U.S. Coast Guard Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,018 reviews matching the search
Coast Guard is a great community
Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 24, 2016
The Coast Guard is a great place to work. You are essentially guarding the coast and make sure that bad things don't happen and if they do you are there for respond. My experience was that of a watch stander (shift work) which is what much of the Coast Guard is. You are there to respond to disasters, SAR and other events. This is the best part of the job, the satisfaction you get from helping with these events.
Pros
job security, training, benefits
Cons
shift work, deployments, long hours
This was a good position because the work involved a skill which I had mastered as a paralegal.
FOIA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2015
A typical day was to be productive, get along well, accept new challenges and to work hard. The opportunity to work closely within a group allowed me to get to know my colleagues.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to perfect my skills and to get to make new associates in my areas of work. The management team was easy bur a challenge to get along with and most time fair in their decisions of making choices on assignments and office politics.

Unfortunately, as the work began to be completed contracts began to expire and many staff members were no longer around.
Fast paced exciting work environment
manager (Former Employee) –  wilmette ilJanuary 26, 2016
Every day was a new exciting experience.
The coast guard helped me hone my leadership and management skills.
I developed my strong organizational skill sand my ability to multi task in a demanding environment.
The hardest part of the job was making timely decisions that could result in life or death.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being a strong leader and being there for my community.
Pros
A family like work place
Cons
Long hours with limited family time
Excellent environment
Attorney-Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2016
(Note that website did not allow me to enter ratings for Management or Job Culture, for each of which I would award 5 stars)

The Coast Guard is the best client I have ever had. Superb professional military and civilian colleagues.
Pros
Supportive professional environment
Cons
Weekly absences from home due to agency policy and my living arrangements
Great experience
public relations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2015
The training and job experience I received from the Coast Guard stands top notch. I loved my professional duties and the wonderful shipmates I worked with. As a public affairs specialist I felt fortunate to see all aspects of the Coast Guard as I frequently worked with many units spanning across three states. The two supervisors I was fortunate to work for turned out to be brilliant mentors and I am very thankful to have worked alongside them.
Pros
benefits, learning experience, coworkers are great
Cons
advancement is slow
Best Job I ever had..
Machinery Technician Third Class (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKMarch 3, 2016
Lived on a small ship and maintained all the machinery. We did search and rescue. The fellowship among the other sailors was so amazing that some of us are still close today. There was a high morale, good food and the fact that I could save someone's life at any moment made it a great adventure. There was a lot of time off when not on the ship. I learned an enormous of things from first aid and self-defense to lead abatement and firefighting. The hardest part of the job was the late hours through out the night as well as the cold Alaskan waters. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I was able to help protect the country.
Pros
Good benefits, more than you could imagine.
Cons
Its a little hard to get the benefits..
Amazing place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2015
It is a great job, I loved being in the service. Management cares about your development and the people you work with our great. It is hard to say a typical day due to the fact that each unit is different. The most enjoyable aspect of my career Search & Rescue.
Pros
The mission
Cons
Move a lot, long hours
Best Job in the U.S. Military
Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Marblehead, OHFebruary 19, 2016
Spent time in New Jersey, Virginia and the Ohio coast of Lake Erie. Fantastic job and should be considered by anyone thinking of serving. Advancement is completely on you and half your income (BAH) isn't taxed! Hard to beat that. Completely free medical (for now) with the ability to earn 50% of your base pay after 20 years of service every year for the rest of your life. That means you could potentially be 38 with a substantial monthly income and just getting started on another career. Military retirement isn't designed to be a sole source of income but could be depending on lifestyle. Wouldn't trade my time in the military for anything.
Pros
Search and Rescue, Medical, Dental, Experiences
Best Decision Ever
Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 8, 2016
Joining the US Coast Guard has been the best professional decision I have ever made. I met great people, and made great friends. A typical day at work includes morning Physical Training (PT), a morning brief for the plan of the day, and getting out on the water. Everyday can be different, one day you can be out on patrol in the Puget Sound, another day you can be responding to a Search and Rescue call for an overturned boat. You're unit consists of a small group of shipmates where you will gain a sense of camaraderie. Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, On-base privileges, Educational Benefits. It's a beautiful thing.
Pros
Builds a solid foundation.
Cons
n/a
A good place for personal development.
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Providence, RINovember 18, 2015
A structured and productive workplace that yielded a stable work/life balance. This assignment was all about what you make of it so I used my time to attend night classes. Compared to other military units, this place was slow paced, yet our mission was very important. I met some great people and really got to focus on my personal life while I continued to serve our country.
Pros
Sense of honor, excitement, job security and upward mobility
Cons
Locational stability, dangerous, physically demanding

Want to know more about U.S. Coast Guard?

Ask a question
Horrible place to work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Management is a bunch of people who only care about what is on their daily reports and reporting zero issues to higher ups regardless of any real problems.

Most of the coworkers will turn on you the second something goes wrong hoping you are the one who gets the blame.

You will never get better than meets on your evaluations regardless of what you do or how well you do it.

