U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,020 reviews matching the search
Self fulfilling and rewarding service
Chief Boatswain's Mate (Former Employee) –  world wideJuly 14, 2016
The U.S. Coast Guard is a rewarding career. It is all about working as a team to reach a common goal and complete your missions. The Coast Guard has the best sailors in the world and limits are endless to further your career. The toughest part is being away from your families for months at a time when stationed on the bigger ships. My most enjoyable part of the Coast Guard is piloting/navigating the bigger ships and being out to sea for months at a time.
Pros
Being out to sea and great shipmates
Cons
being away from family
Disciplined and dedicated environment
Health Promotion Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 22, 2016
The job is rewarding to say the least. Everyday you walk into work knowing you are going to do something for the benefit of all the members serving. I learned how to be an effective leader, how to help those who could not manage to lose weight to stay in compliance with regulation. I learned responsibility and dedication early on and how to sacrifice your time for the need of the service. Balance is key and they made sure to give you the time off if needed.
Pros
Serving others
Cons
You have to live in places where the service is needed
Highly rewarding service as a member of the USCG Reserve
Boatswains Mate - Petty Officer 2rd Class (Current Employee) –  Anywhere USAJune 7, 2016
Part time job has turned into a full time career for the past few years.
I decided to dedicate my life to the service of the country.
My time in the Coast Guard has been some of the best recent years career wise.
Camaraderie is great.
work perks are amazing - driving a boat for work, joint training with other military and federal agencies in other assets such as aircraft or other vehicles.
Saving life and property have been the most memorable moments of the job. Nothing compares.
Pros
Management proactively recognizes efforts and rewards you as such. Education Benefits
Cons
not a con - but hours can be long, but expected with search and rescue mission calls over the radio.
Excellent Workplace, long hours, fulfilling environment
Operations Specialist, Graphic Designer, Webmaster (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 14, 2016
I worked rotating 12 hour shifts standing a communications watch. Most work was done independently and communicated to superiors as a part of a team. Training was regularly provided and a lot of this was while on the job. The hardest part of the job was the rotating hours. The most enjoyable part was actively participating in saving lives.
A great experience like no other
E-6; Marine Science Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2016
Retirement came too soon. The Coast Guard provided me and my family the care and dedication as much I provided to it. Not only did I give my all to this branch of service, but I truly believe that I received the same in return. Education and career development was always in the forefront side by side with full-filling operational obligations.
Pros
education, career development, medical benifits, vast experiences
Cons
travel and uprooting family, advancement process
Good job if you have a 4 year plan to use the GI Bill
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 20, 2016
I should have used the educational benefits while on Active Duty, I did receive some quality training that makes me a viable candidate for many different jobs though. Unfortunately the Coast Guard likes to get people good at a lot of things, but doesn't allow their members to be great at any one thing due to being spread so thin. If you're an expert at one part of your job they won't keep you there.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Workout time, Educational Benefits
Cons
Odd hours, inconsistent leadership, poor decision making, illogical
Hard work, can be rewarding
Gunners Mate Second Class (Former Employee) –  multiple locationsMay 20, 2016
Usually two meals a day are provided for you. The work you provide is a wide range of what your designator is to scrubbing down hallways (military doesn't hire janitors) . Some weeks you work to the bones for days on end, others you get to relax. This is nice because it lets you recover, and prepare for harder workweeks.
Pros
health care, educations
Cons
service is getting smaller, and so is the budget, underfunded
Friendly environment with hard working professionals
Program Manager / Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 11, 2016
A typical day at work consist of standard projects with a good amount of time to complete tasks. People are always willing to help and it's a great place to meet professionals. There are times which you have short deadlines but people here are a team and will jump in to help whenever needed.
Pros
Organization cares about promoting health and promoting its people.
Disciplined and productive workplace
Military (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJJune 30, 2016
There is no typical day in the USCG everyday is a new challenge. I've learned to perfect orders given to me. Stressful workplace due to incentive training. Working with people from all over the country and world. the hardest part of the job is being punished when not doing the job properly. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and making friends for life.
A Life Opportunity
Engineer/Fireman (Current Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDMay 16, 2016
The Coast Guard has many positions that a Coastee can enjoy. The overall job is very rewarding because we ensure the safety of others and save lives. We are a small organization so people look out for you like a family would. There's great benefits such a time off, consistent pay, and medical benefits that comes with being a service member.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Needs more leadership classes for supervisors
Best government agency for your tax paying dollars.
Chief Machinery Technician, Collateral Duties (Former Employee) –  NHJuly 8, 2016
Big Job, Small service. Pack your bag sailor. More responsible duties than most can endure especially for someone under 25.
