U.S. Coast Guard

U.S. Coast Guard Employer Reviews

great place to work
Boatswain Mate (Current Employee), paducah, KYSeptember 19, 2014
Great place to work. Great people to work with. the management is with the ranking system
loved the job
ARMORY SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Seward AKSeptember 19, 2014
You meet a lot of different people. You have the opportunity to do a lot travelling while in the coast guard.
excellent job
Electricians mate (Former Employee), united staesSeptember 18, 2014
great moral, lots of travel, many benefits. one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Excellent
Regional Supervisor (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: wearing the coast guard uniform for 20 years, 30 days a year of leave
Cons: moving every 4 years
Typical day for me in the Coast Guard usually started at 5:15am when I left my house to beat the I-66 traffic, and my day was filled with challenges/accomplishments of assisting my 55 recruiters that where all on the West Coast while I was on the East Coast did what they needed to do to make the Coast Guard mission.

Over my 20 years in the Coast Guard – more... I learned a lot of stuff that I fill will assist me in performing well with your company. I have over 20 years of experience in Human Resources, i have 5 plus years of management experience, and I have also 8 years of managing budgets.

My management skills have been acquired by networking with other supervisors that I work with over my 20 year career. I feel that in my last position as Regional Supervisor for the West Coast Region, I was able to assist my recruiters thru my leadership experience to do what they could do to make the Coast Guard Mission. I know that I always informed them that I was always available to them no matter the time of day.

I had great co-workers while I was in the Coast Guard, and a lot of them are still my friends to this day. Most of all of my co-workers shared the same work ethic of play hard first and then you can have fun.

I think the hardest part of my 20 year career was knowing that every 4 years i would have to up route my family and leave all of our friends.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing at the end of the day you represented your country proudly and the sense of pride knowing that I was able to serve my country like my grandfather, father, and uncle did before me. – less
Work in communications devision
Communications (Current Employee), Cape Cod, MASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: travel
Test communications equipment.
Monitor assets that require communication
A fantastic career
Chief Warrant Officer (Former Employee), All over the United StatesSeptember 15, 2014
A great career that gave me the chance to see parts of the world that I never thought I would see in my life time. The Coast Guard truly looks out for it's personnel. You are not just one of the mass or a number. You can go as far as you put the effort too. I was blessed to go from the lowest rank after boot camp all the way up to a Chief Warrant Officer – more... 4. – less
Good Job
Boatswains Mate (Former Employee), Macon, NCSeptember 13, 2014
Operational: SAR cases, law enforcement
Managerial: personal and departmental
How to manage people and how to get through the worst situations.
Management is "OK" politics plays a big part.
Co-workes were some of the best people I have ever meant.
The hardest part was politics
The most enjoyable was saving people and building bonds with co-workers.
Multi Mission
Petty Officer First Class (Current Employee), Michigan City, INSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: something different every day
Reserve Duty-Boat Operations on Lake Michigan. Various vessel platforms, and multiple different missions to ensure safety and security of the waterways.
Great experience
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), San Pedro, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: everything is paid for
Cons: military life
No such thing as a typical day. Jobs and assignments always vary with lots of changing environments. Great job satisfaction and benefits.
Great learning experience.
Gauge Calibration Technician (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: work out time, hour long lunches, and benefits
Typical day of work if working locally consisted of scheduling gauge and meter calibrations dates and local calibrations. Otherwise our team was on the road traveling to our customers for calibrations. Hardest part of my job was balancing gauge calibration duties and electrical maintenance duties, while traveling 30+ weeks of the year. Most enjoyable – more... part of my job was how challenging it was to manage and balance both of my duties. – less
See the world
Boat Crew Engineer (Former Employee), Buzzards Bay ,MASeptember 9, 2014
Pros: seeing the world
Cons: being away from family
Learn how to take responsibilities, work as a team.

Seeing the world.

serving my country
Challenging workplace where every day was something new
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Port Angeles, WASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: companionship, great bosses, flexible hours
Cons: being away from family
A typical day at work depended on the different duty stations I was assigned. On some days you were required to put in a full 12 hour shift. My main duties involved monitoring emergency channels during the entire 12 hour shift. Some days were slower than others. I learned a lot about teamwork, handling high pressure situations, working in a challenging – more... environment when the case might change from minute to minute. I had great managers who always tried to make sure we had all of the tools we needed to complete our mission. The hardest parts of the job were the long, tedious, sometimes slow hours and then needing to shift into high gear with very little notice. The most enjoyable part of my job was being about to help others during sometimes the worst part of their day or their life. – less
The most outstanding and pivotal moments of my life.
Logistics Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 2, 2014
There is nowhere, where you can work, saving lives, helping other, while being intrigued every day than the military. In my opinion everyone should have to do at least three years, in any branch. It was the most amazing time, I learned my life long career skill, along with how to really perform under some well acknowledge demands.
USCG
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee), alxandria bay, nySeptember 2, 2014
Great job with great benefits. Leadership is hit or miss. Advancements lock up depending on your rate. Long hours for the pay given but the benefits make up for it.
You get what you ask for
Health Service Technician (Current Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: good pay and advancement
Cons: 8 year contract. skills don't transfer into real world
Its the military. Its hard work, long hours, but great benefits and pay. Go to as many schools as you can.
A memorable experience in my life helping and serving.
AVIATION SURVIVAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
The Coast Guard was a great opportunity to serve my county, give back to my country and allow me to be a part of a service that upholds integrity and core values. It was trialing at times dealing with the abrupt or unconventional work schedule, but eventually balanced itself out with promotion.
Great for an office person
contractor (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 28, 2014
Great if you want to work in an office as a ctr. Contract work is a good time and pay is well. I worked in DC and the new building is out of the way and not in a good location. That is my only complaint.
constantly working out, and learning in the classrooms
Seaman Recruit (Former Employee), Cape May, NJAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good pay, healthcare, dental
Cons: long hours, short breaks
During my time as a seaman recruit we were also looking sharp, in shape, and learning new thing on the job.
I am committed to my country.
E-3 Fireman (Former Employee), Middletown, CAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: the entire experience.
Cons: i should have continued my enlistment and become a pilot.
I could not have chosen a more satisfying branch of our military.
Best job in the world. Very rewarding
Petty Officer Third Class (Former Employee), worldwideAugust 25, 2014
Pros: advancement opportunitys
Cons: death
• Honorable Discharge
• Station Master at Arms, supervised maintenance of buildings, equipment and vessels
• Led routine boat maintenance
• Conducted homeland security patrols, security escorts and protection of critical infrastructure
• Assisted with search & rescue mission, drug and counter terrorism patrols
• Crane and boat davit operator
• Shipboard – more... firefighter
• Assisted in joint operational drug and migrant patrols in the Caribbean during deployments
• Aided in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts
• Team Leader/NCO
• Investigate terrorist threats, and drug Intel, and boating accidents. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. – Read more