls from the public on distressed mariners or law enforcement needs. On a Cutter, we were underway for months at a time and worked around the clock shifts to conduct search and rescue and law enforcement missions. I learned that I am very resilient person and that I can adapted to almost any situation. I also learned how to manage other people in a high stress environment. In the Coast Guard, you meet alot of different type of people and personalities, so for the most part, my co-workers were enjoyable to work with and most of them I keep in contact with as friends. The hardest part of my job, is one ever I had to leave my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable would be the travel I got to do around the country.
Challenging and Rewarding
Chief Health Services Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 17, 2016
The United States Coast Guard Reserve has been a very challenging and rewarding work experience. My day-to-day job is very challenging and requires that I complete a number of tasks in a few short period of time. This experience has improved my overall efficiency and task management skills.
I work with a great group of individuals and love going to work every day that I am drilling. The officers above me are great to work for and allow me to address problems and issues with minimal interference.
While this job is very taxing, I find that the most enjoyable part is ensuring that all the members of the unit are healthy and able to perform there jobs inorder to protect the United States.
It's not the place it used to be
Senior Oracle/Sybase Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kearneysville, WVJanuary 19, 2016
After churning commands it continues to get worse! Numerous benefits continue to be pulled and moral is at a all time low
Overall rating is satisfactory
Lead Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
8-10 hours a day.
I mostly already knew the positions prior to promotion eligability due to having the USAF active duty supply chain experience. Air Force training was so far ahead of the USCG in the supply chain operations.
Mangement needs to work with employees and not be bias toward other service branches.
Co-workers need sensitive training within the office environment.
Nothing was hard about the job. Most of the new hires I worked with had no expereince in the position selected.

I really enjoyed my job!! Knew more than management which hinder my advancement
Pros
They beleive in tele-working of their employees. No accountability on time and attendance.
Cons
Management and GS positions are given to retired CG personnel, No expereince within the position, Retired federal service personnel rehired as contractors
Get plenty of downtime!
qualified inspector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 18, 2015
Very knowledgeable staff and CO, whether its training or on-site inspections. Great benefits and hours and time-off...guaranteed to be home at night. Sometimes there was down-time while waiting for an inspection, so workers took advantage of it by completing online college courses and training. Overall great environment but dangerous, need to be aware of all surroundings.
Pros
Great Environment and benefits, Knowledgeable people
Cons
not always organized, sometimes behind of schedule
I stayed 28 years because I loved working with and helping people both at work and saving lives on the water.
Command Senior Chief (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Great places to work as you move around every 2-4 years and get to see different things, meet different people, and do different jobs. It helps a person become very versatile with their abilities. All in all it's a great environment to learn, teach, and work.
Pros
privelages and benefits
Cons
office politics, change from working as a team to accomplish goals, to a cut throat individual accomplishment based mentality, to get jobs done.
Military life.
Mechanic for both gasoline and diesel engines (Former Employee) –  USCGC Glacier and PSSTA HoustonAugust 19, 2016
There were no typical days. Sometimes I had different watch shifts. Sometimes I'd get off watch at midnight and get woken up at 2 a.m. because there was a problem in the engine room. All hands on deck. Co-workers were from all over the US. I was on an ice breaker so we would be gone from the US for six months at a time. I did that twice. Got to see a lot of the world: Mexico, Panama, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Antarctica, Brazil, Trinidad/Tobago. Shore leave was always fun at the ports-of-call that we stopped at. But growing up in Houston and New Orleans, Antarctica is very cold. No worries about health care because we had it all.
Very Active Environment
Smallboat engineer/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 18, 2015
Working non-stop, whether its getting underway or staying on land and working on maintenance. Very knowledgeable staff and CO, whether its training or on-site evolutions. Great benefits and reasonable hours and time-off. Overall great environment but dangerous, need to be aware of all surroundings.