Life can be tough while your away, but in reality your missing nothing and doing more with your life than those at home in the boring world.
Pros
Extreme multi-tasking
Cons
Extreme multi-tasking
USCG Information Systems Technician
Information Security Officer & Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Point Reyes Station, CAJune 20, 2016
Usual schedule on land units is 7-3
Most days are spent working in a team environment
Many opportunities for additional training
Work in most fields of IT
toughest part of the job is being relocated regularly
Best part of the job is the workshop environment
benefits
Cons
time spent away from family
Great benefits, but a very impersonal environment.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical work day depended on what type of unit I worked at. At a command center, I would field calls from the public on distressed mariners or law enforcement needs. On a Cutter, we were underway for months at a time and worked around the clock shifts to conduct search and rescue and law enforcement missions. I learned that I am very resilient person and that I can adapted to almost any situation. I also learned how to manage other people in a high stress environment. In the Coast Guard, you meet alot of different type of people and personalities, so for the most part, my co-workers were enjoyable to work with and most of them I keep in contact with as friends. The hardest part of my job, is one ever I had to leave my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable would be the travel I got to do around the country.
Overall a very relaxed place to work at.
Command Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Angeles, WA 98362April 5, 2016
Some days it seems like the clock will never move because it's slow. Then there are days where I go "where did the day go?" Overall, very nice place to work at. Supervisors are very lenient and give a lot of administrative time off. Allow me to work extra hours in lieu of taking annual or sick leave. The hardest part of this job for me was learning ranks as I've never worked for the military before. I was at the opposite end of the spectrum - got the retirees or discharged from the military at the VA. I learned how to manage a website with this job.
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
No permanent position for civilians
Overall rating is satisfactory
Lead Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
8-10 hours a day.
I mostly already knew the positions prior to promotion eligability due to having the USAF active duty supply chain experience. Air Force training was so far ahead of the USCG in the supply chain operations.
Mangement needs to work with employees and not be bias toward other service branches.
Co-workers need sensitive training within the office environment.
Nothing was hard about the job. Most of the new hires I worked with had no expereince in the position selected.

I really enjoyed my job!! Knew more than management which hinder my advancement
Pros
They beleive in tele-working of their employees. No accountability on time and attendance.
Cons
Management and GS positions are given to retired CG personnel, No expereince within the position, Retired federal service personnel rehired as contractors
U.S. Military Branch, specializing in search-and-rescue, migrant interdiction, and more.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 23, 2016
Enlisted military member. Official job title was that of Food Service Specialist. Cooked breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts for members of the Armed Forces. Learned mass cooking, different cooking techniques, how to season and taste, baking different items from scratch, time efficiency, multi-tasking, management of those a lower rank. Management was demanding, but also willing to teach new techniques. Co-workers were well versed in different cooking techniques, each had their own unique skills to bring to the table. Hardest part of job was being away from home and 12-14 hour workdays. Most enjoyable part of the job was succeeding in making a delicious meal that people enjoyed.
Pros
Great benefits, pay, insurance
Cons
Demanding and unrealistic supervisors, long work-days
Best foot forward
Damage Control Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape May,NJ/ Portsmouth,VA/ Kodiak, AKJune 14, 2016
Everyone has their opinions on the military but it does shape you for the best. I have been given training that would have cost me thousands to go alone in the years i served. The USCG has taught me honor, respect, and devotion to duty while holding myself and others to personal integrity which a lot of people lack.
The most exciting and challeging work experience of my life.
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 13, 2016
Their is no typical wok day but the hours range from 8 to 10 hours days depending on the task at hand. Every day was a new experience. Military and contractors worked in extension of one another, complementing each other in the common goal
to modify and hone new and improved aircraft systems.
productive workplace
Food and Beverage Manager/Culinarian (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 11, 2016
The Coast Guard is one of our nation’s five military services. Our motto—honor, respect, and devotion to duty—is the compass that guides our mission to defend and preserve the United States of America. We protect the personal safety and security of our people; the marine transportation system and infrastructure; our natural and economic resources; and the territorial integrity of our nation–from both internal and external threats, natural and man-made. We protect these interests in U.S. ports, inland waterways, along the coasts, and on international waters.
Pros
travei
Cons
na
Search and Rescue
Seaman (Former Employee) –  Ilwaco, WAMarch 20, 2016
Responsibilities held while on duty are but are not limited to:
Respond to Search and rescue cases as a qualified boat crew member.
Conduct post search and rescue boarding's to check for vessel violation as a boarding team member.
Answer/monitor stations phones and radios for mariners in distress as well as conduct regular front desk
transfers and message taking as a communications watch stander.

4.5