Who ever heard of doing factory style piece work in accounting??? If you don't make your quota you are gone.
Pros
You are probably term so it will be over soon.
Cons
You are probably term and you will never get a permanent position which might actually be a Pro.
Overall rating is satisfactory
Lead Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2016
8-10 hours a day.
I mostly already knew the positions prior to promotion eligability due to having the USAF active duty supply chain experience. Air Force training was so far ahead of the USCG in the supply chain operations.
Mangement needs to work with employees and not be bias toward other service branches.
Co-workers need sensitive training within the office environment.
Nothing was hard about the job. Most of the new hires I worked with had no expereince in the position selected.

I really enjoyed my job!! Knew more than management which hinder my advancement
Pros
They beleive in tele-working of their employees. No accountability on time and attendance.
Cons
Management and GS positions are given to retired CG personnel, No expereince within the position, Retired federal service personnel rehired as contractors
U.S. Military Branch, specializing in search-and-rescue, migrant interdiction, and more.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 23, 2016
Enlisted military member. Official job title was that of Food Service Specialist. Cooked breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts for members of the Armed Forces. Learned mass cooking, different cooking techniques, how to season and taste, baking different items from scratch, time efficiency, multi-tasking, management of those a lower rank. Management was demanding, but also willing to teach new techniques. Co-workers were well versed in different cooking techniques, each had their own unique skills to bring to the table. Hardest part of job was being away from home and 12-14 hour workdays. Most enjoyable part of the job was succeeding in making a delicious meal that people enjoyed.
Pros
Great benefits, pay, insurance
Cons
Demanding and unrealistic supervisors, long work-days
Highly rewarding service as a member of the USCG Reserve
Boatswains Mate - Petty Officer 2rd Class (Current Employee) –  Anywhere USAJune 7, 2016
Part time job has turned into a full time career for the past few years.
I decided to dedicate my life to the service of the country.
My time in the Coast Guard has been some of the best recent years career wise.
Camaraderie is great.
work perks are amazing - driving a boat for work, joint training with other military and federal agencies in other assets such as aircraft or other vehicles.
Saving life and property have been the most memorable moments of the job. Nothing compares.
Pros
Management proactively recognizes efforts and rewards you as such. Education Benefits
Cons
not a con - but hours can be long, but expected with search and rescue mission calls over the radio.
Excellent Experience
Personnel Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wellesley Island, NYMay 23, 2016
The Coast Guard was a great experience and I miss it quite frequently. We would frequently engage in search and rescue cases or recreational boardings. The management was a little "hit or miss" sometimes in the military people rank up because of their knowledge of the service and not necessarily their leadership skills. Thankfully, I only ran into a couple of bad apples during my enlistment. My co-workers were like family. Even when we were not at work we would always spend time together. I have never found a better example of camaraderie than my time spend in the military. The hardest part of the job was some of the missions we would have to go on - we would not know the outcome. A lot of the search and rescue cases ended well, but there were a few that were not so lucky, it gets to you sometimes, but you have to stay strong. The most enjoyable part of the job was all of the amazing people that I met and the things I got to experience.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
A Type Personality Haven
Chief Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 2, 2015
A type personalities run rampant. Good old boy network. Management will evaluate you unfairly and management is very very poor. Equipment is outdated and parts were no longer available. Poor coworkers; everyone is out for themselves. You routinely move. Advancement is poor and training is poor. You rotate every few years so settling down is impossible. I did this to take care of my son and no other reason. Changes are rampant and are made by indviduals looking out for themselves. These other positive reviews are false.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement
Cons
Long hours, incompetent management
Good hard work, long days, but the best job ever.
Senior Chief Damage Controlman (Current Employee) –  all over the USApril 20, 2016
If you like to make a difference in your country and you like good hard work, then the Coast Guard (CG) is the best job ever. I have loved my 22 years and would not give up any of them for any other job. The only hard part is the time spent away from home and family. The pay and benefits cannot be beat and you hold your job security in your own hands (they won’t fire you unless you cannot follow the rules). The CG has some of the best senior enlisted and officers in the US military. The CG lives by its core values of Honor, Respect and Devotion to Duty so the culture I’ve lived in for the last 22 years boles down to “there are no men or women, blacks, whites, or any other shade of human in the CG. We are all just Coasties, and I have been proud to serve next to these fine upstanding American.
Pros
To many to name.
Cons
Long hours and lots of time away from home.
Good company to work for
PETTY OFFICER 3RD CLASS, FOOD SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Beach, NCOctober 6, 2015
A well respected and solid company in the deliver and management of shipped mail and goods. Provides a good service without the many regulations of the USPS for less cost. Corporate culture is professional but laid back enough that supervisors and entry level employees can communicate easily.
Pros
great entry levle postions
Cons
tough to advance
Excellent Organization
Senior Marine Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  NumerousFebruary 12, 2016
Retired from the U.S. Coast Guard with over 36 years of experience in the operations, manufacturing, maintenance, and repair of commercial passenger vessels, including extensive background in the design, production, installation, and repair of mechanical, hydraulic, electrical, and plumbing systems. I would Honestly highly recommend this type of career to anyone, without second thought.
I stayed 28 years because I loved working with and helping people both at work and saving lives on the water.
Command Senior Chief (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Great places to work as you move around every 2-4 years and get to see different things, meet different people, and do different jobs. It helps a person become very versatile with their abilities. All in all it's a great environment to learn, teach, and work.
Pros
privelages and benefits
Cons
office politics, change from working as a team to accomplish goals, to a cut throat individual accomplishment based mentality, to get jobs done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5