U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Best Decision Ever
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Joining the US Coast Guard has been the best professional decision I have ever made. I met great people, and made great friends. A typical day at work includes morning Physical Training (PT), a morning brief for the plan of the day, and getting out on the water. Everyday can be different, one day you can be out on patrol in the Puget Sound, another day you can be responding to a Search and Rescue call for an overturned boat. You're unit consists of a small group of shipmates where you will gain a sense of camaraderie. Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, On-base privileges, Educational Benefits. It's a beautiful thing.
Pros
Builds a solid foundation.
Cons
n/a
United States Coast Guard
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 8, 2016
I loved it for the most part with the exception of being on duty and away from home. I did get to see a lot of interesting and exciting things while I was in.
Very competitive and enjoyable
Radioman (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AK and Cape May, NJFebruary 4, 2016
Depending on your job it was very standardized, I learned so much
mostly what it take to be an man and to be responsible. I learned
about search and rescue abilities.
management or superior were good and crew were all good to work
with.
Being precise and skillful in your job title
Being in the Coast Guard was like being in a adventure
Pros
You got to see the world
Cons
You were away from your love ones
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Great People, Interesting Projects, Everyone Working as a Team,
Difficulty was getting a new supervisor every three years. The camaraderie was the most enjoyable.
Hard work
Deckhand/ Mate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2016
This job was amazing. I worked in San Diego California and loved every minute of it. the work you do is all about helping people and I wouldn't change that for the world.
Coast Guard is a great community
Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 24, 2016
The Coast Guard is a great place to work. You are essentially guarding the coast and make sure that bad things don't happen and if they do you are there for respond. My experience was that of a watch stander (shift work) which is what much of the Coast Guard is. You are there to respond to disasters, SAR and other events. This is the best part of the job, the satisfaction you get from helping with these events.
Pros
job security, training, benefits
Cons
shift work, deployments, long hours
There is no better job than saving lives for a living!
Chief Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2016
- Lots of travel around the world

- Great opportunities for advancement

- Pride in serving your country

I really enjoyed my time in the Coast Guard and I encourage any young person who can't figure out what to do with their life to join!
Taught me self discipline and determination.
Military (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed the comradity of my CG militant family. Leadership accountability was not evenly distributed. I suggest using leadership skills and distributing personnel accordingly by their strengths (if they are having a hard time adjusting to their current assignment). This way everybody wins and no one gets left behind without (government) reprisal.
Pros
You can advance as fast as you would like to study and a chance to travel the world
Cons
Need more mentoring with sincere intentions for underlings
Great career with many benefits
Electronics Technician First Class (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 20, 2016
I have spent over a decade in the Coast Guard and I've enjoyed every day of it. Great people, honest mission, and the benefits are unbelievable!
It's not the place it used to be
Senior Oracle/Sybase Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kearneysville, WVJanuary 19, 2016
After churning commands it continues to get worse! Numerous benefits continue to be pulled and moral is at a all time low
Great experience
public relations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2015
The training and job experience I received from the Coast Guard stands top notch. I loved my professional duties and the wonderful shipmates I worked with. As a public affairs specialist I felt fortunate to see all aspects of the Coast Guard as I frequently worked with many units spanning across three states. The two supervisors I was fortunate to work for turned out to be brilliant mentors and I am very thankful to have worked alongside them.
Pros
benefits, learning experience, coworkers are great
Cons
advancement is slow
30 Year Coast Guard Career
Machinery Technician Chief (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKDecember 28, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my career in the military, I explored many avenues to ensure I could be of use in any situation, I always took on more responsibilities than was expected of me. I wanted to ensure that people knew that there was nothing I would ask them to do that I wouldn't do
Pros
Experience
Cons
Away from family
Amazing place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2015
It is a great job, I loved being in the service. Management cares about your development and the people you work with our great. It is hard to say a typical day due to the fact that each unit is different. The most enjoyable aspect of my career Search & Rescue.
Pros
The mission
Cons
Move a lot, long hours
The Coast Guard is a great organization.
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 19, 2015
The Coast Guard has been a great job. During my enlistment I learned leadership, teamwork, discipline and structure. With the skills I've acquired in the Coast Guard combined with the veteran benefits, I have been set up for a successful life.
Pros
Great benefits, wide range of training and job experience.
Cons
Sometimes this job requires you to spend a lot of time away from your family.
Professional atmosphere trade skills looked upon and consulted for various complex construction projects from design to completetion
Construction Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIDecember 17, 2015
Completely satisfied with career path. Looking to pursue same type of atmospere in the private sector. Leverage my 26 years of military experience and training to further adhance career goals.
Awesome
Machinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Monterey Bay, CADecember 14, 2015
I am glad to have served my country under the Coast Guard. I had some of the the aest and worst times of my life. I still have friends that Ive served with over 20 years ago.
Pros
team
Cons
Awesome for career oriented people
E-3 FIREMAN (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers Beach, FLDecember 14, 2015
Great job where travel is the job. Expect to learn a lot of information in a short period of time. A great place to meet life long friends no matter how far the distance.
US Coast Guard
Command Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 11, 2015
An outstanding organization who keep americas waterways safe and help the general boating public.

The Coast guard on average comletes all missions assigned on a daily basis.

Search and Rescue is a core component.
Pros
Travel
Cons
None I can think of
good job for people who like to travel
seaman recruit (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJDecember 7, 2015
good people and great training to prepare you for the real world crisis you might encounter being in the coast guard. i didn't stay in for my full time i decided to not stay because my family meant more to me than seeing the world in the coast guard.
Pros
nice people
Cons
travel
Productive and well-trained military branch
E4, Boatswainsmate (Current Employee) –  Clearwater Beach, FLNovember 29, 2015
Typical day is unpredictable therefore, training is very thorough and diverse. Coworkers are competent due to high ASVAB score requirements. Superiors are generally cooperative but, stern in an efficient manner.

4.5