Pros
Great Environment and benefits, Knowledgeable people
Cons
Dangerous and Hazardous environment, sometimes work late hours
Highly rewarding service as a member of the USCG Reserve
Boatswains Mate - Petty Officer 2rd Class (Current Employee) –  Anywhere USAJune 7, 2016
Part time job has turned into a full time career for the past few years.
I decided to dedicate my life to the service of the country.
My time in the Coast Guard has been some of the best recent years career wise.
Camaraderie is great.
work perks are amazing - driving a boat for work, joint training with other military and federal agencies in other assets such as aircraft or other vehicles.
Saving life and property have been the most memorable moments of the job. Nothing compares.
Pros
Management proactively recognizes efforts and rewards you as such. Education Benefits
Cons
not a con - but hours can be long, but expected with search and rescue mission calls over the radio.
The Coast Guard helped me become the man I am today.
Electronics Technician III (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 16, 2016
Depending on what rate you choose to go if you decide to go the enlisted route, you will be challenged with hard work and dedication to complete the mission at the end of the day. Work days can vary depending upon what type of unit your stationed and whether they're deployable or not. You can't be afraid of water and should be comfortable with swimming. After 8 years so far in the service I have traveled to amazing places and accomplished amazing things. Great benefits and direction.
Pros
Pay and Benifits
Cons
Having to relocate every 3 years usually.
U.S. Military Branch, specializing in search-and-rescue, migrant interdiction, and more.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 23, 2016
Enlisted military member. Official job title was that of Food Service Specialist. Cooked breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts for members of the Armed Forces. Learned mass cooking, different cooking techniques, how to season and taste, baking different items from scratch, time efficiency, multi-tasking, management of those a lower rank. Management was demanding, but also willing to teach new techniques. Co-workers were well versed in different cooking techniques, each had their own unique skills to bring to the table. Hardest part of job was being away from home and 12-14 hour workdays. Most enjoyable part of the job was succeeding in making a delicious meal that people enjoyed.
Pros
Great benefits, pay, insurance
Cons
Demanding and unrealistic supervisors, long work-days
Best Job in the U.S. Military
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Marblehead, OHFebruary 19, 2016
Spent time in New Jersey, Virginia and the Ohio coast of Lake Erie. Fantastic job and should be considered by anyone thinking of serving. Advancement is completely on you and half your income (BAH) isn't taxed! Hard to beat that. Completely free medical (for now) with the ability to earn 50% of your base pay after 20 years of service every year for the rest of your life. That means you could potentially be 38 with a substantial monthly income and just getting started on another career. Military retirement isn't designed to be a sole source of income but could be depending on lifestyle. Wouldn't trade my time in the military for anything.
Pros
Search and Rescue, Medical, Dental, Experiences
Excellent Experience
Personnel Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wellesley Island, NYMay 23, 2016
The Coast Guard was a great experience and I miss it quite frequently. We would frequently engage in search and rescue cases or recreational boardings. The management was a little "hit or miss" sometimes in the military people rank up because of their knowledge of the service and not necessarily their leadership skills. Thankfully, I only ran into a couple of bad apples during my enlistment. My co-workers were like family. Even when we were not at work we would always spend time together. I have never found a better example of camaraderie than my time spend in the military. The hardest part of the job was some of the missions we would have to go on - we would not know the outcome. A lot of the search and rescue cases ended well, but there were a few that were not so lucky, it gets to you sometimes, but you have to stay strong. The most enjoyable part of the job was all of the amazing people that I met and the things I got to experience.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Self fulfilling and rewarding service
Chief Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  world wideJuly 14, 2016
The U.S. Coast Guard is a rewarding career. It is all about working as a team to reach a common goal and complete your missions. The Coast Guard has the best sailors in the world and limits are endless to further your career. The toughest part is being away from your families for months at a time when stationed on the bigger ships. My most enjoyable part of the Coast Guard is piloting/navigating the bigger ships and being out to sea for months at a time.
Pros
Being out to sea and great shipmates
Cons
being away from family

4.5