U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Found 1,252 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun to work. Exercise Leadership traits and balance a family life
International Branch Director (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJuly 18, 2017
Great Place to work
Professional, innovative Projects result with outstanding Leadership skills with resolve. One can earn years of management and operational experience to effectively safeguarding people and property by improving Health, Safety and Environmental processes while maintaining compliance for shore side facilities and other fields of work.
Great Benifits
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 17, 2017
The Coast Guard is part of the U.S. Military. Offers a 20 year retirement. The advancement is not fair to everyone. If you are a good test taker and a below average worker you have a better chance of advancing than an above average worker and bad test taker.
Pros
Early retirement
Cons
advancement
Great place to work.
Electronics Technician First Class (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 11, 2017
A typical work day consist of teaching and training future electronics technicians. What I have learned that when a student is struggling with electronics maintenance and theory, I must show them other options in learning and troubleshooting. Management support was great and other technicians would assist.

The workplace or classroom was relaxing and the students knew their expectations. The hardest part of the job was troubleshooting a ghost problem before a unit is deployed. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people from around the world and traveling throughout the U.S.
Pros
Travelingand helping other units around the U.S.
Cons
Going out to sea for a long period time and getting sea sick.
Military contract
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 10, 2017
Active duty military, not your average job consist of a military contract for a certain amount of yours. depending on your military preference . Job itself has a lot of job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
its hard work, but worth it
Boating Saftey Examiner V.E. Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 8, 2017
It was hard work but im glad i did it. It gave me new Responsiblitits. its awesome to see the stuff i saw. I loved every moment of it. I have made new friends.
Pros
learning new responsibility.
Cons
deciding where to be at the time.
Professional environment to gain skills, experience and provide service.
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  North Bend, ORJuly 7, 2017
The US Coast Guard is a great organization to work for. Offering many types of jobs in which advancement opportunities are often abundant. The option to perform land, air and sea going duties offers many types of experiences and skillsets.
Pros
Benifits, travel, job security
Cons
deployments, schedule, remote locations
I recommend the military to everyone
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 6, 2017
The military is a lifestyle. You work hard and you play hard.The benefits are among the best in the nation. Advancements are up to you, but readily available. I may have worked a lot of hours, but I was given many days off to compensate. The Coast Guard was great!
Best Job Ever
Electronics Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2017
I served for 20 years. The benefits, travel and the people you will meet and work with you will remember for a life time. I highly recommend serving.
Best Military Service
AVIATION MAINTENANCE CHIEF (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2017
Great benefits, education, experiences. If you have a humanitarian personality, then the Coast Guard is for you. Nothing feels better than culminating a search and rescue case with a positive rescue and life saved. Plus you'll gain real life job experiences instead of continually training for the moment to arrive.
Pros
Education
Cons
Deployments and/or overnight duty.
Diverse work place, with great benefits.
CERTIFIED DEFENSE FINANCIAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 3, 2017
The US Coast Guard provides great opportunity and benefits for a multitude of professions. The challenges of the Coast Guard involve travel and time spent away from your family.
Pros
Adventure and medical benefits
Cons
Constantly moving and time spent away from family.
loved it
Seaman (Former Employee) –  Hampton Bays, NYJuly 3, 2017
never know what the day would be. learn many things about ships, boats. working with other boaters near your stations. love being around the ocean and sea; hardest part keeping up with all the daily training
Excellent Experience
Second Class Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 2, 2017
Great outfit to work for they provide everything you need to get started out in the world. Great benefits decent pay always have a roof over your head and they provide you with an opportunity to go to college which pushed me in.
Pros
You're always moving around to new places
Cons
You're always moving around to new places
Molded Leadership
Petty Officer Third Class (Current Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIJuly 1, 2017
The Coast Guard gave me the leadership and character skills succeed in the civilian work force. I would have to lead people under me and taxtvthem with various projects, lead them on law enforcement teams, and over see maintenance.

I was fortunate to have great leadership who really took the time to help me develop my leadership style.

The biggest downfall was having to move every 3-4 years. It makes it difficult to settle down and raise a family.
Pros
Benefits, Structure, Job securities
Cons
relocation every few years, balancing family life.
Productive work environement
Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2017
There was a lot of opportunity for advancement and learning/training. some of my duty stations were great. The commodity built with my shipmates was once in a life time friendships.
Pros
advancement opportunities, pay and benefits, great duty stations
Cons
lacking in leadership in some areas.
Fast paced job, team work is a must, the ultimate sacrifice for your country.
Housing Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 30, 2017
I have served in the United States Navy as an Operations Specialist and in the United States Coast Guard as a Damage Controlman for 16 years. I can never forget the shipmates and the communities I have served for. It's been an honor to serve for my country and I'm looking forward to the next chapter in my life in the civilian sector.
Pros
Great benefits such as retirement, medical and leave
Cons
deployments
Good opportunity to make a career.
Port Security Specialists and Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJune 29, 2017
Typical day at work is trainings to ensure you stay up-to-date with job changes, ordering supplies for military personnel to be able to do their jobs proficiently. Management for Base Portsmouth was well aware of each service members needs. The workplace culture is fine. The hardest part of the job was gaining access to certain systems to complete jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to different states for various trainings.
Benefits
Cons
Weight Program
Outlook on Military
FF team leader, 3rd Class Petty Officer (Former Employee) –  NE, N.C., Florida, TXJune 29, 2017
The days are stressful usually because the demand you to do your job and do it right. They hold everyone accountable and push everyone to become the best they can be.

I learned initiative and ambition are the key attributes everyone needs to make it anywhere in the world.

The hardest part of the job is the sacrifices you make with being away from family and constantly relocating.

Most enjoyable by far is the comradery, I miss the men and women I served with all the time.

Most beneficial part I learned is persistence, problem-solving, and resource development.
Pros
Security and professionalism
Cons
Time away from family
Productive and fun work place
Seaman Recruit (E-1) (Former Employee) –  Cape May, NJJune 29, 2017
Great work environment with the ability to grow as an individual while impacting the lives of people that are in need of the services all over the world.
Great military lifestyle
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2017
The Coast Guard is an excellent source of training and education for those willing to maintain a military lifestyle. The low number of members means that each individual will have the opportunity for high levels of responsibility and diverse work.
Very busy but rewarding
Supervisor and weapons technician (Former Employee) –  VariousJune 26, 2017
This was the most rewarding job I have ever had. I felt the job I did mattered and I was important and valued. They take very good care of their members and are the best at what they do!
If you are looking to do a worthwhile job, this is the one for you!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5